or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters - Page 3

post #81 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Samsung sold 9 million pre ordered S3's (20 million in 3 months), along with all its other Android and Window phones (something like 52 million last quarter. Apple barely sold that in the last 2 quarters, and that combines all sales of 3gs, 4 and 4s.) I bet Apple wishes they could sell as many phones.

Yeah... Apple is the plucky underdog.

By your metric... Samsung has already "won"

So what's with these ads then? Why kick someone when they're down?
post #82 of 143

Apple is expected to sell 56 million iPhone 5's before Christmas. That's more than Samsung's total sales figures with only one model.

post #83 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Durden View Post

Apple is expected to sell 56 million iPhone 5's before Christmas. That's more than Samsung's total sales figures with only one model.

Hey welcome to the forum with that post. Lots of new posters here lately seem to be on Samsung's payroll.
post #84 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Amyot View Post

I'll take that as a compliment!

FOG

Lol. It was a compliment.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #85 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Durden View Post

Apple is expected to sell 56 million iPhone 5's before Christmas. That's more than Samsung's total sales figures with only one model.

I think that figure was 56 million iPhones, all various iterations combined not just the 5.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 143
macnewsjunkie ... apparently they are using the Mitt Romney playbook
post #87 of 143

First the newspaper advert, and now this. This does not make me want to buy a Galaxy S3, it just makes me dislike Samsung more for trying to make out that people who buy iPhones are idiots or old people. Are they trying to pander to their lunatic trolls now? the people that claim Samsung are the only innovators based upon the fact the S3 has a bigger screen, and the galaxy note (which is an S3 with an even bigger screen) has a stylus.

 

I am waiting for the Galaxy S4. Because Samsung cannot simply increase the screensize to make their device look like a 'huge leap'. They would enter their Galaxy Notes territory.

 

The only idiots I see in that TV ad are those who would pay for a smartphone thats made out of thinner plastic than a milk carton (similar quality too).

post #88 of 143

I'm pro-Apple and pretty much anti-Samsung. I thought the ad was hilarious. Esp, when the older parents showed up for their spot in line - ouch! And almost everyone here bitterly commenting against Samsung just seem to be arrogant haters, and maybe a little too close to the Apple caricature line-waiters.

post #89 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

The ad is meant to be simple to understand, it actually does what is intended which is to lure away customers who like simplicity, apple's number one casual consumer base. The hardcore will never switch from watching an ad like this, it'll just irritate them.

Sorry I have to disagree. This is a Samsung preemptive measure to try to limit the number of defectors from their platform to Apple. If you were trying to lure customers away from Apple, insulting them as stupid line waiters is not an effective means of accomplishing that.

I think this is correct.  Samsung is saying to their customers that if they defect to Apple, people will mock them.  We have seen several posters on this forum go to great lengths to make clear that, even though they have owned dozens of Apple products, they are most assuredly NOT fanboys.  There absolutely exists a group of people who think so little of themselves that they can be influenced by the threat of being mocked by others for something as insignificant to their true identity as their choice of mobile phone.

post #90 of 143
This is a good ad. It'll reinforce the views of their buyers with a veneereal* disease and could easily sway those on the fence that don't understand the finer points of their technically truthful but not ethically honest advert.

Case in point, Samsung notes they've had LTE for "while". Sure, that's true but it's in absolutely huge phones using huge chips that eat a huge amount of battery when it's on. What makes the ad good is that you can't easily explain that to the average person and have them understand. I think many will only understand after the fact.

Not that it ultimately matters since most of what Apple does have never been easily put on a spec sheet and they're so far ahead of the pack because of these intangible aspects. The fact that many are intangible and therefore can't be put into a spreadsheet for accountants to crunch is likely why others are not following Apple's un-patentable excellence.

The one part of the ad that fails miserably is its attempt to paint Apple products as "uncool." It's not easy to maintain being cool YoY while still being the biggest and most popular name in an industry. There are very few examples of this sort of achievement and I can't think of any of them in technology.


* As in people that can only see the very surface of something without understanding any finer points. Id est, those that lack critical thinking skills.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #91 of 143
You know this is really getting old. I hope it starts backfiring on Samsung. If only HTC and Nokia would give them a bit of competition.
post #92 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

CNET showed the iphone 5 on CNBC this morning.   The more I see people handling it the more I love the phone.  From the reaction of someone who took it, the iphone 5 feels very light.

You can see the video here:
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000117023&play=1
I think there definitely is a market for smaller phones. Not everyone wants a freaking huge phone. I was expecting more pre-release reviews to complain about the smaller display but not many did (CNet listed it as a "con"). I think Android & Windows OEM's are making a mistake going so big. People want thinner and lighter. And with tech improvements you can get good battery life in smaller form factors.
post #93 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I disagree. Samsung isn't hypocritical. In fact, they're quite consistent - they believe that it's OK to steal ALL intellectual property.

 

Google for using "concerns over piracy" as a reason for forcing Acer to withdraw the launch of an Aliyun based handset.

 

Apparently Samsung allows the sharing of music via NFC and advertise it as a feature, with Google and the Open Handset Alliance's approval.

 

As usual Google shows it has no interest in protecting people's work, until it comes to their own stuff.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #94 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Apple, just for fun, could turn the tables and depict a scene where exactly one person, looking lonely, waits outside a phone vendor's shop for the next BIG Android phone, and while waiting he drops his cheapo plastic Samsung and it shatters.

 

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #95 of 143

No politics, please.


Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
{video}


Phones break when you drop them. Don't drop your phone. Crying out loud.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #96 of 143

Samsung Facebook campaign backfires! Samsung are idiots and Fandroids are losers.

 

post #97 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeeHerder View Post

I'm pro-Apple and pretty much anti-Samsung. I thought the ad was hilarious. Esp, when the older parents showed up for their spot in line - ouch! And almost everyone here bitterly commenting against Samsung just seem to be arrogant haters, and maybe a little too close to the Apple caricature line-waiters.

I'm pro Apple (typing this on a new iPad), pro Samsung (just got a new Galaxy S3 which I absolutely love), and pro any other competitor which offers me an excellent product that fulfills a consumer electronics niche. Fact is Apple needs Samsung and Samsung needs Apple. Competition creates excellence!
post #98 of 143
Originally Posted by Sabanator View Post
Fact is Apple needs Samsung and Samsung needs Apple. Competition creates excellence!

 

And when Samsung actually starts to compete, let us know. Right now, Apple "needs" Samsung insofar as the latter takes plans, copies them to the letter, and turns them into internal components for the former.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #99 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152726/samsungs-latest-tv-ad-targets-iphone-5-apple-line-waiters/80#post_2193583"]Samsung Facebook campaign backfires! Samsung are idiots and Fandroids are losers.


Now that's funny
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #100 of 143

It's kinda how I imagine Dwight Schrute would go about selling you a phone...
 

post #101 of 143
Say what you may but these commercials are working for Samsung.

http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screen-Shot-2012-07-16-at-7-16-9.13.12-AM.png
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #102 of 143
Quote:

The one part of the ad that fails miserably is its attempt to paint Apple products as "uncool." It's not easy to maintain being cool YoY while still being the biggest and most popular name in an industry. There are very few examples of this sort of achievement and I can't think of any of them in technology.
* As in people that can only see the very surface of something without understanding any finer points. Id est, those that lack critical thinking skills.

I see the ad as show that Apple products are ordinary and the people that would wait in line for a week are "uncool" or just plain stupid. You're not in line are you?

post #103 of 143
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post
I normally do not do the political thing, but I tire of the "Holier than Thou" attitude of most leftists.  Express your views at the polls, not here.

 

And we should all express our views in PO, not here. 😉

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #104 of 143
Even Gruber thinks they are effective:
Quote:
It’s corny, and they’re playing Pepsi to Apple’s Coke, but I think these are actually effective ads. The thing to keep in mind is that Samsung is not trying to convince would-be iPhone 5 buyers to change their minds. These ads are targeted at people who don’t like Apple; who already agree (with Samsung) that the iPhone 5 is a feat of marketing hype, not engineering and design savvy; and who think that iPhone line-waiters are low-IQ hipster sheep. Samsung isn’t playing for first place, they’re playing for second place — and that’s worked out well for them.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/19/samsung-iphone-5
post #105 of 143
Very sophomoric of you Samsung... by the way any CEO will give their left n*ts to get this kind of brand loyalty!! Jealousy so on unbecoming...
post #106 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And who gets bigger government handouts and pays less taxes than the rich?
Can all just get along.... Let's agree...... That we all love Technology!! See common ground.. You all are welcome!
post #107 of 143

My guess is, after reading most of the posts, that Samsung employs a room full of minimum wage teenagers, whose sole job is to troll the most popular mac sites and engage people in inane pissing contests over – wait for it – a phone.

Come on people – if you don’t respond to them, then they have no one to play with.

That’s my 2 cents.

Oh, and I can't remember the last time I needed to watch a video while sending an email. I mean, c'mon!

post #108 of 143
I question some of those GS3 figures. But If they are accurate then it just proves that Samsung is not the scrappy underdog, they're the school bully.
post #109 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's especially strange given an Asian cultural background. In general, Asian cultures respect fitting in with the crowd and not doing anything to draw attention to yourself. In that culture, the people who are buying the phone "that everyone else wants" would be respected, not maligned.

I really doubt that Samsung's Korean advertising department did this commercial. It is done by western agency, and for western market(s).

That it is not too original, I agree. I think it leans a bit on "Get a Mac" adds Apple was doing for ages. It is not completely the same, but sort of evolution of the idea. Apple was more subtle, trying to project respective stereotypical user profiles on machines themselves, though most people outside of Mac users circles really didn't see it like that. Samsung is playing with stereotypical users directly.
post #110 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Can you imagine Mercedes making a commercial that mocks BMW customers in order to persuade them to buy a Benz? Hyundai perhaps yes. Not even VW would stoop that low.

Actually I've seen recently "Just like a Golf" add which is pretty much there. It is a bit hilarious, I must admit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEvdM9f6f4
post #111 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I question some of those GS3 figures. But If they are accurate then it just proves that Samsung is not the scrappy underdog, they're the school bully.

It all depends on the purpose of the numbers. When Samsung is trying to convince people how well they're doing and how many people use their product, they hint at huge sales numbers. OTOH, when they're calculating the damages that they have to pay Apple for every shipped phone, suddenly the numbers are much smaller. I wonder why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Even Gruber thinks they are effective:
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/19/samsung-iphone-5

Yes, but note that he agrees that they're not going to convince any Apple users to switch and that they're targeting people who already hate Apple.

Sounds like a bad choice of audiences unless they're convinced that there's no way that they could ever compete (fairly) with Apple and have no hope of converting people unless they hate Apple to start.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #112 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... Apple is the plucky underdog.
By your metric... Samsung has already "won"
So what's with these ads then? Why kick someone when they're down?

So they stay down. Double-tap, in law enforcement slang.

I don't agree that Apple already lost, though. I'm just answering your question. Unit sales numbers are one thing, profits are the other. Mindset as well. App store. Number of other factors.
post #113 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Apple's ads said the PC was stupid. Samsung ads say Apple's customers are stupid. I think it is a significant distinction. Do you?

Apple was using allegory. Hardly a new concept. Well executed, though. But most PC users I know (and talked about this) found them equally amusing and insulting. What Apple wanted to achieve is not neccessarily what Apple achieved, outside of already formed circles of followers.

Samsung's approach is more direct, but also more technically accurate in some ways. They are comparing those specs which, at least in theory, are to their advantage, while avoiding to mention those that arent. Some of Apple adds were downright hilarious lies, albeit funny as hell.
post #114 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

So they stay down. Double-tap, in law enforcement slang.
I don't agree that Apple already lost, though. I'm just answering your question. Unit sales numbers are one thing, profits are the other. Mindset as well. App store. Number of other factors.

Oh I know.

The comment I was replying to was going on and on about Samsung's sales numbers... and then finished with "I bet Apple wishes they could sell as many phones"

I was being sarcastic with my response.

You and I both know there are many ways to measure success. I don't think Apple is "losing" at all.
post #115 of 143
These Asian clone makers have no imagination. And now HTC is ripping off the Nokia design in their just announced Windows phone. These companies are so pathetic. They think innovation is changing the shade of the color on the design they copied.
post #116 of 143
Samsung making fun of the customers of a company that they slavishly copied... as if the customers don't enjoy the real thing or appreciate Apple's high quality.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Samsung making fun of the customers of a company that they slavishly copied... as if the customers don't enjoy the real thing or appreciate Apple's high quality.

Who knew ripe Apples could turn to sour grapes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #118 of 143
Actually I think it's a good commercial. I still can't stand Sammy though.
post #119 of 143

Who the hell types an email or text while watching video? And why would they? Maybe I don't have cool or enough friends, but why would I want to share a playlist and is that truly such a critical thing? Guess I don't get it.

post #120 of 143
Quote by yojimbo007 - "Wonder why apple does not tash samsung in their adds.. Simple. They have class and they dont need to trash talk someone else to sell their product."

I take it you've never watched the "I'm a Mac" campaign
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters