or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

post #1 of 246
Coming on the heels of numerous complaints regarding Apple's new Maps app introduced with iOS 6 on Wednesday, the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time.

Apple spokesperson Trudy Miller on Thursday told All Things D:

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service ... We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.

Maps Location Innacuracy
Inaccurate locations in Apple's new Maps app. | Source: Tumblr

The new Maps app baked in to iOS 6 replaces Google Maps, the service Apple has used since the first iPhone was launched in 2007. A round of iPhone 5 reviews published on Tuesday found Apple's first attempt at a mapping service to be comendable, but not nearly as functional as the tried and true option from Google. For example, Maps doesn't support transit routes out of the box and the flyover feature, while impressive, is limited.

Maps Flyover Rendering Issue
Flyover rendering issues.

A number of iOS 6 users have reported inaccuracies with the new service, including misrepresented locations, decades-old place names and incorrect tagging of businesses. Also at issue are incomplete mapping data, bugs in Flyover rendering and a gross lack of specific building data iOS users have come to expect from the legacy Google Maps-based app.

Incomplete Data
Google Maps' building data (left) versus same view on Apple's Maps (right).

Such shortfalls are to be expected from a fledgling product, especially when compared to a well-established service like Google Maps, which has seen constant upgrades and tweaks for nearly a decade.

According to All Things D sources, Apple is keeping its Maps team "under lockdown" to fix some of the larger errors seen in the new app, though it is unlikely that any significant changes will be made in the near future.
post #2 of 246

When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #3 of 246
In the mean time, users of the service are left in the dark. This is not quality.
post #4 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Those didn't replace anything. Other tablets continued to be available, users had choice. This is not the case now, unless you do like me and do not upgrade.
post #5 of 246
This may be the reason I don't update to iOS6. The rest of iOS6 I could take or leave, but the old Maps app was the stock app I used the most. I always thought using Google Maps in Safari was a pain.
post #6 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Those didn't replace anything. Other tablets continued to be available, users had choice. This is not the case now, unless you do like me and do not upgrade.

They did replace something. They replaced Google's maps with their own. Whether you consider them an adequate replacement or not is up to you.

I know they'll get better in a year or two, so in the meantime I'll be using Google Earth and Waze apps. I'll use Apple's maps occasionally for the larger cities.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

This may be the reason I don't update to iOS6. The rest of iOS6 I could take or leave, but the old Maps app was the stock app I used the most. I always thought using Google Maps in Safari was a pain.

If you are capable and willing to use any number of free or low cost replacements, this won't be a big deal. If Google maps are "mission critical" for you, you may want to buy an Android phone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 246
Quote:

In the mean time, users of the service are left in the dark. This is not quality.

Stop crying and download another app in the meantime. It's really not the end of the world!

post #9 of 246
Quote:

Yeah, because I totally cannot use Maps now. I definitely didn't use the nifty turn-by-turn navigation earlier today. Yeah. In the dark.

post #10 of 246
Quote:

Consumers still have choice. They have the choice to use an iPhone. They have the choice to upgrade to iOS 6. They have the choice to use maps.google.com in Safari. They have the choice to use any number of third-party apps.

post #11 of 246

Oh, hey. Guess what. Other mapping services continue to exist.

post #12 of 246

I don't discount anyone's woes, but to chime in with some good feedback..  I haven't experienced any issues in Southern California around Orange County..  So far it's been stable, fast, accurate and the Siri integration is awesome.   

post #13 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Stop crying and download another app in the meantime. It's really not the end of the world!

Enduring the whining and self pity I see on this list almost makes me want to become a Republican.... almost. 

Nah.

post #14 of 246

"...the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time."

They keep using that phrase...I do not think it means what they think it means...

And the reason its such a lame explanation is that, when you think about it,

can anyone name a single piece of software or hardware

ever released

that wasn't "a work in progress"?

I think that when you want to shout from the rooftops about your incredible advances,

and how they'll change your lives,

and advertise and then sell them as features,

superior to your competitors',

that perhaps they should be just a little more developed - a little closer

to something you don't need to apologize or make excuses for.

I've always thought that that was part of what separated Apple from the losers

post #15 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's no use, this poster just likes to gripe about everything the iPhone does. Don't even mention the *gasp* new dock connector. Apparently, Apple sent a secret team of agents into his house, stole his current iPhone, and MADE him use an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 loaded on it. And didn't give him an adapter.

post #16 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I don't discount anyone's woes, but to chime in with some good feedback..  I haven't experienced any issues in Southern California around Orange County..  So far it's been stable, fast, accurate and the Siri integration is awesome.   

Same here just outside another major metropolitan area in the Midwest.

Most issues seem to be outside the U.S.

post #17 of 246
So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.
post #18 of 246

I hadn't even used Google Maps for ages in iOS because the lack of turn by turn was deplorable.

Just download and use Waze. It does turn by turn with speech, even on the 3GS and it is free. It even allows you to search through different engines for your results. Set it to Google and be good to go.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #19 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

"...the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time."

They keep using that phrase...I do not think it means what they think it means...

ever released

I think that when you want to shout from the rooftops about your incredible advances,

Considering even Google relies on user sourced info to make their Maps better, Apple's main way of improving the Maps application was to release it and then quickly improve it. 

It works fine for the majority of people, and it's better (at least for me) in many respects. 

post #20 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.

Maybe it was because you used profanity and added nothing to the discussion.

Just maybe.

post #21 of 246

It's a Maps app...as stated, there are others available.  How did you get around 6 years ago before there was a mobile map?  Some people are just ridiculous.

post #22 of 246

I found google maps to be a pain. On the iPhone 4, no turn-by-turn and I had to manually update which road I needed next. I downloaded the free mapQuest app and never looked back.

post #23 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I hadn't even used Google Maps for ages in iOS because the lack of turn by turn was deplorable.

Just download and use Waze. It does turn by turn with speech, even on the 3GS and it is free. It even allows you to search through different engines for your results. Set it to Google and be good to go.

People seem to forget how there's this thing called THIRD PARTY APPS available.

Also, maps.google.com.

post #24 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

ever released

When I was at IBM they would say:

1. We understand the problem.
  2. We have our best people working on it.
  3. We have nothing more to say at this time.

But, in all fairness, a service like a mapping program is a "work in progress"... and it always will be. 

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #25 of 246

Forgot to add, i've used it 3 times since updating. Maps have been fine, I love it.  The only thing I missed after leaving Android were the turn by turn directions.  Now I have it back, so what if it may eventually "fail" me once or twice.  It's frickin' technology, it's not perfect, and I already prefer it to the Google version.

Bottom line, it WILL get better, just as Google's got better over time.  It's already starting better than Google with the vectoring.

post #26 of 246

No problem using the Maps App in NJ and NYC.  My biggest complaint (even on a Verizon 4S) with Google's maps was that they were painfully slow.  iOS 6 maps scroll much smoother and the 'gray boxes' fill in around 5 times faster than iOS 5 maps.  I am looking forward to them getting even better, and with 15% adoption rate of iOS 6 already, I think that will happen rapidly.

I also don't get people complaining about "long download times" for the iOS 6 update or other slowness related to the first day of an OS release.  No one is forcing you to upgrade on the very first day along with everyone else.  I upgraded several devices yesterday each in around 30 minutes.  The time that Android users have to wait for their latest releases is measured in months!

post #27 of 246
Quote:

You have to stick with SW on this one. They try new stuff with SW all the time, and have reversed their stance on it more than once. Safari had tabs on top for a spell; although that was a beta release. iMovie was redone and then they had to release the old version because it didn't have a lot of features people wanted. I think there was something like that with FCPX, too.

They won't be able to do that with Maps. The best could do now is approve Google's App Store submission and add a Settings option to change which map (and mail and browser apps are default) but we both know that won't happen for at least a year.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #28 of 246
I'm surprised they didn't call it a beta like they did with Siri.
post #29 of 246
In the meantime, there is still www.google.com/maps. Add it to your home screen.
post #30 of 246
It's not working well up here in the Hamilton/Toronto Canada. The app is beautiful, and I'm sure it will work better shortly, but right now it doesn't understand the addresses I input
post #31 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Yeah, because I totally cannot use Maps now. I definitely didn't use the nifty turn-by-turn navigation earlier today. Yeah. In the dark.

My cousin lives in a small town in Massachusetts. Other than the pin dropping in that area, 85% of the roads are just not there. He literally IS in the dark. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #32 of 246

I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:

1. does it include ads?
  2. is it tracking you?
  3. can you opt out of ads or tracking?
  4. would you prefer a private mapping mode?
  5. is none of this a problem?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #33 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

But, in all fairness, a service like a mapping program is a "work in progress"... and it always will be. 

Please don't suggest that "work in progress" is the same thing as what people are taking an issue with. No one is suggesting there will be no updates to the app. No one is saying it doesn't have any nice aspects to it. You knew full well they are saying it's not as useful as the previous app.

Let's remember, this isn't some Google v Apple thing. This is an Apple v Apple thing. It was their Maps software that came on on their devices. This defense of the things people are missing from Apple's Maps app is akin to people saying that they PenTile AMOLED on the SIII better than their non-PenTile Android phone simply because their SIII is newer.

post #34 of 246

"We appreciate all of the customer feedback"

Yeah, I'll bet they appreciate it...  ;-)  Unfortunately this is showing its not a big deal to Apple Mngmnt you just deal with it - its a great feature we'll make it better in the future...no sweat (as far as Apple Mgmnt is concerned).  JMHO...

They need to get in front of this issue better than this, particularly before the iPhone 5 rolls out over the next days or the most talked about feature of the phone in the media will be how much worse the Mapping feature is on it than before....

Edited by Sasparilla - 9/20/12 at 3:11pm
post #35 of 246

At least Apple has taken note. I appreciate that, though it was expected, sooner or later. 

Great. So now what? I wonder what Apple can or will do to actually "rectify" this in a meaningful way, and in what timeframe. It may take quite a while to fix a lot of these problems, in which case Apple's acknowledgement isn't of much use. Still nice to see they made a statement about it. 

post #36 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I'm surprised they didn't call it a beta like they did with Siri.

They needed to, big time and they needed to keep the Google based Map app available while users helped improve the Apple data based one.  This could really do some serious PR damage right at product launch for their iPhone 5 and they could do so much better with it.

post #37 of 246
There are lot of map apps on IOS to choose from - including those from Garmin.
post #38 of 246

Navigon

post #39 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At least Apple has taken note. I appreciate that, though it was expected, sooner or later. 

Great. So now what? I wonder what Apple can or will do to actually "rectify" this in a meaningful way, and in what timeframe. It may take quite a while to fix a lot of these problems, in which case Apple's acknowledgement isn't of much use. Still nice to see they made a statement about it. 

They could probably roll the old app back out at least for this year (since the license was supposedly through 2012) and keep the new one on the phone and designate it a Beta...that would be a huge step forward, but probably not going to happen until they see this starts to significantly affect sales of the 5 (not saying it will).

post #40 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

You have to stick with SW on this one. They try new stuff with SW all the time, and have reversed their stance on it more than once. Safari had tabs on top for a spell; although that was a beta release. iMovie was redone and then they had to release the old version because it didn't have a lot of features people wanted. I think there was something like that with FCPX, too.

They won't be able to do that with Maps. The best could do now is approve Google's App Store submission and add a Settings option to change which map (and mail and browser apps are default) but we both know that won't happen for at least a year.

Some interesting choices:

if Google supplies an app and Apple approves it, immediately -- won't that be counterproductive to getting people to use the new app, finding and fixing problems and incenting 3rd-party developers to augment the new app.

Possibly, Apple could turn this around by by offering incentives to using the new app and submitting corrections -- something like an iTunes Store credit for every submitted and accepted correction.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'