or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land" - Page 4

post #121 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I agree with this, but I don't agree with the time in which they did it or their seemingly lack of interest in any StreetView-like feature.
Note: I was recorded in line yesterday for the iPhone by a NAVTEQ car. I could see Apple simply licensing their tech instead of doing their own even though they surely could have with ease. It's not like we didn't know about Apple's Maps plans years ago.
StreetView or a better alternative will come. Because mapping cant be cultivated to perfection in a lab, Apple had no choice but to get maps in the hands of users. The longer maps sat on the shelf, the stronger Google's chokehold became.

People keep saying it took Google 8 years to get here... As if it will take Apple that long. People must remember that Apple has the advantage of 500,000,000 mobile device in the wild now - as users use the service, data will come.

It was a smart move. I only wish they did it sooner.
post #122 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post


The timing of the Maps replacement was just plain poor/rushed.  The problems with Maps will all be worked out soon, and many Android fans will still be waiting for their ICS upgrade that may never come.

I disagree. They should have gotten maps out even sooner... In the coming months even the most uninformed will realize this.
Edited by Postulant - 9/22/12 at 9:27am
post #123 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

it prevents people from carrying extra fully charged battery replacements.

No it doesn't.

If it doesn't, then how do I easily replace an iPhone's battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
While there are third-party accessories in the market to partially address this issue (on the iPhone 4/4S only) those accessories address the issue in an extremely inefficient way, since a lot of power is lost to charge the main battery of the phone.

Quite the opposite. The external battery is more efficient and effective in every way.

So Apple defies physics now? How can you be more efficient than 100% efficiency? A significant amount of power is lost to heat when you charge a battery, which is why an external battery is a lot less efficient than an additional battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Riddle me this: Once you turn your phone of and play musical batteries with your phone that will only last half as long as the iPhone on one charge because it's a shit design with a shit battery how do you recharge those batteries? Surely you must an external battery station that will line up the connectors of you phone's internal battery because having to turn off the phone one again to switch batteries out to charge them once you find a power source is surely not the convenience and simple usage you are trying to force here.

What is this imaginary phone we're talking about? Why does it must have a crappy battery design? And when did I mention convenience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: When you can get 8 hours of continuous data usage from LTE you have to wonder how many people would even need an extra charge in a day. Apple is horrible for these companies because there batteries do last so damn long per charge and don't wear down as quickly due to the 1000 charge to 80% chemistry.

I've had phones that lasted over a week without a charge, and this includes smartphones with replaceable batteries running Symbian. I'm mentioning this just to show how little this has to do with battery design; it's the software that makes most of the difference, if power management sucks for some reason, batteries won't last as long, and obviously power management will suck on Android devices because OEMs are usually crap at optimization and the Linux kernel has never been known for its top notch power management code.
post #124 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

 Stolen JVM? Didn't a jury find Google not guilty?

Mmm. No.

 

The jury decided that a number of APIs (not the JVM, my mistake) had been infringed upon. The judge decided that no harm was done and so Google didn't have to pay any money. The decision was odd because taking Java and moving the packages and APIs around  was precisely why Microsoft lost a similar case years before. 

 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/oracle-wins-on-infringement-jury-stuck-on-googles-fair-use-argument/75810

 

The patent case was a separate issue, and Oracle lost big on that one.

 

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240151103/Google-wins-Oracle-spat-over-Java

post #125 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

So Apple defies physics now? How can you be more efficient than 100% efficiency? A significant amount of power is lost to heat when you charge a battery, which is why an external battery is a lot less efficient than an additional battery.
 

 

So how does this additional battery get charged then?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #126 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

So Apple defies physics now? How can you be more efficient than 100% efficiency? A significant amount of power is lost to heat when you charge a battery, which is why an external battery is a lot less efficient than an additional battery.

 

So how does this additional battery get charged then?

Wall socket? The point here is that charging the iPhone's internal battery using an external battery is less efficient than carrying a backup battery that can replace the battery in the phone without wasting all of its power recharging 60% of the phone's battery.
post #127 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well, that's too bad..  seems like the average iphone users can't tell the difference anyway..
.

Umm, can we see the out-takes when people said " wtf, it's the same phone ..."

Oh, yeah, it's TV, just like those Samsung ads that make fun of people who are willing to lineup to get the product that they really want ...
post #128 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Wall socket? The point here is that charging the iPhone's internal battery using an external battery is less efficient than carrying a backup battery that can replace the battery in the phone without wasting all of its power recharging 60% of the phone's battery.

1) Really?! You cram your phone's naked internal battery into a wall socket? Ridiculous!

2) You lose half your charge from transferring a DC to DC power from a slighter higher to slighter lower voltage? Not even close. You dont even come close to half with an AC to DC conversion.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #129 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Wall socket? The point here is that charging the iPhone's internal battery using an external battery is less efficient than carrying a backup battery that can replace the battery in the phone without wasting all of its power recharging 60% of the phone's battery.

1) Really?! You cram your phone's naked internal battery into a wall socket? Ridiculous!

2) You lose half your charge from transferring a DC to DC power from a slighter higher to slighter lower voltage? Not even close. You dont even come close to half with an AC to DC conversion.

 

I think what Vaelian is saying is that charging a battery is less than 100% efficient, so charging a battery to use to charge another battery is less efficient than charging the two batteries directly as it introduces an added charging cycle. True, however, lithium batteries are actually very efficient, so in reality this is not a big issue.

post #130 of 178
I have one of those accesory batteries used to recharge the iphone battery and yes, it can only charge the iphone to about 60% capacity. The reason I bought one of these in the first place is the iphone battery only lasts about 1/2. To 2/3 of my average daily use. I would rather just have a removable battery personally.

The comment about putting the battery directly in the wall socket was rude btw. Like you didn't know what he meant. Lame....
post #131 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Wall socket? The point here is that charging the iPhone's internal battery using an external battery is less efficient than carrying a backup battery that can replace the battery in the phone without wasting all of its power recharging 60% of the phone's battery.

Of course, you neglect to mention that the additional components added to make a battery removable and replaceable also affect battery performance in the device. So you need to carry a battery because the circuitry reduces the run time ...
post #132 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Benchmarks don't matter to you Appletards, right?"

 

—The Anti-Apple Brigade, upon reading this

 

LOL.  Right.  They don't matter to us.

 

But when the Android Apologists try to bring specs to the experience fight, we've got them covered.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #133 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Benchmarks don't matter to you Appletards, right?"

 

—The Anti-Apple Brigade, upon reading this

Well, using it is a breeze. Not to self promote, but in my review of the iphone 5, I wrote about how great it is as a user, and not just in terms of stats. Benchmarks are semi-important, but nothing beats real use and after using the phone for a short while I can tell you it feels incredibly fast. Pages load instantly. Apps load quickly. Everything about it is FAST. P.S my friends are in that brigade.

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Reply

Come visit and chat with me about Apple: Appstorechronicle.com

Email Me: Editor@appstorechronicle.com

Reply
post #134 of 178
Originally Posted by obsessedapple View Post
P.S my friends are in that brigade.

 

And you haven't converted them? Well, you know what they say about proximity of enemies… lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #135 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

 Build Quality - No, try the Oppo Finder, that phone can hammer a nail to a wooden board and not break (Literally, check out the youtube video), and it's the thinnest smartphone ever (Unlike what Apple has you believing)
Style - Yes, if you're the guy that pulls out his iPhone just to impress other people (Because NOBODY has the iPhone /s)
Refinement - Definitely true, probably the best iPhone has going for them (If you discount the downgrade iOS 6 brought with garbage Maps)

A phone you can hammer a nail in with?

I think you and I have different ideas about build-quality.

That's amusing to see you think having a stylish phone is all about impressing others, and not just being an appreciator of beautiful things that also happen to kick ass in the performance, reliability and enjoyment categories as well.

And Apple's maps will improve in time.

The beautiful thing about Apple is that they're in it for the long haul, and don't just support their devices for a generation. Or two. If you are lucky.

Sound familiar?
post #136 of 178

I wasn't lucky enough to get my hands on the iPhone 5 yet, but I did spend fifteen minutes playing with it at the Apple Store. The device truly is amazing. First, the difference in weight is astonishing. Second, the device is incredibly fast in every way. 

post #137 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

A phone you can hammer a nail in with?
I think you and I have different ideas about build-quality.

I was thinking the same thing.

I could pound in a nail with this phone, but I wouldn't want to carry it around with me:


"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #138 of 178
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
I could pound in a nail with this phone, but I wouldn't want to carry it around with me:

 

Ooh! A hide-a-phone rock! I get it! So you put this in your landscaping right next to your hide-a-key rock, so that when you forget your key and forget where your hide-a-key rock is, you can CALL this rock and be led straight to it!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #139 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

 Build Quality - No, try the Oppo Finder, that phone can hammer a nail to a wooden board and not break (Literally, check out the youtube video), and it's the thinnest smartphone ever (Unlike what Apple has you believing)
Style - Yes, if you're the guy that pulls out his iPhone just to impress other people (Because NOBODY has the iPhone /s)
Refinement - Definitely true, probably the best iPhone has going for them (If you discount the downgrade iOS 6 brought with garbage Maps)

OK, go ahead and spend your $479 on an Oppo Finder, I'll spend $10 and go to the hardware store to buy a real hammer with better build quality for hammering nails ... ;p
post #140 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

StreetView or a better alternative will come. Because mapping cant be cultivated to perfection in a lab, Apple had no choice but to get maps in the hands of users. The longer maps sat on the shelf, the stronger Google's chokehold became.
People keep saying it took Google 8 years to get here... As if it will take Apple that long. People must remember that Apple has the advantage of 500,000,000 mobile device in the wild now - as users use the service, data will come.
It was a smart move. I only wish they did it sooner.

Apple is using TomTom et al. for the Maps backend so you can't say they are reinventing the wheel here. They also could have made their own street view with ease if NAVTEQ's system wasn't ready (don't know haven't looked into it) so you can't say that Apple is starting from scratch here.

I don't get this new argument that Apple has to crowd source to get street view working or get accurate placement of locations for their maps. This isn't Siri. This isn't particular to any one user. My TomTom app on the iPhone is more accurate than Maps. Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think what Vaelian is saying is that charging a battery is less than 100% efficient, so charging a battery to use to charge another battery is less efficient than charging the two batteries directly as it introduces an added charging cycle. True, however, lithium batteries are actually very efficient, so in reality this is not a big issue.

It's a bullshit answer that doesn't answer my original query. The fact is even AC to DC losing very little on these tiny devices and AC to AC transfers are significantly smaller. If you have a battery that needs to be charged through another device and then have to double, triple or quadruple that effort to get the same battery life as one bowl of Total an iPhone you are doing it wrong.

Bottom line is the iPhone's battery life is world class so making the entire product inferior to suit some paranoid Chicken Littles is not only foolish but costly to Apple, hurts the product for the end user, and if you want to go there, hurts the environment if cheap batteries that are being disgaueded in the trash by users.
Edited by SolipsismX - 9/22/12 at 1:01pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #141 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think what Vaelian is saying is that charging a battery is less than 100% efficient, so charging a battery to use to charge another battery is less efficient than charging the two batteries directly as it introduces an added charging cycle. True, however, lithium batteries are actually very efficient, so in reality this is not a big issue.

It's a bullshit answer that doesn't answer my original query. The fact is even AC to DC losing very little on these tiny devices and AC to AC transfers are significantly smaller. If you have a battery that needs to be charged through another device and then have to double, triple or quadruple that effort to get the same battery life as one bowl of Total an iPhone you are doing it wrong.

Bottom line is the iPhone's battery life is world class so making the entire product inferior to suit some paranoid Chicken Littles is not only foolish but costly to Apple, hurts the product for the end user, and if you want to go there, hurts the environment a lot more than with cheap batteries that are being disgaueded in the trash by users.

 

Right - that's a slightly different point and I completely agree.

post #142 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


I disagree. They should have gotten maps out even sooner... In the coming months even the most uninformed will realize this.

 

This is *assuming* we knew the deal between the two CORPORATIONS etc. We don't and you don't.  Bottom line, this had to be done and I'm thrilled.  The more they get Google OFF their platform the better.  I don't buy Apple products to enrich Google with my personal information.  Apparently the droidheads are suckers for data farming, good for them, I'm happier that people who don't appreciate the Apple platform *somehow* judge the phone because of a third party app.

 

99% of the screaming is coming from BS'ers. 

 

I mean, I got my phone yesterday, and I can without a doubt say this is the BEST IPHONE YET.  I recently upgraded my MAC's at home and Mountain Lion is the slickest OS yet, absolutely the BEST.

 

I live in the biggest media market in the world. L.A.  Most ALL of us here in this market have a GPS that duplicates whatever a MAP app can do and so do the REST of you whiners.  

 

Bye Bye Google.  Apple just cut off 400 million/500 million devices of data farming from Google.  Wondering why some you don't just get it.

 

Taking it further, I'm a 25 year customer of Apple's.  All this quoting and questioning of Steve Jobs -- believe me, the cutting of the cord from Google was a direct order from him and the top lieutenants.  And for those of you who can't find their way home or their nearest JACK IN THE BOX, WTF???????  Get a life -- not a app!!!!!!  You def dont belong on this platform, good riddance. LOL!!!

 

Guys, let's get off this stupid distraction and get back to point of the thread....Cry about your loss of Google in another forum can you?

post #143 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

LOL.  Right.  They don't matter to us.

But when the Android Apologists try to bring specs to the experience fight, we've got them covered.

Really?
Let's see. Tell me if you can do just one of these things with the iphone. Just 1. Any real smartphone or tablet should be able to do these simple computer tasks.

1. Look at your files? Or maybe copy and paste a file from one folder to another?
2. Open email and then attach a word document? Or attach a few pics?
3. Download a file from the internet, while watching a video? Or hell, any real multitasking?
4. Add external memory?
5. Read and manipulate the contents of an external drive?
6. Wirelessly connect to a mouse, keyboard and display and present a powerpoint brief or an excel spreadsheet, while you sync and collaborate with numerous people simultaneously?
7. Autosync your pictures, documents, videos and emails with any device, on any network, anywhere in the world in real time?
8. Use built in maps to find your way along the metro lines of London or Tokyo?
9. Be able to open 3rd party apps without having letterboxing due to a lack of scaling?
10. Watch a video while surfing the net, or watch a video of someone making food, while reading the recipe?
11. Attach a file from your iphone to a forum or upload a file from your phone to imageshack. Better yet, when you see any website say 'attach file' be able to do so.
12. Place an icon anywhere on the screen? Change your icon image? Add 30 apps into one folder? Add folders into folders? Alter the look of your homescreen? Alter your statusbar? Add multiple pages of apps to your deck? Change the look of your stolen notification center? Change the stock keyboard?
13. How about altering your cpu's speed? Change the entire OS out for another? What about having the option for a screen bigger than 3.99 inches?
14. Play nintendo, playstation or other games via an emulator and wireless ps3 or xbox controller? This is real mobile gaming, not the pathetic excuse you are used to with 'virtual buttons'.
15. Easy one. Can you use your phone without ever connecting to that really, really shitty program called itunes? So jailbreaking is out of the question. Or fixing a softbricked phone.
post #144 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't get this new argument that Apple has to crowd source to get street view working or get accurate placement of locations for their maps. This isn't Siri. This isn't particular to any one user. My TomTom app on the iPhone is more accurate than Maps. Why is that?

Tom Tom only licenses the backend(the maps) the front end has to come from Apple. If not from crowd sourcing, how are the overlays gathered? Certainly not from Apple's team of developers and engineers.

Why is Tom Tom more accurate? For the same reason Google's is more accurate - Years of crowd sourcing, surveying, and imaging from the populace.
post #145 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Really?
Let's see. Tell me if you can do just one of these things with the iphone. Just 1. Any real smartphone or tablet should be able to do these simple computer tasks.
1. Look at your files? Or maybe copy and paste a file from one folder to another?
2. Open email and then attach a word document? Or attach a few pics?
3. Download a file from the internet, while watching a video? Or hell, any real multitasking?
4. Add external memory?
5. Read and manipulate the contents of an external drive?
6. Wirelessly connect to a mouse, keyboard and display and present a powerpoint brief or an excel spreadsheet, while you sync and collaborate with numerous people simultaneously?
7. Autosync your pictures, documents, videos and emails with any device, on any network, anywhere in the world in real time?
8. Use built in maps to find your way along the metro lines of London or Tokyo?
9. Be able to open 3rd party apps without having letterboxing due to a lack of scaling?
10. Watch a video while surfing the net, or watch a video of someone making food, while reading the recipe?
11. Attach a file from your iphone to a forum or upload a file from your phone to imageshack. Better yet, when you see any website say 'attach file' be able to do so.
12. Place an icon anywhere on the screen? Change your icon image? Add 30 apps into one folder? Add folders into folders? Alter the look of your homescreen? Alter your statusbar? Add multiple pages of apps to your deck? Change the look of your stolen notification center? Change the stock keyboard?
13. How about altering your cpu's speed? Change the entire OS out for another? What about having the option for a screen bigger than 3.99 inches?
14. Play nintendo, playstation or other games via an emulator and wireless ps3 or xbox controller? This is real mobile gaming, not the pathetic excuse you are used to with 'virtual buttons'.
15. Easy one. Can you use your phone without ever connecting to that really, really shitty program called itunes? So jailbreaking is out of the question. Or fixing a softbricked phone.
I can go on for days on what the iphone, ios and its users can't do compared to an S3, Nexus phones, but there is nothing the iphone can do that the S3 can't, straight out of the box. And by the way, I find it funny that every S3 owner shows faster specs than the antiquated, weak battery, ugly ass, stretched turd iPhone 5 does in pcmag. And since when did pcmag become the ultimate authority on Apple products and benchmarks? Oh yeah, when they made a claim that the triple core iphone was faster than the dual core S3 and all the iFans suddenly heralded pcmag as the only real stats that matter. Which, in the real world, is not the case. But it is what we come to expect from the weak minded, believe anything Apple spews, devout iFaithful.
I love laughing at you guys and your pathetic little phones. And the sheer stupidity of the idiots that pay Apple's costs. And have you all given your mandatory $30 tithing to Apple, so you can have the privilege of using your new iphone with all those accessories and car stereos you own? Bwa ha ha ha And you wonder why you are labeled isheep?

I wanted to quote this so after you're proven a fool you can't go back and edit.

But before I tear your points apart, I have a simple question. This thread Iis about performance. Do you have anything to add to that discussion or are you going to keep avoiding the issue and try to deflect the conversation to something else because you're embarrassed at how badly the iPhone 5 kills those Android phones?

And there are lots of benchmarks and tests besides PCMag that also show the iPhone 5 to be the fastest phone in the world. Unless you care to prove everyone wrong with links to tests that show otherwise.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #146 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Tom Tom only licenses the backend(the maps) the front end has to come from Apple. If not from crowd sourcing, how are the overlays gathered? Certainly not from Apple's team of developers and engineers.
Why is Tom Tom more accurate? For the same reason Google's is more accurate - Years of crowd sourcing, surveying, and imaging from the populace.

You mean TomTom licenses them the actual maps but none of the points with their coordinates that go on the maps, like businesses, general addresses, roads, landmarks or various items that would affect travel like type of road, speed, restrictions, etc.? Then what would be the point or licensing from TomTom?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #147 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I wanted to quote this so after you're proven a fool you can't go back and edit.
But before I tear your points apart, I have a simple question. This thread Iis about performance. Do you have anything to add to that discussion or are you going to keep avoiding the issue and try to deflect the conversation to something else because you're embarrassed at how badly the iPhone 5 kills those Android phones?
And there are lots of benchmarks and tests besides PCMag that also show the iPhone 5 to be the fastest phone in the world. Unless you care to prove everyone wrong with links to tests that show otherwise.
LOL. The pretty much sums it up right there. You couldn't answer a single one of those points. Any basic computer can do those things I mentioned, which is why the iphone isn't a smartphone. It a dumbphone with a crappy web browser built in. Hell, it took how many years just to get tabbed browsing? How about a simple thing, like 'find on page'? No? Ask yourself what even the most basic of functions are for a computer and you'll see just how woefully inadequate the iphone truly is. One day, you may wake up and actually realize how much you have been brainwashed to believe the crap Apple spews.

As for benchmark scores, my S3 easily beats those pcmag scores for the iphone 5, as does every S3 owners. There are tons of benchmarks out there showing this, and turn you have one benchmark from pcmag. It is funny how before this benchmark came out, all you iTards claimed specs didnt matter, it was the ecosystem, or the os, or cause Jobs said so. Now all of a sudden specs matter. Typical hypocritical nonsense from the iDiots.
I do get a good laugh out of the pathetic ramblings in here. You entertain me. Keep it up.

iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3
post #148 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post


LOL. The pretty much sums it up right there. You couldn't answer a single one of those points. Any basic computer can do those things I mentioned, which is why the iphone isn't a smartphone. It a dumbphone with a crappy web browser built in. Hell, it took how many years just to get tabbed browsing? How about a simple thing, like 'find on page'? No? Ask yourself what even the most basic of functions are for a computer and you'll see just how woefully inadequate the iphone truly is. One day, you may wake up and actually realize how much you have been brainwashed to believe the crap Apple spews.
As for benchmark scores, my S3 easily beats those pcmag scores for the iphone 5, as does every S3 owners. There are tons of benchmarks out there showing this, and turn you have one benchmark from pcmag. It is funny how before this benchmark came out, all you iTards claimed specs didnt matter, it was the ecosystem, or the os, or cause Jobs said so. Now all of a sudden specs matter. Typical hypocritical nonsense from the iDiots.
I do get a good laugh out of the pathetic ramblings in here. You entertain me. Keep it up.
iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

 

I think overall this shows you the performance of the iPhone 5 and not one benchmark where the Galaxy S3 beat the iPhone. 


Edited by howyoudoin - 9/22/12 at 3:58pm
post #149 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post


Really?
Let's see. Tell me if you can do just one of these things with the iphone. Just 1. Any real smartphone or tablet should be able to do these simple computer tasks.
1. Look at your files? Or maybe copy and paste a file from one folder to another?
2. Open email and then attach a word document? Or attach a few pics?
3. Download a file from the internet, while watching a video? Or hell, any real multitasking?
4. Add external memory?
5. Read and manipulate the contents of an external drive?
6. Wirelessly connect to a mouse, keyboard and display and present a powerpoint brief or an excel spreadsheet, while you sync and collaborate with numerous people simultaneously?
7. Autosync your pictures, documents, videos and emails with any device, on any network, anywhere in the world in real time?
8. Use built in maps to find your way along the metro lines of London or Tokyo?
9. Be able to open 3rd party apps without having letterboxing due to a lack of scaling?
10. Watch a video while surfing the net, or watch a video of someone making food, while reading the recipe?
11. Attach a file from your iphone to a forum or upload a file from your phone to imageshack. Better yet, when you see any website say 'attach file' be able to do so.
12. Place an icon anywhere on the screen? Change your icon image? Add 30 apps into one folder? Add folders into folders? Alter the look of your homescreen? Alter your statusbar? Add multiple pages of apps to your deck? Change the look of your stolen notification center? Change the stock keyboard?
13. How about altering your cpu's speed? Change the entire OS out for another? What about having the option for a screen bigger than 3.99 inches?
14. Play nintendo, playstation or other games via an emulator and wireless ps3 or xbox controller? This is real mobile gaming, not the pathetic excuse you are used to with 'virtual buttons'.
15. Easy one. Can you use your phone without ever connecting to that really, really shitty program called itunes? So jailbreaking is out of the question. Or fixing a softbricked phone.
I can go on for days on what the iphone, ios and its users can't do compared to an S3, Nexus phones, but there is nothing the iphone can do that the S3 can't, straight out of the box. And by the way, I find it funny that every S3 owner shows faster specs than the antiquated, weak battery, ugly ass, stretched turd iPhone 5 does in pcmag. And since when did pcmag become the ultimate authority on Apple products and benchmarks? Oh yeah, when they made a claim that the triple core iphone was faster than the dual core S3 and all the iFans suddenly heralded pcmag as the only real stats that matter. Which, in the real world, is not the case. But it is what we come to expect from the weak minded, believe anything Apple spews, devout iFaithful.
I love laughing at you guys and your pathetic little phones. And the sheer stupidity of the idiots that pay Apple's costs. And have you all given your mandatory $30 tithing to Apple, so you can have the privilege of using your new iphone with all those accessories and car stereos you own? Bwa ha ha ha And you wonder why you are labeled isheep?

 

1.  Why do I need folders?   I can copy and paste on my iPhone file,  I can copy an entire document or photo without issue.  

2.  I'll agree with you on this one, Apple needs to work on this

3. I can check email while watching a video.  I can also listen to music while using turn by turn voice navigation. Receive skype messages or a skype call while multitasking.   Also gps navigation works while talking on the phone.  Multitasking is important but no reason to sacrifice battery life because of useless multitasking.

4.  Cloud storage is defeating the purpose of wasting space in the phone for a memory card.

5.  An external drive on my phone....why?

6. Airplay, bluetooth keyboard do work on a iPhone.  This feature would be more useful on a iPad.  I see the benefits of it.

7. imap for email so non-issue, Photos and documents on in iCloud now.  

8. Clearly Maps is having issues, Apple decided that they are no longer going to pay to use Google Maps.  It'll get better over time but there are 3rd party alternatives out there.  Personally I never use public transportation so it'll be a non-issue for many but for those yes its an issue until Apple adds it.  

9.  Thankfully the majority of 3rd party developers on the App Store actually update their apps.  I would say about 80% of the apps on my iPhone 4 (haven't upgraded yet) have added support for the iPhone 5 already.  Android users will have more of an issue with app compatibility then iPhone users http://pocketnow.com/android/google-getting-more-explicit-with-android-app-compatibility

10.  How are you going to watch a video and read a recipe on a small phone at the same time?

11. Apps have permission to local photo storage.  I'm not sure why they haven't added the feature to safari yet but would love this ability.

12. I don't need any of these.  I don't need folders in folders, don't you understand that actually makes things harder?  You want your phone to run like windows which is just awful.  For those who want the full customization, jailbreak. 

13. Voiding your warranty but enjoy.  I don't need to overclock because iOS and the hardware get along very nicely

14. Technically illegal but if an iphone user would like to do this they would have to jailbreak there phone because emulators are available on cydia.  

15.  Yes since iOS 5 I haven't touched iTunes.  It's not needed for backups (iCloud) and you can buy everything on the phone now.  

 

 

Also in relation to the the new lightning connector, how many times have phone connectors changed in the past 9 years?  Heck even pick one manufacturer and let me know.

 

Yes iOS isn't perfect because I listed several features I would love to have in the next iOS. 

 

Do you want me to list some issues I have with android phones?   Number 1 would easily be having to wait months (sometimes over a year) for android OS updates.  You can argue with me how you can just root your phone but honestly I could use the jailbreak argument to cover almost every missing feature you listed.

 

Fanboyism is a joke on both sides.  Android is the best thing for Apple, it forces Apple to innovate and the same on the Android side.  Remember the retina display, how many phones before the iPhone 4 came close to it, but think of how many android phones have substantially better resolution after?  

 

Apple's A6 CPU wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for the competition from Samsung, HTC, etc.  

post #150 of 178
^ Shhhhh. Don't post up articles that tell the truth. It will upset the idiots who are going to cling to that Geekbench score and flog it like the dead horse it is.
The telling point is how come the GS3 gets a better Geekbench score yet fails in every other benchmark?

Oh, and Mac.World, I'm mobile right now, but don't worry. I'll get to your pathetic little wish list soon enough.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #151 of 178

Apologies for being off topic, can someone tell me WHY does Apple launch a new product and with in one day every store is out of inventory? I know there is pre-order, but I (and many people) did not have the money to pre-order last week and I'd rather not wait 2-3 more weeks if I pre-order now. Who releases a product and only gives stores enough inventory to last 12-24 hours and then make their customers wait another 36-72 hours to buy. It makes no sense to me. At an AT&T store near me 15-20 people were in line at 9am and only 2-3 got to buy. Why turn money away, why not just give each store and carrier enough to last 3-5 days. Whatever Apple's first weekend sales will be, they could have been A LOT more if the stores had more inventory. I don't get it.

post #152 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

LOL. The pretty much sums it up right there. You couldn't answer a single one of those points. Any basic computer can do those things I mentioned, which is why the iphone isn't a smartphone. It a dumbphone with a crappy web browser built in. Hell, it took how many years just to get tabbed browsing? How about a simple thing, like 'find on page'? No? Ask yourself what even the most basic of functions are for a computer and you'll see just how woefully inadequate the iphone truly is. One day, you may wake up and actually realize how much you have been brainwashed to believe the crap Apple spews.
As for benchmark scores, my S3 easily beats those pcmag scores for the iphone 5, as does every S3 owners. There are tons of benchmarks out there showing this, and turn you have one benchmark from pcmag. It is funny how before this benchmark came out, all you iTards claimed specs didnt matter, it was the ecosystem, or the os, or cause Jobs said so. Now all of a sudden specs matter. Typical hypocritical nonsense from the iDiots.
I do get a good laugh out of the pathetic ramblings in here. You entertain me. Keep it up.
iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3


WHATEVER

I originally thought:
Quote:


so i assume you rather want Quantity not quality... samsung = Quantity.... and Apple = quality...

WOW!... so i keep "hearing" on the intertubes that the s3 is super leet (1337!) ... so not knowing anything about the s3 i went to ifixit . com to see if they had a tear down of the S3 (on the off chance that i would be impressed by the inners of the s3) , Unfortunately, i was not impressed, so it has a 1280 by 720 screen; it is huge!... ( is that a phone in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me LOL)... so you are paying the same amount of money for an s3 as an iPhone?... an S3 has "old school" construction!... great except you are paying samsung way to much money for what you are getting... that S3 should be half the price!.

fine, love your S3... it is your right... but don't prop up your decision to buy an S3 because the iPhone is worse...

so did you buy your S3 phone because it is fast, or because it is a phone? . or do you have that crappy-dumb-phone that you speak of in your rant?

BTW, when all is said and done, better to support apple than samsung, because samsung would rather be "also-rans" then take a risk on something new.

why SAMSUNG is so BIG ... so why do they need to use Googles anrdriod OS?.... can they not come up with something original...without "standing on the shoulders of giants"?...

or is that they would rather take your money and give you something that is average but you think is super?...
post #153 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Apologies for being off topic, can someone tell me WHY does Apple launch a new product and with in one day every store is out of inventory? I know there is pre-order, but I (and many people) did not have the money to pre-order last week and I'd rather not wait 2-3 more weeks if I pre-order now. Who releases a product and only gives stores enough inventory to last 12-24 hours and then make their customers wait another 36-72 hours to buy. It makes no sense to me. At an AT&T store near me 15-20 people were in line at 9am and only 2-3 got to buy. Why turn money away, why not just give each store and carrier enough to last 3-5 days. Whatever Apple's first weekend sales will be, they could have been A LOT more if the stores had more inventory. I don't get it.

 

Maybe it has something to do with the twenty two countries the iPhone 5 is launching in next week.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #154 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Is there a possibility that some benchmark results are fake or made with hacked phones? Of course, it is possible with any smartphone 1wink.gif. Only time will tell.

Curiously the PC Mag test you are referring to is the one that got my attention because of some weird results (not the geekbench test. I thing that test is pretty legit) rather the GLBenchmark and because they used the US dual core version of S3 instead of international quad core S3.[/quote]

Are results faked or hacked? Sure. That's why you can pretty much ignore the anonymous results on Geekbench and look at side-by-side comparisons where the different phones were tested side-by-side in stock configuration - like PC Mag and Anand's results. Who knows what was done on an anonymous Geekbench result? They could be using a hacked kernel were every feature was disabled except the benchmark. That's presumably why SIII results vary by more than 50% in published Geekbench scores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Does that means they were biased towards Apple? I think yes.

It would be interesting to see your evidence for that.

Historically, both PC Mag and Anand have been pretty strongly biased AGAINST Apple - and they both found that the iPhone 5 was convincingly faster than the SIII. So what made them switch from being anti-Apple to pro-Apple and what evidence do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Of course, you neglect to mention that the additional components added to make a battery removable and replaceable also affect battery performance in the device. So you need to carry a battery because the circuitry reduces the run time ...

In addition, the components needed to make the batter interchangeable take space and weight. So you have less room left for the battery - which reduces your run time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

LOL. The pretty much sums it up right there. You couldn't answer a single one of those points. Any basic computer can do those things I mentioned, which is why the iphone isn't a smartphone. It a dumbphone with a crappy web browser built in. Hell, it took how many years just to get tabbed browsing? How about a simple thing, like 'find on page'? No? Ask yourself what even the most basic of functions are for a computer and you'll see just how woefully inadequate the iphone truly is. One day, you may wake up and actually realize how much you have been brainwashed to believe the crap Apple spews.
As for benchmark scores, my S3 easily beats those pcmag scores for the iphone 5, as does every S3 owners. There are tons of benchmarks out there showing this, and turn you have one benchmark from pcmag. It is funny how before this benchmark came out, all you iTards claimed specs didnt matter, it was the ecosystem, or the os, or cause Jobs said so. Now all of a sudden specs matter. Typical hypocritical nonsense from the iDiots.
I do get a good laugh out of the pathetic ramblings in here. You entertain me. Keep it up.
iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3

Let's see - an anonymous result with unknown test conditions shows the SIII to be faster than an iPhone which was tested under completely different conditions. That's supposed to prove something?

Meanwhile, when PC Mag and Anand do the test properly (side-by-side with identical test conditions), the iPhone wins convincingly.

Not to mention, of course, that whether Android phones do well in benchmarks, they lag in normal, everyday use.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #155 of 178

Right, because that video shows an accurate sampling of iPhone owners. LOL.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

 

Well, that's too bad..  seems like the average iphone users can't tell the difference anyway..

 

 

not sure what your point is...   GS III JB (pre-release) already produced better geekbench results (clearly indicating that it's not a raw cpu performance issue); Note II, to be released in mid-Novemeber, is also known to perform much better than GS III (hence Note II > iPhone 5).  Samsung makes over 20+ smartphone models for the US market; some with much shorter product release cycle.  Furthermore, my understanding is that Apple routinely underc-locks Ax chips to conserve battery life - and this is where Samsung Galaxy S2 falls short -, so clearly Apple is not necessarily interested in this mindless spec race.

 

Well, enjoy your 15-minutes. *yawn* bye.

post #156 of 178
post #157 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Bwa ha ha ha

 

Did you actually laugh then have to type this, not actually laugh then made up that you did and had typed it, or just typed it because you thought it would convey a false confidence about the poor choice of smartphone that you appear to have made?

 


Edited by GTR - 9/22/12 at 7:11pm
post #158 of 178
Quote:

 

We definitely need Mac.World to explain those results to us.

post #159 of 178
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Did you actually laugh then have to type this, not actually laugh then made up that you had typed it, or just typed it because you thought it would convey a false confidence about the poor choice of smartphone that you appear to have made?

 

He was dictating with Siri. He's a closet hypocrite.


Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
We definitely need Mac.World to explain those results to us.

 

Apple paid Anandtech, just like they paid the jury to get Samsung declared guilty. If they can afford a jury and judge, they can afford a little review.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #160 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post


------snip------

 

I see your original post has already been edited, as I had predicted. Since many of your complaints have been addressed by another member I don't need to go over all of them, but I'll expand on a few of them.

 

 

Where I work all our documents are stored on a corporate server. There's no need to store local versions on my phone. For my personal files I use a USB thumb drive I keep on my keychain. I can plug it into any PC without having to carry a cable to plug in my smartphone. Even works where there's no wireless.

 

You can get adaptors to allow you to connect memory cards to your iDevice. There are also external drives made to work with iDevices as well. Most people don't buy them (which proves it's not something people need), but for people who have different requirements there are choices available.

 

Customize your home screen with icon placements and widgets? Ooooh, the standard comeback for an Android apologist. Don't need it, don't care. Windows also has widgets (gadgets) and of the countless PC's I've fixed for friends over the years I've never come across anyone who uses them. There are only 3 important things I need to be made aware of: phone calls, e-mails and text messages. These are all handled by notifications. I've never seen a widget yet that actually provided something I needed. If there was, I would have probably switched to Android to get something so "necessary".

 

Run games with emulators? I thought Android users didn't waste time with games and only used their phones for "serious bizzness"? I don't need to waste my time with crappy games when iOS has a great selection of games actually written natively for it. And since iPhones mop the floor with Android phones as far as GPU's go, I get games that look better and run smoother than anything on Android.

 

Of course, with developers working on iOS projects at a rate of more than 2:1 compared to Android, I also have a better selection of Apps. Despite that amazing 1.3 million devices a day Google brags about activating it hasn't done anything to cause developers to flock to writing programs for Android and all those paying customers. You see, App developers are smart enough to see what's really going on which is why they don't waste their time with Android and put their resources into iOS. Especially tablet Apps, which are horrid on Android.

 

 

The real problem with your list (and all the various "lists" Android fans/Apple haters like to create) is they answer the questions nobody asked. You can list off all sorts of things you can do, but can't give any practical daily situation they would be required or wouldn't already be addressed by using another, more efficient method.

 

And since I'm sure you're going to be hanging on to that Geekbench score, here's something to think about: The GS2 Quad Core only manages to be 11% faster than the iPhone 5 in Geekbench. But it's clocked 40% faster. And it has 4 cores instead of 2. So please tell me what's so impressive about a processor that should be at least 100% faster but only manages to be 11% faster?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"