or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps - Page 5

post #161 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Oh, I see. You ask for proof and then once you receive said proof, you accuse the person giving the proof of just copying what they read elsewhere.

lol. you're a joke. you realize that, right?

 

 

Sorry, posting links to a few opinion pieces simply doesn't constitute proof. And, since you are unable to articulate an argument of your own, you clearly don't have an intelligible one.

 

We see this sort of thing all the time on AI: trolls, astroturfers, true believers, professional shills all come here spouting talking points, sometimes with "links to back them up" that don't support their arguments at all. Some don't care. Some don't realize. One, apparently hopes no one will read them since his linked to articles often contradict his claims. All these posts are just noise. Your posts are just noise.

 

Let's get this straight. Links to opinion pieces don't support an argument. Links to primary sources may. Objective analysis articles may or may not. Simply finding something on the Internet that says something similar to what you are saying isn't offering an argument nor does it prove anything. Even with primary sources, you still have to offer an argument about what they actually say and that it's the whole story.

 

Sorry, if you can't make your own argument, you don't deserve to be heard. If all you offer in "support" of "allegations" is links to other people expressing their unsupported opinions, you don't deserve to be heard. Not everyone has something to say worth listening to, and you are in the group that doesn't.

post #162 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

... I just like experimenting once in awhile with these lab mice - using basic psychology techniques, pointing out obvious failings of apple and seeing how these mice react when put in a situation where their blind loyalties conflicts against their logic, if they have any. ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post


I speak as a shareholder...

 

Your "shareholder" comments don't have any credibility, not after the rest of your comments, and particularly that quoted above.

 

But, just for fun, let's assume you are a shareholder, for the sake of discussion. So, as a shareholder, you think it's a good idea to come on a public forum and trash the company that you have all this money invested in, calling for executives heads when it's obvious that your comments will have no impact on the company itself? There are only 2 possible conclusions that could be drawn from such behavior.

 

1. You're lying, and you don't own even a single share of APPL.

 

2. You're insane.

 

I'm going to go with option 1. I think most others will too, although, a few may choose, all of the above.

post #163 of 175

I used maps today for some navigation.  While I initially liked the app, the accuracy was piss poor.  I used it to try and find a Wal-Mart.  Yeah, it lead me on a wild goose chase, telling me to turn where I merely had to bend to the right or left.  The Wal-Mart was not there.  Fortunately the second one was.  There were also a few turns that didn't exist in reality ("turn on X in 1.9 miles" and yet there was no turn despite it being shown on the map at the current location).  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #164 of 175
I've relied on google maps on ios for so long during my time here in Hong Kong, navigating around the city, looking up shops, finding addresses and now I feel like I've taken ten steps back in map technolgy. Will for sure have to find other apps to use whilst Apple needs to work furiously on their maps software. Googles data set is much much more refined. Building outlines were so helpful on the zoomed in views. I didn't realize how convenient and how much I relied on the maps app until I updated and had to use it to look for a place whilst I was out last night....I got so pissed with Apples app after it inaccurately gave me a street location and made me wander off a few blocks in the wrong direction

Hope Apple rectifies this very SOOOON! or give us Gmaps back!!!! FFS!!!
Edited by simtub - 9/23/12 at 12:02am
post #165 of 175
That's all well and good, but like you said yourself, all they have to do is add their own voice-recog software and Siri would be outmatched. This was never about Siri's voice recog abilities, but rather her ability to (1) answer questions correctly the first time (2) and understand Jeopardy-level nuances in the language, which Watson does AMAZINGLY well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

FYI, Watson doesn't have voice/speech recognition technology built in. In the Jeopardy! exhibition contest, someone was typing the clues to Watson, After all the clues were completely sent to Watson, then, via electronically controlled switch, any contestants will be able to press the button to answer but not before. It is actually a disadvantage for human competitors as many of Jeopardy! champions often times can figure out their answers before Alex Trebek even finishes reading the clues completely. It is more fair if Jeopardy let any contestant to buzz in at any time after the clue is displayed. Obviously, this will also creates a huge disadvantage for Watson since it also doesn't have any optical patterns/letters recognition ability.

 

SIRI, on the other hand, has the natural speech recognition  technology but with less robust database, less processing power and perhaps less advanced "natural language parser" relative to Watson's to back it up. All IBM has to do is to incorporate its voice recognition technology which it has been developing since the 1980's to Watson, then we can for be sure that SIRI will be left biting the dust.   

 

QUOTE:

 

Watson’s avatar, which viewers will see behind a standard Jeopardy! podium, is designer Joshua Davis’ artistic representation of the machine. It does not provide eyes or ears for Watson. Instead, Watson depends on text messaging, sent over TCP/IP, in order to receive the clue. At exactly the moment that the clue is revealed on the game board, a text is sent electronically to Watson’s POWER7 chips. So, Watson receives the clue text at the same time it hits Brad Rutter’s and Ken Jennings’ retinas."

 

END QUOTE. 

 

post #166 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, in other words, you are unable to back up your nonsensical claims? That's what i thought.

BTW, how useful is Watson outside a jeopardy tournament? Right, not so much.

As a matter of fact, IBM is collaborating with Memorial Sloan-Ketting Cancer Center on the development of a an outcome and evidence-based decision support system. The Watson-based service will assist the hospital group’s doctors with the hospital group’s doctors with the diagnosis of cancer and suggest treatment options by mining the most current and comprehensive information available.

"The need for such an advanced technology arises from the steadily increasing complexity of oncology treatment. Cancers are the second most common cause of death in the U.S., second only to heart disease, and the American Cancer Society projects that 1.6 million new cancer cases will be diagnosed in the U.S. this year* with outcomes varying widely across the country. Cancer is not one disease but some hundreds of sub-types, each with a different genetic fingerprint. Significant discoveries in molecular biology and genetics in the past two decades have delivered new insights into cancer biology and strategies for targeting specific molecular alterations in tumors, but these advances have also ratcheted up the complexity of diagnosing and treating each case. Oncologists and physicians who do not specialize in specific sub-types of cancer face a significant challenge in keeping up with the magnitude of rapidly changing information."

“The combination of transformational technologies found in Watson with our cancer analytics and decision-making process has the potential to revolutionize the accessibility of information for the treatment of cancer in communities across the country and around the world,” said MSKCC President and CEO Craig B. Thompson. “Consistent with our mission, the vision is to help better identify and personalize cancer therapies for each individual patient, no matter where that patient may be receiving care. We also expect tremendous new research opportunities to emerge from this collaboration.”

Memorial Sloan-Ketting Cancer Center is world's oldest and largest private cancer center.


1. No author provided. 22 March 2012. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, IBM to Collaborate in Applying Watson Technology to Help Oncologists. IBM Develop Works. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
post #167 of 175
I've had Apple swag going all the way back to the //c, so Apple and I go WAY back. The difference between you and me is that (1) I'm not blindly loyal to a platform and (2) I use the brain that I was given. Just because I point out Apple's deficiencies lately doesn't make me a troll or anything else illegitimate. You apologists are either biased by being shareholders or simply blinded by the Apple Religion. Fortunately, I know how to call a spade a spade.

Where exactly do I believe I was deficient in making my points? You see, that's how debate works. I give a point, and you give a counter point. Instead what has happened here is that I presented facts as I understood them and provided proof via authoritative links. And instead of you DISPROVING the information provided, you gave broad statements as to why you think I don't understand the argument. That's just smoke and mirrors and a waste of my time and everyone elses.

SO... either explain in detail why the information I provided was inaccurate or STFU and stop wasting everyone's time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Sorry, posting links to a few opinion pieces simply doesn't constitute proof. And, since you are unable to articulate an argument of your own, you clearly don't have an intelligible one.

 

We see this sort of thing all the time on AI: trolls, astroturfers, true believers, professional shills all come here spouting talking points, sometimes with "links to back them up" that don't support their arguments at all. Some don't care. Some don't realize. One, apparently hopes no one will read them since his linked to articles often contradict his claims. All these posts are just noise. Your posts are just noise.

 

Let's get this straight. Links to opinion pieces don't support an argument. Links to primary sources may. Objective analysis articles may or may not. Simply finding something on the Internet that says something similar to what you are saying isn't offering an argument nor does it prove anything. Even with primary sources, you still have to offer an argument about what they actually say and that it's the whole story.

 

Sorry, if you can't make your own argument, you don't deserve to be heard. If all you offer in "support" of "allegations" is links to other people expressing their unsupported opinions, you don't deserve to be heard. Not everyone has something to say worth listening to, and you are in the group that doesn't.

post #168 of 175

I guess this time Apple will let several options open for you. If you are not willing to wait  more than just a couple of days, you can revert back your Igadget to IOS 5.x, buy a GPS device or buy an Android device. But, if you're willing to wait about one month, you can make a deal with the "devil", i.e. to buy the new WP8 phone Nokia Lumia 920 with its superb worldwide map and navigation system [even without any cellular data connection], IMO besting even Google's effort in some features, plus you get added "benefits" such as a better camera, a better OS integration and consistency- not to mention the ability to finally break free from the already 30 year old icon centric UI still touted by everybody else under the sun even when it feels already dated.

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I've relied on google maps on ios for so long during my time here in Hong Kong, navigating around the city, looking up shops, finding addresses and now I feel like I've taken ten steps back in map technolgy. Will for sure have to find other apps to use whilst Apple world furiously on their maps software. Googles data set is simply much much more refined. Building outlines were so helpful on the zoomed in views. I didn't realize how convenient and how much I relied on the maps app until I updated and had to use it to look for a place whilst I was out last night....I got so pissed with Apples app after it in accurately gave me a street location.
Hope Apple rectifies this very soon

Edited by mcrs - 9/23/12 at 1:02am
post #169 of 175
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post
…not to mention the ability to finally break free from the already 30 year old icon centric UI still touted by everybody else under the sun even when it feels already dated.

 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #170 of 175

Aren't you tired looking at those icons Tallest? I've been  with Windows 3.1 using the icons claimed to be copied out of Mac's "look and feel". I had extensively  used OS/2 in the 1990's,  a vastly better OS than both Windows and Mac OS combined as it already had a built in Preemptive multitasking more than a decade before Windows iterations and Mac iterations [OSX is when it is fully preemptive]. It rarely crashes in comparison to Windows 3.1 or even Mac OS. Albeit, due to a half-hearted attempt by IBM top banana at the time [Lou Gertsner] to support this OS and Microsoft total abandonment of it, I could only practically use it for less than two years as I elected not to upgrade to OS/2 Merlin as there were almost no major apps to speak of aside from running Windows Apps through the Windows emulation engine it has. Oh, I forget to mention another wonderful OS, AmigaOS. They are all good in their own way, but they are all "icon"-ic. Apple was "inspired" by this icon oriented user interface in early 80's, and Microsoft "followed" Apple lead a couple of years later. We've been living trapped inside this iconic cocoon for about 30 years now. It's dated and shows its age. In some OS'es, notably IOS, take a look at those icon defined by its rigid grid-like existence, it all looks so awfully old, repetitive and tiresome. 

 

A lot of kudos go to Microsoft that behaves like it has nothing to lose by ditching this iconic existence with WP 7.x and WP8. Microsoft actually doesn't have anything to lose in going to a completely different direction in the smartphone world as it has almost negligible market share there. It needs that "nothing-to-lose" attitude perhaps to bring forward a fresh and revolutionary approach. These live tiles are something else and it is a new concept, a paradigm shift, which challenges the deeply ingrained iconic stronghold in the computer world.  This icon is the Goliath of he computer world, and the live tile is like David. In the miniaturized version of OS'es for use with hand held devices and smart phones, Live Tiles fit perfectly with its built-in ability to update itself with pertinent information in a very unobtrusive way, and they are very alive. 

 

Now, if we are talking about Windows 8, we are talking about something entirely different. There will be less need to miniaturized or "versatilized" things we have on the desktop, but it is a welcome features/options. It is perhaps the matter of getting used to something new. It is hard to unlearn something that has been ingrained for many many years. I have personally installed an RTM of Windows 8 on my two year old 2GB Netbook. It runs as swiftly or better than Windows 7. The fact that it requires extra steps when accomplishing many tasks relative to previous versions of Windows is quite frustrating at times. Windows 8 is actually two windowed world exist in one OS. Many of current apps will revert you back to the desktop with its, tada..., old iconic world.

 

I start to think differently after using this W8 for a couple of months [Release Preview and RTM]. Windows 8 is just an intro to the next dimension of Windows. So, I start visualizing the old windows desktop as a point [or a live tile] in Windows 8 user interface. So, since W8 is one dimension higher than Windows desktop, it can freely go in and out of it at any time. So, you have that added flexibility. Watching Rob Bryanton's short video about "imagining the ninth dimension" about the higher dimension concept can help illustrate my point. The point is whether having this option really adds to Windows' functionality on a much bigger screen. I think the only reason why this lower dimension exist is due to the heavy baggage that W8 has to carry, namely legacy Windows applications. Once majority of these older applications have their w8 counterparts, Windows users will have no need to go to that lower dimension that often. At some point in time, W9 perhaps, Windows users may lament the old desktop as just a relic of the past which they may visit from time to time to run their beloved legacy apps which for one reason or another are not being updated to their newer iterations. Then and only then, the "iconic" Windows will be a thing of the past. I personally prefer the transition from the icon centric user interface to go faster, but the millions of "iconic" computerized devices will make this time of transition be very tedious and long. The very elementary human psyche's resistance to change is also another factor which may make this transition even harder. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 


Edited by mcrs - 9/23/12 at 6:10am
post #171 of 175

 

Just had to share this one.

post #172 of 175
"Does Apple have a Chief Cartographer?
Does Apple have a Cartographic Advisory Board?
Who is helping them address the myriad problems they will experience with data quality and data integration?"

http://www.gpsbites.com/mike-dobson-telemapics-interview
Interview with Michael Dobson of TeleMapics – The Challenges Facing Apple, TomTom, and Garmin
July 31, 2012

Michael Dobson of TeleMapics also nailed Apple current problem back on June 13th in his blog post "Apple and Mapping?"
http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=386

Oh yes, and don't miss his latest post on the subject, "Google Maps announces a 400 year advantage over Apple Maps" The title is just tongue and cheek (y)- http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399
Edited by tink - 9/23/12 at 1:56pm

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply
post #173 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Also getting sick of people saying they miss Google maps. It's not missing, it's still there, it's just not 1 lazy button press away.
Open Safari and go to maps.google.com and away you go. From there you can save the bookmark as a main page icon and you have Google maps back again.

I like to have the option instead of being stuck with just Google maps. Remember, competition is good.
Also remember that Google only released their 3D maps because Apple announced theirs and so far, Apple 3D maps are better than Google's.

Actually it is still one lazy click away, go to google.com/maps and make it a web app, works well, directions, satellite etc, everything but streetview.
post #174 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

"Does Apple have a Chief Cartographer?
Does Apple have a Cartographic Advisory Board?
Who is helping them address the myriad problems they will experience with data quality and data integration?"
http://www.gpsbites.com/mike-dobson-telemapics-interview
Interview with Michael Dobson of TeleMapics – The Challenges Facing Apple, TomTom, and Garmin
July 31, 2012
Michael Dobson of TeleMapics also nailed Apple current problem back on June 13th in his blog post "Apple and Mapping?"
http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=386
Oh yes, and don't miss his latest post on the subject, "Google Maps announces a 400 year advantage over Apple Maps" The title is just tongue and cheek (y)- http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399

Mike Dobson makes numerous allegations and assertions without providing very much evidence for his opinion. Furthermore, in most instances he identifies potential issues Apple may have but doesn't explain why he believes Apple is experiencing those issues other than a few nebulous comments.
post #175 of 175
Right now I can't decide between the Nokia Lumia 920 and the Samsung ATIV S. They both have their merits. The 920 has PureView (the best still photography and video in the industry) and the ATIV S has a bigger screen and expandability. Having choice is nice, wouldn't you say?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

I guess this time Apple will let several options open for you. If you are not willing to wait  more than just a couple of days, you can revert back your Igadget to IOS 5.x, buy a GPS device or buy an Android device. But, if you're willing to wait about one month, you can make a deal with the "devil", i.e. to buy the new WP8 phone Nokia Lumia 920 with its superb worldwide map and navigation system [even without any cellular data connection], IMO besting even Google's effort in some features, plus you get added "benefits" such as a better camera, a better OS integration and consistency- not to mention the ability to finally break free from the already 30 year old icon centric UI still touted by everybody else under the sun even when it feels already dated.

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I've relied on google maps on ios for so long during my time here in Hong Kong, navigating around the city, looking up shops, finding addresses and now I feel like I've taken ten steps back in map technolgy. Will for sure have to find other apps to use whilst Apple world furiously on their maps software. Googles data set is simply much much more refined. Building outlines were so helpful on the zoomed in views. I didn't realize how convenient and how much I relied on the maps app until I updated and had to use it to look for a place whilst I was out last night....I got so pissed with Apples app after it in accurately gave me a street location.
Hope Apple rectifies this very soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps