or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Apple rolls out four new iPhone 5 ads

Briefly: Apple rolls out four new iPhone 5 ads

post #1 of 139
Apple on Friday posted four new ad spots for its iPhone 5, three touting the handset's features and one focusing on the gratis set of EarPods included with every purchase.

While the commercials bring back a product-centric style to Apple's ad style, unlike the widely panned "Genius" campaign, the company's newest video spots are still very lighthearted and may for some lean more towards "kitschy" than "elegant."

The first of the four, titled "Thumb," attempts to explain why Apple chose to use a 4-inch display in the iPhone 5, rather than larger screen sizes seen on a number of Android phones. Here the narrator seems to take a rather snide tone when describing how the new design is a perfect fit for thumb use, a definite departure from Apple's usual understated approach.

Up next is "Cheese," which shows off the new Panorama camera feature that ships with iOS 6. In this case, the narrator actually becomes part of the scene, directing the lineup of children dressed in costume to say an incredibly extended "cheese" as the panoramic photo is taken and processed. Once again, the spot is quite different from previous campaigns.

The final iPhone 5 ad, "Physics," takes a look at the new smartphone's thin design and larger screen. In a very tongue-in-cheek series of questions, the narrator asks "there are laws to physics, right?" and "how can something get bigger, and smaller?"

Apple's last ad focuses on the EarPods introduced alongside the iPhone 5 last week. It starts off extremely casual with the statement, "ears are weird," and goes on to explain how headphones should be "ear-shaped" instead of round "so, you know, they fit in your ears."

How these commercials will be received remains to be seen, but it looks as though Apple is trying to appeal to a wider demographic with the new campaign, a move that could raise the ire of critics accustomed to the company's trademark "classy" ads.
post #2 of 139
Thumb is good to explain the screen size but Cheese is cute.
post #3 of 139

I think the Cheese one is definitely the best by far, but they are all good except the "Physics" one which comes across almost as a parody to me.  

post #4 of 139
The average Android smartphone user has fingers that stretch a lot further than iPhone users. That's why they're so comfortable using 4.8" and larger displays. You ever see the length of the fingers on a chimpanzee?
post #5 of 139
So where is the screw up Map ads? LOL.........
post #6 of 139
"Physics" is funny lol - the maps app also defies physics with its warping bridges 1smile.gif I like these adds though, they are well done
post #7 of 139
I like them all... But Thumb and Cheese are my favorite..
post #8 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

"Physics" is funny lol - the maps app also defies physics with its warping bridges 1smile.gif I like these adds though, they are well done

Yeah I love the "cheese ad" the most! 

post #9 of 139
Eh.. I really wish I could like these. I think they're better than the genius ones, but I think they're falling into the same trap. That is, I believe they're trying to be more than they need to be. Again, Apple makes amazing products that sell themselves; all they need to do is show them off, that's it.Trying to be cute is a risk they don't need to take; the attempt to be entertaining distracts from the product, and invariably isolates people who don't have the same sense of humor/cuteness. I like the panorama ad the most as well, although I sympathize most with the thumb one. Now I'm rambling, but.. If it were up to me, I would have done it differently: show a thumb, narrate: "we increased the screen on the iPhone 5 specifically to take advantage of a special tool", then cut to thumb rocking some cool features to catchy music, then tag line: 'it's amazing what one thumb can do'.

post #10 of 139

enjoyed those thanks

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #11 of 139

Just heard the new ad "ears" coming from a TV in the other room

post #12 of 139
Wow! These are horrible in a way that I never thought possible from Apple. Yikes! Apple -- pull these down like the "Genius" batch. I never make comments here -- I think the last time was like 10 years ago -- these adds are so bad so bad I had to figure out my Appleinsider account info to share my disgust. YUCK!
post #13 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I don't know.  A whole advert to trumpet a less than 1.7mm difference in thickness?  It's kind of ridiculous isn't it?  It plays like a bad SNL satire.  

It is smaller and lighter, but instead of focussing on all the dimensions (weight, volume, etc.), they just keep turning it sideways and going "see! ... thinner!!!!"

Slightly lame if you ask me. 

Love the rest though. 

post #14 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Eh.. I really wish I could like these. I think they're better than the genius ones, but I think they're falling into the same trap. That is, I believe they're trying to be more than they need to be. Again, Apple makes amazing products that sell themselves; all they need to do is show them off, that's it.Trying to be cute is a risk they don't need to take; the attempt to be entertaining distracts from the product, and invariably isolates people who don't have the same sense of humor/cuteness. I like the panorama ad the most as well, although I sympathize most with the thumb one. Now I'm rambling, but.. If it were up to me, I would have done it differently: show a thumb, narrate: "we increased the screen on the iPhone 5 specifically to take advantage of a special tool", then cut to thumb rocking some cool features to catchy music, then tag line: 'it's amazing what one thumb can do'.

I have no issue with these and had no issue with the Genius ones (other than the issue that they generalized all staff as Geniuses). That's how opinions work.  I can like something and you can not. Just like I can think that your idea is not any better than what they did, but you think it is very much so. 

I'm just surprised that in this day and age of tivo etc they bother with doing 4 ads or even 1. They probably get more attention on blogs like this than they do actually airing 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #15 of 139
I like them. They are much better than the "I am an idiot Mac user" adds. Still a little classy...but edgy. I think it is a good mix.
post #16 of 139

I'm not hearing "snide" in the first one at all. It's got a sense of humor about the screen size. Sounded very Apple-y to me, actually.

post #17 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesf View Post

Wow! These are horrible in a way that I never thought possible from Apple. Yikes! Apple -- pull these down like the "Genius" batch. I never make comments here -- I think the last time was like 10 years ago -- these adds are so bad so bad I had to figure out my Appleinsider account info to share my disgust. YUCK!

lol @ "I never make comments here."
post #18 of 139

The physics one is completely stupid... its like they think people are idiots or something.   ... "How can it be bigger and smaller?"  its NOT!!!  its smaller in volume, and bigger in some dimensions and smaller in others... does it even take a 3rd grader to understand 3D space?

post #19 of 139

All superb. Pithy, funny, attention-grabbing, and with an attitude

Nice to see Apple getting some mojo/punch back in its advertising.

post #20 of 139

Couldn't place the voice at first, but realized its Jeff Daniels.  Will McAvoy is selling iPhones now...

post #21 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post
Again, Apple makes amazing products that sell themselves; all they need to do is show them off, that's it.Trying to be cute is a risk they don't need to take; the attempt to be entertaining distracts from the product, and invariably isolates people who don't have the same sense of humor/cuteness. 

The ads are not geared toward existing Apple users.

They seem to be squarely aimed at intriguing someone who has not tried the iPhone before.

post #22 of 139
I think they're decent.

Not sure why there's an entire ad devoted to the earPods though. I mean, talk about a minor selling point...
post #23 of 139

Swell. A lot of pissed off cats in my household over the thumb ad.

post #24 of 139

wow. these ads are extraordinarily effective in an incredibly understated/subtle way. and fresh. if you guys don't get it, you just don't recognize superb advertising when you see it.

post #25 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I think they're decent.
Not sure why there's an entire ad devoted to the earPods though. I mean, talk about a minor selling point...

You would be surprised at what simple things will sell people. They are just trying to reinforce how innovative they are.

One other minor thing, that I have seen much chatter about, is the rear mic. I think this should significantly improve the audio in video recordings. Big selling point to me...

post #26 of 139

I like them, straightforward and demonstrating benefits rather than features, which is a hallmark of Apple advertising.

The panorama feature works a hell of a lot better on my iPhone 5 than my Galaxy Nexus, where after taking the shot it "processes" it.

The iPhone reminds me very much of my Sony NEX camera except it's a lot smoother and smarter with defining the boundaries, sometimes the Sony ends up with a gray area at the edge of the shot.

I haven't even tried the headphones, they are still wrapped in the box like my iPhone 4 one's, I use canal phones I bought a few years ago.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #27 of 139
Cute commercials, as always. Too bad they didn't bring back Jeff Goldblum for these.
post #28 of 139

Hey! That's my friend Kate's new album at 17 second mark on the "Physics" ad. Need to call and tell her she's Apple famous now.

Oh, and shameless plug time: Go check her out on itunes, she's awesome.

post #29 of 139
Not bad but you know what? There's too much talking!! I like the cool, self-explanatory ads better. Leaves more for the imagination. Really, which of these ads really needed any talking at all?
post #30 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Hey! That's my friend Kate's new album at 17 second mark on the "Physics" ad. Need to call and tell her she's Apple famous now.

Oh, and shameless plug time: Go check her out on itunes, she's awesome.

I know the song Melody but I had never looked her up before. She's quite a handsome women with that Filipino and Dutch heritage.

I am wondering why her last name is Earl when she was born, presumably, as Smithson. I'm guessing married because Kate Earl doesn't seem like a stage name.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #31 of 139

Man has broom handle.  Has phone attached to broom handle and opposite end of broom handle it in his mouth.  Man has no arms.  Man uses broom handle to maneuver iPhone attached to broom handle onto his third member.  He then activates SIRI and ask SIRI to call 911.  Man saved.  SIRI has been touched in a way only an armless man could.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #32 of 139

I think these commercials kind of suck. 

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #33 of 139
Not liking these recent advertisements at all.

These are better than the genius ones, but they are very un-Appley.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #34 of 139
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (inhale) eeeeeeeeeese!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I'm not hearing "snide" in the first one at all. It's got a sense of humor about the screen size. Sounded very Apple-y to me, actually.

It's only "snide" if, like the mystery author "AppleInsider Staff" you think 5" Android phones are righteous. The rest of us are fine with the tone.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Not liking these recent advertisements at all.
These are better than the genius ones, but they are very un-Appley.
I like the Thumb idea. I like they demoed the panorama and explained the EarPods ads. I dislike the physics one.

Overall, I would say they are making them feel like they are trying to attract a dumber crowd with the way they speak to the viewer but perhaps that's needed after more than 5 year and having already attracted all the intelligent, attractive people.

post #37 of 139

Apple is desperately trying to hide iPhone5 commercial failure through massive ad campaign !       /s**2

post #38 of 139

I'm honestly impressed by these new ads. Cute, witty, a bit snide, but clearly gets the point across about whatever feature they're showing off. Well done Apple. I approve. 

EDIT: Yeah, you guys think everything sucks. 

post #39 of 139

Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, this is seriously one of my favorite Apple ads of ALL TIME. Cheeky. Fun. Creative. Cool. It makes you want the product.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 139
I'm pretty sure the "narrator" is Jeff Daniels from the awesome HBO show "The Newsroom"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Apple rolls out four new iPhone 5 ads