or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Embark, Garmin add public transit support for Apple's iOS 6 Maps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Embark, Garmin add public transit support for Apple's iOS 6 Maps

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
Garmin and Embark announced on Thursday that they have updated their iPhone navigation software to add public transportation features to the new Maps in iOS 6.

Navigon now features integration with Apple Maps in iOS 6, giving users the ability to find public transportation information in the new mapping software. The Navigon app has also been updated to take advantage of the larger 4-inch display on the iPhone 5, which will be available on Friday.

Garmin will also update its StreetPilot Onboard iPhone application in the near future with support for public transportation data, the company said Thursday.

"With our recent updates our apps can now serve as an extension to Apple Maps, providing iPhone users advanced navigation capabilities," said Joern Watzke, vice president mobile phone business at Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH. "This includes our new public transportation functionality as well as many additional premium features that aren't available on free navigation apps."

Garmin


Embark, which makes mobile mass transit applications for the iPhone, also announced that its lineup of software is now available for free on iOS 6 and is designed for the iPhone 5. Embark offers step-by-step directions tailed to specific metropolitan regions, giving riders the fastest routes to their destinations.

Embark said Thursday that its public transit applications for iPhone are now integrated closely with Apple's new Maps in iOS 6. The company has routed more than 40 million public transit trips to date, and says it is the No. 1 public transit application for all markets it serves.

"We believe it should be easy to get around big cities in the age of the smartphone," said Embark CEO David Hodge. "With our support for iOS 6, iPhone 5, and the new Apple Maps, we?re making sure transit riders always have access to the information that they need to get where they want to go."

Embark


When the new Maps in iOS 6 were announced in June, Apple revealed that it would use third-party options for transit and walking directions. That's a change from the previous iOS mapping software by Google, which included built-in transit directions.

Apple's iOS software chief Scott Forstall explained that third-party developers would be able to register their software as a routing app. Their services are then made available to the entire system, and show up within Apple's native Maps application.

"When building Maps, we looked around and realized the best transit apps for metros, for hiking, for biking, are coming from our developers," Forstall said in June. "And so instead of trying to develop those ourselves, we are going to integrate and feature and promote your apps for transit right within the Maps app in iOS 6."

Apple's rules for routing apps allow for software that can provide biking or hiking directions, air routes, and subway or other public transportation lines.
post #2 of 59
So much for the "Apple Maps sucks because it won't direct me to the train station" argument.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #3 of 59
Wow !!!

One day later and the App is improving already.

LOVE IT !!!!

Now, if my iPhone 5 (Black 64GB, of course) Arrives tomorrow,
it will make for a sweet weekend playing around.
post #4 of 59

That'll cost you $60 US for Garmin or Navigon.  

 

Apple screws up core functionality, leaves it to third parties to fix things and then charge for it. 

 

What an awesome solution. 

post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That'll cost you $60 US for Garmin or Navigon.  

 

Apple screws up core functionality, leaves it to third parties to fix things and then charge for it. 

 

What an awesome solution. 

Embark, as pictured, is free. I haven't tested it yet, but I think it will work independently of Navigon.

post #6 of 59
Just use Mapquest.....
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Reply
post #7 of 59
Great solution. Giving developers the ability to tap into Apple maps is the best of both worlds. Of course, Apple itself will have to fix some of the current bugs in their maps application but this shows that they have created a modular system where corrections and improvements can be incremental.

Quadra610 is a consumer -- wants stuff for free.
post #8 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Great solution. Giving developers the ability to tap into Apple maps is the best of both worlds. Of course, Apple itself will have to fix some of the current bugs in their maps application but this shows that they have created a modular system where corrections and improvements can be incremental.
Quadra610 is a consumer -- wants stuff for free.

 

Look at a Nokia Lumia with high-quality maps, public transport and turn-by-turn navigation, worldwide and free

post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Great solution. Giving developers the ability to tap into Apple maps is the best of both worlds. Of course, Apple itself will have to fix some of the current bugs in their maps application but this shows that they have created a modular system where corrections and improvements can be incremental.
Quadra610 is a consumer -- wants stuff for free.

 

Apple consumer: wants stuff done right. 

 

It isn't a question of money. 

post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That'll cost you $60 US for Garmin or Navigon.  

Apple screws up core functionality, leaves it to third parties to fix things and then charge for it. 

What an awesome solution. 
To be fair, this existed when Google Maps was on the phone and was included as a core application. So he is not asking for something that did not exist before to be implemented for free. He is saying, I believe rightly so, that it should just work the way it did before. The Embark solution is ok, but the problem is it only covers select Metropolitan areas. My area is not one of them, neither are most of the other metro Areas in the US it seems. It is a step in the right direction though.

Sorry quoted the wrong post meant as a response to waldobushman and his comment of "Quadra610 is a consumer -- wants stuff for free."
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #11 of 59

This would explain exactly why the app just plain S..ks. There is potential - but we won't see it for years.

 

Dear Apple, I am very unhappy with maps. yes, yes, I know that one day Maps will be sensational - but with all the navigation errors, I fear it will take years before it is right. One message said to Go North when there was no North - only east and west. I've missed streets because of Lag - If Lag is a necessary evil, can't it be reversed so that I don't miss my streets??? Okay,, so I've encountered incorrect street names - the real problem was when there was a Fork in the road (not the eating type) The actual street veered to the right and the head on street had a different name - yet maps saw the head on street as the main rd.
Please pull the plug - Steve Jobs would have! He would have been furious! 
Everyone can expect a few errors, but gosh - there are WAY to many errors for a simple little 8 mile trip across town.

post #12 of 59

Gosh I can't wait until a time, maybe three days or a week from now, when we can look back at that time when Apple's new Maps app wasn't all things to all people, gosh that what a fun few days that was. 

 

FYI - I have used MapQuest on my iPhone for turn by turn spoken navigation for some time - Google is still superior at deciphering what I type into a specific location than MapQuest - but since Copy and Paste were added I use each app for what it does best. 

 
post #13 of 59

Shhh.... Apple is not giving the whiners from the previous thread a chance to catch their breath.

This is the problem with freetards from the prior thread.  They shoot first, ask questions later.  Zero patience to see the big picture, or wait for something better to come out of it.

No, they want it "now", better-options be damned!

post #14 of 59
Originally Posted by Zomp View Post
Steve Jobs would have! He would have been furious! 

 

Stop this now.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #15 of 59
I'm waiting for Mapquest to integrate itself with Apple's Map App. After all Mapquest is FREE. This would greatly improve Apple's Map App.

Apple's Map App is going to quickly improve with the help of 3rd party developers.

I think nearly all problems will be gone from it soon.
post #16 of 59

Finally!

post #17 of 59
Just watch.

Google is going to come out with a Google Maps app for the iPhone.

AND IT WILL HAVE ADs.
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So much for the "Apple Maps sucks because it won't direct me to the train station" argument.

 

Except the apps cost ridiculous amounts of money, they only work for the USA-ians (again), and there's no guarantee they will even work if you bite.  

 

Annoying to me also is the fact that Apple has decided to let these scam-like apps into the App store in most countries regardless of the fact that they only work in the USA.  The top four selections when I go looking in my country are all apps that if you read the fine print, only serve transit information for the United States.  

 

I mean what where they thinking to let an app in the Canadian store that only has directions for the USA?  They aren't clearly marked as such either, they all have confusing made-up names and none seem to be from any recognised authority.  To make matters worse, in my province, there actually is a recognised authority and the information is online in web form.  

 

Reaching out to the actual transit authorities in the run up to the release of the app would have solved at least half if not more of the f*ck-ups.  But no one thought of that I guess.  

 

As we speak there are probably dozens of foolish people clicking on these expensive SCAMS and finding out too late that they have been robbed of 40 dollars for an app that is actually completely useless.  

 

Apple has seriously dropped the ball here even in terms of user experience.  The majority of customers aren't even aware of half the things we are discussing on this forum, have no idea what's going on and are likely very, very, pissed off right now.  All of this rage will be directed at Apple.  

 

The fact that no one at Apple seems to have even thought of this or realised what a cluster-f*ck it was going to be means that they probably justly deserve said rage.    


Edited by Gazoobee - 9/20/12 at 1:04pm
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

 

Look at a Nokia Lumia with high-quality maps, public transport and turn-by-turn navigation, worldwide and free

Too bad the Lumia 920 is currently pure vaporware -- no release date, no price.  By the time it finally gets released, Apple will have fixed the map situation.  Good luck with that, Nokia.

post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Stop this now.

 

Sez you.

 

I think this is one of the few times when this comment is actually quite justified.  Steve Jobs wouldn't have even allowed them to continue using that silly icon with the directional error in it, let alone released a product with so many obvious flaws that would be so easy to correct if someone had the brains to think about it before hand.  

 

I think it's almost guaranteed that several people would have been fired over this if Steve was still around.  As it is, we probably will never know who screwed up and why and they will continue to work at Apple in some capacity. 

post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Just watch.

Google is going to come out with a Google Ads app for the iPhone.

AND IT WILL HAVE MAPs.

 

FTFY.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #22 of 59
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Sez you.

 

Says anyone, because none of us could possibly know what he would or would not have allowed. Nothing said in that respect could possibly be correct.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #23 of 59
I disagree with people knocking Apple Maps. First, the phone isn't even out yet. So people knocking it are early reviewers or people lucky to somehow get their hands on it early. Other people should hold of knocking it until they have actually used it. Second, Apple in some ways has undoubtedly improved the map experience. For instance, Siri integration, turn-by-turn, better map resolution, and working with automobile manufacturers to sync with the iPhone is likely going to be great. The application seems to be taking a hit in some areas such as accuracy of some directions, street view, and lack of transportation directions. This brings me to my third point.

Third, Apple needed to take control of the Map experience to improve on it. It needs the data that currently Google gets to make it happen. For example, some reports suggest Google was withholding turn by turn. Apple can't rely on Google to supply something as important as Maps.

Look at all the people hating on Final Cut Pro X. On the App Store it was getting one and two stars when it first came out. Within six months Apple greatly improved the application, and now most people love the App. Maps will be the same way. Apple has integrated ways within the app to improve the experience by allowing users to tell it when something is wrong.


Further, people automatically assume Apple is responsible for it dumping Google maps. The contract between the two parties ended, and either party could have demanded unreasonable terms.
post #24 of 59
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
I disagree with people knocking Apple Maps. First, the phone isn't even out yet. So people knocking it are early reviewers or people lucky to somehow get their hands on it early.

 

iOS 6 came out yesterday. Anyone with an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad 3, and 4th gen iPod touch can have these maps.

 

Further, people automatically assume Apple is responsible for it dumping Google maps. The contract between the two parties ended, and either party could have demanded unreasonable terms.
 

I heard that Google refused to license turn-by-turn to Apple, for example. No source for it, but it's a possibility.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #25 of 59
Maps is now a platform, not an app.
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Sez you.

 

I think this is one of the few times when this comment is actually quite justified.  Steve Jobs wouldn't have even allowed them to continue using that silly icon with the directional error in it, let alone released a product with so many obvious flaws that would be so easy to correct if someone had the brains to think about it before hand.  

 

I think it's almost guaranteed that several people would have been fired over this if Steve was still around.  As it is, we probably will never know who screwed up and why and they will continue to work at Apple in some capacity. 


You're right. Steve Jobs would never release an iphone without cut/paste or a native SDK. He would never release a half-baked speaker system for the iPod. /s

post #27 of 59
Quote:

 

 

Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 12:48 pm

Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

 

 

C'mon Apple, Get with the program... we can't wait forever... it's been one whole day!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Maps is now a platform, not an app.

 

That is an astute observation!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Except the apps cost ridiculous amounts of money, they only work for the USA-ians (again), 

As usual, you can't be bothered to get the facts right.

Try this:
http://letsembark.com/#home

Now, read the bold headline in the middle of the page:

"We make free, fast, and simple
mobile apps for mass transit
riders worldwide."

Any questions?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 59
I've just downloaded Embark NYC Subway and I don't see the integration to Maps. In fact Embark uses the same NYC map used by iTrans NYC, and that can also be downloaded from MTA's website. Was any transit info supposed to overlay with Maps or do we solely rely on the third party app for that info?
post #31 of 59

I sometimes don't know what I'm talking about and this may, indeed, be one of those times ..... but isn't Apple going to use a lot of crowd source info for the map app .... and if that is the case, doesn't it stand to reason that, as more and more people are using the iPhone, the map app will be more and more accurate. I think that with the predicted success of this phone we should see an even more amazing product as time goes by. I'll reserve my judgement of it until it gets more mature ..... in the meantime google maps is still available on the web, so not really something to lose sleep over, IMHO.

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #32 of 59
LOL: navigate (hehe) to google maps on the browser and first thing is a note on how to add the page to your home screen, a bit later there's a note "the same Google Maps, now in your mobile browser".

Yawn.
post #33 of 59

Anyone who travels in outlying areas (or overseas) where wifi or cellular connections are unavailable or not utilized, will want to use a paid app anyhow.  The little I paid for Navigon (both domestic and European versions) has been saved many times over by being available everywhere, due to having to rely only on GPS availability, saving a bunch on gas and time spent.  I never liked the Google app for navigation anyhow, due to the lack of turn-by-turn, and because it is virtually unusable in any way if you are out of wifi/cellular range.

 

Let's face it, $60 for a superb app like Navigon USA is not too much to pay, in the overall context of what we all spend on the phone itself and the carrier contract, compared to the benefit derived.

 

After all, Navigon was impressive enough for Garmin to scoop it up last year.  I used the European version (more expensive at $120), to travel around the UK and Europe - with amazing accuracy and ease of use - money well spent and saved.

post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

Too bad the Lumia 920 is currently pure vaporware -- no release date, no price.  By the time it finally gets released, Apple will have fixed the map situation.  Good luck with that, Nokia.

 

It's been out for almost a year on the lumia 800/900... If anything Nokia has a perfect mapping solution.

post #35 of 59
The Transit App (free, with premium features as subscription) is another good one.
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Sez you.

 

I think this is one of the few times when this comment is actually quite justified.  Steve Jobs wouldn't have even allowed them to continue using that silly icon with the directional error in it, let alone released a product with so many obvious flaws that would be so easy to correct if someone had the brains to think about it before hand.  

 

I think it's almost guaranteed that several people would have been fired over this if Steve was still around.  As it is, we probably will never know who screwed up and why and they will continue to work at Apple in some capacity. 

I agree with this.  In other places, such as perhaps the overall design of the iPhone 5, this statement about Steve Jobs probably would not be anywhere near to truth.  In his mind, perhaps even antennagate wasnt a real problem, as the solutions were so simple.  However, here, Maps presents a real problem for many people.  It is one where could potentially weaken the whole Apple experience for a person.  In some cases it would definitely be the opposite of "it just works"  Here was a product that they did not HAVE to release right away, it is merely one element within the system. The very first iPhone and several other products were rumored to be delayed because Steve found flaws they he thought made the product not ready.  

Perheps though, this was unavoidable.  Maybe they did have to release it as their contract with Google was expiring and they could not get one for just 1 yr.  However, Steve had a way of pushing people to stretch themselves beyond the ordinary.  This has been said about him often by many different sources.  So maybe it would have been ready if he were here.

post #37 of 59

the fact that the transit Apps are not intergrated into maps is a negetive for me ....and there is no free MTA bus support app ...i seen one for $2.99 anyone one knows if its any good 

post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Sez you.

 

I think this is one of the few times when this comment is actually quite justified.  Steve Jobs wouldn't have even allowed them to continue using that silly icon with the directional error in it, let alone released a product with so many obvious flaws that would be so easy to correct if someone had the brains to think about it before hand.  

 

I think it's almost guaranteed that several people would have been fired over this if Steve was still around.  As it is, we probably will never know who screwed up and why and they will continue to work at Apple in some capacity. 

I agree with this.  In other places, such as perhaps the overall design of the iPhone 5, this statement about Steve Jobs probably would not be anywhere near to truth.  In his mind, perhaps even antennagate wasnt a real problem, as the solutions were so simple.  However, here, Maps presents a real problem for many people.  It is one where could potentially weaken the whole Apple experience for a person.  In some cases it would definitely be the opposite of "it just works"  Here was a product that they did not HAVE to release right away, it is merely one element within the system. The very first iPhone and several other products were rumored to be delayed because Steve found flaws they he thought made the product not ready.  

Perheps though, this was unavoidable.  Maybe they did have to release it as their contract with Google was expiring and they could not get one for just 1 yr.  However, Steve had a way of pushing people to stretch themselves beyond the ordinary.  This has been said about him often by many different sources.  So maybe it would have been ready if he were here.

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


As usual, you can't be bothered to get the facts right.
Try this:
http://letsembark.com/#home
Now, read the bold headline in the middle of the page:
"We make free, fast, and simple
mobile apps for mass transit
riders worldwide."
Any questions?

 

The "embark" app is not one of the ones available in my app store.  

When and if such an app becomes available I will be able to tell you what I think about it.  All I see in my app store are a half dozen scam apps that all cost 40-50 dollars.  

 

Nothing you can say will change the fact that this is a total screwup on Apple's part in many different ways.  Most of the confusion/rage etc. could have been easily avoided, but it wasn't.  

 

I live in a very large metropolitan area (the third largest in my country), less than 20 minutes from the US border.  My city hall has open source 3D building information available that Apple could have asked for and used.  My transit authority has freely available transit information on a website that Apple could also have easily integrated.  They could have reached out to the transit authorities in place like my town and got them to make an app.  Lots and lots of different things like that *could* easily have been done, but they weren't.  

 

Additionally, you only have to go half a mile outside of town on iOS maps to get black and white satellite imagery from the 1970's,  or pictures of cloud banks.  A much better option for places where they have such atrocious and counter-productive imagery would be to simply not include the imagery at all.  No one thought of that simple fix either.  

 

I think Apple f*cked up here and I think they deserve all the criticism they are getting.   They look foolish when they didn't have to and they could have put a much greater effort into getting things ready but they seemingly didn't bother.  Remember, they got their first look at these datasets several years ago.  They've had all that time to either correct them or not use them.  

 

It's just plain sloppy.

post #40 of 59

Some of you guys/gals are hilarious.  I haven't used iOS 6 yet (don't want to lose jailbreak) but the general consensus is that Apple dropped the ball with the maps.  How the maps app(s) will evolve is irrelevant.  They hyped the feature up, declared victory over google, then took a crap directly into your hand.  The age old "it is an evolving product, just wait until a year from now" excuse is for Android users, right?  So stop using it.  Stop defending Apple.  Just. Stop. Now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Embark, Garmin add public transit support for Apple's iOS 6 Maps