or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world - Page 5

post #161 of 472
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
How do you get, from those images, that "the only legitimate complaints... are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery"?  Do you not even see, e.g., that entire towns are gone?

Which is why I mentioned that you can fix it yourself. 

Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Shall we hire a plane and sort out the aerial photography too? :P

Which is why I said that flyover and satellite imagery are valid complaints.

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post
Is the inferiority of the new Maps app really the deal-killer that it's being made out to be, or is it at the same level as, let's say, the shutdown spinner graphic going Retina?

It's not a deal breaker at all. Any infinitesimally meaningless thing onto which the trolls latch instantly becomes Apple's downfall. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #162 of 472
Calm down, everybody. It takes quite a while to draw a map of every street and town in the entire world. After 7 years, Google still has lots of mistakes in theirs - I found several this year in a LARGE CITY. I like the way this thing works, and it is a LOT less cluttered than the Google version. Give it time. And stop whining....
post #163 of 472
Remember, Apple is a public company so they answer to investors.
And with that I bet they needed some WOW feature for the latest update to the iPhone iOS.
Maps obviously isn't ready for prime time.
post #164 of 472
A map is not an atlas, it's whole point is to get you from one place to another. In that regard eliminating information that isn't important for that task improves usability. That is why zooming in is required for detailed information. It is no different than a conventional paper map where detailed blocks are used to deliver more information on specific areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

You are indeed spot on! I think the problem is that the Apple maps are similar to the Openstreetmaps in terms of rendering. You will not get detailed information unless you zoom in completely. This may introduce less clutter but at the same time you lose valuable information on maps which defeats the whole point of a map!
post #165 of 472
Will Google give us their own App so we can get back Street View?
Will Apple approve it?
Stay tuned.
post #166 of 472

What a bunch of apologists here!   "Growing pains," "data sets," "what can you expect until we give more feedback?" etc., etc.  And some are even using this half-baked helpmate as another reason to bash competitors like Samsung and Google!!

I'm telling you, I wish a few ex-girlfriends had cut me this much slack when I've let them down or led them on (with the best of imperfect intentions)!!

I too would've have felt kinder if they'd acknowledged the immaturity of the product up front.  I.e., said "OK, gang, we've got a road map (so to speak) towards a better navigation future - and you can see the potential in features A, B, C, etc., but there will be some growing pains that you'll be helping us with as we go, and things will shape up quickly."  And then we could head down the road the golden road to unlimited devotion together, tra-la-laa.   

They did this, more or less in the moves to OS X, and then from PPC to Intel.  And in calling Siri a beta program - whereas this, as a truly functional everyday, everywhere situation is much more beta, since there were other iOS ways to get around Siri's failings, but this requires going to 3rd parties to, uhh, get where you're going.

But instead, now that they're all top dog and whatnot (and acting appropriately full of themselves for one), they brazenly featured Maps as a major IMPROVEMENT (as it is) in iOS 6 - i.e., giving it the ol' "magical, amazing, revolutionary, resolutionary, etc." wizardry mantle - when it's clearly not even ready for prime time.  And simply ignored even addressing the rudimentary transit and on foot options - which are damn relevant to people living in America's (make that the world's) largest cities, ntm getting around this way being more ecologically sound where and whenever it makes sense.

So this is just blatant - and unnecessary disregard of both reality and users, since fessing up would've gained them more cred than this will cost in people ending up PO'ed by driving into dry lakes down routes that don't exist.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Indeed......"not our finest hour!" But it will get better, & quickly, I assure you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

The problems being reported are data problems not software problems.  The only way data problems get "perfected" is through real-life scrutiny, which is happening now post-launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Yeah Im not digging the new maps app. But Im willing to wait for them to update/fix the issues with it. Fly over is pretty cool. My biggest heartache is the new Dial Pad UI.
I hate that new look with the white back ground...then you dial a number and the interface goes back to the original look.... WTF is going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

@Daekwan;
I wholeheartedly agree. Apple is known for updating their apps a little more ánd better than Google has proven to be in the years that the iPhone existed… In the 5 years Google Maps came preinstalled on the iPhone, has it ever been updated with some serious effort?
Apple has indeed released their own Map.app, because their 5-year aggreement with Google has ended and neither party wants to renew it due to differences in opinion (amongst other things)… which is fine in my opinion.
But Apple júst released their first Map.app, so give it a little time. Over the years they updated/improved most of their apps tremendously, so I'm sure that with the upcoming updates they'll improve it. At the very least they'll improve it a heck of a lot more often than Google ever has as far as functionality goes, and the map-data will undoubtedly get better as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

I support Apple, at least Apple is trying to get away from Google.
Apple made it only map now is better than If Google asked Apple for money to use Google map.
Unlike SHAMESUNG , it is just too lazy to innovate.
Give Apple some time to get it improved.

Etc. Etc. Etc., ad infinitum, ad naseum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Do note, that we're just complaining about ONE app, and it's not a deal-breaker. 

There are competitors out there who can barely get an entire platform off the ground never mind, mess up just one app.

It just goes to show how Apple spoils their users in every other way. 

I'm pissed about the Map app, sure, but iOS is *so* good that I can live with it. 

Well bully for you.......  ....but like I said, I'm not so pissed about the app as I am about Apple's handling of its deceptive announcement and roll-out.

It simply makes everything else they say and do less credible and more suspect, and leads me to think of wandering to see what else in the world might be other than an represented within ye olde Reality Distortion Field....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #167 of 472

I think we should just give Apple a chance to improve things. It's not until we have a negative experience that we start throwing spears. I think with a company as big as Apple, they will make note of all the feedback that's surfacing and improve it with future versions; probably sooner than we expect. We are leap years ahead of where we used to be 10 years ago so I'm just happy to be able to experience all of the technology available today. What did we do before the Internet?? Buy a map, write letters, etc... I remember those days very clearly. For now, we have the option of using maps.google.com via Safari.

post #168 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Will Google give us their own App so we can get back Street View?
Will Apple approve it?
Stay tuned.

That is the only loss, Street View. Aside from not being quite as smooth and intuitive as the original iOS Maps, the mobile web version of Google Maps is almost identical to the original app except for Street View. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #169 of 472
Why isn't anyone stating the obvious here? This is all about the Apple vendetta with Google. They are trying to push Google off the iPhone as punishment and it's costing me, an Apple user. I don't appreciate it.
post #170 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

What a bunch of cry babies! This is Apple's first maps app, so why do you expect it to be on par with Google's whose been doing it for years? Trust that Apple will get things right over the the course of a few months to a year.

Ah, the Blackberry defense.

post #171 of 472
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

They did this, more or less in the moves to OS X, and then from PPC to Intel.

So… they never improved OS X from the 10.0 Public Beta. Got it. And what was "worsened" going from PowerPC to Intel?

…Apple's handling of its deceptive announcement and roll-out.

I fail to see what they deceived anyone on. If you believed something they never stated, that's your fault.

Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post
Why isn't anyone stating the obvious here? This is all about the Apple vendetta with Google. They are trying to push Google off the iPhone as punishment and it's costing me, an Apple user. I don't appreciate it.

Probably because the obvious is the opposite. Google did not renew their contract with APPLE.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Ah, the Blackberry defense.

Thing is, Apple actually comes through when they do this.

post #172 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

I, for one, am glad to take a step back, ...if that's the price to...sooner than later...shoot two degrees of freedom sideways and then full human-sweat ahead. Google's map isn't the end of the world, ...it simply maps out extensively Google's God-like, hands-on approach to the world. Your world, my world, ...our world within megalomania's grasp.
 iOS simply embarks on a 'coming-of-age', cleansing process... At the cost/benefit of pruning the life-sucking, Google branches off the Apple tree.

The thing is, very few users care about these kind of ideological considerations. This kind of thing is mostly reserved for people on internet forums. In the real world, people just want something that works. That's why Apple has been so successful in recent years, and that's why Maps is such a letdown.

post #173 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is why I mentioned that you can fix it yourself. 

Which is why I said that flyover and satellite imagery are valid complaints.

It's not a deal breaker at all. Any infinitesimally meaningless thing onto which the trolls latch instantly becomes Apple's downfall. 

Tallest Skil,

Apple's products are good enough to stand up to criticism by themselves, and you do not need to defend them.

Sadly in this case Apple have not done a good job and are receiving, justly, criticism for that. I think it's ok if you let people express thier disappointment about this without feeling the need to blindly defend Apple.

I have been an Apple fan since 2002 and will continue to be so. Expressing my opinion that Apple has not done a good job here does not make me a "troll" (even though I live in Norway, the home of trolls!) - instead it shows that I am able to exercise objectivity and open mindedness.

I think people are rightly disappointed and expect better of Apple, and in your trying to defend the company you may not realise it but you are coming across as over-defensive and even perhaps a little "attacking" against those who are complaining - even if your intentions are good.

People are just letting off their frustration, and maybe you can let them do that while still being positive?

I'm sure Apple will fix this, but it may take a while, and that is not good for us users or for Apple's reputation,

post #174 of 472
Yes, thats exactly what it is nd i am glad to see it. I love the app, have no issues with it yet because my needs are relatively simple.
post #175 of 472

This is where the Apple worshipers who would sacrifice their left hand to the great steve jobs get separated from people who just enjoy Apple products. 

Apple worshipers: "give it time" "free from google yes" "please its better than google maps" "fly over yes it replaces street view" "Who needs transit I drive"

"city missing, they will get to it"

People who enjoy apple products: "Apple i expected better" "this is a step back" "Apple you should have waited" "good desingn but Apple the missing points are not good at all" "I hope google releases a app" 

post #176 of 472

I just searched for Ing Bank and it gives me an art museum!

Searched more! Unicredit doesn't even exist!

QPR stadium doesn't exist!

post #177 of 472
Originally Posted by sedney View Post
Tallest Skil,

Apple's products are good enough to stand up to criticism by themselves, and you do not need to defend them.

Sadly in this case Apple have not done a good job and are receiving, justly, criticism for that. I think it's ok if you let people express thier disappointment about this without feeling the need to blindly defend Apple.

I'm not defending anything, I'm stating facts. You want to add a road, go add it yourself. You want to add new satellite imagery, you can't. So complain about that. 

post #178 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Likely, Apple maps usage will go up and Google maps usage will go down -– so that a year from now the results from the two apps will be closer together.

I think the point is that Map is a core function of the mobile phone. Everyone looks at Google maps as the best and I can promise you that Google/Moto/Samsung et al will make a point of it in their advertisement.

This has the potential of market loss if in the next month or so they do not solve the problem!

I agree with what to say.

However, the agreement between Apple and Google had come to an end.

I suspect that Apple wanted to continue using Google maps data but couldn't come to an agreement with Google.

I read somewhere that Google wanted to include ads along with the maps in addition to gathering tracking data from the users.

Google holds all the aces.

So, what was Apple to do?

I suspect that Google, Android, Samsung, etc. will milk this to the nth degree.

But, within a year, I think it will be a non-issue.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #179 of 472
Despite being a huge apple fanatic, I also have agree that the new maps is not quite there.

There are huge pros and cons. For pros; the maps themselves do look great, turn by turn navigation works fantastic (which is no surprise since the whole thing is actually Tom Tom and it is genuinely a huge advantage how searching for something now auto fills result options.

As for cons, I'm not concerned about location errors. Annoying yes, but every map out there had that. It will get fixed as people find them. Street view is a big downfall. It was really useful and I have already had instances where I needed it. Although on the bright side I have already seen the Tom Tom camera car driving around my city a bunch so it's clearly coming. My biggest personal complaint is that the map itself is just hard to read when just using it as a map. I fee like if the made the streets a bit bigger and more bubbly and made the labels a bit more bold it would be 100% better.
post #180 of 472
Quote:

I fail to see what they deceived anyone on. If you believed something they never stated, that's your fault.

Do you not recall the huge sensational presentation at WWDC about the superiority of the new Apple mapping technology?

post #181 of 472

Not good. At all. 

Quote:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57516114-93/amid-weak-reviews-of-apple-maps-google-offers-alternative/

Harsher notes were sounded by All Things D's Walt Mossberg, who called it the "biggest drawback" of the iPhone 5. Daring Fireball's John Gruber labeled the app "a downgrade," and Bloomberg's Rich Jaroslavsky found it was "too easily confused, especially in urban areas."
City-dwellers are particularly rankled that the app provides no native transit directions, instead redirecting users to third-party apps.
Well wouldn't you know it, but Google is reminding people today that it has an alternative. Brian McClendon, vice president of engineering for maps at Google, told the New York Times that an update to Google Maps for Android coming today would include a host of new features, including the ability to synchronize across devices.

If you search for a location on your desktop while signed into Google, that location will pop up as a recent search inside the Google Maps app on your phone, saving you from having to type out the address again on your phone. Previous searches will show up inside the app under the heading "My Places," and users can save various locations using "work," "home" and other labels.

Apple doesn't have a desktop maps application, of course, giving Google an edge over its rival. The Times notes that Google's app is also better at auto-completing partial queries and allowing people to make edits using Google Map Maker.

Still unanswered is whether Google will build a standalone Maps app for iOS. McClendon wouldn't say.
Google could decide against building an iOS app in order to give consumers a compelling reason to choose Android devices over the iPhone. Maps has long been a competitive advantage for Google, and making it Android-only could help keep it way.
But there's a disadvantage, too. Scott Rafer, CEO of mapping application company Lumatic, notes in a blog post that Google relies on its users to get data that is invaluable for improving the maps experience.
"More than half of Google's mobile map usage is going away in the next month or two," Rafer said. "Usage makes maps better a lot faster than software does."
That's a big reason we might see Google Maps back on iOS after all, and soon.

I don't like Google any more than the next person around here. But Apple has had Google Maps on iOS from the very start. They *need* to take that into account before they go ahead and f with it. 

post #182 of 472
Quote:

You've already answered that question. Fix it yourself at the source.

Right! The latter is a valid complaint, the former is not.

Not really. Add it yourself. Who better to do it than a native?

To everyone that is saying well just add it yourself...there that fixed it for you. That is not the point.....they replaced a great app with a substandard one that should still be in beta. At least google has people driving all over the world to map out things for their application. Apple is bigger than Google with a better track record for relasing great products.....you would think if they wanted to hey could have had the world mapped correctly BEFORE they relased a replacement app......

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #183 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But they've *already* had all that time in development. 

Why are we being asked to wait for something we already had?

Apple could have at least made their Map app as an App Store offering, with a *Beta* disclaimer somewhere, until it was ready. OR NOT RELEASE IT AT ALL UNTIL IT WAS PERFECT.

I give Forstall a lot of slack, but it's time to reel it in a bit.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #184 of 472
Gosh how did we ever get around pre 2007? Nobody's perfect, stop belly aching and go into a 7-11 and buy a map. It's not that difficult.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #185 of 472

I think the new Maps is a bit of a PR disaster for Apple, but that isn't all bad.  Apple responds the quickest and most drastic when the PR is not good.  So the worse the press gets the quicker and update will come to fix some of the more glaring issues.

Also, I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Google doesn't wind up releasing a stand alone Google Maps app within the next year, especially after so many people are screaming they want Google Maps back.  It'd be stupid for Google to ignore that.

post #186 of 472
Quote:

I'm not defending anything, I'm stating facts. You want to add a road, go add it yourself. You want to add new satellite imagery, you can't. So complain about that. 

I can complain, the version before, I never had to add, the road down my house was already labeled. Apple screwed up, they should of waited. Admit it, you wont melt, I promise. 

post #187 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree with what to say.
However, the agreement between Apple and Google had come to an end.

What exactly were the details of this fabled agreement we keep hearing about?

Was it Apple walking away? Was it Google that didn't want to "renew"? We keep hearing that Apple had no choice. Did they *really* have no choice?  Somehow I doubt that. 

post #188 of 472
The now unfortunate thing about Apple - they don't like to play with others. By corraling their technology system... They essentially kill innovation. Think $100 billion would fix it? Ask the government. Resources alone doesn't make a company more innovate or able to perfect a technology.

Google pretty much owns maps. And right behind them... Is Nokia.
post #189 of 472
Quote:

If you take a few minutes and read over your posts of the last half hour I think you will soon see that you are defending :-) maybe you don't realise it!

But actually I was just looking up open street maps, as you suggested, to see if I can edit the things in my area and it is very basic for here in Flekkerøy, Norway... do you think that they use some other provider for this area? Any ideas who that may be?

EDIT: Just looked on the Maps app and it says Norwegian Mapping Authority -

Edited by sedney - 9/20/12 at 9:27am
post #190 of 472
Quote:

Thing is, Apple actually comes through when they do this.

That's useful when they create something new. It's not useful when it's a replacement for something that works well. In the latter event, Apple needs to get it (largely) right now, or make it a beta (e.g., Siri), and/or give the user options to use the new and existing.

It'd be like if your OSX suddenly became incompatible with Excel.

post #191 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Gosh how did we ever get around pre 2007? Nobody's perfect, stop belly aching and go into a 7-11 and buy a map. It's not that difficult.

You're kidding, right?

Nobody's perfect, go buy a map??

LOL

Not in this market. That "nobody's perfect" excuse can cost tech companies A LOT.

post #192 of 472
Quote:

Gosh how did we ever get around pre 1886? Nobody's perfect, stop belly aching and go into a stable and buy a horse, its not that difficult. 

post #193 of 472
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
...you would think if they wanted to hey could have had the world mapped correctly BEFORE they relased a replacement app......

So Google Maps is still in beta, according to you, and will be in beta for a few more decades?

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post
Apple screwed up, they should of waited.

So then neither Apple nor Google should have released any sort of maps until they were done. Neither service should exist now.

post #194 of 472
Quote:

I'm not defending anything, I'm stating facts. You want to add a road, go add it yourself. 

That is absolutely a defence. You are shifting the onus to get this product right onto the user. It should clearly be upon Apple, since it was Apple who replaced a product which worked well with this new solution.

I'm not sure why you can't see this.

Quote:

So then neither Apple nor Google should have released any sort of maps until they were done. Neither service should exist now.

Of course not. But if you elect to replace a mature product which users are happy with, you'd better damn hope that your own product is comparable. If it's not, you are going to be under fire. Users don't like upgrades which take away functionality.

post #195 of 472

1, You've lost Street View on iOS, live with it.

2. You can regain most of what the previous Google Maps offered by using the mobile web version

3. Apple maps will improve over time

4. Google may create an App Store version of Maps including Street View and most certainly ads.

5. If Apple approves the Google app, consumers will have a choice of maps

6. If Apple rejects a Google Maps app for iOS then, well that would not be a good thing for anyone...

post #196 of 472

Lets face it, Google has done this map stuff pretty well. Put a lot of time and effort into it... notice they don't have 150 billion in the bank.

Although I must say I have had my frustrations with it but really like street view. (note Apple could have done the same, paid USPS or FEDEX etc)

So Apple, just go buy Google and get it over with. /s

Unless Google provides an app (and why should they for iOS users unless it has tons of ads in it?)... going to have to buy a 3rd party app.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #197 of 472

I really like the new maps. It looks really good and loads significantly faster than the old maps. From what I'm reading from others, the 3D map isn't comprehensive, but for the places I've looked at (including my own), it looks really good. The speed of this app is really noticeable compared to the old maps.

post #198 of 472
Quote:

How did you make phone calls pre-2007?

Why not go back to your RAZR?

post #199 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

This is the truth.  Apple claims to take care with making major changes to the iPhone but then rips out one of the most important apps on a smartphone - putting in it's place a much inferior version.  It's a detriment to the platform as a whole, iOS products, and a slap in the face to their customers.  That's to say nothing of their intentional delaying/blocking of competing Google services on iOS (e.g. Latitude for 2 years, Google Voice for a year, and Voice search currently).  Their condescending explanation is that they are preventing users from getting confused.

Hopefully Google releases a full Android-calibre version of Maps for iOS (even though other apps won't be able to leverage it); because Apple is unlikely to ever match it in quality.  To get some idea of the effort that goes into maintaining Google Maps, I'd recommend checking out the recent article How Google Builds Its Maps - and What It Means for the Future of Everything by The Atlantic - http://goo.gl/10cE7

post #200 of 472
Quote:

That is a terribly silly argument. I am sure you know that. Please stop.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world