or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Two years from now, do you think we can expect an even larger iPhone 6?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two years from now, do you think we can expect an even larger iPhone 6?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

Two years from now, do you think we can expect a larger iphone? I assume that next year we will see the current iPhone 5 shape remain as it is, just with some refinements to the processor, cameras, improved battery life, and etc (maybe Apple store exclusive multicolored iphones). The question is do you think Apple will create a new larger iphone 6 in 2014 to sell along side the iphone 5 and iphone 4S, which would give them three great uniquely sized products to meet the needs and budgets of just about everyone possible. Or do you think that in two years Apple will be able to fit the larger iphone 5 display and innards back into the smaller iphone 4 outer dimensions (but thinner) by getting rid the physical home button and the utilization of other technological advancements?


Edited by Commodification - 9/21/12 at 11:34pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #2 of 29

Absolutely not. If the past predicts the future, then the 2013 iPhone is likely to be the iPhone 5S. 

post #3 of 29
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
Absolutely not. If the past predicts the future, then the 2013 iPhone is likely to be the iPhone 5S. 

 

So if the past predicts the future, the very next iPhone should be larger, since Apple takes ideas straight from the community without regard to their purpose or worth. 

 

But no, 4" screen for the foreseeable future (five years+). 

post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So if the past predicts the future, the very next iPhone should be larger, since Apple takes ideas straight from the community without regard to their purpose or worth. 

 

But no, 4" screen for the foreseeable future (five years+). 

You usually know what you're talking about, but thinking the iphone will remain at 4 inches for the next 5 years seems crazy. 

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #5 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
You usually know what you're talking about, but thinking the iphone will remain at 4 inches for the next 5 years seems crazy. 

 

Ri~ght… Because the best thing to do is… make it… smaller again? 


Five years. Three of which sitting and waiting while others make stupidly large 5" phones. And they choose now they make it bigger. If they were going to make it bigger than this, they would have done it now

Humans have certainly grown taller on average in the last century, and the rest of our bodies have grown proportionally, but our hands won't be growing appreciably in the… what, you want to say five years? hence. 

post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 

When it comes to the size people want their screens, we lost our sobriety a long time ago. Remember many of us buy iPhones because of their superior quality, yet many replace them annually as if they're broken or something. When there are legions of people who buy/replace a particular product based mostly on fashion and status, thinking that there isn't a huge demand for even a larger screen for an iphone is missing out on a huge opportunity.


Edited by Commodification - 9/22/12 at 7:38pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #7 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
When it comes to the size people want their screens, we lost our sobriety a long time ago. Remember many of us buy iPhones because of their superior quality, yet many replace them annually as if they're broken or something. When there are legions of people who buy/replace a particular product based mostly on fashion and status, thinking that there isn't a huge demand for even a larger screen on an iphone is missing out on a huge opportunity.

 

So that's a yes to the 9" phone idea, then.

post #8 of 29

well one things for sure is that the next iPhone will have Wifi AC. and hardware wise.... I think the iPhone release cycle will be slowed down for a bit, making iOS 7 very important for the iPhone 5... simply because iOS 6 looks and feels like iOS 3 with iCloud, Siri, and Crappy 3D Apple Maps.

 

So I expect Apple iOS Software to get better over time before they release a hardware update... if the software part isn't ready, it won't ship.

post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So that's a yes to the 9" phone idea, then.

 

From one extreme to the other, huh? If Apple keeps the screen as it is for too long, I think the brand will eventually morph into a woman centric cell phone line. Not that's entirely a bad thing if it serves a large need and demographic, but not all of us have little hands or content with the status quo.


Edited by Commodification - 9/22/12 at 6:23pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #10 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
From one extreme to the other, huh? If Apple keeps the screen as it is for too long, I think the brand will eventually morph into a woman centric cell phone line. Not that's entirely a bad thing if it serves a large need and demographic, but not all of us have little hands or content with the status quo.

 

That's downright frigging absurd, and you know it. I don't really see how a larger phone could be used one-handed. Eventually the thickness of the device becomes meaningless as the distance gained by that is mitigated by the unreachability of the size of the screen.

post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
The only absurd thing is that you believe the screen size will stay exactly the same for the next 5 years.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #12 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
The only absurd thing is that you believe the screen size will stay exactly the same for the next 5 years.

 

How silly of me. Because of the number of times the iPhone's screen size changed in the last five years, I should have been more mindful.

post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
I really don't want to see the Google Droid becoming the 'man brand' and Apple becoming 'the girl (and small handed man) brand' because Apple got stubborn on not making a larger screen for those who want it. Regardless if the larger size is for status/fashion reasons because the whole iPhone brand has become very much a fashion/ status thing.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #14 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
I really don't want to see the Google Droid becoming the 'man brand' and Apple becoming 'the girl (and small handed man) brand' because Apple got stubborn on not making a larger screen for those who want it. Regardless if the larger size is for status/fashion reasons because the whole iPhone brand has become very much a fashion/ status thing.

 

Again, this is complete nonsense. There are already women for whom the iPhone has been too small and men for whom the iPhone has been too large. A 4" iPhone is in no way too small.

post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Again, this is complete nonsense. There are already women for whom the iPhone has been too small and men for whom the iPhone has been too large. A 4" iPhone is in no way too small.

For some (not all) it is too small for genuine physical/dimensional reasons (for eye sight issues, finger/hand dexterity issues, large hands, and etc)  or for just plane nonsensical fashion ones. Americans spent billions of dollars buying stupid extra large 4X4 SUVs that never saw a day in the dirt and regardless how absurd you think a larger iphone screen might be, it will never be as bad as the Escalade buying fashionista.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #16 of 29

Why do we have to have one size only?  Apple is one of the largest companies in the world.  I think they can have support two models.  

post #17 of 29

Killing Jony Ive's sacred cow

 

Apple clearly thought long and hard about size formats before launching the iPhone. They started with a clean sheet, so didn't need to conform to category norms or expectations.  This gave Jony Ive and his team total freedom to develop the most appropriate form factor. When the iPhone launched, the shape, depth and screen size all seemed to be the product of an unrelenting search for excellence with ergonomic rigour a major factor in the design process. As Jony Ive suggested in the iPhone 5 video: he looked at the human hand and created a device that sits easily within it. Of course, there will have been people for whom it was too small or too big. But for most, I think the iPhone felt instinctively right from the moment they first picked it up. 

 

When you look at the iPhone's rise to market leadership, the size of the installed user base, with both achieved over a relatively short period of time, the inescapable conclusion is that Apple did it right. When it works so well and is universally acclaimed to do so, you don't mess with a winning formula, i.e. you don't change for the sake of change. Of course, the market thrives on change. We all want the new, new thing, so people expect Apple to innovate for the sake of innovation. We asked for a larger iPhone and we got the iPad. People asked for a smaller iPad, and soon the iPad Mini will be here. People still asked for a larger iPhone and so we got the iPhone 5 with its longer screen. 

 

It amuses me that some people have described the iPhone 5 as the iPhone 4S ii. So my question is: has Apple got this latest iteration right? Or has hubris blinkered Cupertino's finest? I love my iPhone. I love its software. I don't need it to be changed. It just works. I would still be using my IPhone 1 if Apple hadn't introduced successive models to replace it. It's like my QUERTY keyboard. I've used the standard QUERTY layout for almost 20 years. I don't want it to change. In fact, I would be appalled if it was no longer offered on any new laptop I bought, unless...    ...unless someone produced something demonstrably better.  The thing is they have, but everyone is so used to QUERTY that it has remained an absolute standard. 

 

We're all using our iPhones to do much more than we might ever have originally planned to do with them. My iPhone is much, much more than just a phone.. In fact, it is almost as if the phone function is the least important feature. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I do use my iPhone as an email device, to schedule appointments, to watch movies and TV content when I'm stuck at airports waiting for delayed flights. I do use it as an iPod. I do use it to surf the net, to do online shopping, to check data. In fact, I use it as a mini computer. Frankly, I would like more real estate. 

 

I realise that giving it a larger screen so people can use an iPhone for more than just phoning, will compromise its primary functionality, but its a trade-off I'm willing to make. I like the screen and size format of the Samsung Galaxy SIII very much. It feels good in my hand. Unfortunately, the construction lacks quality. It feels flimsy and lacking in durability. Most important of all the software lacks the elegant simplicity and easy-to-use intuitiveness of iOS. I'm not going to abandon by iPhone without a very, very good reason. However, sooner or later, someone, somewhere will come up with a breakthrough technology. Then i will switch... I'd just like the people who do this to be Apple. 

 

Ultimately, what I 'm saying is that I think screen width has become a sacred cow at Apple, but I'm not sure sure it needs to be. I also wonder whether I know what I really need or want in a phone? maybe Apple knows me better than I know myself? 

post #18 of 29

I think it will looks something like this (height of the 4s):

 

 

 

 

I would not be surprised if the 5.x / 6 handset actually gets smaller (not necessarily thinner) but maintains the screen size. But at the same time they also release a 2nd completely new larger sized version to keep people who want something bigger happy.

post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

For some (not all) it is too small for genuine physical/dimensional reasons (for eye sight issues, finger/hand dexterity issues, large hands, and etc)  or for just plane nonsensical fashion ones. Americans spent billions of dollars buying stupid extra large 4X4 SUVs that never saw a day in the dirt and regardless how absurd you think a larger iphone screen might be, it will never be as bad as the Escalade buying fashionista.


Perhaps people buy pickups and SUVs because cars no longer have the features they like. Like a full size spare. Like windshields that aren't slanted so much you can't reach and clean the bottom of the glass inside. Like roominess. There are lots of reasons other than the road surface as to why people don't buy cars.

post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post


Perhaps people buy pickups and SUVs because cars no longer have the features they like. Like a full size spare. Like windshields that aren't slanted so much you can't reach and clean the bottom of the glass inside. Like roominess. There are lots of reasons other than the road surface as to why people don't buy cars.

Genuine need for an SUV is great and I'm all for the freedom of choice even when it comes to the fashionista who cruises the streets alone in a 4X4 Hummer that will never see a dirt road. 

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ri~ght… Because the best thing to do is… make it… smaller again? 


Five years. Three of which sitting and waiting while others make stupidly large 5" phones. And they choose now they make it bigger. If they were going to make it bigger than this, they would have done it now

Humans have certainly grown taller on average in the last century, and the rest of our bodies have grown proportionally, but our hands won't be growing appreciably in the… what, you want to say five years? hence. 

Well said.

post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 

Because everyone has the same hand size, right?

 

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #23 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
Because everyone has the same hand size, right?

 

Your point being that eventually Apple will only make phones that can only be operated by basketball players?

post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Your point being that eventually Apple will only make phones that can only be operated by basketball players?

 

Point being, don't assume everyone has small hands like yourself.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #25 of 29
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post
Point being, don't assume everyone has small hands like yourself.

 

Again, pushing 6'2" with a hand span of 9.5". I don't want a 12" phone. I don't want a 5" phone. I can't use a 5" phone with one hand.

post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 

It's dumb to think a 'one size fits all' is the best solution. I'm not arguing for a Galaxy Note II size screen, just a realistically larger screen option for those of us who don't have small hands like a Chinese girls.


Edited by Commodification - 10/3/12 at 8:03pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

It's dumb to think a 'one size fits all' is the best solution. I'm not arguing for a Galaxy Note II size screen, just a realistically larger screen option for those of us who don't have small hands like a Chinese girls.

 

Why is it dumb when the population of people with hand size that iPhone is designed to fit comfortably is large enough to take up all of iPhone's production capacity several times over and then some?  Taking on the extra cost of supporting a different form factor while you still have trouble satisfying demand on the form factor you do have is what I consider dumb.

post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Apple currently makes different sized ipods, imacs, desktops, laptops, and displays, yet people want to argue for 'the one size fits all' for the iPhone.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #29 of 29

As the Droid RAZR M demonstrates, Apple ought to be able to go to a 4.3 inch display with minimal consequences for the width of the handset, and to save trouble for their software developers they could get to 4.3 inches at the current resolution and still stay just north of the 300dpi you need for a Retina claim at the distance one usually holds a phone from one's eyes.  I honestly thought Apple would consider going with 4.3 inches this time.

 

As for anything larger than 4.3, it will all depend on how much market share Apple loses to Android in larger phones.  It's not ergonomic for the hands, but, as I've discovered with my Galaxy S3, it IS ergonomic for the eyes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Two years from now, do you think we can expect an even larger iPhone 6?