or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world - Page 3

post #81 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Street View does not work on their web version. I miss that the most.

Indeed.  People forget how borked Googles maps are on the web.  No streetview, impossibly hard to use UI.  Absolute shite IMO even on a desktop computer.  

Using it on a mobile device by adding a shortcut to the home screen is far from "problem solved."  

People also forget that the mobile Maps app on iOS is actually an Apple app.  That's why it was always so much better than Google maps on the web.  Google hasn't actually shown us yet that it's capable of designing a good maps app for a mobile device.

post #82 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Is anyone really surprised Apple maps 1.0 is not equal to Google Maps 6.0?

Give it a few months.. maybe even a year.  With user feedback and resources focused on the Apple maps.. they will eventually catch up.  I have no doubt a company with a $100 Billion in the bank.. can make a great map app.

Why should I give them a few months or a year? When I'm buying the iPhone I have to pay right there, I can't say, well, give me a few months or a year and I'll give you the money! I f..king paid for the f..king phone and now they have ruined the maps!
post #83 of 472
I was going to post and say it isn't that bad... Just a small step backwards in terms of accuracy. Then I checked international locations I know. It isn't going to help me navigate the streets of Bangkok, as there are no phonetic spellings of street names. It won't find the island I was looking for, just a little village of a similar sounding name (which it errantly gives the same name).

In the US, my location was reasonably close-- right intersection, wrong corner. My office is the parking garage behind the building. It is the kind of issues Google had 2-3 years ago.

Apple needs to invest a lot more money to make this viable.
post #84 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I really don't know what people truly expected.  Did you honestly expect a 1.0 product to match something or even come close to a system that's been going on for several years?  Yes it sucks now, but it's going to take years to catch up to Google.  Fortunately I live in Houston and the maps works great for me.  I also have a great sense of direction, so that helps too. 

They truly expected an upgrade not a downgrade. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabber View Post

@Daekwan;
I wholeheartedly agree. Apple is known for updating their apps a little more ánd better than Google has proven to be in the years that the iPhone existed… In the 5 years Google Maps came preinstalled on the iPhone, has it ever been updated with some serious effort?

This *is* the serious effort!

The Maps app has always been written by Apple... previously Google provided the data. BTW when Street View was added it was a worthwhile upgrade, due mainly to Google. The biggest thing it lacked for me was landscape mode.

Imagine how good the new App would be if it had Google's POI database and imagery... 

post #85 of 472

I've been satisfied with the new Maps but Apple is seriously lacking on waypoints. I was in Chicago the other day and typed in Garret's popcorn and 1 thing popped up on my iPad, which had iOS 6. Typed in Garrett's Poprcorn on my iPhone which is iOS 5 and a gazillion waypoints popped up in the city.

I am hoping though with the large amount of iPhone users that business owners will realize that their business is not being found anymore and will get it added to the database. We'll see if things improve from here on out.

What I'm curious to now is if Google will design an iOS app for Maps or will they let us suffer and let that be a selling point of Android.

post #86 of 472
This is called how to hand your competitors an opening by degrading functionality on a daily used feature by a huge chunk of your customers - and your competitors are waiting to provide the old, better experience...

Apple should have kept the Google Maps in place while they built up their own application until it had equal cababilities then shifted over.

If I was Google, I'd let this go on for about a week (frustration building), then announce that they are working on iOS Map App, but if users really need it they can switch to an Android phone and get it immediately....not sure if they are cagey enough to do that...but especially for international customers they might get quite a good chunk of switchers.
post #87 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigjag69 View Post

Wow. ISheep have something negative to say about God (Apple)

i think that elevates Apple users apart from the rest... they see the good and bad of Apple... they're not here just to bash everything that is non-Apple...

post #88 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Google hasn't actually shown us yet that it's capable of designing a good maps app for a mobile device.

Get real. Google Maps is probably the only reason why anyone should want an Android device. It's fantastic. Hell it even has indoor maps.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #89 of 472
I must say that this first iteration of the Apple Map app is awful. It's an embarrassment to the company. Using it is counterproductive. And I fear it will be years before Apple can fix this.

Let's hope Google produces a useful Map app for the iPhone; otherwise we're stuck with this worthless piece of junk.

I can appreciate the fact that it takes years to produce a really good mapping app, but that said, why did Apple foist this upon its user community at this point in time? I know they are pissed at Google, but the losers in this instance are the users, not Google.
post #90 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I have an idea - if you live in a country where Maps are not yet fully supported - Don't update to iOS 6. 

Perhaps hard to do if you are getting a new iPhone 5 - but here's an idea - don't update to an iPone 5 just yet. 

I would have to think that Apple is hard at work on getting lots of updates to Maps done as soon as possible. 

Or just get a cheap Android phone to use for maps only. 

post #91 of 472
I think it looks great BUT I think they are going to be very far behind Google obviously. It won't be up to par as most of the locations are based on Yelp or Tomtom. Blame those before Apple.
post #92 of 472
I was really looking forward to the maps application but its got that "abandoned open source" look about it. Its slow, not convinced about its accuracy and is missing the transport directions ( I travel by bus ).

So will put Googles back on when available.

Underwhelmed to say the least about IOS 6 so far.

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

post #93 of 472
Hehe:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Edited by Mazda 3s - 9/20/12 at 7:58am
post #94 of 472
For me, so far, Apple Maps have been working better than Google Maps, with few cartographic errors. Your mileage may vary.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #95 of 472

In montreal, the fly over cover the entire metropolitain area, its very nice and I prefer it to streetview because it shows everything (roof tops, backyards, parks, ...)   I did some search of locations with Siri (in iOS 6 Siri locations now works in Canada, about time) and the results were OK, but not as good as google maps.

The new map system would be better if it cover more area with fly over.  Streetview covers pretty much everything in north america.  Giving the limited fly over coverage and incomplete location information, I think the maps have been release to early, it still needs a lot of work.

post #96 of 472
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
Hehe:
http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the link. So instead of fixing the problems themselves, they whine about how bad it is. Why should anyone who brings up iOS' Maps in that regard be taken seriously? The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #97 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

I was really looking forward to the maps application but its got that "abandoned open source" look about it. Its slow, not convinced about its accuracy and is missing the transport directions ( I travel by bus ).
So will put Googles back on when available.
Underwhelmed to say the least about IOS 6 so far.

What? Don't you find "Do not disturb" something you've longed for?
Seriously all they needed was to update the camera app for panoramic pics. All else was fine as is.
post #98 of 472

Steve: "What is this thing supposed to do?"

*half-hearted mumbling*

Steve: "Then why the F*** doesn't it do that???"

*Pink slips appear with the strength of a thousand suns*

post #99 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Is anyone really surprised Apple maps 1.0 is not equal to Google Maps 6.0?

Give it a few months.. maybe even a year.  With user feedback and resources focused on the Apple maps.. they will eventually catch up.  I have no doubt a company with a $100 Billion in the bank.. can make a great map app.

While this is true, it's amazing to me that Apple's products aren't perfect considering how highly everyone thinks of them.
post #100 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for the link. So instead of fixing the problems themselves, they whine about how bad it is. Why should anyone who brings up iOS' Maps in that regard be taken seriously? The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

How should someone go about fixing a bug or missing data in Apple Maps? I don't see a way to report problems or submit new data?

I'm really curious what Apple did here. They said they use Open Street Map for some of the basemap data. In my town, OSM has great maps, but Apple's maps are empty and many of the POIs are missing. So even submitting bugfixes to OSM is no guarantee that Apple will pick them up.

post #101 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Get real. Google Maps is probably the only reason why anyone should want an Android device. It's fantastic. Hell it even has indoor maps.

That's your opinion.  

Everyone I know who uses Android tells me the turn by turn is great but that the rest of it is very similar to the cluster-f*ck that is Google maps on the web. 

post #102 of 472
People it'll get decidedly better once it starts collecting user data.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #103 of 472
Quote:

Like this:

post #104 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

People it'll get decidedly better once it starts collecting user data.

Siri- Is that you?
post #105 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

I'm sure maps will catch up quickly. A step back to make much more progress in the future.

Yes, this is exactly like changing to the Lightening connector or getting rid of the floppy drive. Sometimes you have to throw out the "good enough" and struggle through a little change to get to a better place. The alternative is stagnation. Most people don't like change, but, fortunately, Apple embraces it when it's the right way forward, even if it means a rocky road for a few miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Wait, wait, are people really elevating Google Maps to some holy level, as if it were end the end all be all of mapping software?
Google Maps was ok. At best. And it was only ok because it was free.
I can't tell you how many times Google gave me poor or even wrong directions. If I wasn't super specific with a search, it would find a POI that's not close to me. It would return POIs that make no sense. Etc.
Unless you're in an area with poor Maps support, take all of this with a grain of salt. For most users, there will be no problems. And you won't hear from them. The only people you'll hear are those who are having a problem. It's not an accurate representation of the collective opinion.

Exactly. Google Maps is not some sort of infallible oracle, it was good enough, and it was what people knew.

post #106 of 472

The iPhone is an Apple product.  It is up to Apple, not Google, to make it good.

post #107 of 472
Quote:

If you 3D something outside the flyover coverage or near the end of the zone, you will get horrible results.  But imo this is more anti-apple propaganda than anything. Inside the 3d coverage, the maps are great. The problem is coverage is way to small, Apple should have waited before they release it or put more $$ and cover more.

The 2d map view lacks a lot of details indeed, but it will get better.  Again, this was release too soon.

post #108 of 472
Quote:

Like this:

That was some earthquake, good thing there were only a few cars on the road.
post #109 of 472
Quote:

Like this:

how do you know there wasn't an earthquake? /s

post #110 of 472

It just works,err, well, not so much.

post #111 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

(2) Report bad location info to apple. You can tap on any feature on the screen and then post an update as to what data is wrong.

I know there are a lot of pain points right now, but enjourni makes a great point. If you see problems, report them.

So far, all of the inaccuracies I've seen on the new maps were the same inaccuracies that used to be on Google maps, i was just used to them.

But, i decided to report one so it'll be interesting to see how responsive Apple is, especially now when they are probably deluged with reports.

post #112 of 472

Makes me wonder...who did the beta testing for this? Did they not come accross any of these issues? C'mon now.....Apple is a huge company that prides itself on customer service and a great customer experience and great product design. Its why we all buy their products. But this new app does not seem to meet their standards!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #113 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigjag69 View Post

Wow. ISheep have something negative to say about God (Apple)

Apple customers will complain if it warrants complaining. Fandroids complain about Apple just to complain.

Do Fandroids complain about Android or do they just spout off spec lists like a robot?

For ex:

Average Android Customer: Android lag is a problem when scrolling.

Fandroid: but it has 2.0 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM, NFC, face recognition, 8MP camera, USB ports, a stylus! Open Source!

post #114 of 472
The new maps app is dismal in London. It's missing major train stations for fecks sake!

I buy Apple products because I want the best. Why should customers pay a premium for something that can't even compete with Bing?

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Apple's quality control. 1frown.gif
post #115 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Quote:

How should someone go about fixing a bug or missing data in Apple Maps? I don't see a way to report problems or submit new data?

I'm really curious what Apple did here. They said they use Open Street Map for some of the basemap data. In my town, OSM has great maps, but Apple's maps are empty and many of the POIs are missing. So even submitting bugfixes to OSM is no guarantee that Apple will pick them up.

Touch the bottom right corner of the screen to bring up the map options screen, then choose "Report a problem".

post #116 of 472
Quote:

The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

My complaint is that my hometown doesn't exist on Apple Maps. It is simply not labelled - despite a nearby village being clearly labelled. Is that legitimate enough for you? How is one supposed to navigate to my town when Apple Maps doesn't think it exists?

Additionally, the satellite imagery is absolutely pathetic. I've gone from being able to see my house on Google Maps (and if I wish, my front door via Street View), to my entire town being a vague suburban blur on Apple Maps.

It's not just little towns, either. London looks pretty poor once you step outside the immediate centre - one of the world's most prominent cities. And Apple Maps can't find Paddington, one of London's biggest stations - or, for that matter, Manchester United Football Club, one of the world's most famous sports teams.

Considering that Apple Maps has been positioned as a drop-in replacement for Google Maps, this is utterly unacceptable. What has happened to quality control?

post #117 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Siri- Is that you?

Lol no my voice is much deeper. Google maps was just as bad in the beginning and got progressively better the more people used it same will happen with Apple's maps app. It's already collecting data from those that upgraded to iOS 6.
post #118 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Not ready for prime time. The overview of my house in Rancho Mirage looks like it was shot through a cloud, and the images are extremely grainy. On google maps I could identify the cracks in the street. Another complaint is when trying to map an address in Carmel, California from my address book (the address there don't use street numbers but rather intersections), it cannot be found; never had that issue with Google Maps

So true. Makes the retina display function practically worthless on iMaps. Small shiner on the eye of Apple. I'll give it time but how much is to be seen. 

Mr. Scott
Mr. Scott
post #119 of 472

And here's the kicker: I don't even get 3D Flyover on my iPhone 4. And this is a MAPS APP (really important to have.)

So there goes iOS Maps' key feature for me (and plenty of others as well.)  Google Maps . . . Street View worked beautifully. 

Take note, that this isn't some app that lost a key feature. Yeah, I don't get to use Siri. No panorama photos. I can live with that. But a Maps App is supposed to be a key platform app. And it's gimped for god only knows how many users. 

post #120 of 472
New map App is basically a GPS. For those in cities with Public transportation or that need more detailed info this App just doesn't do the trick. But since we are the ones that suffer because of the war between Apple & Google I'm sure we'll. Be able to find an App that compliments Apples.
This reminds me of taking a direct flight and then taking a stop over. The results are the same albeit not as convenient

Bottom line.: I'm sure Applecwill update their App and everyone will get used to it. We have no choice
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world