or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Pegatron to build 50-60% of 'iPad mini' orders, breaks Foxconn's iPad monopoly

Rumor: Pegatron to build 50-60% of 'iPad mini' orders, breaks Foxconn's iPad monopoly - Page 3

post #81 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

No, I'm saying REALLY learn how to write. Pay attention. I never said teaching writing as an art form should be optional, did I?
Teaching writing as an art would move the subject from drudgery, where it used to be when it was the staple mode of communication, to an accomplishment that one wants to cultivate.
This may be too deep for some here to grasp, but the idea is that iPads for kids need not cripple their writing skills. In fact, apps can be conceived of that would teach writing better than the old pre-electronic methods. Writing IS an art form, always has been, but it's been treated as a joyless discipline. In the electronic age, it has to be taught in context if you want kids to be engaged.

So how would they learn how to write on a iPad? With their fingers? Or are you going to use the dirty S word stylus? I don't think Apple makes one, maybe because they didn't think it'd be a good device to write on. And enlighten me how would you make penmanship enjoyable?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #82 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

OT:  has Apple released the total number of iP5 preorders for the weekend?

They won't. It's all about the first weekend sales now.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So how would they learn how to write on a iPad? With their fingers? Or are you going to use the dirty S word stylus? I don't think Apple makes one, maybe because they didn't think it'd be a good device to write on. And enlighten me how would you make penmanship enjoyable?

I'd start by dropping the word penmanship from the concept field, that's for sure. We're talking about the joy of writing. Using fingers, styluses, brushes, paper, calligraphy pens, typewriters, clay and cuneiform wedges, paint, etc. Teach the history of all writing as you teach how to write. No reason to exclude Chinese or other very different systems either.

Any more thoughts would need an NDA from you, the more I think about it. Actually, no more thoughts, NDA or not. I rest my case.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Pegatron to build 50-60% of 'iPad mini' orders, breaks Foxconn's iPad monopoly