or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

post #1 of 144
iOS 6, the latest major update to Apple's mobile operating system, is now available as an over-the-air download on compatible devices, including the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, third-generation iPad, and iPad 2.

Users can update their device to iOS 6 by launching the Settings application, tapping "General," and then choosing "Software Update." From there, the download and installation process can begin directly on the device.

Alternatively, users can also download and install iOS 6 on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch by plugging it in to a Mac or Windows PC and launching iTunes.

iOS 6

"This update contains over 200 new features, including all new Apple-designed Maps, Siri features, Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams, Passbook, and more," Apple's official description reads.

iOS 6 was first unveiled by Apple in June at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. With it, Siri, can be used to launch applications, find sports scores, make dinner table reservations, and check movie times.

For an extensive look at new features and functionality, see AppleInsider's in-depth series Inside iOS 6, some highlights of which are included below:

How Apple's new vector-based Maps leave Google Maps looking jittery

Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

App Store, iTunes & iBook stores redesigned & improved in iOS 6

Nine auto makers partner with Apple for 'Eyes Free' Siri support

First look: iOS 6 Settings adds Do Not Disturb, quicker Bluetooth access

First look: iOS 6 brings Siri to iPad, adds Facebook integration
post #2 of 144

"Stale. No new features. Except those features that Android has had for decades."

Guess the Apple TV will have to wait.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #3 of 144

No yet downloadable in Canada (at 1PM)

post #4 of 144

it was available at 945 am for me, but i couldn't upgrade as I didn't have enough space on my phone, now trying to clear it up so I can upgrade... uggg

post #5 of 144
1 Hour Remaining? Geez, is this connected to DSL? Mine took 6 minutes to download.
post #6 of 144
I'm not seeing it here in Canada.
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
post #7 of 144

Android has Siri now? Cool! LOL

post #8 of 144

Not so fast! Not everybody can download it yet, including me.

Apple probably doesn't want hundreds of millions of people to be hitting their servers all at once.

post #9 of 144
I was teased! After I saw this I went to iTunes and clicked "Check for Update" and sure enough the dialog box opened saying there was an update available! When I clicked "Download and Install" nothing happened. I waited about 15 seconds and tried again and go the standard "5.1.1 is the current version" message.

Boo!

EDIT: After some more persistent clicking it's now downloading! (6 minutes to go, BTW...)
John
John
post #10 of 144
Can someone who installs this update confirm the build number? Same as GM released last week?
post #11 of 144
Not yet in Florida ...

My bad it is if I connect via iTunes. Woot!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #12 of 144

Weird. I plugged my iPhone into my office Mac which is not the machine it syncs with and it only gave me two choices: Set up as new phone or restore from back up. Neither of these choices are what I want so I guess I will download over the air. I thought I could get faster service bypassing the WiFi but I guess not.

Ok update: my phone still says 5.1.1 is up to date here in So Cal.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #13 of 144
Yeah, mine is still showing "iOS 5.1.1 Your software is up to date." for my iPhone 4s and new iPad, either through OTA or iTunes...boo! Guess I can wait a little while longer :-)

Update: 1:05 EDT - it showed up!
post #14 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Weird. I plugged my iPhone into my office Mac which is not the machine it syncs with and it only gave me two choices: Set up as new phone or restore from back up. Neither of these choices are what I want so I guess I will download over the air. I thought I could get faster service bypassing the WiFi but I guess not.

Ok update: my phone still says 5.1.1 is up to date here in So Cal.

OTA updates should never be bigger than the iTunes ones, from what I understand.  Itunes updates are full updates, while OTA ones are partial at worst, full if totally necessary (which it probably will be for iOS6 I guess).

post #15 of 144
available but no wifi at work, what is the file size? might have to hit up a wifi network at lunch.
post #16 of 144

Mine just showed up too - About 9 minutes remaining. 

post #17 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

available but no wifi at work, what is the file size? might have to hit up a wifi network at lunch.

iTunes is showing me the file is 887.6MB.

John
John
post #18 of 144
Any idea on whether Xcode 4.5 will be released today too?
post #19 of 144
Build number confirmation would be nice as asked above.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #20 of 144

Doing my 4th gen ipod touch now.  Not going to do 3GS as it is already slow with 5.1.1

Sitting at 70 minutes....  :(

post #21 of 144
Mine iPhone4 says 5.1.1 is up to date 1frown.gif - Atlanta GA
post #22 of 144
Android has Evi...sort of like Siri.
post #23 of 144
I am installing now. I had 4.6 GB free on my 32gb 4S. I am wondering how much free space I will have after I am upgraded.
post #24 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

Android has Siri now? Cool! LOL
Android has Google now which is in many ways better than siri and in some ways not as good. I love Google now so far. It is one of the most useful things my phone will do. It's transit info is amazing and the sports reports are time saving. Another plus is how it plugs into the Google ecosystem when I search movie theater times and locations on my computer, my phone will update Google now to have the directions already in it
post #25 of 144
Available in UK as well but reaaaaall sloooooow... Flits between "1 hour remaining"
post #26 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirk81 View Post

Can someone who installs this update confirm the build number? Same as GM released last week?

The official release of iOS 6 is the same build as GM - 10A403

post #27 of 144

I still have a few minutes left to go on the download, so let me spend that time productively, by bashing Android of course!

Here we have a major iOS update, and Apple users all over the globe that own the qualifying devices are able to download it and install it, even on devices that are years old! In no time, most Apple iOS users will be on the latest and greatest OS with very little effort.

Meanwhile in Android land, a fragmented, scary place, plagued by malware and second rate software, Fandroids are unable to update their devices. Android companies promise updates, but usually, these are broken promises and Android users are stuck, sitting around with their ancient devices running a crappy, old OS. Some Android devices that have been promised updates never get them!lol.gif Updates do not come from a central source, they come from shitty carriers, and the whole system is a complete mess!

When you buy an Apple iOS product, you know that your device will be good for at least a few years, getting all of the newest OS updates and your device will be current. With Android, you are basically abandoned by the time that they have taken your money as soon as you've paid for the device. 

My iOS update is almost done, and so is my Android bashing, for the moment! lol.gif

post #28 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Nothing here yet in NYC.
I guess it's that whole "Saving The Best For Last" thing, you know ....
*sniff*

I don't think it's all about location. I'm in NYC and I am almost done downloading.

Maybe Apple goes by device numbers or something, and not location.

post #29 of 144

mine went from 7 min remaining to 20 min and then back down to 6min ... its all over the place. 

post #30 of 144

Anyone know when the Passbook store will go live? That is really the only thing I am waiting for today. Been on the GM release for a while so I am ready to start using passbook!

- There’s no learning without trying lots of ideas and failing lots of times (Jonathan Ive)
- There’s no learning without trying lots of ideas and failing lots of times (Jonathan Ive)
post #31 of 144

uhoh...

started download here in new england at about 1:10 and said "estimated 14 mins".

its been stuck on "less than 1 minute" for about 15minutes now.

post #32 of 144
To use passbook. Download 10.8.2 update, just released. Add from a Mac.
post #33 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I still have a few minutes left to go on the download, so let me spend that time productively, by bashing Android of course!

Here we have a major iOS update, and Apple users all over the globe that own the qualifying devices are able to download it and install it, even on devices that are years old! In no time, most Apple iOS users will be on the latest and greatest OS with very little effort.

Meanwhile in Android land, a fragmented, scary place, plagued by malware and second rate software, Fandroids are unable to update their devices. Android companies promise updates, but usually, these are broken promises and Android users are stuck, sitting around with their ancient devices running a crappy, old OS. Some Android devices that have been promised updates never get them!lol.gif Updates do not come from a central source, they come from shitty carriers, and the whole system is a complete mess!

When you buy an Apple iOS product, you know that your device will be good for at least a few years, getting all of the newest OS updates and your device will be current. With Android, you are basically abandoned by the time that they have taken your money as soon as you've paid for the device. 

My iOS update is almost done, and so is my Android bashing, for the moment! lol.gif

This is the main reason why I went with Apple.  They may take a little bit to catchup so to speak, but when they do have a feature that others had on the market for 6 months and even a year in some cases .. they have perfected it and as the Late Great Steve Jobs would say ... "It Just Works"  This is why Apple takes it time and why Androidians get a rushed product that is glitchy and not very good. 

post #34 of 144
Ugh. Download got half way and then failed. At a coffee shop, and I suspect the internet here is overburdened.

Attempt number 2, here we go.
post #35 of 144

OK for all those doing an update now, this is REALLY IMPORTANT.

We don't need to hear every single update on how it's going.  Whether it's stuck downloading, how long it has taken, etc etc etc.  We all should know by now that these things vary from person to person, place to place.  If something strange happens, or doesn't happen quickly enough, put the device down for 30 minutes before you post.  Then, when and if you do still have a problem, post in the support forum, not in the news forum. 

That is all.

post #36 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumashow View Post

To use passbook. Download 10.8.2 update, just released. Add from a Mac.

I am already on 10.8.2…. I am talking about the app store on iOS 6 for passbook It has not gone live yet for me. My OS X Version makes no difference…

post #37 of 144

I just finished updating OTA in the East Bay (California). It was a smooth and straight forward process. iOS 6.0 Build 10A403.

post #38 of 144
I doubt I'm going to upgrade just yet. My 5 is on order and my iPhone 4 prob doesn't have the space anyway.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #39 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

OK for all those doing an update now, this is REALLY IMPORTANT.

My update just finished downloading, it ended up taking around 15 minutes. 

The iPad 3 has just auto-rebooted, and it's now on the screen where there is an Apple logo, and there is a progress bar underneath that. So far, it's been on that screen for around 2 minutes, and I estimate that there is still a couple of minutes to go, the progress bar is about half way done.

I will keep you updated on any further progress.

post #40 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

REALLY IMPORTANT.

Mine has finished downloading. Just wanted to let you know in case you were interested.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch