or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First iPhone 5 reportedly unboxed, packaging similar to iPhone 4S

First iPhone 5 reportedly unboxed, packaging similar to iPhone 4S

post #1 of 36
A set of images reportedly showing the first unboxing of Apple's iPhone 5 hit the web on Tuesday, revealing the new handset's eco-friendly packaging is very similar to that of previous generation devices like the iPhone 4S and 4S.

iPhone 5 Box
Source: BGR

The pictures, provided to BGR, detail the internal layout of the iPhone 5's compact box, complete with Apple's EarPods in a protective case, an AC adapter, the new Lightning to USB cable and the smartphone itself.

Opening the box reveals the iPhone 5, as in previous models, and the accessories are once again located beneath the handset, though the arrangement has been slightly tweaked. As seen in the pictures, the EarPods are situated in a custom-shaped cavity at the top of the box, the AC adapter is nestled in a molded middle section with prong supports and the Lightning cable takes its place in a simple compartment at the bottom of the package.

Internal Layout

In comparison, the internal layout used with the iPhone 4S merely separated the accessories with standard dividers, the exception being a cutout for the AC plug to ensure the part didn't shift during shipping.

Perhaps the most obvious change is the switch to a new black box that matches the "Black and Slate" iPhone 5 colorway. It is not yet known if the "White and Silver" version will ship in the usual white packaging.

The set of photos also included a single image comparing the size of the iPhone 5 and previous generation iPhone 4S.

Comparison

Apple is set to roll out the iPhone 5 this Friday after a record-breaking two million units were preordered in the handset's first 24 hours of availability.
post #2 of 36
you mean "similar to Samsung" 1smile.gif /s
post #3 of 36
Ooh, packaging articles!
post #4 of 36
Thanks for providing Scamscum the packaging design schematics. Expect this when their GS4 comes out. /s
post #5 of 36
Just waiting for the unlocked versions to go on sale...

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

you mean "similar to Samsung" 1smile.gif /s

It's getting complicated. Samsung copied Apple's packaging, so is this now a copy of their copy?
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Just waiting for the unlocked versions to go on sale...

I think the box top just lifts off. No locking mechanism.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's getting complicated. Samsung copied Apple's packaging, so is this now a copy of their copy?

Not only is Apple copying the packaging material, they're copying the idea of copying their competitors!
post #9 of 36
this is FAKE AS DAY CAN'T PPL TELL!!!jQuery18101117400813382119_1348002542108???
look at the mask of the iphone pic and the shadows and the reflection on the top of the phone.. man i got a bridge to SELL U and an old iPHONE 4
post #10 of 36

This is lame even in the context of lame articles the repeat things from other sites.  "Reportedly unboxed?"  "Packaging similar"????

Who'd a thunk it eh?  :rolleyes:

post #11 of 36

Cue the "iPhone 5" is boringly packaged... uninspired packaging... why bother to get an iPhone 5 when the packaging is so similar... articles.

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Cue the "iPhone 5" is boringly packaged... uninspired packaging... why bother to get an iPhone 5 when the packaging is so similar... articles.

You forgot, "Steve is rolling in his grave."
post #13 of 36
Fake. ;>)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's either an example of recursive humor, a conceptual Gordian Knot or a loving tribute to the Worm of Ourbouros... Have you seen the movie, "Synecdoche, New York"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

You forgot, "Steve is rolling in his grave."

Poor Steve probably had to install a rotisserie device in his coffin with all the rolling he's been purportedly doing

post #16 of 36
Apple really needs to reinvent the box. They are clearly not leaders anymore, since they are still using the same old rectangular cardboard boxes. THey have lost their edge.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Apple really needs to reinvent the box. They are clearly not leaders anymore, since they are still using the same old rectangular cardboard boxes. THey have lost their edge.

Do you suggest a rectangle with rounded corners?

post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A set of images reportedly showing the first unboxing of Apple's iPhone 5 hit the web on Tuesday, revealing the new handset's eco-friendly packaging is very similar to that of previous generation devices like the iPhone 4S and 4S.
post #19 of 36

S

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Sorry, I think you are totally reaching here. I know people here like to poke fun at the haters, but nobody would realistically say that. Nice try, but unnecessary. 

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I think the box top just lifts off. No locking mechanism.

Oh, I like that one very much!
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Not only is Apple copying the packaging material, they're copying the idea of copying their competitors!

I wonder just how redundant we can make this?
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is lame even in the context of lame articles the repeat things from other sites.  "Reportedly unboxed?"  "Packaging similar"????

Who'd a thunk it eh?  1rolleyes.gif

No, no, no! You're missing the point! This is important. It's the pre visualized conception of what the unpackaging will actually be like. Without that, how can we know what to expect?

I mean, get real!
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's either an example of recursive humor, a conceptual Gordian Knot or a loving tribute to the Worm of Ourbouros... Have you seen the movie, "Synecdoche, New York"?

Not only have I never seen it. I've never heard of it! Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Do you suggest a rectangle with rounded corners?

It should be a rounded rectangle with squared off corners.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

No, it appears they kept all the edges.

Opening an Apple package is always a fun experience, although it's about two seconds and a few snapshots, and then there is something much better waiting, the product!  Move along people, move along.

post #27 of 36
Why are both of those phones so dirty? I was thinking about going back to black but after seeing that picture I need to see both in person.
post #28 of 36
So what, who cares, it's just a packaging.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

I really appreciate the effort Apple puts into the packaging. I think the pictures and videos that we will be blasted with for the next week or two are just creepy and weird.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

Why are both of those phones so dirty? I was thinking about going back to black but after seeing that picture I need to see both in person.

I think (think) it is a combination of things.

1. The the plastic is still on the 5
  2. The "handler" was eating pizza while un-boxing
  3. No napkins exist in the place these pictures were taken
post #31 of 36
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Yeah, you've only seen Apple in the last 2-3 years, haven't you? Never experienced a classic unboxing, eh?

post #32 of 36

Oh my God, can you all shut up about Samsung already? This is Apple Insider... APPLE, not Samsung. Yes, we get it, ha ha, now move on because the joke is old and done.

You're worse than a bunch of Atheists, that don't believe in religion, but still manage to do nothing but flippin' talk about it nonstop.

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Who'd a thunk it eh?  1rolleyes.gif

I'm still gnashing my teeth at the use of the term "colorway". Pretentious even for AI.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #34 of 36
Darn it #1: AI not showing how thick the package is, only a photo from the top.

Darn it #2: if Apple wants to emphasize on the thinness of the TNI (The New iPhone) they could've packed the phone next to the peripherals, as opposed putting it on top of each other. That would make the box really flat.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Oh my God, can you all shut up about Samsung already? This is Apple Insider... APPLE, not Samsung. Yes, we get it, ha ha, now move on because the joke is old and done.
You're worse than a bunch of Atheists, that don't believe in religion, but still manage to do nothing but flippin' talk about it nonstop.

Funny analogy and spot on. Lol

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #36 of 36

Gawd no kidding, this ain't about another phone or OS, I agree, shut the hell up.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First iPhone 5 reportedly unboxed, packaging similar to iPhone 4S