or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iOS 6 adoption above 15% after just 24 hours, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 6 adoption above 15% after just 24 hours, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Well I bet you're wrong.

 

He's shockingly wrong, in fact, but they won't have Maps "fixed" in less than a year, I don't imagine.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I bet the adoption of its 6 is slower that others over a longer period. There are heaps of people who won't upgrade because the crap map app.

I can't imagine that most will even know about "Mapgate" prior to installing. Apple will lose nothing worthwhile by certain people not upgrading or jumping ship because of the Maps.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He's shockingly wrong, in fact, but they won't have Maps "fixed" in less than a year, I don't imagine.

Yep - you're prolly right. Heck, here in NZ It will likely be longer for full functionality.
Given how Google Maps are an always ongoing work in progress anyway - Apples implementation couldn't really be much different in so far as a timeframe is concerned. I'm really surprised that they've taken that beast on by the horns !
It'll take time for sure, but that's no reason not to upgrade as suggested by troll 900576. lol
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Try telling that to people when they're bragging how Android "the entity" is outselling iOS devices.

 

Yup. I love the LOL ANDROID IS OUTSELLING IPHONE line, or bragging about some marketshare, so fucking idiotic. As if Android is one ficking company making one phone, not a free OS spammed to almost every phone by every company on the planet. Wait, so you mean almost every smartphone on the planet made by almost every company on the planet combined are outselling the iPhone? AMAZING!

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I bet the adoption of its 6 is slower that others over a longer period. There are heaps of people who won't upgrade because the crap map app.

 

Uh, no. By these "heaps" are you referring to the millions of comments online? Do you think that has any bearing on reality? When has that ever been the case?

 

I'll help you out: Never. 

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


Android users constantly get updates, I get updates to the core Google Apps quite often, this has been explained to your dozens of time. Yes we don't some OS updates, but we don't have to wait for an OS update just to update mail.
And again, how is the user screwed? You never seem to give a good answer to this, I am on 2.3 yet I still get all the latest Google apps (excluding Chrome), I get bug fixes to apps constantly, but somehow I don't feel "screwed"

because since most users are stuck on 2.3, apps cannot unlock the full potential of android's 4.0 (4.1) APIs, for example. that's another reason for android's lag and overall crap. that's another reason for the iphone 4s feels faster than any android phone.. ANY.

 

the 5? i can only imagine :) 

post #47 of 59

IOS 6  Map app in my area (Windsor, Ont.) seems to be working at least as well as Google Maps. May run into gaps as I drive around with it, but

likely a lot of map data readily available for southern Ontario. But for those finding significant errors or lack of detail, I can appreciate the frustration. Google Maps on my cell has been very helpful when I've needed it. I don't see that problems of this magnitude (e.g. worldwide) are going to be fixed overnight. But as I understand the background, Apple's war with Google over Android and the lack of improvement in the Google Map app for Mac, versus Android, provoked Apple into a major investment in its own Map app. Apple will undoubtable see that it tops Google's map offering eventually, but I haven't seen any estimates of how long it'll take. I'd be guessing many months, if not a year-plus, based on descriptions of how much data has to be inputted. 

post #48 of 59
Hey - nice first post !
Not at all like some other recent first timers lately. lol
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


I wasn't aware that Android was an entity, the responsibility for offering an update is that of the carrier and the OEM, not this magically person Android you talk of.

 

I've seen him. He's green, short and rotund. 

 

I bought a HTC Incredible before iPhones were available on Verizon and the most recent update (this year) has gotten me up to Android version 2.3.4. Fandroids LOVE to complain how Apple's walled garden prevents them from being free. How free am I with Android if the latest version I can run is 2.3.4???? That's likely only a maintenance update over the 2.2 I started with 2+ years ago. Meanwhile Even the venerable 3GS can be upgraded to iOS6.

 

My first iPhone,  version 5, arrives at my door on 5 Oct... whoo hoo!!!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't be a masochist; you shouldn't be ignored! Just more accurate, is all.

Now, what is that saying about the pot and the kettle?
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So once again, you're either not bright enough to realize the difference between an OS upgrade and an app upgrade or you're being intentionally obtuse.
I already explained your answer many, many times.
1. You don't get security patches for the older versions of Android.
2. You don't get any OS bug fixes.
3. Some apps (such as Chrome) require newer versions of Android, so you can't run them.
4. Any time an Android OS version introduces new OS features, you don't get them.
So, which is it:
1. Android is perfect and never had a bug or security issue - plus the newer versions don't have anything that any user could ever want.
or
2. Inability to update Android devices to a newer version is a real problem.
No more dancing around. Answer the question.

I know the difference, I referenced the difference, but you seem to like to ignore parts of what people say.

1. I know that, I have referenced it before, you like to ignore certain things
2. I know that, I have referenced it before, you like to ignore certain things
3. Some apps? You have managed to list one (actually it wasn't you, I had to tell you that one)
4. Of course. And with Apple even if you get the iOS upgrade that doesn't mean you get the new features

Now for the big you don't seem to understand.

Apple only updates the core apps via an OS upgrade, there is no reason for this, they could be updated independently. Google updates them separately. I said you don't need an OS update just to update mail, you seem to ignore this fact. I have also said that you don't get general OS updates (which include OS bug fixes), but you like to pretend that I don't seem to know this. What is this?
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta 
So once again, you're either not bright enough to realize the difference between an OS upgrade and an app upgrade or you're being intentionally obtuse.
I already explained your answer many, many times.
1. You don't get security patches for the older versions of Android.
2. You don't get any OS bug fixes.
3. Some apps (such as Chrome) require newer versions of Android, so you can't run them.
4. Any time an Android OS version introduces new OS features, you don't get them.
So, which is it:
1. Android is perfect and never had a bug or security issue - plus the newer versions don't have anything that any user could ever want.
or
2. Inability to update Android devices to a newer version is a real problem.
No more dancing around. Answer the question.

Do you mean how apple updates some devices in name only? Like how it will update the iphone 4 but really not give it the new features? Like turn by turn navigation, siri, flyover, face time over data, etc.? Yes android updates are nothing to brag about but seeing as for many I device users ios 6 just added some new apps (passbook) and updated some old ones (safari) its pretty much the same as android only they get the apps updated when apple feels like it, and they loose update support for those apps after a while, Google released 2.2 in 2010, but users stuck on that version still have the play store the newest YouTube app and maps.
Edited by Apple v. Samsung - 9/21/12 at 2:11am
post #53 of 59
Meanwhile, iOS 6 begins to suck batteries dry at a fast rate. Hop over to the Apple Discussion Forums and it is a major issue, as bad as the iOS 5 mess. Seems to drain the battery faster on the iPhone 4 compared to the 4S, but my 4S battery is draining more quickly than it did with 5.1.1, and none of the settings have changed.

The new maps app is awful. The traffic indicators are terrible and the loss of Street View is a major blunder. Flyover is pointless. When you do a lot of field work for your job, the Street View comes in very handy for searching and viewing property locations. No more with iOS 6. Oh well.

The battery issue needs to be addressed ASAP.
post #54 of 59

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the early adopters for installing iOS 6 on a perfectly good phone and supplying feedback.

 

I'm good.

post #55 of 59

I'm in Budapest. Just upgraded to iOS 6, no real problems so far - though the App store is a little slower than it was before. 

 

Regarding the maps, Budapest looks fine; perhaps not quite as detailed as the previous app, but it is finding all that I throw at it so far. What was rather cool, was finding the Apple Map App had saved my search history from the old app. See... Apple can still do things right. ;-)

Addabox: "But, you know, if you have to invoke a free OS on a free tablet on a free internet to "prove" that any possible Apple branded tablet would be a poor value, then knock yourself out."
Reply
Addabox: "But, you know, if you have to invoke a free OS on a free tablet on a free internet to "prove" that any possible Apple branded tablet would be a poor value, then knock yourself out."
Reply
post #56 of 59
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
Now, what is that saying about the pot and the kettle?

 

I don't ignore anyone. I feel the concept itself is in poor taste. Just don't make crap up, is all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #57 of 59

Only problem I have with iOS 6 is battery life, which seems substantially degraded on my 4S.  Haven't figured out yet if a setting was changed by the upgrade or what.

 

Maps work fine for me.  No worse than Google's maps, which were buggy as heck.

post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't ignore anyone. I feel the concept itself is in poor taste. Just don't make crap up, is all.

I haven't made anything up, why do you feel the need to say I have?
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I agree that Maps in iOS 6 is sub par.

And I've posted this in the other discussion thread, but seriously, are there methods that the public can join in to help improve maps?...especially considering the fast/large adoption rate of iOS6 Maps.

If so, what are those methods?....and if so, how best to publicize these methods?
 


Moving on to SOLUTIONS (to assist iOS Maps)... http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/how-to-report-a-problem-with-ios-6-maps-data/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iOS 6 adoption above 15% after just 24 hours, report says