or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u] - Page 5

post #161 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Samsung wants to add, Scuffgate their innovative design.

Apple can keep that design. I guess using cheap plastic isn't that bad of an idea after all.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #162 of 265
Most people abuse their phones anyway. I am surprised that anyone would be shocked to learn that metal on metal will cause scratches. But then, people were surprised that glass breaks when you drop it. Those dolts had the nerve to try and sue, and thankfully a judge threw out that lawsuit because it is common sense that glass breaks when mishandled. Aluminum is capable of being scratched and dented. Buy a case, which most people do anyway, and don't drop it.

The video was hilarious, and the 2-year old engineering expert was awesome.
post #163 of 265
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Apple can keep that design. I guess using cheap plastic isn't that bad of an idea after all.

Because plastic never scuffs.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #164 of 265

I was at about 8 stores today looking for a white 64B iPhone 5.  Finally found one, went through the upgrade process and when I looked at the phone it had a small mark on the top (almost directly centered) and a few on the left side near the volume buttons.  This type of thing happens in manufacturing, what I'm really surprised with is that it got out of the factory.  New production usually has a large amount of inspection.  Heads will roll over this at the manufacturing facility.  They will get it fixed, just wondering how many will turn up.

post #165 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not as easily. Don't recall these complaints for the 3G/S, which were made out of what? Yes cheap plastic. How soon you've forgotten.
post #166 of 265

Had a look at a few of them at the local Apple church.

Despite being handled by hundreds of people, they all looked great. Ridiculously light and very nice to hold. Played around with it for a few minutes and realised that Ive was right: the longer screen works nicely with one thumb. I can imagine it will scratch if you put a key to it, so perhaps it's best not to put a key to it. The new connector is tiny but solid. Fits in with a nice snap so you know it's connected properly. Screen is nice and bright.

One criticism: the slate model needs black earpods.

post #167 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

When you pay your own money for something, you want it to be perfect when you receive it, after all, you gave perfectly good money for it. When you scratch it yourself later, you shrug it off as your own fault. I don't really think it has anything to do, for most people, with how your friends will perceive it.

It's the same as picking produce in the super market. You aren't going to pick the tomatoes that are squashed, bruised, holed. If the cashier crushes them under the canned goods, you probably aren't going to accept that. If you put the can goods on top of them in the car, you'll be pissed at yourself, but most people aren't going to take them back to the store and demand new ones at that point. When you turn them into tomato sauce and serve them to your friends, they aren't going to know the difference.

I like your theory better /smile
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #168 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sermon View Post

I found this bit of news on a german Apple fan page. I don't know how reliable that website is and cannot confirm if this news tidbit is actually true, nor can I confirm its validity, but I thought I'd share it here nonetheless - this is a rough translation from german into english:
"When calling the Apple hotline I was told that the iPhone 5 devices with scuffs and scratches come from one specific batch and will be replaced by Apple. The problem is known to the company and apparently stems from a defective production machine. The affected devices can be identified based on their serial numbers, and only these faulty devices are eligible for return and exchange. As an alternative, a discount from the Apple hotline is offered. If you can live with the scratch or damage, this is a great way to save some money."
Link to source (in german):
http://www.appdated.de/2012/09/iphone-5-scuffgate-kunden-berichten-uber-kratzer-nur-eine-charge-betroffen/
Good to know, when I heard that people were seeing this right out of the box I figured it had to be a manufacturing issue, seems like it should be easily enough to fix (and maybe has already been fixed).
post #169 of 265
iFixit can go f*ck themselves. Yeah the first thing I'm going to do with my iPhone is give it to a toddler with a pair of keys. And then be shocked when the phone has scratches on it. Idiots.
post #170 of 265
Not as easily.

Abject nonsense! Don't tell me plastic doesn't scuff easily!

post #171 of 265

The iPhone 3G and 3GS were made of plastic and scratched quite easily, and no one complained about that.  Where was the "plasticgate" then?  Same with most other smartphones made of plastic.  If I drag my key against the body of my car, the paint will scratch.  Whose fault is that, duh, mine.  The Moto Razr flip phone was painted aluminum and it scratched quite easily...no one complained in those days.  Apple has the target because they are one of the few companies making money in a recession.  Also, many are "drama-queens" when it comes to this crap.  The iPhone has the cool looking aluminum band, but no one ever sees it because it is hidden by a case.

post #172 of 265
Look, I don't think that it is wrong that people want a perfect product, but let's look at the number of nits that shipped, apply acceptable manufacturing/QA tolerances and then figure out how rampant this issue is. Are we seeing a thousand units with nicks? 10,000? 50,000? What is the percentage.

In my mind, Apple can't win here. They sell out their first shipment and people complain about not getting delivery for two weeks after release, but then again, when a few people see scratches on the first production run where Apple is trying to maximize their shipments, the company is doomed.

Come back to me when Apple refuses to replace units with small imperfections. It's almost impossible to produce the number of perfect manufactured pieces of hardware but the key to Aplle is customer satisfaction and their policy of replacing these phones with small imperceptions with minimal hassles is why they are on top. Until Aplle refuses to replace your precious damaged equipment quit complaining and hand over your phone to someone who is in line waiting for his phone and is willing to put with minuscule imperfections.
post #173 of 265
Quote:

Not as easily. Don't recall these complaints for the 3G/S, which were made out of what? Yes cheap plastic. How soon you've forgotten.

Metal on plastic will scratch just as easily as metal on metal.

post #174 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

You're all missing the point that this is the first time it has happened with iPhones.  Apple has set the expectation that our iPhones will be perfect out of the box (aesthetically), and these iPhone 5's are falling short.  My iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks were flawless when I took them out of the box.  That's the whole point of buying them new.  If you want one scratched up, save some money and buy it on eBay.

To the person who mentioned that even BMW's aren't perfect - if one of the wheels on your brand new $70,000+ BMW came with a scratch in it, you would have the dealer replace it.  No doubt about it.

Tell me, did you unwrap the BMW yourself and meticulously examine the car before your dealer handed you the keys? Every car dealer employs a staff that inspects and buffs out any imperfections prior to any customer seeing the car.

Besides, almost every car that I have bought came along with a little bottle of touch up paint ... In case I came across any imperfections.
post #175 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iFixit can go f*ck themselves. Yeah the first thing I'm going to do with my iPhone is give it to a toddler with a pair of keys. And then be shocked when the phone has scratches on it. Idiots.

This comes from the guy without kids, or a girlfriend, or a wife.  It is an example.  If MJ had done it, you would have complained that an adult is strong, and can cause damage quite easily.  The example was showing how easily aluminum can be scratched.  It was comedy using her 2 year old.  Your girlfriend or wife will throw her phone into her purse, which also includes car keys.  When they come in contact, the keys will scratch aluminum.  Games and video on an iPhone can calm an upset child, so parents do give their iPhone to their child to play games or watch video.  Granted, they don't have a set of keys in their other hand.  Thankfully, I don't have kids, and I know how to take care of my things, so my Apple products don't get scratched or damaged.

post #176 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hofstetter View Post

Happy to hear I'm not the only one.  I have the smallest little "nick" from what looks like the last touch of the diamond tipped drill on one of the beveled edges.

I have already sent Tim Cook an email regarding it. 

It has been my experience, that any comment sent directly to Tim is sent to his group and someone has always contacted me within 24-48 hours.

Eric H.

Yo, Tim is dropping a replacement phone off at my place around 5:30... Give me your addy and I'll have him swing by your crib after. :/

post #177 of 265
Quote:

Abject nonsense! Don't tell me plastic doesn't scuff easily!

Not as easily isn't the same as not easily. I don't recall anyone ever complaining their brand new plastic using device with scratches from the manufacturer. Now has it happened? Most likely yes. It's great that thousands of people wait in line for days and that millions preorder but the flip side to that is you'll get a chorus of complaints when the device is less than perfect. Quality control is going to suffer whenever a large amount of devices need to be made in a short period of time.
post #178 of 265
I would agree they shouldn't come with defects out of the box but it's probably better those people get an iPhone 5 with minor cosmetic damage than not at all. If there are people who can't stand the damage they can get a replacement.

The scratch test results were fairly obvious but there's always a compromise. The metal is shatter-proof and the glass is scratch resistant. In a mobile device, I prefer durability against shattering:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-iphone-5-drop-test-20120921,0,480497.story

If you go on a picnic, you take metal cutlery and plastic plates/cups not ceramic plates and glass cups. The glass is needed for the touch screen but it's good to keep it to a minimum.

You can make an iPhone 5 scratch-resistant by applying one of those clear coatings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7ZOKAsNRTn8#t=44s

You can't make an iPhone 4 shatter-proof doing the same.
post #179 of 265
Same problem here with a 64 gig AT
post #180 of 265
1, 2 64gb black iphone5s with tiny silver nick on the top bevelled edge. When I saw the first, I cursed myself for somehow scratching it, after seeing the second I figured it came that way. Now I feel better.
post #181 of 265
I've had an iPhone 3GS "scuff free" for a few years now. Is this because it's MIGHTY and the new iPhone is weak? Or… is it because...

- It has ALWAYS lived in a hard-shell case
- I NEVER put it in a pocket with KEYS and COINS for it to rub up against.
- I don't drop it unprotected onto gravel driveways…

And so on?

I'm really not sure. Maybe in a side by side scratch/drop/abuse and otherwise pocket-mangle test, the new iPhone will lose the battle. Or maybe not. One thing I can guarantee though. They will ALL fail the "I'm still pristine after a week of abuse" test….

Guaranteed.

If a phone arrives pre-damaged, Apple WILL replace it. Wow, that was easy, huh? 1wink.gif
post #182 of 265
Totally unacceptable. Anybody who defends this has no character.

On the other hand, it's a helluva lot better than being caught using child labor

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/04/samsung-child-labor-fishy-audit/
post #183 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Had a look at a few of them at the local Apple church.

Despite being handled by hundreds of people, they all looked great. Ridiculously light and very nice to hold. Played around with it for a few minutes and realised that Ive was right: the longer screen works nicely with one thumb. I can imagine it will scratch if you put a key to it, so perhaps it's best not to put a key to it. The new connector is tiny but solid. Fits in with a nice snap so you know it's connected properly. Screen is nice and bright.

One criticism: the slate model needs black earpods.
Same here.

I know it's an illusion, but the lightness made it feel a little fragile.

The new connector is fantastic. But the way they displayed thhe phone in the store, I was very concerned for how easy it might be to snap off the connector in a situation where the pone was not properly supported.

And finally, while the tallness doesn't affect thumb operation, I just don't like it. The old shorter form factor was the perfect size for me. Don't know why Apple felt the need to toy with this other than to compete with Android phones. I really hope they continue to offer the shorter form factor after they discontinue the iPhone 4S in two years.
post #184 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

This comes from the guy without kids, or a girlfriend, or a wife.  It is an example.  If MJ had done it, you would have complained that an adult is strong, and can cause damage quite easily.  The example was showing how easily aluminum can be scratched.  It was comedy using her 2 year old.  Your girlfriend or wife will throw her phone into her purse, which also includes car keys.  When they come in contact, the keys will scratch aluminum.  Games and video on an iPhone can calm an upset child, so parents do give their iPhone to their child to play games or watch video.  Granted, they don't have a set of keys in their other hand.  Thankfully, I don't have kids, and I know how to take care of my things, so my Apple products don't get scratched or damaged.

Just to play devil's advocate ... the iFixit scratch test was a pretty badly thought out test IMO.  

Certainly it's realistic that a kid will do that if they got a hold of your keys and your phone, but you'd have to be an idiot to let your kid get a hold of your keys and your phone.  A kid that small can't reach up onto the counter top where you would normally put them so you'd have to sit the kid on the kitchen counter (ewwww!), or leave your keys and phone together on the coffee table and leave the room.  Also, she had some serious gigantic steel tools on her key ring.  Most people have a plastic fob and brass or aluminium keys and it would be much harder to scratch the thing with those.  Most folks (male or female) don't have pliers or any kind of gigantic steel things on their keyring (steel would obviously scratch like crazy).  

So the whole thing was both unrealistic in format and kind of exaggerated to me.  It's also just kind of sloppy to use something containing a half dozen different materials to scratch the phone and then go "see! scratches!!!" A more controlled test would be more sensible and would tell you a lot more. 

I was also struck by the irony of the iFixit people being upset about how easy it was to scratch, when they are the same people arguing that every device should be repairable and that we should all carry them around for many years repairing them as we go.  If we really take their preferred use case to heart, we would *all* be walking around with scratched and scuffed devices with a very worn in look to them.  The two positions are kind of philosophically opposed to each other. 

Finally, it's also interesting that the most popular picture you see accompanying "scratch gate" articles is that one by the idiot that took the sim ejector tool to the back of his phone.  That thing is waaay harder than aluminium and probably harder than steel as well, of course it's going to destroy the back.  Most of the time however, the scratching is not going to be a big deal as long as you aren't a total idiot and purposely mess up the back of your phone.  

post #185 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That video with young Uma Thurman proves what? That colored metal can be scratched? Somebody call science books and tell them they're still right.

She has an annoying voice but she's actually quite pretty and thus nothing at all like Uma Thurman who looks like a man in drag. 

post #186 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Good to know it isn't just me. Nothing major, just a small scuff at the bottom edge of the left side frame, and a couple of tiny marks (might be adhesive residue) where the metal back meets the glass at the top.
Not a deal breaker, but I am so spoiled by the quality control on all my previous iPhones (I've owned them all) that these small flaws stood out. When a device is sold at a premium and marketed as almost a piece of fine jewelry, I don't think it's too much to ask that the fit and finish be flawless. I think things are slipping a bit from the days of Steve.

I think you've picked up on something that no one is really thinking about, in that it depends on what you paid for the phone and how you got it.  

Most are paying $200 or less for an otherwise expensive item and complaining when it isn't perfect which seems a bit beyond the pale to me.  However if you are buying unlocked and 64GB then you are talking about close to a thousand dollars after taxes etc. (!)  If the phone has scratches and scuffs and paint errors etc. for a thousand dollars it's a bit much and the ire is certainly entirely justified.  

The same goes for Apple's policy of replacing the units with refurbished models.  If you just got a $200 contract phone, so what?  It was probably refurbished to begin with.  If on the other hand you paid a thousand dollars for it, for Apple to replace it with some refurbished junk is criminal in that it's basically (technically) fraud.  

post #187 of 265

Second iPhone 5 64GB today and it has what I would term a "ding" on the chamfer edge on the back side opposite the camera.  It also has some discolouration on the white edge 1/2 way down the left side when looking at the screen.  Bought this at wireless wave and they told me they can't return it.  I went to apple, they are swamped.  The Business Manager I talked to seemed to know about the issue.  Told me to go online and make a genius appointment.  Didn't seem to be an issue about getting it replaced when they have stock.

post #188 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Are you kidding me? You would put your two year old on the Internet to hype your fixit company. Most people would not even let their kids have a Facebook account until they are 16 but you put your kid on display at age two? Give me a freakin' break! Are you insane? This is the Internet the we are talking about. There are crazy people on the Internet.

LOOOL, have you ever heard of a helicopter parent? Look in the mirror. And then people are surprised why are all the kids in USA fat. The parent's watch the news, in one village somewhere in mid-west somebody shoots/kills/rapes a kid, next day it's all over the news and all helicopter OCD parents lock their kids home for the rest of their life and all they do there is watching TV and eating junkfood. Get a life a bit. I am getting sick of all my facebook friends posting hundreds of pictures of their kids all over the FB, usually half naked on the beach (making them publicly available) and you are hyping about one video where you can barely see kid's face? LOOOL

Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #189 of 265

I don't want to give good ideas for Samsung... but I could imagine another version of their ad, showing two long lines in front of an Apple Store and explaining that one is for the so called fanboys, the other is for those clever ones who ordered the phone on-line and now have to wait in line to return and exchange it to scuff-free one.

People who say they would expect a product out of the box with no scuffs, should go to any jeans store and try to find clothes without those trendy scratches. These days mostly you can find washed and "well-worn" models.
If Apple reports record sales, other phone companies will try to copy those nicks from the iPhone 5. :)
But hopefully that time we could see Apple introducing the iPhone 6 with liquid-metal back.

post #190 of 265

Mine came with a tiny nick in the chamfer, and I don't really care.

This will be a major ongoing publicized complaint with the iPhone 5—not so much the production flaws, but how fragile the soft aluminum casing is and how terribly it wears over time compared to the 4/4s.

This could have been, and will be (in the next refresh), solved with LiquidMetal.

post #191 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

People who say they would expect a product out of the box with no scuffs, should go to any jeans store and try to find clothes without those trendy scratches. These days mostly you can find washed and "well-worn" models.
If Apple reports record sales, other phone companies will try to copy those nicks from the iPhone 5. :)
But hopefully that time we could see Apple introducing the iPhone 6 with liquid-metal back.

With that logic, you expect people to buy a new iphone and upon opening the box, they should be happy finding a scratched, up worn out, refurb.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

post #192 of 265

So, Apple didn't want to learn HTC One S experience with anodised aluminium?

It had to be made of steel, not aluminium, but then, I guess, iPhone would last longer and production would cost more with the same end price, and so it would give Apple less profit, and Apple is not ready to keep it's hand not that deep in customer's pocket.

post #193 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I've had an iPhone 3GS "scuff free" for a few years now. Is this because it's MIGHTY and the new iPhone is weak? Or… is it because...
- It has ALWAYS lived in a hard-shell case
- I NEVER put it in a pocket with KEYS and COINS for it to rub up against.
- I don't drop it unprotected onto gravel driveways…
And so on?
I'm really not sure. Maybe in a side by side scratch/drop/abuse and otherwise pocket-mangle test, the new iPhone will lose the battle. Or maybe not. One thing I can guarantee though. They will ALL fail the "I'm still pristine after a week of abuse" test….
Guaranteed.
If a phone arrives pre-damaged, Apple WILL replace it. Wow, that was easy, huh? 1wink.gif

One guy was offered 3 replacements and all were damaged, was then told 3 was the limit in store. If that happens enough it'll severely limit a store's supply of iPhones, because who's gonna buy a open box iPhone unless it's discounted.
post #194 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

I don't want to give good ideas for Samsung... but I could imagine another version of their ad, showing two long lines in front of an Apple Store and explaining that one is for the so called fanboys, the other is for those clever ones who ordered the phone on-line and now have to wait in line to return and exchange it to scuff-free one.

If Apple reports record sales, other phone companies will try to copy those nicks from the iPhone 5. 1smile.gif

There are plenty of jeans scratch free, and furthermore that's the in look right now. Scratched up phones aren't.
post #195 of 265
I think the issue is wide spread. I was in the first 50 iPhone 5 purchases at my local Apple store on launch day, got my white 64g iPhone home, synced with iTunes but didn't take the protective films off until later that evening. When I did there were 2 visible scuff marks on the back. Spoke to Apple this morning and they advised me to head back to the store for an exchange as they'd had a few customers back in already.

Went in this evening and spent nearly an hour trying to find one without a blemish. We went through 16 white iPhones and 6 black (half way through I was convinced it was an issue with the white iPhones so gave the blacks a try) eventually got a white blemish free iPhone. The business team member was so embarrassed, especially knowing that I'd driven over an hour to the store and suggested he speak to the manager about compensation for the drive back. I then got caught in an argument with the manager who was clearly unhappy about having to open so many phones. He said no other store would have provided this sort of service and there was nothing he could do. I pointed out the it wasn't my fault that so many iPhone were blemished and that I would expect any store to replace a damaged or blemished product, especially when I spent £699 on it. This is the first time I've had poor customer service from an Apple!

The blemishes on the iPhones ranged from light scuff marks to nicks on the polished edge. One nick was quite substantial, more like a chip. It was on the front edge near the top. The Apple employee didn't even lift the iPhone out of the box it was so noticeable.

Not sure who's quality controlling these at Foxconn!

I'd love to email Tim about my experience, those of you who have had responses in the past what email address are you using? Never had a reply to my emails.
post #196 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

With that logic, you expect people to buy a new iphone and upon opening the box, they should be happy finding a scratched, up worn out, refurb.

No, I don't expect it. As I don't understand why the hell the stores sell almost only well-worn jeans. But you know, the iPhone buyer-community is greater than the earlier Apple-community. I can see many people buying iPhone because it's trendy and not because of the exceptional ecosystem and quality. So for them, if Jobs were alive and told us:

"you're looking at it wrong, this is actually cool having those unique spots on the back of your phone. You can live with that, believe me."
...many would think it's cool, indeed.

post #197 of 265

I too laughed when I read that. (Did they mean 16 micrometers or 1.6 millimeters? Who knows?)

Glad you had the energy to point it out for those who missed it. It gave me a second good laugh.

I definitely like to check out what CU has to say before I buy cars, household appliances, etc. But it's best to ignore their "advice" about more complex and personal items. They don't really understand things like cameras, computers, smartphones, stereo equipment, etc.(anything personal that benefits from a bit of subjective evaluation, including evaluations of usability, elegance of function, or anything that has an esthetic impact in use, expression, or creation.)

It seems I read somewhere that Ralph Nader has worn the same 20 pairs of cheap, black, nylon socks for most of his life (same set of cheap suits too.) Frugal?—yes. Functional,, stylish, comfortable, and hygienic?—Not so much. Rather extreme and socially awkward?—Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As usual, Consumer Reports is staffed by idiots.
First, a 16 nm scratch would be absolutely invisible with anything other than a STEM (16 nm is a few hundred atoms thickness).
post #198 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I think it's important to keep some perspective here.... assuming an initial batch of around 2,000,000 phones produced even if 10,000 exhibit this problem that is still only 0.5%.... when dealing with production on this scale there are bound to be some teething issues that fall through the cracks. How many S3s get shipped with faults and returned but without all the media hoopla?

Except that just making up numbers doesn't provide any perspective at all.  Nor does the defect rate on S3s have any bearing on iPhones.  People have higher expectations from Apple because Apple generally delivers.

post #199 of 265
Quote:

Just like Apple never makes mistakes.

post #200 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyIKeen View Post

Except that just making up numbers doesn't provide any perspective at all.  Nor does the defect rate on S3s have any bearing on iPhones.  People have higher expectations from Apple because Apple generally delivers.

Plus - they are actually promoting how well it's made:

iPhone 5 is made with a level of precision you’d expect from a finely crafted watch — not a smartphone.
Never before has this degree of fit and finish been applied to a phone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]