or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › YouTube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely

YouTube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely

post #1 of 25
Google's YouTube announced on Friday that it will continue to feed content to its legacy iOS app for iDevices running iOS 5 and below, allaying fears that the service would be shut off to push users toward the new standalone app.

YouTube
Source: YouTube

A YouTube spokesperson told CNET the old iOS app will continue to function indefinitely on older devices not yet upgraded to iOS 6, however iPhone 5 owners will need to download the standalone version as YouTube is no longer bundled with the new OS.

While both Apple and Google refuse to discuss the details of its YouTube partnership, it is likely that ongoing support was part of the original arrangement.

Some speculated that YouTube would drop support for the old iOS app due to Apple's mandated ad-free environment for first-party software, which limited the amount of available content as the video sharing company has recently been pushing for ad-supported videos as a means to generate additional revenue. For this reason, the new standalone YouTube app offers a wider variety of shows and the ability to subscribe to ad-supported "channels."

With sales of the new iPhone 5 expected to break records and a reportedly strong iOS 6 adoption rate, YouTube's app will likely see a flood of downloads from veteran iOS users who have become familiar with having access to the video sharing site via a dedicated app.

The ad-friendly YouTube app has been the number one most downloaded free app in the iOS App Store since its debut in September.
post #2 of 25

Good. No ads for me, then.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 25

Youtube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely?

Maybe so, but one thing has been made clear:

...and never the twain shall be involved in an unboxing together again.

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #4 of 25
So how about the legacy Maps app that relies on Google Maps? Will they keep data alive for that as well?
post #5 of 25
The Google YouTube app is better anyway. A little different, but better.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 25

Eventually it won't matter which YouTube app you use, since they've stopped automatically transcoding videos to standard H.264 in favor of their proprietary WebM.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #7 of 25

The interesting thing is that if you capture a video on an iPhone, share to YouTube is still one of the only options available.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #8 of 25
Article fails to point out that there is no youtube app for iPad available yet - only the iPhone version!

I'm not upgrading my iPad to iOS6 yet for this exact reason.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Eventually it won't matter which YouTube app you use, since they've stopped automatically transcoding videos to standard H.264 in favor of their proprietary WebM.

Here's an interesting little tidbit of information.

If you visit YouTube on either an iPhone or an iPad, the site detects you are on a mobile device and will play the relevant video in HTML5.

Good for them.

However, if you visit the exact same video on a Mac, it refuses to play the video in HTML5, offering only the option of Flash, forcing you to install and adopt it.

Jesus, Google.

When exactly was it that you strayed so far from your own 'informal' motto?

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

Article fails to point out that there is no youtube app for iPad available yet - only the iPhone version!

I found the address of the iPad YouTube app for you in iTunes:

http://m.youtube.com

post #11 of 25
Yay ads! Now I don't have to worry about lost revenue on my channel!

Adsense is a side income with my YouTube channel, and I was curious why I've had a increase in revenue lately.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

Just use Jasmine. It''s better than Google YouTube app anyway and there is NO ads.
post #13 of 25
@gtr: Thanks but no thanks - I want the real iPad app and not the poor website version.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Just use Jasmine. It''s better than Google YouTube app anyway and there is NO ads.

Thanks for the tip :)

Unfortunately it requires iOS6 and I have not upgraded yet since I'm afraid to lose out of a propper youtube app - if Jasmine blows, I'm stuck....

post #15 of 25
I'd like to see a native app for iPad. Google offers one for iPhone. Or really, a better mobile web site, I don't know what happened, but their mobile site coding is clunky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleabuser View Post

So how about the legacy Maps app that relies on Google Maps? Will they keep data alive for that as well?

Last I heard, they will still supply maps for the legacy apps.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The Google YouTube app is better anyway. A little different, but better.

I had a quick look in the app store for an iPad app but didn't have time to figure out which of the many was the Google one, what's it actually called?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

OK thanks for tip.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If you visit YouTube on either an iPhone or an iPad, the site detects you are on a mobile device and will play the relevant video in HTML5.

Good for them.

However, if you visit the exact same video on a Mac, it refuses to play the video in HTML5, offering only the option of Flash, forcing you to install and adopt it.

Jesus, Google.

OMG, really? They have taken a step backwards to Flash? That's really a surprise, I thought they had dropped Flash support on Androids too already ... Next we'll read Google has merged with Microsoft and intends to go all out on killing Apple as a new joint Evil Empire.

Seriously though my Safari on Mac 10.8.2 plays my Youtube fine still with no Flash (click to Flash on) so it must be still playing the HTML5. Or is this legacy stuff that has the HTML5 still and newly uploaded material is behaving like this?

Have you actually initiated HTML5 at YouTube by going to http://www.youtube.com/html5. Just asking ...
Edited by digitalclips - 9/22/12 at 9:53am
post #19 of 25
Quote:

Good for them.

Jesus, Google.

I'm not sure why you think that. I can play the same video on both iPhone and Mac and they play just fine. I don't have Flash.

Maybe if it detects that you have Flash it plays that by default.
post #20 of 25
Quote:

Good for them.

Jesus, Google.

Educate yourself, you can enable HTML5 easily for all videos:

http://www.youtube.com/html5
Edited by Mazda 3s - 9/22/12 at 10:20am
post #21 of 25

You have a lot to learn about giving Adobe and Google the ol' heave-ho.

AdBlock for the ads on every page, Click2Flash to push a QuickTime H.264 version of the video instead of both the Flash or HTML5 versions of Google's. That way they can NEVER serve you up ads before or during the video. 

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Have you actually initiated HTML5 at YouTube by going to http://www.youtube.com/html5. Just asking ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Educate yourself, you can enable HTML5 easily for all videos:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

I had already enabled HTML5 on YouTube previously. Unfortunately, there are a few other sites out there that still require Flash as well (like this one, if you want to upload images) so I'm stuck with it for now.

I may test some of the alternatives mentioned and see how things go.

Cheers!

post #23 of 25
snax007 has it right... the only app is for the phone, nothing for an iPad. The phone app runs in a tiny window in the middle of the screen... even though you can pixel double it, you only get the a screen real estate of the phone. I read a story about someone whose wife had a TON of "favorites" before ios6... all the work and effort that went into her getting to that stage was instantly wiped out when they did the 6 "update," mostly likely thinking that there favorites would be preserved.

Between that and the abomination of Maps, I'm also sticking to ios5 for the time being. Besides, Passport has been specifically disabled from running on any iPad.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

snax007 has it right... the only app is for the phone, nothing for an iPad. The phone app runs in a tiny window in the middle of the screen... even though you can pixel double it, you only get the a screen real estate of the phone. I read a story about someone whose wife had a TON of "favorites" before ios6... all the work and effort that went into her getting to that stage was instantly wiped out when they did the 6 "update," mostly likely thinking that there favorites would be preserved.
Between that and the abomination of Maps, I'm also sticking to ios5 for the time being. Besides, Passport has been specifically disabled from running on any iPad.

There is a new unofficial YouTube app named Jasmine designed for the iPad (actually is a universal app for iPad and iPhone) that looks great and will stream both video and audio to an AppleTV via AirPlay, where the official Google YouTube app only streams audio.  Requires iOS 6, though.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasmine-youtube-client/id554937050?mt=8

post #25 of 25
So there are ads on the standalone version? If so, that sucks.....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › YouTube will serve content to legacy iOS app indefinitely