or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Occupy Wall Street: First anniversary of a "Movement That Was Set Up To Fail".

Occupy Wall Street: First anniversary of a "Movement That Was Set Up To Fail".

post #1 of 15

What does Occupy Wall Street and the 9/11 Commission have in common? Both were deliberately set up to fail. As regards the 9/11 Commission, this was even admitted by the two co-chairs Kean and Hamilton, and a majority of the Commission's senior staff have voiced far harsher criticisms/trashings of their own hijacked "inquiry".

"Occupy" was set up to fail, in that it was infiltrated right from the start, and the [sarcasm]liberal corporate media[/sarcasm]  then finished the job. They killed it with a relentless association with "dirty campers", "drug crazed hippies" and "lazy bums who should be looking for a job", and al the while failing to discuss the issues in a rational, mature format.

Of course people are going to get unkempt messy when camping in muddy fields and parks in the cold and rainy fall. How can you put fine political points across, with a modicum of respect from a largely undiscerning public, while soaking wet, splattered in shit, wearing muddy clothes and a sporting a 3 day growth of beard? Even if Occupy's arguments are coherent, topical and relevant, who is going to give them a microgram of credibility when its proponents look as if they've just spent a week at Woodstock in the rain while smoking pot and doing acid? Meanwhile, the competition gets the studio lights, the makeovers, dressed in $10,000 Armani suits and or designer fashions, *and* owns the media channels that the gullible public are watching.. with the American Flag flying at every opportunity.  Furthermore, what is going to happen at a campsite in a public city park - open to all and anyone? The homeless, the down 'n outs and the city's petty criminals will show up in droves... and predictably they did. The media reported on this, "liberally", with great detail. Occupy Wall Street was effectively framed and branded as losers. There is no way that Occupy's "movers and shakers" failed to foresee the inevitable, and the universally negative media framing:  they obviously knew ahead of time, and that's one reason it was set up the way it was.

As regards process, Occupy killed what was left of their doomed movement with its obsession with, and requirement of, 100% consensus during their general meetings. In the typical way of the left, they spent more time bickering and squabbling amongst themselves over process, rather than getting the job done.

To shoot yet more holes in the already sinking Occupy ship, there was more than just a little help from both city police departments and the FBI - the Occupy protests and demonstrations were severely infiltrated by agents provocateurs and many of those arrested for violence were employed and paid by police departments to do just that, especially in Oakland and New York. This is exactly what happened in Seattle,1999.

Occupy was a nonstarter from the get-go. It was led down a blind alley by their enemies, and then left to rot. Even if they had been aware that they were marching down a road to nowhere, the plan was a strategic blunder of the worst variety... and only served to strengthen the crimelords' and banksters' stranglehold hold over the American people by distracting the public's attention away from their own $trillion serial white collar crime spree, and towards the petty infractions of those who naturally gravitated towards Occupy's focus.... ie street bums and panhandlers in wet, muddy, urban parks.

You gotta hand it to the right wing. When it comes down to manipulating public opinion, they've got it down. I guess having near universal corporate media support and unlimited finances makes their job far easier, but even without, in the game of political chess, they are still many moves ahead.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #2 of 15

Let me get this straight, sammi:  Occupy failed because the "right wing" and its media allies succeeded in portraying it and infiltrating it?  Hmm.  I suppose it had nothing to do with the Occupy movement being unfocused, unrealistic and radical?  Occupy failed because it did have a clear, concise message communicated by reasonable or even just convincing people.  When such a message was heard, it was far too radical for the majority of the public.  And I'm sorry, I think it's a stretch to get people to believe that the ubiquitous "right wing" was behind the unkempt protestors raping each other and shitting on police cars, all while denouncing capitalism from their Macbook Pros and iPads.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #3 of 15

More information on the 1st Anniversary of Occupy Wall Street can be found here:

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/09/over-100-arrested-1st-birthday-occupy-wall-street

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Let me get this straight, sammi:  Occupy failed because the "right wing" and its media allies succeeded in portraying it and infiltrating it?  Hmm.  I suppose it had nothing to do with the Occupy movement being unfocused, unrealistic and radical?  Occupy failed because it did have a clear, concise message communicated by reasonable or even just convincing people.  When such a message was heard, it was far too radical for the majority of the public.  And I'm sorry, I think it's a stretch to get people to believe that the ubiquitous "right wing" was behind the unkempt protestors raping each other and shitting on police cars, all while denouncing capitalism from their Macbook Pros and iPads.  

Ask the average Joe in the street about Occupy, and the image of a bunch of ratty, unkempt folk illegally camped in a park is what got burned into peoples' "awareness". Yes, that also included incidents of theft, rape and "shitting on police cars" too.

But do you honestly believe that genuine Occupy participants would have gone so far out of their way as to hijack their own cause  -  being fully aware that the US corporate media takes every opportunity to trash and negatively frame any concept that doesn't map directly onto the status quo? Which bona fide lefty (or any orientation) political activist would crap on a police car - for the media cameras? Similarly.. which bona fide lefty political activist, wearing a face-mask for anonymity, would lob a rock through a plate-glass window of a downtown business, in front of the media cameras, for primetime broadcast? Yeah, right.

One of the primary messages of Occupy Wall Street was to hold the financial sector responsible for the climate and widespread pattern of misconduct, incompetence and outright criminality - an ongoing spree of free-for all white-collar shenanigans which became public domain with the crimes related to Enron, WorldCom, MCI, Reliant Energy, Arthur Andersen, Time Warner, BCCI, BAE, HP, Duke Energy, Deutsche Bank, Chiquita, Bayer, CMS Energy, Global Crossing, Halliburton, Tyco..etc etc.  the tip of a very long list... followed by the "managed banking collapse" of 2008-2009 in which the perps were rescued by a $multi trillion government (taxpayer) sponsored corporate welfare package. Let's not also forget the $2.3 TRILLION which went "missing" from the Pentagon's coffers under the nose of hardline neocon (and Islamophobe) Dov Zakheim - announced by former Defense Sec. Rumsfeld on 9/10/2001... and got instantly forgotten about the next day when AA77 conveniently hit the offices of the US Navy Budget analysts who were trying to figure out where all that money had gone..... similarly, how the SEC's files and backups on many of the investigations of the above corporate crimes and scandals were all destroyed when WTC Building 7 suddenly "ceased to exist" on the afternoon of 9/11... two incredibly convenient "coinkidinkies".

9/11 alert - lets try to keep the discussion out of the 4th grade, and avoid the kneejerk "tinfoil hat" response... pwease?

To date, these crimes have barely been investigated, let alone prosecuted. This part of Occupy's message is nowhere near "radical" as you describe it.  What is so "radical" about personal responsibility for ones actions, paying for ones crimes, and  the exercise of justice and accountability? This sounds like planks in the traditional conservative canon..  but of in these cases, the wrongdoings have been largely the work of the entrenched establishment... so this is where the conservative mindset is having a bit of a time dealing with both duplicity and cognitive dissonance. Occupy Wall Street has seen law enforcement get medieval with people exercising (what little is left of) their First Amendment rights - while at the same time, watching the fat cats in organized crime get away with everything.

It's hardly a wonder that those with little or nothing to lose are getting pissy. A parallel is the ongoing war against the world's Muslim community - where the entire faith (alongside the Persians and Arabic ethnotypes) have *all* been portrayed in the US corporate media as being violent or terrorists, or worse - or simply "inferior". An amateur movie made in the US - has predictably riled those in that community who also have little or nothing to lose.

As I suggested, we have a closed feedback loop that benefits the powers that be: those who have the access can not only write history, but the current public perception too... especially amongst a public which by and large has no time to look beyond the headlines generated by the corporate media itself... which is owned and directed by the powers that be!

Are we fücked yet?

post #5 of 15

I'm glad that these Occupy morons didn't get to occupy much in my city yesterday. I fully support heavy handed police tactics against these dirty people and criminals. The only thing that they deserve to occupy is a filthy jail cell.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
I'm glad that these Occupy morons didn't get to occupy much in my city yesterday. I fully support heavy handed police tactics against these dirty people and criminals. The only thing that they deserve to occupy is a filthy jail cell.

Yesterday while walking through a local thrift store, I noticed a shirt in a very fetching shade of brown that would suit you well.

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Yesterday while walking through a local thrift store, I noticed a shirt in a very fetching shade of brown that would suit you well.

This may be surprising to you, but being anti-rape, anti-murderer, anti-illegal occupiers and anti-criminal trash doesn't make somebody a Nazi.

If you like those filthy people so much, then let them camp outside your house, in your yard. They're not wanted in my area.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This may be surprising to you, but being anti-rape, anti-murderer, anti-illegal occupiers and anti-criminal trash doesn't make somebody a Nazi.

If you like those filthy people so much, then let them camp outside your house, in your yard. They're not wanted in my area.

No. In your post, you infer that anyone who attends an Occupy gathering should be subject to police thuggery for exercising their right to freedom of speech and assembly, regardless of whether they are genuine protesters, or the "excess baggage" that shows up to such events by default ie the panhandlers, street criminals, drunks and druggies.... and regardless of whether they had broken any law on not. Heavy police crackdowns on ordinary people who are exercising their freedom to express themselves is a central element of the Nazi handbook. Yes, go look for that brown shirt - you have demonstrated that it would suit you perfectly.

Why do you hate America?

post #9 of 15

Why they want to voice their opinion like anybody else in life. Freedom of Speech remember it!

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why they want to voice their opinion like anybody else in life. Freedom of Speech remember it!

Free speech is one thing, illegally occupying is something else, and that they have no right to.

post #11 of 15
Quote:

Ask the average Joe in the street about Occupy, and the image of a bunch of ratty, unkempt folk illegally camped in a park is what got burned into peoples' "awareness". Yes, that also included incidents of theft, rape and "shitting on police cars" too.

It got burned into people's awareness because it all happened.  It had nothing to do with the right.  

Quote:
But do you honestly believe that genuine Occupy participants would have gone so far out of their way as to hijack their own cause  -  being fully aware that the US corporate media takes every opportunity to trash and negatively frame any concept that doesn't map directly onto the status quo? Which bona fide lefty (or any orientation) political activist would crap on a police car - for the media cameras? Similarly.. which bona fide lefty political activist, wearing a face-mask for anonymity, would lob a rock through a plate-glass window of a downtown business, in front of the media cameras, for primetime broadcast? Yeah, right.

Yes, I do.  I do because many of them were ratty, unkempt folks illegally camped in a park, as you put it.  These kinds of people aren't even aware that they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.   

Quote:
One of the primary messages of Occupy Wall Street was to hold the financial sector responsible for the climate and widespread pattern of misconduct, incompetence and outright criminality - an ongoing spree of free-for all white-collar shenanigans which became public domain with the crimes related to Enron, WorldCom, MCI, Reliant Energy, Arthur Andersen, Time Warner, BCCI, BAE, HP, Duke Energy, Deutsche Bank, Chiquita, Bayer, CMS Energy, Global Crossing, Halliburton, Tyco..etc etc.  the tip of a very long list... followed by the "managed banking collapse" of 2008-2009 in which the perps were rescued by a $multi trillion government (taxpayer) sponsored corporate welfare package. Let's not also forget the $2.3 TRILLION which went "missing" from the Pentagon's coffers under the nose of hardline neocon (and Islamophobe) Dov Zakheim - announced by former Defense Sec. Rumsfeld on 9/10/2001... and got instantly forgotten about the next day when AA77 conveniently hit the offices of the US Navy Budget analysts who were trying to figure out where all that money had gone..... similarly, how the SEC's files and backups on many of the investigations of the above corporate crimes and scandals were all destroyed when WTC Building 7 suddenly "ceased to exist" on the afternoon of 9/11... two incredibly convenient "coinkidinkies".

So they wanted...what, exactly?  How does one hold these entities "responsible?" Jail time?  Massive fines...distributed to the masses?  If that was Occupy's goal, they failed miserably at communicating their message.  And really, while it may have been the goal of some of the demonstrators, interview after interview confirms it was about much more than that.  Anti-capitalists, Communists, Anarchists and people who were just generally stupid were found everywhere.  I know you wish Occupy was what you wanted it to be.  But it was something else entirely.  

Quote:

9/11 alert - lets try to keep the discussion out of the 4th grade, and avoid the kneejerk "tinfoil hat" response... pwease?

To date, these crimes have barely been investigated, let alone prosecuted. This part of Occupy's message is nowhere near "radical" as you describe it.  What is so "radical" about personal responsibility for ones actions, paying for ones crimes, and  the exercise of justice and accountability? This sounds like planks in the traditional conservative canon..  but of in these cases, the wrongdoings have been largely the work of the entrenched establishment... so this is where the conservative mindset is having a bit of a time dealing with both duplicity and cognitive dissonance. Occupy Wall Street has seen law enforcement get medieval with people exercising (what little is left of) their First Amendment rights - while at the same time, watching the fat cats in organized crime get away with everything.

It's hardly a wonder that those with little or nothing to lose are getting pissy. A parallel is the ongoing war against the world's Muslim community - where the entire faith (alongside the Persians and Arabic ethnotypes) have *all* been portrayed in the US corporate media as being violent or terrorists, or worse - or simply "inferior". An amateur movie made in the US - has predictably riled those in that community who also have little or nothing to lose.

As I suggested, we have a closed feedback loop that benefits the powers that be: those who have the access can not only write history, but the current public perception too... especially amongst a public which by and large has no time to look beyond the headlines generated by the corporate media itself... which is owned and directed by the powers that be!

Are we fücked yet?

Yeah, sammi...the problem is that all Muslims are portrayed as terrorists.  It's that horrible corporate media at work again.  Got it. 

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It got burned into people's awareness because it all happened.  It had nothing to do with the right.  

Yes, I do.  I do because many of them were ratty, unkempt folks illegally camped in a park, as you put it.  These kinds of people aren't even aware that they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.   

So they wanted...what, exactly?  How does one hold these entities "responsible?" Jail time?  Massive fines...distributed to the masses?  If that was Occupy's goal, they failed miserably at communicating their message.  And really, while it may have been the goal of some of the demonstrators, interview after interview confirms it was about much more than that.  Anti-capitalists, Communists, Anarchists and people who were just generally stupid were found everywhere.  I know you wish Occupy was what you wanted it to be.  But it was something else entirely. 

Yeah, sammi...the problem is that all Muslims are portrayed as terrorists.  It's that horrible corporate media at work again.  Got it. 

SDW2001, are you familiar with this, this, and this (as examples)? From the great majority of the content in your posts, it's clear that your thinking is regulated by the mandate to conform to establishment opinion and ideals, regardless of its veracity and reality, or ethics/lack thereof. 

post #13 of 15
Quote:

SDW2001, are you familiar with this, this, and this (as examples)? From the great majority of the content in your posts, it's clear that your thinking is regulated by the mandate to conform to establishment opinion and ideals, regardless of its veracity and reality, or ethics/lack thereof. 

lol.gif  You are a real piece of work, sammi,  You throw out wild, borderline insane accusations about "The Right" infiltrating Occupy, teaming up with their corporate media overlords to portray the protests as something other than what they were.  Of course, you dismiss the same type of accusations (many of which had hard evidence behind them) concerning Democrats infiltrating Tea Party demonstrations.  

And I'm the one that's mindless.  Got it.  

post #14 of 15

Occupy Wall Street failed because most of the protestors were lazy hipsters who wanted government programs to reward their supposed 'creativity', or people who bought into the market, sold when it was low, didn't buy again when it was still low, and now see the smart investors making money...  And because most of them had no understanding of economics. 

Did I mention they were lazy hipsters? (with a penchant for Apple products, hemp products, and bad hygiene)

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Occupy Wall Street failed because most of the protestors were lazy hipsters who wanted government programs to reward their supposed 'creativity', or people who bought into the market, sold when it was low, didn't buy again when it was still low, and now see the smart investors making money...  And because most of them had no understanding of economics. 

Did I mention they were lazy hipsters? (with a penchant for Apple products, hemp products, and bad hygiene)

Oh, but wait Mike...according to sammi, that's just what the Galactic Media Empire wanted to show you.  Using their Fox News Star Destroyers and Storm Troopers in Business Suits, they "infiltrated" Occupy and made it seem like it was the aforementioned conglomeration of Hipsters, Hippies, Dirtbags, Rapists, Communists, Morons, Leftists, and Car Shitters.  Oh, the evil is positively exquisite.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Occupy Wall Street: First anniversary of a "Movement That Was Set Up To Fail".