Originally Posted by Mazda 3s
It's the closest analogy I could think of
But it's still not perfect. In the case of Google Maps, it doesn't deterioriate with age like an NBA player. It would only get better, stronger as it collects more data. Apple Maps is starting off years late and still has to compete with a juggernaut that is gobbling data and processing it like a madman. Apple will always have that usability gap since Google is so far ahead in the game and has its search engine to keep feeding data into Google Maps.
I see. So no one should ever release a new product in a market where someone else is already established?
Let's see. There were dozens of portable music players before Apple released the iPod. The first iPod had some deficiencies and there was no way for Apple to ever catch up.
There were tons of phones out there before Apple released the iPhone. The first iPhone had some deficiencies and even some significant problems. So Apple will always be behind.
You're ignoring the very real possibility that Apple can solve the data problems cited in this article. With their attitude and mentality, it is unlikely that Google will ever solve their UI and personal data whore problems.
Originally Posted by Mac_128
It's this kind of thing that demonstrates how Apple will release a product that doesn't totally "delight" it's customers. It's not like Apple didn't know about all the problems their new map app had. The intentionally released a product that wasn't everything the their customers had come to expect, and even promoted it at the iOS 6 presentation months ago, which in retrospect was little more than lipstick on a pig.
Or maybe there's an alternative explanation:
Apple had no choice - their agreement with Google was ending. They released a very good Maps app which, albeit imperfect, offers a perfectly functional and useful application for 99.5% of users. The remaining 0.5%, instead of working with Apple to fix the problem by reporting data errors and/or bug reports, has a massive hissy fit because of unrealistic explanations.
Somehow, I think my explanation is closer to the truth.