or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
With four days to go before the iPhone 5 becomes available, customers have begun lining up outside Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City in what has become an annual tradition.

Fifth Ave


Around 10 people were lined up outside the Apple Store on Monday to become among the first to own the new iPhone 5. Customers will be able to purchase Apple's latest handset at 8 a.m. local time this Friday.

Most of the customers who were in line Monday morning were hoping to gain attention for websites they were promoting, according to AppleInsider reader Ryan. A reporter from CBS New York program "The Couch" was also present to interview those waiting.

Fifth Ave


Demand for the new iPhone is at a fever pitch, with the handset on pace to become the fastest selling smartphone ever. Apple announced earlier Monday that preorders for the iPhone 5 reached 2 million in its first 24 hours of availability, more than doubling that of its predecessor, the iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 5 will officially go on sale to the public this Friday. With the initial batch of preorders sold out, waiting in line outside of an Apple retail store may be the only way some customers can get an iPhone 5 on its launch date.

Fifth Ave


Last year, sales of the iPhone 4S reached 4 million over the launch weekend, making it the fastest selling iPhone yet. The iPhone 5 is expected to handily beat that number, as it has already achieved a record number of preorders, and will debut in a total of 9 countries, making it Apple's largest launch ever.
post #2 of 78
DAMN! Already! Maybe I should get my ass over there.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #3 of 78
And how many are waiting outside the stores for Samsung launches? That is the difference.
post #4 of 78
These 'people waiting in line' are goofy. I guess trying to 'plug' whatever they have to sell is worth the 'line wait'.

I purchased a '4' on a preorder, kept it for 3 1/2 weeks until I couldn't stand the terrible reception/dropped calls anymore. I returned it, got my money back and waited for the next iPhone.

I did preorder the 4S because I saw Apple had fixed the antenna problems (with the dual antenna's) and since the 4S was more of a refresh than a totally new design (iPhone 4), I figured it was a safe gamble.

But I'll wait until all you folks provide me with some feedback on the 5 before I make that plunge. I don't need any unwanted surprises.
post #5 of 78
It's not like concert tickets where you might not get one if you don't camp out, or you want better seats.

The iPhone 5 will be here next week, month, etc. I don't see the reason to do it, personally, but, if you find it fun to wait in line, then so be it.
post #6 of 78
There's no reason to wait in line for Samsung products. The next big thing is only a few days away!
post #7 of 78
I wonder if/when Woz will turn up ?

It would be interesting to know how Apple fans feel about him, in light of his latest comments.
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Reply
post #8 of 78

Even I have to admit that this is a bit silly.....

 

But I suppose, if there are media willing to play it up and plaster your picture around the globe,why not.

post #9 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

And how many are waiting outside the stores for Samsung launches? That is the difference.

Doesn't Samsung advertise that you don't have to wait in line for their devices? I'm surprised they don't advertise "Now with a protective layer of dust to help keep ultraviolate radiation from discoloring your decorative iPhone I mean Galaxy box."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

It's not like concert tickets where you might not get one if you don't camp out, or you want better seats.
The iPhone 5 will be here next week, month, etc. I don't see the reason to do it, personally, but, if you find it fun to wait in line, then so be it.

I plan on heading to the store come Friday. I'll gladly wait in line but anything over an hour and I'll try my luck another day.

I can't imaging these people are there for 5 days. How do they eat? How do they use the bathroom? How to the recharge their devices? It just seems boring. Even at that store iN NYC come friday you might wait several hours but it'll be a moving line and surely not in a line that lasts for 5 days.

Aren't they in school or have jobs to go to? I guess if you are a programmer or someone else who can work remotely you could at least be productive but surely not as productive as you could otherwise be.


PS: I hear iFixit will be sending someone to New Zealand again this year to buy early and then do the teardown before it's on sale or delivered to the rest of the world. Let's hoe this year the guy remembers to tell the NZ press who he works for. (edit: Make that Australia. NZ doesn't get it until the 28th.)
Edited by SolipsismX - 9/17/12 at 6:55am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 78

Naaaaah...

 

wouldnt want to do that.  I have lived 40 years without an iphone 5, another couple of weeks is not going to kill me.

 

But where is my damn ipod touch.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #11 of 78

WTH? New York City doesn't have pre-order or a Radio Shack to run up in on Friday - no one will think to go to there. Silly people, go to class or work or get out and look for work - at the least help your mom clean the house.

post #12 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

...at the least help your mom clean the house.

I'm thinking their moms are just happy they are out of the house for a change. :D

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Even I have to admit that this is a bit silly.....

But I suppose, if there are media willing to play it up and plaster your picture around the globe,why not.

If that were the case, I'd want to look better than a hobo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Doesn't Samsung advertise that you don't have to wait in line for their devices? I'm surprised they don't advertise "Now with a protective layer of dust to help keep ultraviolate radiation from discoloring your decorative iPhone I mean Galaxy box."
I plan on heading to the store come Friday. I'll gladly wait in line but anything over an hour and I'll try my luck another day.
I can't imaging these people are there for 5 days. How do they eat? How do they use the bathroom? How to the recharge their devices? It just seems boring. Even at that store iN NYC come friday you might wait several hours but it'll be a moving line and surely not in a line that lasts for 5 days.
Aren't they in school or have jobs to go to? I guess if you are a programmer or someone else who can work remotely you could at least be productive but surely not as productive as you could otherwise be.

I certainly wouldn't want to leave my belongings unattended to take care of basic needs. I'm not sure what the agenda is here, I've never waited in line for a phone, the folks in a white or brown panel vans deliver things to me. Also, I see a forecast that calls for overnight lows of 55 (F), storms and showers this week.
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I wonder if/when Woz will turn up ?
It would be interesting to know how Apple fans feel about him, in light of his latest comments.

 

Jobs without Woz = successful

Woz without Jobs = ???


Edited by makingdots - 9/17/12 at 7:17am
post #15 of 78

WHAT do they do for bathrooms, food, recharging their electronics, etc.......?  Anybody know or anybody been there?

post #16 of 78

If all you know of the Fifth Avenue Apple store is from images such as these, you might be unaware that one of the most fabulous locations in NYC is just over your shoulder.  Of course, Central Park and at this time of year, for sure, an exciting place to be in its own right!

 

Hoping to secure an iP5 on Friday in a very different location... without queuing lol!

 

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #17 of 78
2 million handsets at an average $700/unit - $1.4 billion revenue. In 2 days! That will equal to about $700 million in profit.
Lets take the first weekend of sales at the same rate (2x iPhone4S) - 8 million handsets. $5.6 billion revenue, $2.8 billion in profit.

That's just a prediction, but Apple might be able to EARN (profit) $3.5 billion dollars during the iPhone 5 launch. WOW.
post #18 of 78
I love the picture of them all toiling away on their macbooks...classic!
post #19 of 78

This is the difference between Samsung and Apple. Apple products are really very adorable. Design with great finesse unlike Samsung!

post #20 of 78
A message to any Android user that's been spouting off any mis information.

Wah, wah, wah, wahhhhhhhh...

So, how come Android users are lined up when Samscum announces THEIR latest and greatest smartphone and how come these sales reps that sell S III's are given a $25 Spiff check during the beginning of the product release, rather than later? Could it be that that's the only way they can entice these sales reps to go around pushing product down people's throats?

Maybe next time, they won't be so smug. Friggin Iceholes.
post #21 of 78
I've always found ridiculous queuing for days for a product.
It would be funny if the NYPD came up and forced them to move since they are blocking the way.
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

These 'people waiting in line' are goofy. I guess trying to 'plug' whatever they have to sell is worth the 'line wait'.
.

Guaranteed press.

And Id rather see that that someone just there to sell the spot

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

WHAT do they do for bathrooms, food, recharging their electronics, etc.......?  Anybody know or anybody been there?

Those doing it for website press tend to wok in teams, do they trade off holding the spot

Those that aren't, well that's what protein bars, bottled water and the blanket are for.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Those doing it for website press tend to wok in teams, do they trade off holding the spot
Those that aren't, well that's what protein bars, bottled water and the blanket are for.

That's the thing though, all that for five days to get a phone a couple weeks earlier? They could have gotten up a few hours early on Friday morning too.
post #25 of 78

Has anyone just tried sitting in the store, given that it is open 24 hrs and has power, Internet (warmth, protection from rain, protection from muggings, great company)? Does Apple close the store prior to these releases? Staff member told me once that they are pretty relaxed with homeless folk who wander in and spend time there (although of course, not 4 days)!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #26 of 78

I know, if I end up getting a 5 (after I've read all your comments about the new phone), I can wait for it without waiting in a line somewhere.....

post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Hoping to secure an iP5 on Friday in a very different location... 

Yup, my front steps..... lol.gif

post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It would be funny if the NYPD came up and forced them to move since they are blocking the way.

Hmmm.... interesting point. Considering that they're doing that to the recongregated Occupy people this morning: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/17/4827054/handful-of-occupy-wall-street.html

post #29 of 78
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Hmmm.... interesting point. Considering that they're doing that to the recongregated Occupy people this morning:

 

One year… how's that going for them, by the way? lol.gif

 

There has literally been at least one person there every day for an entire year? Now if only they could apply that dedication to something with meaning.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

WTH? New York City doesn't have pre-order or a Radio Shack to run up in on Friday - no one will think to go to there. Silly people, go to class or work or get out and look for work - at the least help your mom clean the house.

People aren't stupid, they know that Radio Shack will have some.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 78
At the iPhone 4S launch my friend and I walked right into a Verizon store and bought on...in and out in 20 minutes. The Apple Store was at least a 1-2hr wait. I don't see the use with waiting in line. I guess its just for the fanboy'ism of it?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I've always found ridiculous queuing for days for a product.
It would be funny if the NYPD came up and forced them to move since they are blocking the way.


I don't see how they're blocking anything. 

post #33 of 78
Originally Posted by ShelliZ View Post
I don't see how they're blocking anything. 

 

Just ignore the trolls unless you can outright embarrass them or jab at them with some humor. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #34 of 78

Rain in the forecast tonight and tomorrow. Hope they have parkas.

post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Just ignore the trolls unless you can outright embarrass them or jab at them with some humor. 

 

He's a troll because he thinks it stupid to queue up 4 days early for a phone? Okie dokie...

post #36 of 78
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
He's a troll because he thinks it stupid to queue up 4 days early for a phone? Okie dokie...

 

Don't play dumb. He's a troll for nearly all of his posting history, in addition to thinking both that these people are blocking anything and that they need to be "removed" by police, of all things.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #37 of 78
If it makes them happy, good for them I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I certainly wouldn't want to leave my belongings unattended to take care of basic needs. I'm not sure what the agenda is here, I've never waited in line for a phone, the folks in a white or brown panel vans deliver things to me. Also, I see a forecast that calls for overnight lows of 55 (F), storms and showers this week.

I suspect they are either waiting in teams, or have family or friends supporting them.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #38 of 78
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post
I suspect they are either waiting in teams, or have family or friends supporting them.

 

I imagine the former. The latter is waiting at their homes for when they get back with their new device.

 

"[name], we need to talk. It's about the lines…"

"Yeah, yeah, iMessage me about it; this thing is so flipping cool!"

 

Hey, I can make the jokes. I've waited in line. Just on launch day, sure, but still.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

There's no reason to wait in line for Samsung products. The next big thing is only a few days away!

You could have left it simply at "There's no reason to wait in line for Samsung products."

 

:)

post #40 of 78

There was an Apple store in the US where the owner would bring line-waiters really good coffee, burgers, the lot, take your order for how many phones you wanted to make sure you weren't waiting in line for nothing, I kid you not this store was in Towson MD. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store