or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung plans to add Apple's iPhone 5 to US patent infringement suit

Samsung plans to add Apple's iPhone 5 to US patent infringement suit

post #1 of 49
Samsung has indicated they are likely to add Apple's new iPhone 5 to the list of devices involved in a patent infringement suit between the two companies.

The iPhone 5 is now likely to be included in the trial, which is set to begin in U.S. court in 2014, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday. In a filing from Samsung in U.S. federal court in San Jose, Calif., the South Korean electronics maker said it "anticipates" it will accuse the iPhone 5 of infringing on the same patents it previously lodged against the iPhone 4S.

The filing notes that Samsung still needs to examine the iPhone 5 before it can make a determination. Apple's latest smartphone launches in 9 markets on Friday, with 22 more to follow next week.

Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device."

iPhone 5

The statement from Samsung comes less than a month after Apple added its rival's latest flagship device, the Galaxy S III, to its own complaint. The case is not to be confused with the Apple v. Samsung suit that was decided in favor of Apple by a jury in late August.

In the still-active case headed for a 2014 trial, Samsung has accused Apple of violating eight patents. Apple, meanwhile, has also accused Samsung of violating eight of its own patents.
post #2 of 49
Wow... what a shock!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 49
Were are all the Fandroids screaming that samsung is stifling innovation, and just resting on their stuff while suing everyone else. I mean that is the arguments they made when Apple won *most of the charges in the recent case. Everyone seems to think Apple sues everyone, but Apple is one of (if not) the most sued companies out there.
post #4 of 49
2014? They would be adding iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 by then? lol.
post #5 of 49

" Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device. "

Is analyzing the device Samsung-speak for appropriating features?

post #6 of 49
"Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device.""

So they can begin reverse engineering it for their next product release in 6 months
post #7 of 49
Samsung, hello? Are you there? I can see you read this... would you please back the fuçk off?!

ps: tallest skill, will u please edit this in proper English grammar? I'm suck with this lol.. thanks!

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

"Samsung said changes to the lawsuit adding the iPhone 5 into the mix will likely come "as soon as it has had a reasonable opportunity to analyze the device.""
So they can begin reverse engineering it for their next product release in 6 months

Why would they have to reverse engineer the iPhone 5 since it's not much different from it's predecessors? /s
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #9 of 49
Samsung...needs a beating.
post #10 of 49

Not surprised about this at all. 

Won't be surprised when they add the iphone 5. 

Nor when Apple moves to have the whole thing dismissed because the patents are SEP and they tried to license them and have proof of their attempts but Samsung refused, the patents were exhausted via deals with the chip makers or some other game. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #11 of 49
Did they have to file that yesterday? Did they mention some kind of deadline?
post #12 of 49

By 2014 we will have a newer iPhone.

Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #13 of 49
It's okay, Apple is now slowly removing Samsung from its supply chain (apparently they crossed whatever line Apple had...finally), so they are loosing their biggest outside customer (which will have a sizable impact on future earnings / growth) and have lost in court in a big way - but loosing face is not allowed so they'll go to the end declaring victory and acting as if they are in a position of strength.
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

It's okay, Apple is now slowly removing Samsung from its supply chain (apparently they crossed whatever line Apple had...finally), so they are loosing their biggest outside customer (which will have a sizable impact on future earnings / growth) and have lost in court in a big way - but loosing face is not allowed so they'll go to the end declaring victory and acting as if they are in a position of strength.

Well, that must be why Apple's share of Samsung's annual sales is going up significantly from $7B in 2011 to $12B in 2012.  Yeah, because Apple is slowly removing Samsung from its supply chain.

post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

By 2014 we will have a newer iPhone.

so?  Well, the point here isn't that Samsung wants to ban Apple products. Their goal is to either force Apple to cross-license or drop the on-going lawsuits altogether.  It's a defensive move.

post #16 of 49

Now Samsung's tactics : yes we tear down and analyze Apple products, but this is just to get evidence that they are infringing our patents ...

post #17 of 49

When does Apple sue these guys?

Oppo Unveils World's First 1080p Smartphone

post #18 of 49
Originally Posted by tcasey View Post
Samsung...needs a beating.

Since $3,000,000,000 doesn't seem to have gotten it through their skulls, how does $30,000,000,000 sound?

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post
Well, the point here isn't that Samsung wants to ban Apple products. Their goal is to either force Apple to cross-license or drop the on-going lawsuits altogether.  It's a defensive move.

Ah, I see. And Apple does. Because competition. And Innovate, Don't Litigate. Defense. Samsung is the underdog. Apple is the bad guy.

Shut up.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #19 of 49

I love this quote from Reuters .....(Samsung said in a separate statement on Thursday: "Apple continues to take aggressive legal measures that will limit market competition.) ..... As opposed to what Sammy, the type of illegal moves you make. What a joke of a company ... I have lost all respect for the management of that company.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/20/samsung-apple-idUSL4E8KK4DL20120920

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Oh my. it looks like Braun T3 Radio.  It's difficult to tell them apart. 

Edited by tooltalk - 9/20/12 at 9:43am
post #21 of 49

Samsung is just another sore losing Company! Their Phones Suck, Their TV's Suck, ect. Nothing Samsung has ever offered has been as successful even as Apple's worst device! Samsung needs to stick to something simple like offering Toaster Ovens!!

post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

That's an interesting tablet. I don't know if it makes any difference to have a 1080p display though, at 441ppi. At 12", it's roughly 300ppi. I think you'd need to hold this between 6"-8" to appreciate full detail. The idea is to be just beyond the edge of perceptibility at a normal use distance for most people, so this phone is very likely driving an extra million pixels that make no perceptible difference in image quality for most users.
post #23 of 49

"Samsung is just another sore losing Company! Their Phones Suck, Their TV's Suck, ect. Nothing Samsung has ever offered has been as successful even as Apple's worst device! Samsung needs to stick to something simple like offering Toaster Ovens!!"

Not to sure about the toaster ovens, as I had a Samsung Microwave once. After a year the thing started by itself at times or wouldn't shut off. No light, no fan, no turntable, but the magnetron ran full tilt.

post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's an interesting tablet. I don't know if it makes any difference to have a 1080p display though, at 441ppi. At 12", it's roughly 300ppi. I think you'd need to hold this between 6"-8" to appreciate full detail. The idea is to be just beyond the edge of perceptibility at a normal use distance for most people, so this phone is very likely driving an extra million pixels that make no perceptible difference in image quality for most users.

Excellent point! I'm sure they had a checklist instead of thinking what would be a great innovative way to implement new hardware tech and create a useful UE.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijhcidsub er846 View Post

Samsung is just another sore losing Company! Their Phones Suck, Their TV's Suck, ect. Nothing Samsung has ever offered has been as successful even as Apple's worst device! Samsung needs to stick to something simple like offering Toaster Ovens!!

If Samsung has never "ever offered ... a successful device", how come we are talking about company now?

That just proves that its products has been successful enough.

You've just answered your own question without you even knowing about it!

See how logic works?

Because their #1 market share in large TV has no resemblance of a "successful device".

Because unsuccessful products generate the most market share. Right.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #26 of 49
Samsung should really just cave at this point. They've lost a major legal battle, and have already lost in the court of public opinion. If they want to continue to sell their products and market against Apple, they should stop spending millions on legal fees/drawn-out battles and settle with Apple. They can't possibly believe they are likely to prevail in any of these matters. Meanwhile, Apple has the resources to fight and counterpunch this thing FOREVER. One has to wonder if Samsung's lawyers have sort of created their own reality distortion field...not over customers, but over Samsung's real decision makers.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #27 of 49
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Apple. Supreme hypocrites.

http://gizmodo.com/5945008/apple-totally-stole-the-design-of-the-ios-6-ipad-clock

Being 68 years after the introduction of the design, it does show that perpetual copyright should be eliminated.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Being 68 years after the introduction of the design, it does show that perpetual copyright should be eliminated.

And so I quote the article:

Quote:
The railway owns both the trademark and copyright for the design, which it licenses to fancy watchmakers. According to the report, the railway is demanding financial compensation for Apple's usage. Considering how many devices already use iOS 6 that could mean big trouble for Apple. Fair is fair! Apple just won a billion dollars from Samsung for exactly this kind of copying. Now it'll be Apple's turn to pay up.
post #30 of 49
And so I quote the article:

Why the heck would we listen to anything from Gizmodo? They're staunchly anti-Apple, and in the case of that quote, hopelessly deluded. Guess I see where some of our trolls get it.

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why the heck would we listen to anything from Gizmodo? They're staunchly anti-Apple, and in the case of that quote, hopelessly deluded. Guess I see where some of our trolls get it.

This is no excuse, Skil.

Just goes to show what a sham it all really is.

post #32 of 49
This is no excuse, Skil.

I'm sorry, not wanting to listen to people guilty of blackmail, theft of intellectual property, and trafficking of industry secrets is "not an excuse"? 

Yes, they are a sham.

post #33 of 49
Quote:

I'm sorry, not wanting to listen to people guilty of blackmail, theft of intellectual property, and trafficking of industry secrets is "not an excuse"? 

Yes, they are a sham.

This excuse is a sham.

You write-off anything you don't like to hear, including this article, which despite it's source is still valid and absolutely pertinent.

So much for "come up with your own designs, implementations and ideas", huh? This is just one more glaring, timely example indicating that Apple is no different.

post #34 of 49
Consider the possibility that Apple's move to triple the damages is a defensive move. Apple, knowing that HTC and Samsung have a dominant position with LTE technology, is attempting to leverage and bolster its position with the expected adverse LTE ruling in favor of Samsung. These cases are not being litigated in a vacuum, or as stand alone. As someone who on payday signs the front of the check (an not the back of them) this is what I see being played out.
post #35 of 49
Quote:

This excuse is a sham.

You write-off anything you don't like to hear, including this article, which despite it's source is still valid and absolutely pertinent.

So much for "come up with your own designs, implementations and ideas", huh? This is just one more glaring, timely example indicating that Apple is no different.

You don't this (allegation, mind you) of copying in a noncompeting product is maybe, just maybe slightly different than a someone blatantly copying every aspect of your product and releasing it as a competing product?

It's like a drunk driver yelling at a cop saying "HEY, you didn't stop fully at the stop sign, how dare you say I'm a bad driver???"

post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehshead View Post

Consider the possibility that Apple's move to triple the damages is a defensive move. Apple, knowing that HTC and Samsung have a dominant position with LTE technology, is attempting to leverage and bolster its position with the expected adverse LTE ruling in favor of Samsung. These cases are not being litigated in a vacuum, or as stand alone. As someone who on payday signs the front of the check (an not the back of them) this is what I see being played out.

How does this add a drop of relevancy to your post? 

post #37 of 49
Quote:

Gizmodo got the article from Mac rumors who got it from a very respectable Swiss newspaper that's been around since 1893.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

You don't this (allegation, mind you) of copying in a noncompeting product is maybe, just maybe slightly different than a someone blatantly copying every aspect of your product and releasing it as a competing product?

It's like a drunk driver yelling at a cop saying "HEY, you didn't stop fully at the stop sign, how dare you say I'm a bad driver???"

Non competing? What does Apple's clock do differently from the Swiss Federal Railway Clock? They both tell time, do they not?
post #39 of 49
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
How does this add a drop of relevancy to your post? 

Perhaps from an "I'm rich, I control you" standpoint?

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Gizmodo got the article from Mac rumors who got it from a very respectable Swiss newspaper that's been around since 1893.

Is this one of those jokes where you have to go and look up the answer and it's something absurd? I love jokes that make me work for it.

post #40 of 49
Quote:

This is no excuse, Skil.

Here have something to read about the company you seem to blindly support:-

http://chinalaborwatch.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/samsung8-271.pdf

Cool huh, child labourers make Samsung stuff cheaper.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung plans to add Apple's iPhone 5 to US patent infringement suit