or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integration

Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integration - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Let's see, 365 Mb for Facebook integration. Nothing like increasing the possible risk of privacy issues and/or identity theft integrating Facebook into the OS. Seems as if Apple is starting to follow majorcrap in loading questionable features into the OS based on perceived needs. Not a good move. I'm putting out the safety cones and giving this update a wide berth, which is about as useful as styrofoam windchimes.

I wholly disagree. Facebook integration may not be something you want, but I have beeb clamouring for a Social-aware OS for years, and I'm delighted Apple is making the best OSes (iOS and OS X) fit the bill by baking in the most important social services (Twitter and Facebook). There are any number of advantages gained through this integration, there is nothing questionable about it.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Check out this comment!

Facebook integration? Oh, holiest of WHO CARES???

You know MacBooks are extremely popular among college students... Most college students have Facebook. I for one enjoy the Facebook integration, it makes a lot of communication easier already.

post #43 of 62
Most important is the increase in battery life!!!
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

Mountain Lion and iOS 6 releasing about the same time? Somewhere, a computer server weeps...

Not to mention all the apps being that are updated for all iDevices plus iPhoto for OS X ... with all our devices going at it even my FiOS is creaking! Makes me wish I'd finished setting up Mountain Lion Server so as to be able to download once and deploy to all devices locally!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Most important is the increase in battery life!!!

And makes Safari snappier!
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Facebook integration? Oh, holiest of WHO CARES???

Actually, lots and lots of people care about Facebook. Among my age bracket (early 20s), it is almost universally used. It's a smart decision by Apple to include it.

post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Was about to setup facebook integration until I read that all your facebook contacts will download into your mac contacts address book. Are you freaking kidding me? Glad I read that first before I did it. Further on it says you can disable this feature in system preferences but I couldn't find it. So for people who set it up and then look for the setting to disable it, facebook is populating your mac address book with all those non-friends of yours. Why can't they have the option to disable it before you set it up? So no facebook integration for me. While I was there, I deleted my twitter integration as well. Funny how I don't seem to miss it. It's easy enough to just go to the facebook website if I want it.

In System Preferences, go to the Mail, Contacts & Calendars prefpane. Select your Facebook account on the left side, then uncheck the "Contacts" checkbox in the right pane.

You're all making way too big of a deal out of this. If you do have this option enabled, it keeps all Facebook contacts separate from your existing contacts.

post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

There's a VERY simple answer to that.  After update present a dialog with 3 options:

Setup Facebook Integration now
Setup Facebook Integration later (options remain)
Do not integrate with Facebook (never see options)

Has Apple done pop-ups for 3rd party services? I would find that annoying, like Apple is pushing something on me.
post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

....Just imagine every criminal organization, evil extra governmental group, and of course, sleazy spam marketer getting to pour over all your relationships and know what you click on when you think nobody is looking. They probably know more about you if they cared to, than your mother.

I'm more worried about INTRAgovernmental intrusion into my system (and life).  And it is reasonably common knowledge that the gov't can (but only with court-ordered search warrant I hope) get back door access into anyone's PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I think your grasp of this is back to front - facebook and twitter don't know about everything you do on your mac, everything you do on you mac knows about your facebook and twitter so you can share stuff to them if you feel the need.... 

As for 3rd party apps and developers my understanding is that there is a common "Share" panel object that you send what you want to share to and then OSX / iOS handles the actual sharing so the 3rd party app never actually gets near your login details... saying that I've not got as far as looking at the share panel in XCode yet, so I may be wrong in this assumption.

If you don't want to use them then don't set up the credentials and apart from some redundant menu items (granted, they could hide the menu items if they aren't set up) on the share button nothing is different to before.

There are people who know a lot more about tech than me who post here, but over the years I'm learning how much more I know than many if not most. 

2/3's of the posters here have no idea of what this update actually does to their systems nor how it impacts (or doesn't impact) their security.  Who here really knows what if anything a facebook data miner can glean from my system once I've installed the latest ML update?  Anything?  Why? How?  Sheesh a meesh.  How about some facts??

As for the less (to almost un-) commented aspects of why Apple's catering at the SYSTEM level to two companies who happen to be hot at the moment, that's of real interest to me.  E.g., for starters, if this had been done in say, 2007, then MySpace might have been given system-wide hooks and hookups - and would they have now been removed??  And similarly if either fb or Twitter go the way of MySpace, i.e., linger, but get cold, what then??

Also, this is not a "democracy" - and not every company that wants to can get included in Apple's OS.   Like why not say, Reddit, or as someone mentioned Pinterest - or Tumblr or Vimeo or.......?  And who's paying whom for what here - this took some engineering and other cost - which is being borne wholly or mostly by whom?  Apple?  Facebook?  Suis bono - whose skids are really being the most greased, who benefits the most or is it equal??

Also left out of the story (and this thread so far) is the elephant NOT in the room.  Given the whole history of Apple, Google, Steve Jobs, Eric Schmidt, iOS, the iPhone and Android, part of this is not so much that facebook hooking is in the OS now as the fact that Google+ (and say contact integration with GMail) is most definitely NOT.   So part of this is also "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"-ing.  

Google searches have "gone social" with connections to G+, whereas Bing's (as MS and facebook are ALSO buddying up) are with fb.  Google's searches also now prioritize Google properties and services, so I have changed to binging just because.... ...and it gets the job done.

But there's more going on here than just Apple just wanting to do nice things for facebook and Twitter users - and possibly a play-off between Twitter and facebook as well that's to Apple's $$ advantage - I don't know that or can't prove much of the above, but I do know we've neither heard - nor are users talking about - the whole story. 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #50 of 62
Just upgraded Mac OSX to 10.8.2 today. Using Final Cut Pro X 10.0.5. Background Tasks window will not come on by clicking on it or using Command 9. Timeline changes to a darker and lighter shade of grey, but no Background Task box. This also means that you can't pause the background task once they are started.
Anyone else have this problem?
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Facebook is not for me...but my daughter uses it a lot as I imagine a lot of younger people do.

To me, Facebook killed iWeb a program I use for my real estate business! :(

Take a look at Sandvox; one of its features is conversion of iWeb sites.

post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Buehrens View Post

Just upgraded Mac OSX to 10.8.2 today. Using Final Cut Pro X 10.0.5. Background Tasks window will not come on by clicking on it or using Command 9. Timeline changes to a darker and lighter shade of grey, but no Background Task box. This also means that you can't pause the background task once they are started.
Anyone else have this problem?

Just checked here. Background tasks window toggles by clicking on the button, and command-9 works normally. (2010 MBA, 10.8.2, 10.0.5, etc.)

post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Take a look at Sandvox; one of its features is conversion of iWeb sites.

It is horrible to use compared to iWeb though.
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Still shows up all across the UI. There's no reason for that.

Quote:

You would think Apple with their easy UI would do something like your suggestion [options to set up or skip the Facebook integration]. Instead they took the Facebook all-in approach and you have to go back and disable the features you don't want after it screws up your address book. I want to use the facebook share sheet but I want facebook far away from my mac address book.

I agree that I do not want Apple OS pushing Facebook integration to me.

And as I rarely use Facebook there is NO WAY that I want share or sync my personal full Contacts with Facebook...

This might be a great opportunity for Bresink TinkerTool or similar apps to find a way to disable the Facebook elements...

One can hope.

The other change that I read was that Mail app is now going to default to opening unsent draft messages when opening

Quote:
Unsent drafts are now opened automatically when launching Mail

-- uhh, wtf -- or did I misconstrue the effects of that one.

Edited by Bruce Young - 9/19/12 at 5:51pm
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
post #55 of 62
QUESTION: If I sign into FB on my Mac or iDevice, will everyone in my friend's list see all of the information in my contact card, such as address, and alternate numbers, email addresses etc... jQuery18104314508920069784_1348151751781?

If so, is there a way to avoid that from happening?
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

QUESTION: If I sign into FB on my Mac or iDevice, will everyone in my friend's list see all of the information in my contact card, such as address, and alternate numbers, email addresses etc... jQuery18104314508920069784_1348151751781?
If so, is there a way to avoid that from happening?

No. Only the information you have publicly displayed on your Facebook profile. It doesn't change anything.

post #57 of 62

Ugh. I've had a terrible time with the 10.8.2 update. On my iMac it took FOREVER to install and eventually the bar got to 100% and it hung at a blank screen with the grey linen texture for 30-45 minutes until I hard booted it. After that it seemed to be fine...it says it is on 10.8.2 anyway.

On my MacBook the install went quickly enough but when it rebooted, it had a kernel panic and restarted. Cycle continued a few times until I hard booted it, and now it seems to be fine.

I hope 10.8.3 goes a bit more smoothly!

On top of that my time machine backups of both my computers stopped working earlier in the week and I had to finally erase the whole thing and re-backup everything.

post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

No. Only the information you have publicly displayed on your Facebook profile. It doesn't change anything.

Thanks.  

post #59 of 62
Quote:

You would think Apple with their easy UI would do something like your suggestion. Instead they took the Facebook all-in approach and you have to go back and disable the features you don't want after it screws up your address book. I want to use the facebook share sheet but I want facebook far away from my mac address book.

Agreed 110%. In 10.8.2, Apple has teamed with Facebook to grant the latter access to our Contacts, what used to be much more elegantly known as Address Book.

Facebook gets access to our Contacts list. Not just those on Facebook but all of them - business and personal. Every single one.

Hey, what possibly could go wrong here?

Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #60 of 62
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Facebook gets access to our Contacts list. Not just those on Facebook but all of them - business and personal. Every single one.

lol, privacy. Like anyone actually cares about that anymore, right? Right? 

*cut to 2017*

"Hey, a new [post-Twitter equivalent] from the LockheedMartin corporate account… 'Finally got our Mach 8 scramjet working in a plane shaped to dampen the booms. Commercial incorporation in three months; here're the blueprints: bit.ly/th1515f4k3'. Ah, well, good for them."

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Agreed 110%. In 10.8.2, Apple has teamed with Facebook to grant the latter access to our Contacts, what used to be much more elegantly known as Address Book.

seems multiple opinions on true nature of Facebook to Address Book (Contacts) connection.

I am hesitant to do the 10.8.2 update, even though historically, each Apple OS release needs to get to about .3 or .4 before it seems to have cleaned up most of the new version issues.

So what I would like to know, if anyone can answer, is there a way to Prevent/Prohibit/Turn OFF the Facebook integration connection?

Or is it forced on everyone who needs and gets the 10.8.2 update?

If so, then we, at least those interested in privacy, need to start flooding the Apple Feedback site with comments, suggestions, complaints -- as I am doing now.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

seems multiple opinions on true nature of Facebook to Address Book (Contacts) connection.

I am hesitant to do the 10.8.2 update, even though historically, each Apple OS release needs to get to about .3 or .4 before it seems to have cleaned up most of the new version issues.

So what I would like to know, if anyone can answer, is there a way to Prevent/Prohibit/Turn OFF the Facebook integration connection?

Or is it forced on everyone who needs and gets the 10.8.2 update?

If so, then we, at least those interested in privacy, need to start flooding the Apple Feedback site with comments, suggestions, complaints -- as I am doing now.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

It's an all or nothing thing. You either sign up to allow Facebook access to your contacts list, or you don't. Doesn't appear to be any limiting preference options. So, you don't need to turn it off, just don't turn it on.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integration