or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Reported iMac inventory shortage may signal imminent refresh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reported iMac inventory shortage may signal imminent refresh

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
According to a report on Tuesday, some Apple authorized resellers are seeing little to no inventory of current iMac models in the supply chain, hinting that a refresh may be on the horizon.

An anonymous Apple Authorized Service Provider told TUAW that iMac channel supply is running peculiarly low, with inventory listed at zero for many models.

iMac Supply
Source: TUAW


"While putting in an order today we stumbled upon both our suppliers have no stock of 21 or 27 inch iMacs," the tipster said. "One picture has an estimated ETA while the other shows all current models at 0 stock. All 4 models look similar to the picture that displays the ETAs."

The source is referring to a pair of screenshots taken from their suppliers' inventory systems, which show almost every iMac model out of stock.

iMac Inventory


In late August, AppleInsider's pricing guide reflected a similar situation, though the supply constraints were limited to the 27-inch iteration of Apple's all-in-one machine. With Tuesday's report, both 27-inch and 21.5-inch models are seeing stockouts

Analyst Ming Chi-Kuo, who provides consistently accurate foresight of Apple's supply chain, said in July that he expects a new iMac model to see release as soon as September. Further backing up the claims of a product refresh are internal configuration files discovered in Mountain Lion pointing to as-yet-unreleased iMacs.

Most recently, a report claimed Apple's upstream suppliers were shipping next-generation iMacs and a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display ahead of a September or October launch date. It is unclear if Apple will present the two machines at a single event or roll them out separately, however the company is said to be unleashing eight new devices this fall with the first major debut being last week's iPhone 5 announcement.
post #2 of 35
NA
Edited by Red Oak - 9/18/12 at 5:52pm

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #3 of 35
Been waiting since march. Tomorrow would be great, what do you say Apple...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #4 of 35
Retina, PLS.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 35
There's been reported occasional iMac shortages for the past three months now, is it for real this time or another "cry wolf"?
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Retina, PLS.

 

That would be announcement worthy, and thus we have to wait until the announcement (at least 2 weeks).

post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Retina, PLS.

That would be announcement worthy, and thus we have to wait until the announcement (at least 2 weeks).

Retina 27" display more doable than 27" iMac...

FCP X is waiting!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #8 of 35

Order my New iPhone 5 - DONE !

 

Order my New iMac 27" Fully Maxed Out - Chomping at the bit !

post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

That would be announcement worthy, and thus we have to wait until the announcement (at least 2 weeks).

 

My guess is no retina displays and therefore no major press event. Probably just an announcement on the apple.com main page.

post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There's been reported occasional iMac shortages for the past three months now, is it for real this time or another "cry wolf"?

 

It's for real this time. We ordered four iMacs a month ago. We got 2 of them and have yet to get the other 2. They really are in very short supply.  

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Order my New iMac 27" Fully Maxed Out - Chomping at the bit !

 

I'll wager you won't be ordering it with maxed out ram. ;¬)

post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Retina 27" display more doable than 27" iMac...
FCP X is waiting!

 

Not really, a 27" iMac is more likely to feature the Retina Display at this stage, as there's nothing that has the GPU horsepower to plug a Retina Thunderbolt Display into. In addition, the Retina Thunderbolt Display will most probably need next year's Thunderbolt chipsets for Haswell which support DisplayPort 1.2.

 

But a 27" iMac's hardware is going to cost more than a Retina MacBook Pro, so I would think of it more as a replacement for the Mac Pro. (Which TC said is due next year)


Edited by retroneo - 9/18/12 at 7:58pm
post #13 of 35
i hope so. I've been waiting since my mac died in june.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Been waiting since march. Tomorrow would be great, what do you say Apple...

no way would they release new computers in the days up to a device launch. this will be more like in a couple of weeks when the rush is over. or at least next week when the crazy weekend is over

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

 

I'll wager you won't be ordering it with maxed out ram. ;¬)

 

if it's a retina display in slim form with the ram soldered to the board like the rMBP you might. 

 

and before anyone starts up with the whole "a retina iMac is impossible" check your math. it won't require double the current resolution. not even 150% (it's more like 115%) so yeah it in fact could be very possible

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #16 of 35
This happened before. Now, it happened again. Surprise! Nothing happened! In the meantime I picked up a retina MacBook Pro. DogCowabunga, dudes!! Now it's too late for the iMac. Next stop on the upgrade line? Mac pro, bro…
post #17 of 35
And yet the apple store says they are available for shipping now if stock, in 3 days if you change anything like memory or graphics card. So Apple seems to have them.
post #18 of 35
Apple will frequently let the channel dry out long before their own retail locations run low.

Are you new to following Apple Retail supply behavior? Do you realize that Apple makes more selling hardware in their own stores versus their channel partners?
post #19 of 35
Retina Macbook Pro 13 in please! 1biggrin.gif
post #20 of 35
if anyone's been paying attention there is an iMac refresh coming in the next couple of weeks but i think they will probably just be a redesign body and slimmer i.e. NO DVD/CD Drive and probably thunderbolt capable you can forget RETINA display (maybe they'll produce a less glossy reflective display) because i think it would be costly and they probably cannot produce enough as yet.... but i heard the 21" model would be announced with the iPad Mini and maybe a week or 2 after the 27" so no internal Disc Drive for slimmer design but you can bet there will be Thunderbolt, USB 3 and maybe WiFI 802.AC

I know several people who are waiting for this upgrade and are due for these new iMacs

BitzandBitez
post #21 of 35
Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 have been waiting for Apple since April so clearly they're up to something, but retina iMacs aren't going to happen until after all the notebooks have been converted.

I expect the first retina desktop will be the re-imagined Mac Pro paired with a 4K Cinema display. Considering the power you need to effectively drive a 4K display it's going to be a long time before such a GPU fits into the tight constraints of an iMac (low power draw, low heat output, low price). The 15" retina MBP has mediocre graphics performance because super efficient GPUs simply don't have enough raw horsepower.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

if anyone's been paying attention there is an iMac refresh coming in the next couple of weeks but i think they will probably just be a redesign body and slimmer i.e. NO DVD/CD Drive and probably thunderbolt capable you can forget RETINA display (maybe they'll produce a less glossy reflective display) because i think it would be costly and they probably cannot produce enough as yet.... but i heard the 21" model would be announced with the iPad Mini and maybe a week or 2 after the 27" so no internal Disc Drive for slimmer design but you can bet there will be Thunderbolt, USB 3 and maybe WiFI 802.AC
I know several people who are waiting for this upgrade and are due for these new iMacs
BitzandBitez

 

I'm one of those people. I am tempted by the rMPB but I don't need the mobility so I'm going to wait to see what the refreshed iMacs are like before making my final decision.

post #23 of 35

I'm so hoping for a redesign, so I'm waiting for an event announcement.

If there's no redesign I'll wait one more year before updating, I don't want to buy now and have a slimmer iMac come out next year :(
 

post #24 of 35

Aside form iMac stock issues, I've also noticed stock of the Thunderbolt Display getting rather low as well. Argos and PCWorld sold off every one they had at a discount (£100 off) with no restock date. Amazon UK doesn't even list it anymore (and by that I mean its not sold and shipped by Amazon themselves in the listings).

Maybe we'll see an updated version with USB 3?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #25 of 35
All Macs are hampered by the very high cost of SSD which is the only way to go for at least the boot drive these days. I hope Apple use their might to bring the cost down to them as they have with all other peripherals they adopted across the board in the past. 1TB or at the very least .5TB SDD should be standard in every Mac by 2013 IMHO and through bulk buying Apple and internal R&D should position Macs with SSD with no price differential from competitors still selling HDs.

The post PC era is here but as I have said many times, Macs are only just getting started. A Mac ain't no fracking PC!
Edited by digitalclips - 9/19/12 at 5:28am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIA View Post

I'm one of those people. I am tempted by the rMPB but I don't need the mobility so I'm going to wait to see what the refreshed iMacs are like before making my final decision.

I normally sell my main Mac every two years and upgrade. However, I am thinking of retaining my 15" mid 2010 MBP i7 (which I have added a boot 256 GIG SSD to as well as retaining a data 1TB HD) as a mobile for several more years but adding a new iMac as my main computer. My only doubt revolves around not knowing what Apple are doing with the MacPro which was my main machine since they came out up till a two years back when I moved to the MBP + LCD external display for work at a desk since the MacPro seemed to be lagging in development. I have sorely missed the true multitasking and crunching power of the MacPro to be honest. The good news is my MBP with the SSD is now way faster for most tasks but I still lust for raw power. So is it going to be worth waiting for a Pro or will a new iMac be sufficient ?... so many questions ... lol
Edited by digitalclips - 9/19/12 at 5:27am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

It's for real this time. We ordered four iMacs a month ago. We got 2 of them and have yet to get the other 2. They really are in very short supply.  

Are they stock configurations or BTO?
post #28 of 35

Matte option please. Thanks.

post #29 of 35

My very old 17" MBPro has been on it's last leg for over a year. Finances are a big issue as well as my aging eyes so I was prepared to bite the bullet and get a 27" iMac on credit, but I've been waiting since Spring for the supposedly imminent new iMac models. I was really hoping they would be announced with the iPhone event. Now I would consider just settling for the current iMac models, but they seem to be in very short supply.

 

I'm starting to seriously consider trying my hand at building a Hackintosh... 

post #30 of 35
I for one am not watching for an event announcement on any iMacs. What could they do that is event worthy that hasn't had an event of some kind. Likely nothing.

The computers and displays I think will be a silent release. IF the iPad mini is real, and I'm not certin it is, that could get an event. But not the computers.
Edited by charlituna - 9/19/12 at 7:31am

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Aside form iMac stock issues, I've also noticed stock of the Thunderbolt Display getting rather low as well.

Maybe we'll see an updated version with USB 3?

And HDMI? Do that and perhaps make a larger size model and you have the 'real' Apple TV. Increase the screen quality and refresh rate and you really have it. Then revamp the little black box a bit, say up the storage for better caching of streams, had the hardware to push h.265, better audio, even perhaps the Digital 3D from Pixar etc, who owning to their history with Steve would probably be happy to play test subjects, and Apple could be another step on their way to competing with cable.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 35
Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post
if anyone's been paying attention there is an iMac refresh coming in the next couple of weeks…

 

We don't know that.

 

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
Matte option please. Thanks.

 

Buy an external. 


Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
I for one am not watching for an event announcement on any iMacs. What could they do that is event worthy that hasn't had an event of some kind. Likely nothing.
 

If the iMac gets an event, it will be because it not only got a retina display, but also got a full-on redesign. "Thinner because no ODD while still looking the same" isn't really a redesign.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Matte option please. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy an external.

Or pull the cover glass off. If it's a reworked model, I wouldn't be surprised they doubled the antireflective quality, the Retina display cuts down the reflections significantly over previous models. 
Quote:
If the iMac gets an event, it will be because it not only got a retina display, but also got a full-on redesign. "Thinner because no ODD while still looking the same" isn't really a redesign.

I think the MBP Retina's design changes largely mimics that description though.
post #34 of 35

Short on stories this week? Lets spark things up with shortages of iMacs.

 

Next please!! 

post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


I normally sell my main Mac every two years and upgrade. However, I am thinking of retaining my 15" mid 2010 MBP i7 (which I have added a boot 256 GIG SSD to as well as retaining a data 1TB HD) as a mobile for several more years but adding a new iMac as my main computer. My only doubt revolves around not knowing what Apple are doing with the MacPro which was my main machine since they came out up till a two years back when I moved to the MBP + LCD external display for work at a desk since the MacPro seemed to be lagging in development. I have sorely missed the true multitasking and crunching power of the MacPro to be honest. The good news is my MBP with the SSD is now way faster for most tasks but I still lust for raw power. So is it going to be worth waiting for a Pro or will a new iMac be sufficient ?... so many questions ... lol

 

My only computer in my home right now is a rev A Air which I purchased as a refurb in 09 - it's mainly used for light web browsing. And I really do mean light browsing, as that thing gets really slow once you go on the Flash-heavy sites. I've been long overdue for an upgrade, but I've been making do with my laptop (PC) from work. I've just been issued a new laptop at work but they've now become very strict about what we can and cannot install, so now is the time to replace that Air. Plus I've been wanting to focus more on OS X (I really cannot stand Windows).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Reported iMac inventory shortage may signal imminent refresh