or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback' - Page 4

post #121 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

For someone like me who was considering an iphone for a future phone, it's a big enough deal for me not to get it.

I don't believe you. As a matter of fact, I think that you're full of crap.

Such bullshit.

It's nothing like the iPhone.

And Apple didn't invent slide to unlock OR auto correct.

GALAXY NEXUS FOR LIFE (with jelly bean!!)

post #122 of 246
Apple has lost its soul. It had no leader. It has spokespeople now for everything? Typical corporation.

Been Apple customer and fan since 1980.

iOS 6 is a mess. Partially refined and mistakenly refined.
Maps is a joke. Not even beta but alpha.
App Store: why break what was fine? Harder to find apps.

And hiring the guy from Dixons is an antithesis to Apple retail.

This is the way big corporations become without a strong leader.

Apple is losing its footing

Hopefully we will have some good competition soon and that will be Microsoft.
Edited by pfisher - 9/20/12 at 5:30pm
post #123 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
Such bullshit.

It's nothing like the iPhone.

And Apple didn't invent slide to unlock OR auto correct.

GALAXY NEXUS FOR LIFE (with jelly bean!!)

I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. 

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #124 of 246
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
Apple has lost its soul. It had no leader. It has spokespeople now for everything? Typical corporation.
Been Apple customer and fan since 1989.

YEAH, APPLE SURE NEVER HAD ANYONE BUT STEVE JOBS TALK TO THE PRESS OR MAKE STATEMENTS WHEN HE WAS ALIVE. HE WOULD HAVE NEVER STOOD FOR THIS.

What is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #125 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

This made me speechless

source from twitter:

http://t.co/KAQ7qcKz

LOL Love it!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #126 of 246
Quote:

I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. 

It's not my fault that your memory is apparently poor. That's your words from one of your own posts.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151011/apple-wins-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-nexus-smartphone/360

post #127 of 246
Quote:

It's not my fault that your memory is apparently poor. That's your words from one of your own posts.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151011/apple-wins-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-nexus-smartphone/360

Ha-ha! Good one. Anonymity can't disguise stupidity.

post #128 of 246
Quote:

And I'm sure you don't remember all 2,695 of your comments. 

As for my comment, that still stands. The injunction against the Galaxy Nexus was overturned last I checked.

post #129 of 246

As for my comment, that still stands. The injunction against the Galaxy Nexus was overturned last I checked.

Well, you've entirely missed his point. Whether it's intentional or otherwise will be left to others to figure out.

Your original statement, however, is total crap, based in nothing.

post #130 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Bottom line:

Apple released an app that doesn't work the way it's supposed to, but have marketed it to give the impression of the contrary, and on top of that, have taken away all means for the consumer to go back to what they had before.

I'm not sure in what galaxy the Apple I know would have found this acceptable.

And yes, I'll say it: Steve would never have let this thing see the light of day in its current state. This screw-up definitely calls for some terminations at Apple. 
Bye bye Scott Forstall. Maps are a disaster, Siri is still a joke. And Passbook is what exactly? Will most people even know how to use it?
post #131 of 246

If I can help Apple improve Maps by driving around, I'll sit behind the wheel day and night!... Seriously, though, this is getting blown out of proportion. 'Antennagate' anyone? 'iPad' sounds too much like a female hygiene product? 'Moto Q will do music, will do email, will do web, who needs a phone that does not have a keyboard?!'

Anytime Apple is just not absolutely, magnificently perfect, it's a reason to execute them. Grow up, complainers.

post #132 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Bye bye Scott Forstall. Maps are a disaster, Siri is still a joke. And Passbook is what exactly? Will most people even know how to use it?

I don't see the problem with Passbook. It's better than having a separate app for each loyalty card / gift card etc

It would be more useful w/ NFC payments but that could happen with the 5S, who knows?

post #133 of 246

You should really use the sarcasm tag.

post #134 of 246
Everyone knows there will be improvements from Apple but you don't replace a 10 years product with one which is only usable about 10%. You only replace it when you are CLOSER to your competitor.

Users are not just US of A only. It's the whole world.

Yes we can rant all we want but Apple won't bring back Google Maps for sure. Once they decide on it, they won't U-Turn back.

I am glad I have iPad and 3Gs to rely on for now.......for mapping services.

Bus transit is NON existent at the moment which is totally useless to me. Not everyone owns a car on this planet although Apple Maps is leaning towards to car drivers for now.
post #135 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You should really use the sarcasm tag.
I do when I'm actually being sarcastic. -1wink.gif
post #136 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macncheez View Post

Anytime Apple is just not absolutely, magnificently perfect, it's a reason to execute them. Grow up, complainers.

It's not about that though. 

It's about Apple being selfish and putting the company before their users over a cat fight / competition with Google. Which they usually do NOT do. 

There are others ways they could have gone about this. Such as releasing Apple's maps as an opt-in service so they can crowd source the data while at the same time have something stable, reliable, and full featured for the rest of the public to use.

Win-win.

post #137 of 246
Quote:

I don't see the problem with Passbook. It's better than having a separate app for each loyalty card / gift card etc

It would be more useful w/ NFC payments but that could happen with the 5S, who knows?
OK maybe Passbook will turn out to be something great but maps and Siri suck. And those were two of the biggest features Forstall pimped at WWDC and iPhone keynote.

I actually can't believe Cook allowed iOS 6 out the sorry with such a horrible map app. And for everyone pointing us to th App Store, well then Apple should have left the native map app off of iOS 6 until it as in better shape and directed people to the App Store. Or better yet don't try to become a mapping company and leave it to pros like Google.
post #138 of 246

"We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."

What is that Greek Letter that comes after Alpha again?

post #139 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The big rectangular thing with windows and I don't mean the Surface tablet makes frequent stops catch that and use your mouth to talk to the driver.

...like on FaceBook or something?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #140 of 246
Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post
So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.

Which one, the one where you used inappropriate language or the one where you insulted another member of the forum? Because they were both deleted.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I do when I'm actually being sarcastic.

Oh, okay, so you were just being irrational there.

post #141 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post

Everyone knows there will be improvements from Apple but you don't replace a 10 years product with one which is only usable about 10%. .

Only 10% usable? It would be interesting to find out where you got that number.

Not to mention, of course, that they're not replacing a 10 year old product. The iPhone is only 4 years old, so how are they replacing a 10 year old product? You can't compare Google Maps on a PC to the mobile version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I have to disagree here. The "don't worry, there are other solutions" seems like a massive cop-out, and a dangerous one. If that attitude persists, it could affect much more than a maps app. 

I don't see a cop out. You were using Google's maps before. You can download Google Maps soon and continue to use Google's maps. Apple is simply offering an alternative that is superior in some ways and not in others. If history is any guide, the capabilities will grow rapidly until it becomes the premier solution. How is that a dangerous attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I don't know why Apple decided to become a mapping company. Totally unnecessary, the Google Maps app was perfectly fine. These tedious little cat fights are what bring companies and countries crashing down by draining their talent and resources. 

Then talk to Google who declined to renew the contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I went for my morning walk today and due to the lack of street view, I can't find my house, now I am forever doomed to roam these nameless streets...

.../s

Well said. I can't understand the fixation on street view. If you can read a map, it's not really necessary.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #142 of 246

Granted, there may be a million (ok, 2 or 3...) ways of going about it. So they chose to go with a beta (alpha?), deal with it. Admittedly, I have not used the new Maps very much yet, but I believe I will be pleased. There are other options available, if you absolutely hate their solution. If you're not guiding cruise missiles through somebody's window, this app may be for you.

post #143 of 246
Quote:

I don't think that anybody has claimed that the Apple's map coverage is perfect, far from it, and Apple has a bit of work to do as it's lacking in some areas, but some of the reactions are just LOL. lol.gif

They'll never be accused of copying Google on this one.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #144 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:
  1. does it include ads?
  2. is it tracking you?
  3. can you opt out of ads or tracking?
  4. would you prefer a private mapping mode?
  5. is none of this a problem?

1 - Not that I see
2 - Don't know
3 - No adds, and don't know about the tracking
4 - Create a google account and use it just for maps
5 - No, not really
post #145 of 246
I expect a class action lawsuit- this is NOT why I bought my iPhone 4S.
post #146 of 246
So where do we leave "feedback"? Is there something in the app to mark a problem spot?
post #147 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

You funny.

post #148 of 246
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I'd love to see that. Haven't had a good lawsuit-based laugh since Samsung Touch-whizzed it down their legs. I'm sure whoever was in charge of denying lawsuits would laugh the lawyer that brings it up right out of the room, too.

post #149 of 246

I think most people's criticisms are overblown. If you use Street View or live outside the United States, then sure you might have some minor issues. Most people, however, aren't going to have issues. Apple is mostly using TomTom's information, and Tom Tom sells a lot of GPS devices and apps. For many people, the update is a welcomed change. For instance, turn by turn is nice and the visual appearance of the maps is better. Moreover, the app allows you to tell Apple when something is wrong. 

Finally, Apple has a history or taking away and then adding back better. When Apple went from OS 9 to OSX, many of the long standing features of OS 9 got stripped out. In addition, OS 10 had lots of issues. Several months later, Apple released a major update adding a lot of features back. The same thing with Final Cut Pro X. People complained loudly, and within months Apple released several major updates addressing most people's complaints. The only difference is that Apple is publicly coming out from the start saying as it gets information it will make changes. 

There is no way Apple is going to sit back on its flag ship product and not address these concerns very quickly. Apple, however, needs people actually to use the maps to make it better by using the built in system for telling Apple when something is wrong. I would be surprised if the changes don't start coming out this within a month. The maps are sitting in the cloud, so it should be easy for Apple to implement changes quickly. 

The product in some ways is better than Google's offerings now, but has the potential to being much greater in the future. People just have to 1) use the product, and 2) give feedback. Google has far more data then Apple does, but this will change. 

post #150 of 246

I can't tell you how many times Google Maps gave me direction to places that don't exist. However, with time it improved. With time Apple Maps will improve as well. It already a big improvement from what we had in the betas.

post #151 of 246
Quote:

Quote:

OK maybe Passbook will turn out to be something great but maps and Siri suck. And those were two of the biggest features Forstall pimped at WWDC and iPhone keynote.

I actually can't believe Cook allowed iOS 6 out the sorry with such a horrible map app. And for everyone pointing us to th App Store, well then Apple should have left the native map app off of iOS 6 until it as in better shape and directed people to the App Store. Or better yet don't try to become a mapping company and leave it to pros like Google.

As others have posted, what if the choice was:
1) IOS 6 maps app
2) No maps app at all

post #152 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

So where do we leave "feedback"? Is there something in the app to mark a problem spot?

When you drop a pin at the location and click the blue arrow you will see "Report a Problem" button.

post #153 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

After a 15 minute wait to tune in to the satellites.

Ah, the past looks good through rose tinted glasses.

Which was resolved in a firmware update.

Now who is wearing those glasses?
post #154 of 246
Quote:

The injunction was set aside on a temporary basis while the Appeals Court reviews it. 

post #155 of 246
everybody read this article and look at the screen shots::

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/apples-homegrown-maps-leaves-users-lost-20120921-26a9b.html

Scott Forstall can wi wipe that smug smirk off his face. if Jobs were alive he would have blasted him with a tirade of abuse and then sacked him.

fancy being responsible for this mess on the day of the new iphone launch and with samsung and google pushing their superior products.

Scott is a punk bonehead who should be held responsible for making a mockery of Jobs' hardwork.
post #156 of 246
As others have posted, what if the choice was:
1) IOS 6 maps app
2) No maps app at all

I'm surprised there's no outrage at Apple for not having servers with their own application of terabytes of home videos, illegal TV show and movie uploads, and music videos, called iTube. 

"These aren't MY home videos!" "Where's the video of a cat on a keyboard in space? Apple sucks!"

Or, even worse, if Apple DID have the videos they uploaded… 

post #157 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not to mention, of course, that they're not replacing a 10 year old product. The iPhone is only 4 years old, so how are they replacing a 10 year old product? You can't compare Google Maps on a PC to the mobile version.

5 years old, not 4
post #158 of 246
Quote:

I don't think it tracks you as an individual or a device.  Apple has publicly stated that they do not furnish anything but aggregate user data to anyone 

Apple does supply two Apps that trace a device/person:

1) Find My Phone:  You have to know the device ID, own the iPhone or iPad and enable it to be traced (on the device itself).  The tracking must be refreshed every 10 minutes, or so,

2) Find Friends:  You email friends and they can opt in to be tracked by you for a given period of time -- you get their locations on a map and notifications when they move.  You never see their device ID and they can stop being tracked at any time.

ells you right upp front they can 

Apple has its own advertising, iAD.  One of the contention points between Apple and Advertisers is that Apple will not supply them with granular information (like Google does) so they can track you as an individual.

Apple has the same contention with selling content (apps, Books, Music, Movies, TV, etc.).  Apple furnishes aggregate info -- the providers want granular info.

If I buy something from Apple, no one but Apple knows that I was the buyer and what I bought.

I have been dealing with Apple for 34 years -- and I have always found them to be fair and ethical... difficult, but fair and ethical.

OTH, Google has been shown doing and saying things that tell me they have no concern for my privacy.

Would your iDevice UDID identify you individually for most intents?  Apple tells you right up front in their privacy policy they can share the UDID with whoever they wish for any purpose whatsoever since it's considered non-identifiable, and combined with things like your occupation, general area you live in and where you travel. They don't divulge your name, address and phone number, but otherwise it sure looks like "you" as a consumer/buyer can be identified according to what users have agreed to in Apple's Privacy Policy.

"We also collect non-personal information − data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:

• We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising."

This doesn't in any way make Apple "evil", but it's also not much different from the same claims Google makes about sharing of non-personal information.

By the way, if anyone is interested in what Apple delivers for it's advertisers, it's described here.

http://advertising.apple.com/brands/

http://www.directtrafficmedia.co.uk/blog/apple-targets-core-demographics-through-mobile-adverts-67643611840

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #159 of 246

For a lot of people I would imagine this really isn't an issue. For instance, since iOS didn't have turn by turn, I used Navigon. If Apple Maps really causes me a lot stress, I  can still use my Navigon app. Meanwhile, Maps will improve as people provide Apple more data. 

post #160 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Been Apple customer and fan since 1980.
iOS 6 is a mess. Partially refined and mistakenly refined.
Maps is a joke. Not even beta but alpha.
App Store: why break what was fine? Harder to find apps.
And hiring the guy from Dixons is an antithesis to Apple retail.
This is the way big corporations become without a strong leader.
Apple is losing its footing
Hopefully we will have some good competition soon and that will be Microsoft.

If you're disappointed with Apple, I shudder to think what you'll experience with MS. They can't even get their barely-adequate platform off the ground. Their attempts in mobile are failing, Nokia is running out of time (rumour has it Nokia might go Android to save themselves), some major carriers have no plans to carry Windows Phone devices, and Win 8 is turning into a dud - whether it's Pro or RT or whatever they're calling it. 

Apple, even on their worst day, is still miles better than MS on their best. 

The only real problem with iOS 6 is Maps. That's about it. Other than that, it'll be at the fore of a blockbuster holiday quarter for Apple. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'