or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world - Page 7

post #241 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ah, see, Dick, that doesn't matter. It should have been perfect immediately. There's no excuse for not being perfect. :rolleyes:

no one said it had to be perfect no map can be perfect. But we are not talking about perfection here, we are talking about putting towns in the wrong spot and missing half of cities and being unusable in many parts outside the U.S. Apple screwed up, it was rushed, just admit it. 

post #242 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
How do you get, from those images, that "the only legitimate complaints... are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery"?  Do you not even see, e.g., that entire towns are gone?

 

Which is why I mentioned that you can fix it yourself. 

 

Setting aside the fact that I don't think I should have to be Apple's free cartographer - how does lowly me "fix" Apple's decision not to use different emphasis for the "A" routes versus the "M" routes in the U.K., for example?  Or how do I "fix" Apple's decision not to show building outlines and names on university campuses?  These are not situations where "Oops, you mislabelled one of the most famous towns in the U.K., but no worries I've 'fixed' it for you"; these are situations where Apple has made a decision at an information-presentation level, that no single crowd-sourcing user can "fix".

post #243 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A map is not an atlas, it's whole point is to get you from one place to another. In that regard eliminating information that isn't important for that task improves usability. That is why zooming in is required for detailed information. It is no different than a conventional paper map where detailed blocks are used to deliver more information on specific areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

You are indeed spot on! I think the problem is that the Apple maps are similar to the Openstreetmaps in terms of rendering. You will not get detailed information unless you zoom in completely. This may introduce less clutter but at the same time you lose valuable information on maps which defeats the whole point of a map!


Do you honestly think that that Google image of Warwick and Stratford was cluttered?  In one glance I can see city names, village names, and 3 levels of roadways, with labels.  For someone on the go -- maybe behind the wheel, or rushing to get to a bus stop, etc., that "at-a-glance" versus having to zoom zoom zoom (and therefore also scroll, scroll, scroll to see the same larger area) -- makes a great difference.

post #244 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Just wish others would do the same. No one ever said Google Maps would get better when it was launched. No one ever said there were any problems with Google Maps. It never got any locations wrong, nor was it missing any cities. 

 

Oh, wait (read the comments). Did some things right. Did some things wrong. Apparently they never should have released a mapping application at all, since it wasn't perfect at inception. It was certainly prettier than Yahoo! Maps, just as Apple's maps are prettier than Google's. But it wasn't always correct. So apparently that means "it never should have been released" or "should have been held back until it was better". 

 

I'm not saying you can't call out mistakes. I'm giving a solution to fix some of them, for heaven's sake. I'm explicitly saying you CAN complain about some things, as that's entirely Apple's fault. What, you think Google doesn't have locations with clouds obscuring the view? Should Apple have waited until there were no clouds anywhere before releasing any of the data?

 

What online solution was there before Google Maps? MapQuest or something rinkydink like that? The tech world moves a lot faster these days and there's a lot more competition compared to 2005 (and see, there was my Bullet Point #4, DEFLECT! lol.gif)

 

Today, Google Maps is the Gold Standard and it works well. Apple Maps doesn't come close to providing the same experience. This isn't something like Siri. There was nothing on the iPhone comparable to Siri beforehand, so people are more forgiving. But with Maps, Apple has replaced a full-featured product with something that comes up short in many aspects.

 

Before rolling out a new, less functional maps app to devices that people use daily, why not first test out the app in a less-volatile area first so users aren't negatively affected:

 

1) maps.apple.com or something like that. Tie it in as an iCloud service and allow users to poke around, add suggestions/fixes etc. That way it's completely voluntary and an unfinished product isn't forced on users. 

2) Rollout a standalone Maps app in the iTunes store for free. Same as above, but users can get the mobile experience, while still pointing out problems. 

 

Again, these are voluntary actions that would still provide Apple with a wealth of data. Then once Apple feels that it can offer a comparable experience to Google Maps, bake it fully into the OS.

post #245 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Is anyone really surprised Apple maps 1.0 is not equal to Google Maps 6.0?

Give it a few months.. maybe even a year.  With user feedback and resources focused on the Apple maps.. they will eventually catch up.  I have no doubt a company with a $100 Billion in the bank.. can make a great map app.
A voice of reason...... But it's not attention grabbing. Common sense is not always common..
post #246 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK75 View Post

 

This is exactly right.  Apple has downgraded functionality, yet they are advertising it as if it were an upgrade.

 

That's two problems right there.

As a whole, I felt like iOS 6 was a downgrade. It felt like nothing more than Apple removing Google features from iOS such as YouTube and Google Maps. I would have been more satisfied with an iOS 5.2 that included an updated Safari. Yes, iOS 6 introduced other changes as well, but most of those changes felt half-baked and were of little interest to me.

post #247 of 472

Quote:

There's no need to fix it at the source. OSM has excellent data for University Park, PA. For whatever reason Apple screwed it up.

 

Yeah, I'm noticing this myself.

 

I laughed out loud when I noticed that Bancroft Ontario was placed in the middle of a field. However, OSM has no problem locating it properly.

 

The town of Whitney Ontario cannot be found and does not appear in Maps if you manually scroll to the location. It's right there in OSM.

 

My own house cannot be found in Maps when I look for "18 odell ajax". OSM finds it just fine. Adding the ' allows Maps to find it, but it places the marker in the wrong location. Once again, OSM does it perfectly.

 

This is definitely an Apple problem, not a OSM one. This is bad.

post #248 of 472
My only one real problem with Apple Maps is this: Yes, it is a downgrade compared to Google Maps. Less accurate POIs, less information, inferior search. But I wouldn't mind all of this if I could have AT LEAST got the turn-by-turn directions! But no, I have an iPhone 4, so no turn-by-turn. This sucks big time. If I get a downgrade, please give me at least this one thing that is new and an improvement over the previous solution!
post #249 of 472

I just love how no one seems to be talking about the massive problems Google Maps has right now in iOS5.  As I've detailed before it's nearly a daily occurance that Google Maps can't find something I'm looking for or sends me to another state if not another country.  Google Maps IS NOT THAT GOOD.  It works pretty decently but if it's your only solution and you have no idea what to do when it says "No Results found" then you're totally screwed.  I'm not apoligizing for iMaps but to diefy google maps is completly ridiculous.  In my testing (using the same exact things I have problems with in google maps) iMaps has gotten 90% of those right.  There we go, massive scienfitic data, iMaps 90% more accurate but what would make news is hte 10% because people expect perfection even though what they have right now is far from it.

post #250 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It felt like nothing more than Apple removing Google features from iOS such as YouTube and Google Maps.


But on the other hand, Google's new iOS YouTube app is a million times better than the old one, so we're not exactly missing anything. We got rid of the old crusty s**t, and get a new, better app out of it. I say it's a Win-Win :)

post #251 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

They should have waited until it was on par with the competition. 


Apple hubris got in the way. They messed up they should of waited. Google Maps is not just about a piece of data is takes man power and lots of it. Unless apple wants to hire drivers to drive around for 5+ years than imaps will always be behind google maps. 

Street view not only collects pictures but road signs and business names. So next time google maps tells you that tine little street in x town is a one way lane, thank the street view car that drove and picked up that sign.

One more area where Apple maps are screwed, google maps knows everything that google search knows, they share the same database. While apple maps is connected to crappy yelp search, google maps is powered by google search. So when google maps knows that x building that use to be "casa bonita" is now "petes deli" its because Google maps crawls website just like google search does. That in combination of google places is why no one beats google on updated business listings. 

Of and street view don't get me street view. Which has now turned into:
Business view 
Education building view
Government building view 
Museum view
Park view
Ancient structure view

Google maps data puts every other map/geo product to shame.

Google Maps is the holy grail and is increasing at a rate Apple can't match. 

Google map maker? Don't get me started.

There are two places where google can't be touch when it comes to sheer data points. Youtube and Maps. And the Map with the most data wins. Apple you screwed up. 

This.
post #252 of 472

In DFW it's better in all those things so I'm not sure what to make of that. Apple either really cares about DFW, Google doesn't give two sh!ts about DFW or (most likely) it's on a case by case basis...

post #253 of 472
I think Apple has no choice. Google is not adding new features to Google Maps on iOS since iOS 1.0. The so-called Stree View or Public Transit has never been available on iOS.
post #254 of 472

Seems OK to me. Currently in Palm Springs. Checked out my home in UK, that seems OK as well.

 

More than OK, the interface is a vast improvement IMO, and I love the smooth vector roads.

 

No transit, but the google one was pretty inaccurate anyway.

 

In Thailand/Samui next week, will see how it fares there. Not too good according to a previous poster.

post #255 of 472

My opinion so far: 

the APP is a major improvement,  now with turn by turn (I never used the maps much before because they lacked this feture),  Smoother in every way,  Nice/clean interface, vectors, 3D.  I like the turn by turn interface better than on my wifes HTC android phone.  Siri integration, Really nice POI details presentation( better than googles)  overall- awesome!

 

the DATA is a major step back,  Google has THE BEST MAP DATA IN THE WORLD, it took them a decade to compile,  Apple does not.  Simple as that.  The only other decent one is Nokia,  which i'm sure wasn't going to license to Apple (as they are a major competitor). 

 

Hopefully the database can be built quicky.

 

To the people complaining of "Apple taking something away"  in my mind (now, granted, i'm not 100% sure on the contract negotiation between Apple and Google)... it wasn't Apple's to give or take... It was Google's maps, and Apple's license ran out!  what were they going to do?  Pirate google maps? 

Google's own license terms prevent Turn by Turn, and many other features that are considered "standard" on smartphones nowadays;  Apple was falling behind being partnered with a competitor that was preventing them from offering the features that their customers wanted.  This had to change, even if it meant partnering with a smaller, "lower rung" player so at least Apple can impliment these much overdue features.

 

I KNEW how this was going play out.  Since Ios6 Maps were announced, I KNEW there was going to be

1) Improvement in the interface

2) Downgrade in map data. 

 

No two ways about it....


Edited by jvanleuvan - 9/20/12 at 10:23am
post #256 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is a terribly silly argument. I am sure you know that. Please stop.

 

It's not a silly argument. The opposite of his argument is that you should never attempt to replace the "industry standard" unless you already surpass it. Google Maps certainly didn't surpass Mapquest or paper maps when they first released it. It only developed to where it is now, with lot's of incorrect information and still a few glaring errors after years of user feedback. But, according to the logic of, "That is a terribly silly argument," they should never have released Google Maps, after all, they were years behind the competition when they did. (And the, "it's not 2007," argument is just a variation on the preceding.)

 

So, now, everyone considers Google Maps the "industry standard", despite the fact that it is still imperfect, mainly because it's what they've gotten used to using. According to the, "That is a terribly silly argument," logic, no one should ever try to produce another mapping service unless, on the first day of it's release it's better than Google Maps in all respects. An impossible task in mapping, so everyone should just give up.

 

It takes time to do big things and big things often have some rough edges at first. Apple is definitely trying to do some big things with Siri and Maps. There will be some pain at the beginning, but it's ridiculous to think that the rough edges won't be smoothed out, and in the case of Maps, probably fairly quickly. So, one can carp about Maps, Lightening connectors, floppy drives, or one can realize that change is difficult, but if it takes things in a better direction, it's worth the difficulty.

 

No one knows the details, but what if the alternative to Apple's Maps was no maps. What if the alternative was ads in your face whenever you wanted to use maps. What if the alternative was that Apple had to share user data with Google.

 

Clearly, even if none of those was entirely the case, the alternative was that Google was able to control an important part of the user experience on Apple's products. Keeping Google Maps, at whatever price, might have been the easy solution, but taking control of your own destiny is the courageous path, and I have no doubt that Apple's Maps, which are already quite good, will quickly grow to be a service that a great many people will feel they can't live without, and which will provide a better user experience than Google Maps would have.

post #257 of 472

Since Apple partnered with TomTom, among others, on this, it's a mystery why it isn't much better. Shhhhh!!! Maybe TomTom didn't want real competition for their own iPhone app!

post #258 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post


A voice of reason...... But it's not attention grabbing. Common sense is not always common..

 

This is not simply a case of missing features or data. Maps is *broken*.

 

When I try any old random address in OpenStreetMap, it finds it fine and has a proper map. The majority of those same searches fail in Maps. Maps is supposed to be based on OSM, but it seems they have seriously screwed it up.

 

Here;s a simple case. Look for Bowmanville Ontario. In OSM you get Bowmanville. In Maps you get Clarington.

 

Look for Cobalt Ontario. In OSM you don't really get anything, but the pointer is in the correct location near Haileybury and New Liskeard. In Maps Cobalt DOES show up, but neither of the other two towns does.

 

Now try Bancroft Ontario. In OSM you get Bancroft. In Maps you get a field in the middle of nowhere.

 

This is not *bad*, it's *broken*

post #259 of 472

Gathering user generated data is how you perfect a mapping application, and I think Apple made the correct choice to do it now rather than later. People who claim Apple could have done this 'in-house" are out of touch with reality - Thus the notion of waiting to release it until it was "perfect' is just foolish.

 

Like all hard decisions, Apple will take this one on the chin, and in the end, a more capable and user-friend app will emerge.

post #260 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Apple has no choice. Google is not adding new features to Google Maps on iOS since iOS 1.0. The so-called Stree View or Public Transit has never been available on iOS.

Wait, what?
post #261 of 472

Personally, if I didn't like something, I wouldn't buy it. I suggest you Google boys do the same. I think it's great that Apple's doing their own map. I really like the new look and it works great for me (and really fast). My only gripe is, I wish the maps were stored locally (or will they be?). I've used the old maps extensively over the past 5 years and have always complained about its slowness. The new maps is incredibly fast. The map data isn't comprehensive and it's not 100% accurate. If it's not working well in your area, there are plenty of alternatives. No one's forcing you to buy an iphone or use Apple's maps.

 

I also like the new youtube app much better. Those who wanna use google maps, I'm sure there'll be a standalone app for it. Google doesn't want to miss out on the iOS market.

post #262 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

It's not a silly argument. The opposite of his argument is that you should never attempt to replace the "industry standard" unless you already surpass it. Google Maps certainly didn't surpass Mapquest or paper maps when they first released it. It only developed to where it is now, with lot's of incorrect information and still a few glaring errors after years of user feedback. But, according to the logic of, "That is a terribly silly argument," they should never have released Google Maps, after all, they were years behind the competition when they did. (And the, "it's not 2007," argument is just a variation on the preceding.)

 

Preach on, brother!

post #263 of 472

This can't be true...

 

 

Quote:
"One more area where Apple maps are screwed, google maps knows everything that google search knows, they share the same database. While apple maps is connected to crappy yelp search, google maps is powered by google search. So when google maps knows that x building that use to be "casa bonita" is now "petes deli" its because Google maps crawls website just like google search does. That in combination of google places is why no one beats google on updated business listings. "
 

 

I can't even tell you how many times something pops right up in google search but the maps app doesn't find a damn thing... 

post #264 of 472
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post
But we are not talking about perfection here, we are talking about putting towns in the wrong spot and missing half of cities and being unusable in many parts outside the U.S. 

 

Which is exactly. What Google did. When they launched. Their mapping service. You can't hold them to separate standards.


Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Setting aside the fact that I don't think I should have to be Apple's free cartographer

 

Oh, and you don't, certainly. You can wait for someone else to do it and have it take longer, but perhaps be more accurate than we ourselves could have done. We just now have the option of doing it ourselves.


Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
What online solution was there before Google Maps? MapQuest or something rinkydink like that? The tech world moves a lot faster these days and there's a lot more competition compared to 2005

 

Your point being what? I'm comparing Apple's shortcomings to Google's shortcomings, and they were the same in comparison. Towns were missing. Locations were wrong. Roads existed that didn't. They'll all get fixed.


This isn't something like Siri. There was nothing on the iPhone comparable to Siri beforehand, so people are more forgiving. 

 

There was Siri. We still hear about its reduced functionality from standalone.

 
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
I think Apple has no choice. Google is not adding new features to Google Maps on iOS since iOS 1.0. The so-called Stree View or Public Transit has never been available on iOS.

 

See? Depending on where you live, you never had Street View in the first place. Google must be an utter failure, unworthy of even mentioning, if after six years they can't… oh, what's that? They're always adding new stuff? Oh. So Apple can't do that. I see.


Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
What if the alternative was ads in your face whenever you wanted to use maps.

 

That IS the alternative, and it's what all the complainers here will see when they download their savior, Google Maps Standalone. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #265 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


Wait, what?


I have iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1

post #266 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

So, now, everyone considers Google Maps the "industry standard", despite the fact that it is still imperfect, mainly because it's what they've gotten used to using. According to the, "That is a terribly silly argument," logic, no one should ever try to produce another mapping service unless, on the first day of it's release it's better than Google Maps in all respects. An impossible task in mapping, so everyone should just give up.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Apple removed the Map app that users preferred. No one would argue that Apple shouldn't produce their own mapping service if they feel they can do something better or different than current offerings but to eliminate the competition by virtue of 'it's my football and we play by my rules' attitude is a problem. Google Maps should be an option, at least in the interim. Apple can't possibly be so blinded by their own ego to think that their new Maps app is even close to being as full featured and comprehensive as Google Maps was.


Edited by mstone - 9/20/12 at 10:33am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #267 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Like this:





Was that pic taken on 12/21/12?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #268 of 472

Also, for those of you still with 5.1 go ahead and open your maps app and take it over to Arlington, TX.  Then search for "Rooms to go" (ya know, one of the largest furniture chains in the country) and see what happens.  Google doesn't give you a damn thing even though there are 7 in DFW and 1 specifically in Arlington (http://roomstogo.com/storelocator/stores.jsp?zipcode=76011&r=R&lat=32.7542&long=-97.0824&_requestid=711700)

 

Yeah, that same google maps that everyone seems to think is the gold standard.

post #269 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You gotta remember when Google Maps came out we had nothing to compare it to and as years went on it got better, I think it's unfair to think that Apple could overnight come out with a Map app that has taken Google years to get to.

 

Then if they can't make something better, it's not worth doing. Until they *can*.  This is more of Apple's classic mantra - what we keep hearing when they're questioned about why they entered the tablet market, for instance - that got left by the wayside with what is essentially a core point of functionality in any modern mobile OS.

 

I mostly agree with your comments and posts on AI! 

 

But here, I disagree.

 

Anything worth doing, is worth doing... even if that means doing it badly.

 

In a "game" that involves experience [usage] and catching up with the leader -- the sooner you enter the "game" the better!  Apple is likely 1-2 years behind Google in mobile mapping data (just the map data, not street view, traffic, Public Trans or 3D).  

 

If Apple were to wait a year -- they would still be 1-2 years behind... maybe even more.

 

 

Apple's acquisitions for mapping have a lot more potential than just a mobile maps app -- PlaceBase * and the PushPin * API do [did] things that Google Maps cannot do;  Apples 3D is superior in speed and rendering over Google 3D. Entry into the mobile map market will allow to refine the mobile offering as well as these additional, unreleased, capabilities.

 

* Search for these terms and you will find some writeups on some pretty amazing interactive mapping capabilities.   Unfortunately the articles reference demo web sites that are no longer available.   

 

Basically, you had a base (zoomable, pannable, terrain, etc.) maps layer and overlays... Through a simple scripting API you could overlay almost anything on a map (age, median income, years of college, other census data, political data, adult book stores...).  And you could interactively change/combine the overlays.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #270 of 472
Just checking out Maps for Ottawa, Canada, I like:

1. the "neighbourhood" names inside the city - Google didn't do this right
2. the unilingual English street names instead of the mishmash of English and French names used by Google.
3. The use of real street names instead of the alternate, and seldom used, county road names or provincial highway names for streets. Apple does put highway number shields occasionally without obscuring the street names.
4. Avoiding the bizarre French naming of streets such as "promenade de la cote de neige " where you have to plow through the long preamble before learning whether it is "neige" or "liesse" or "sainte catherine".

But it is unfortunate that some restaurants are on the wrong side of the street or further down the street than they are actually. Also few of the restaurants on our Elgin St strip are listed and at least one defunct one is listed. I am sure this will get cleaned up with time. I wonder how these things are updated? I it not streamed in from an up-to-date server map?
post #271 of 472
The problem is that people are having trouble with maps just to go from point A to point B. I would love to see Apple make their maps better, I just think it will be very difficult for them to match google, if possible.
One thing that I don't like at the moment is that when I look for, say, a restaurant, the few results that are shown are not updated as I move the map. I have to relaunch the search to update it when looking at another district.
post #272 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Apple removed the Map app that users preferred. No one would argue that Apple should produce their own mapping service if they fell they can do something better or different than current offerings but to eliminate the competition by virtue of 'it's my football and we play by my rules' attitude is a problem. Google Maps should be an option, at least in the interim. Apple can't possibly be so blinded by their own ego to think that their new Maps app is even close to being as full featured and comprehensive as Google Maps was.

Silly argument. How can you say I preferred google maps? How many other mapping systems are out there outside of google maps that people use on a daily basis(there are over 13,000 on the app store alone)? Apple hasn't elminated the competition. Google is free to produce their own mapping application. Ego? You don't think Apple knows this is their first iteration of maps?

post #273 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Gathering user generated data is how you perfect a mapping application, and I think Apple made the correct choice to do it now rather than later. People who claim Apple could have done this 'in-house" are out of touch with reality - Thus the notion of waiting to release it until it was "perfect' is just foolish.

 

Like all hard decisions, Apple will take this one on the chin, and in the end, a more capable and user-friend app will emerge.

Absolutely correct. You can't build a better map without first releasing a map to improve. Data will be built upon as people use it.

Many people here have way too high expectations of what is achievable and how it can be achieved. 

post #274 of 472
Im very impressed of how far Apple have manage to take their maps application. I had big doubts about them managing brining anything remotely interesting/competitive against Google, but i think they actually did, in any way, its a damn good start! In Stockholm at the moment and compared to Google's service, the satellite quality is a bit worse, but im not surprised, Google's quality for stockholm is terrible to start with :P

SO, they gave me turn-by-turn navigation, yelp integration (to start), vector maps, and much faster response/loading times for the price of giving up some satellite quality, i think i can live with that... What i can't live with, its the terrible search engine!!
Done a few searches and usually messes it up someone (example: confusing new bond st. with bond st. in stratford, who the hell would want directions to that bond st.jQuery18106232018559239805_1348162511036 or that its placing the pin a block or two away from the actual location isn't unusual..)
Anyways keep up the good job Apple, I can't wait until i can actually use the bloody thing...
post #275 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's not a silly argument. The opposite of his argument is that you should never attempt to replace the "industry standard" unless you already surpass it.

Or unless you have no choice.

Google did not renew the contract. So Apple had a choice:
a. Do nothing and leave their phone without a map app (unless Google decides to make one - and it would undoubtedly be cluttered with ads and keep track of everywhere you ever went)

or

b. Make the best map app they could within the time available and then commit to making it better.

Apple chose the latter. Would you really rather have had them choose 'a'?

It's not perfect, but neither was Google (or my car navigation system or my Garmin, for that matter). It's not a terrible app and it's certainly miles ahead of no app - which would have been the alternative.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #276 of 472

My advise: Get over it!

If the Map doesn't work, you're probably living in the wrong place ;)

 

 

Go download another mapping service until Apple inevitably surpass all competition.


Edited by monstrosity - 9/20/12 at 10:43am
post #277 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

So, now, everyone considers Google Maps the "industry standard", despite the fact that it is still imperfect, mainly because it's what they've gotten used to using. According to the, "That is a terribly silly argument," logic, no one should ever try to produce another mapping service unless, on the first day of it's release it's better than Google Maps in all respects. An impossible task in mapping, so everyone should just give up.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Apple removed the Map app that users preferred. No one would argue that Apple shouldn't produce their own mapping service if they feel they can do something better or different than current offerings but to eliminate the competition by virtue of 'it's my football and we play by my rules' attitude is a problem. Google Maps should be an option, at least in the interim. Apple can't possibly be so blinded by their own ego to think that their new Maps app is even close to being as full featured and comprehensive as Google Maps was.

 

Are you certain that apple could have continued to offer the old [Google data driven] Maps app?

 

If Apple's agreement with Google has expired, and they were were not able to negotiate a new agreement -- Then, legally, Apple had to remove it!

 

I am curious as to how long Google is contracted to [supply data] to support pre-iOS 6 Maps.  We have some older iPhones and iPads that are not upgradeable to iOS 6.  At some point I expect that the Maps app will be dropped from these devices.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #278 of 472

I just don't see a 1.0 release that is so messed up as acceptable.  GPS Maps need to be accurate for users and we don't need another excuse for idiots who follow a GPS to the literal extent that they turn onto railroad tracks causing more issues with this.  If Apple was ready with their maps they should have left it out and added it in 6.1 in a few months or done something else.  Having a messed up app from Apple is just not normal, they usually have everything on the mark.

post #279 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or unless you have no choice.
Google did not renew the contract. So Apple had a choice:
a. Do nothing and leave their phone without a map app (unless Google decides to make one - and it would undoubtedly be cluttered with ads and keep track of everywhere you ever went)
or
b. Make the best map app they could within the time available and then commit to making it better.
Apple chose the latter. Would you really rather have had them choose 'a'?
It's not perfect, but neither was Google (or my car navigation system or my Garmin, for that matter). It's not a terrible app and it's certainly miles ahead of no app - which would have been the alternative.

An honest question is, do we actually know if it was google that opted to not renew the contract?
post #280 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Apple has no choice. Google is not adding new features to Google Maps on iOS since iOS 1.0. The so-called Stree View or Public Transit has never been available on iOS.

 

Google did not write the Map app on iOS, Apple did. The only thing Google did was provide the mapping data. That's it. It's up to Apple to update (or now replace) the app.

 

 

Someone in my office pointed me to this. 

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

 

Mapgate 2012.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world