or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store

Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store - Page 2

post #41 of 78

Is that guy who tries to be the #1 guy in all these lines in the Apple NYC store line?

post #42 of 78

I just had time to compile an application and here I am again called a troll by the biggest troll ever.

I lol

post #43 of 78

Are they in line for the iPhone 5 or the iPad Mini, though?

I slept through the initial pre-order (delivery on launch day) availability.  I don't know if I'll wait in line on Friday or not.  I had an issue the last time I purchased in store, and the guy activated on the spot.  My notes never synced from my old iP3GS to the iP4.  I swore that I would only accept delivery and activate through iTunes in the future.  I may give it a shot this time.  I haven't had any issues with iCloud syncing stuff between iOS devices. 

post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelliZ View Post

I don't see how they're blocking anything. 

It's not that they are blocking, but occupying a public space for a long time with their chairs, etc... as if that space belonged to them. They aren't bothering anyone, but imagine if everybody began doing this all the time for different products.
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Are they in line for the iPhone 5 or the iPad Mini, though?

I slept through the initial pre-order (delivery on launch day) availability.  I don't know if I'll wait in line on Friday or not.  I had an issue the last time I purchased in store, and the guy activated on the spot.  My notes never synced from my old iP3GS to the iP4.  I swore that I would only accept delivery and activate through iTunes in the future.  I may give it a shot this time.  I haven't had any issues with iCloud syncing stuff between iOS devices. 

If you wanna get a 5 at a store AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc....just don't have them do any type of data transfer.  Sync your 4 with iTunes before you go to get the 5.  Have them activate your new 5 without any data transfer, take the new 5 home and sync it up.  This is what I do because I too, have lost notes, contacts, calendar events when the 'store' has done data transfer......just tell them you'll do it at home on iTunes, yourself......

post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Is that guy who tries to be the #1 guy in all these lines in the Apple NYC store line?

I read somewhere, that guy was NOT in this line.....there must have been a more important line somewhere else.......

post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

They aren't bothering anyone, but imagine if everybody began doing this all the time for different products.

Well, that's the whole point. Everybody doesn't do this all of the time for different products, especially not for shitty and crappy Android and Samsung phones.

I wouldn't wait in line for 1 single second for an Android phone and neither would the vast majority of sane people on this planet.

If there was ever a big line for any Android phone, everybody would know that it was a stunt and the people standing in line were paid actors, as very few people would be that stupid as to waste their time on complete garbage.

People waiting in line for Apple products is completely understandable, as there is an insane demand, and people would rather have it now, instead of weeks or months from now. If somebody is paying good money for a product, they might as well get as much use out of it as they can.

post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple II View Post

Well, that's the whole point. Everybody doesn't do this all of the time for different products, especially not for shitty and crappy Android and Samsung phones.

I wouldn't wait in line for 1 single second for an Android phone and neither would the vast majority of sane people on this planet.

If there was ever a big line for any Android phone, everybody would know that it was a stunt and the people standing in line were paid actors, as very few people would be that stupid as to waste their time on complete garbage.

People waiting in line for Apple products is completely understandable, as there is an insane demand, and people would rather have it now, instead of weeks or months from now. If somebody is paying good money for a product, they might as well get as much use out of it as they can.

I understand, still I find them depressing to watch, and quite annoying frankly. It already happened in the past that police came and moved everybody out of their tents. They aren't even Apple fans, just there for stunt.
post #49 of 78
Quote:

I understand, still I find them depressing to watch, and quite annoying frankly. It already happened in the past that police came and moved everybody out of their tents. They aren't even Apple fans, just there for stunt.

Yeah, I know. The people who are there from the very beginning camping out for days are just doing it as a publicity stunt for some lame cause or site that they're trying to promote. At least they're better than the occupy wall street people, who are complete scum.

post #50 of 78

Maybe my lack of patience is a negative character trait, but I don't think I could stand waiting in line even for an hour.    

After the iPhone 4 (or maybe it was the 4s) was out a while, but still in short supply, I happened to be near an Apple mall store and stopped in and they said they could sell a phone to me instantly.   But the AT&T website was clogged up, so they couldn't update my account.   They told me I could wait on another line until AT&T got their act together, but I declined and never wound up buying the phone.   But my 3G is getting a bit "long in the tooth", so I will be upgrading this time, but I will not wait on any lines longer than ten minutes to do so.

IMO, someone hanging outside a store for four days to acquire something which they could obtain a few weeks or a month later without any problem whatsoever (or they could have preordered) is insanity.   I don't think it reflects well on Apple - I think it sends the message that Apple fanboys are nuts.    I might stand on a line for four days to save someone's life, but I'd probably still be pissed about it.    And really, even if it is all about promoting a web site, how much promotion will those sites really get?  The news media will only give them a six second response, if any.

post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

He's a troll because he thinks it stupid to queue up 4 days early for a phone? Okie dokie...

TS is hyper-protective.

We like it like that around here.... ;-)

post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Maybe my lack of patience is a negative character trait.....

Actually, if lack of patience were genuinely a character trait, I am thinking that you might be waiting in line...... lol.gif

post #53 of 78

Well as long as it gets them out of their parent's basement, nothing wrong with a little fresh air I suppose.

post #54 of 78

Another indicator of the decline of western civilization: people who can and will sit in line for days for a phone that will have ample availability in a matter of weeks.  I love my 4s but would never have waited in a line of more than 10 minutes for it.

post #55 of 78
I just had time to compile an application and here I am again called a troll by the biggest troll ever.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/17/12 at 11:55am

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #56 of 78

I could never do that, that's why I prefer to stay up until midnight and preorder and just wait for it to come to my work. I'm not a patient line waiter though.

post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePuss View Post

Rain in the forecast tonight and tomorrow. Hope they have parkas.

Parkas? It's rain not snow.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm thinking their moms are just happy they are out of the house for a change. :D

I'm surprised passers by don't throw spare change into a can. These guys should put a sign up that reads: "I'm living on streets of New York for iPhone 5, can you spare a dime?"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If that were the case, I'd want to look better than a hobo..

Correction: HOBOS WITH MACBOOKS. Have open wi-fi, will live anywhere.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

And how many are waiting outside the stores for Samsung launches? That is the difference.

Yet we have not seen a action by samsung trying to discredit Apple fans outside waiting to get their new phone.  Can you imagine Apple fans and samsung protesters clashing.  MY GOD MAN!

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Yet we have not seen a action by samsung trying to discredit Apple fans outside waiting to get their new phone.  Can you imagine Apple fans and samsung protesters clashing.  MY GOD MAN!

Because people have lives and better things to do.
post #62 of 78
Quote:

PS: I hear iFixit will be sending someone to New Zealand again this year to buy early and then do the teardown before it's on sale or delivered to the rest of the world. Let's hoe this year the guy remembers to tell the NZ press who he works for. (edit: Make that Australia. NZ doesn't get it until the 28th.)

I'm in NZ, I remember when Apple announced that we'd be getting the 3G first, epic moment! But since then Vodafone and Apple have fallen out, so we never get them first. The 3GS, 4 and 4S have been in the 2nd group of countries.

Replace user and press any key to continue!
Replace user and press any key to continue!
post #63 of 78
Is there any mention of how many iPhone 5's will be in the Apple Stores? I remember when the newest iPad came out, I ordered one online but the wait was 2-3 weeks. I canceled the order and headed to Memphis and they had plenty in stock. I'm hoping this is a similar story. Any info? Suggestions?

The nearest Apple Store is 1.5 hours away in Memphis, but plan to be there on Saturday the 22nd anyways. Definitely stopping by to check!
post #64 of 78
Ya, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm a super hardcore Apple fan who will gladly drop money blindly on anything they put out just because it says apple on the back... But this is kind of retarded lol.

I genuinely understand that feeling of "I just HAVE to have it the first day," but between sleeping on the streets for 4 night and staying up a few hours late to be one of the first people to pre-order... I'm sure glad I had a slightly tired day at work on Friday :P
post #65 of 78
Quote:

I'm thinking their moms are just happy they are out of the house for a change. :D

LMAO awesome.
post #66 of 78
You know this is why Samsung makes that ad mocking you, right?
post #67 of 78
Originally Posted by RitaSoetanto View Post

Yeah, heaven forbid people enjoy the products a company put out. Guess Samsung doesn't want that from its customers!

post #68 of 78
Quote:

I can't imaging these people are there for 5 days. How do they eat? How do they use the bathroom? How to the recharge their devices? It just seems boring.

They're all veterans of the OWS movement, so they'll shit on the nearest vehicle.
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDigital View Post

2 million handsets at an average $700/unit - $1.4 billion revenue. In 2 days! That will equal to about $700 million in profit.
Lets take the first weekend of sales at the same rate (2x iPhone4S) - 8 million handsets. $5.6 billion revenue, $2.8 billion in profit.
That's just a prediction, but Apple might be able to EARN (profit) $3.5 billion dollars during the iPhone 5 launch. WOW.

Sorry, but $1.4 B in revenue does not generate $700 M in profit. While it's possible that the gross margin is 50%, that is not profit.

Take a basic economics course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaSoetanto View Post

Well, yes. It would be bad PR for Samsung to say "we're jealous that people really WANT Apple products and we have to make slavish copies of Apple products in order to get any sales."
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #70 of 78
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
isheep.jpg

Had to go back through your posting history to see if you were serious.

You seem to be…

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You seem to be…

You gotta admit it is kinda funny.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You seem to be…

Putting Apple users down as sheep makes them feel better about themselves. Don't take the one thing that makes them happy in life away from them. lol.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People are always lining up for new Samsung products; each time this happens, Samsung can make a new commercial.

Cheers

post #74 of 78

I have only one thing to say to all those silly, nerdy, Apple fanboys who would sit outside an Apple store for days to buy an obviously overpriced, boring, marginal upgrade to a so-called smart phone with too small a screen and no physical keyboard...

HERE'S TO THE CRAZY ONES! (-;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjgtLSHhTPg  ;-D

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I have only one thing to say to all those silly, nerdy, Apple fanboys who would sit outside an Apple store for days to buy an obviously overpriced, boring, marginal upgrade to a so-called smart phone with too small a screen and no physical keyboard...

Just curious - what phone do you own?

post #76 of 78
Quote:

HERE'S TO THE CRAZY ONES! (-;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjgtLSHhTPg  ;-D

Just to be clear, this was my attempt at sarcasm. Not well done. Sorry. Last line was meant to be an homage. Perhaps it would have been better if I had written, "I have only one thing to say to all those silly, nerdy, CRAZY Apple fanboys…"

Proud iPhone owner.

post #77 of 78
Quote:

Just to be clear, this was my attempt at sarcasm. Not well done. Sorry. Last line was meant to be an homage. Perhaps it would have been better if I had written, "I have only one thing to say to all those silly, nerdy, CRAZY Apple fanboys…"

Proud iPhone owner.

Sarcasm/Irony/Facetiousness/Sardonicism relies on tone and inflection if it doesn't have a substantial build up, which is why it's oft lost on internet forums. Even with a sarcasm tag it still gets overlooked.

Here's to the lazy ones, the slackers, the indolent, the negligent, the rotund pegs on the square beds. the ones who've never missed going outside -- they're not fond of work… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is make them productive because they don't change things... they don't push the human race forward, and while some may see them as them as apathetic, we see relaxed, because the ones who are calm enough to not care about the world, are the ones who don't make it worse.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #78 of 78
Quote:

Proud iPhone owner.

Just so that you know... I got it!

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store