or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

post #1 of 165
In addition to the $1.05 billion Apple was awarded by a jury for Samsung's patent infringement, Apple has asked the court for another $707 million in damages.

The request was revealed in a filing made late Friday by Apple and summarized by intellectual property expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. With Apple's requested enhancements, supplemental damages and prejudgment interest, the company has asked the court for $1.756 billion from Samsung.

The additional $707,061,678 comes from an extra $135 million Apple seeks under the Patent Act, $400 million under the Lanham Act, $121 million in supplemental damages, and $50 million in prejudgment interest.

The filing means that a previous report out of Korea from last week, which claimed that Apple would seek an even larger sum from Samsung, was inaccurate. Mueller said that's because Apple recognizes only some parts of the $1.05 billion in damages it was awarded by a jury are subject to enhancement.

"Apple is smart enough to know that asking for the moon without a legal basis wouldn't do any good, neither in the court of law nor in the court of public opinion," Mueller wrote. "Apple is defending its intellectual property, and not just being greedy."

Samsung

The iPhone maker has argued for the supplemental damages based on sales of Samsung devices between July 1 and the final resolution in court. The jury's damages were for the period through June 30, 2012.

Apple also believes that the payout should be increased because of Samsung's conduct, including sanctions that were given to the company for litigation-related conduct.
post #2 of 165

Wait, what happened to the $3 billion number from before?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 165
It begins again.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, what happened to the $3 billion number from before?

It indicates that the potential triple damages for willful infringement only applies to part of the $1.05B, not the whole sum.

post #5 of 165
Oh dear, made a bad career choice all those years ago.

Should have applied to study law at Stanford rather than becoming an architect here in England!
post #6 of 165
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Should have applied to study law at Stanford rather than becoming an architect

"…Strix is gettin' upset!"

Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/22/12 at 10:46am

post #7 of 165
Ouch, Apple would you stop slamming Sammy. Now ur gonna go for triple the billion dollar damages too!

Just stick to tripling in the marketplace instead. Like tripling the graphics speed of the S3 with the iPhone 5. Now hat's the kind of winning I want.
post #8 of 165
Could this round backfire on Apple?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #9 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Could this round backfire on Apple?

Please explain how.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #10 of 165
^^^^ get 'em Tallest!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 165
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
^^^^ get 'em Tallest!

See, now that they know I have a list and that we know they just copy and paste their arguments, they don't even try anymore. lol.gif

post #12 of 165
Quote:

"…Strix is gettin' upset!"

It's always been his dream to pretend to be a lawyer.   

;)

post #13 of 165
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
It's always been his dream to pretend to be a lawyer. 

"Lit… Bergman."

"Lit Bergman? Sounds made up…"

"Okay, all right. Lit… Gate. Lit I. Gate."

"Oh, yeah. That's much better.

post #14 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

When Android handset OEMs top the annual consumer satisfaction reports, then we can talk. 

Oh wait . . . they won't. Because it's really not possible to do when you're running a whored-out OS that is supposed to run on the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.

Horizontal business models always fail in the User Experience department. 

Apple actually achieves greater performance with a lot less power. Why? Because iOS and iPhone come from under the same roof. That's what happens when you actually give a shit about what you put your logo on. 

post #15 of 165
Quote:

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

The troll hole spits out yet another one.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #16 of 165
Quote:

See, now that they know I have a list and that we know they just copy and paste their arguments, they don't even try anymore. lol.gif

Must be a Samsung fan because he copied his argument.
post #17 of 165
More lawsuits? Jesus Christ. Apple doesn't need the damn money and neither does Samsung.
post #18 of 165
Quote:

Uhm excuse me Professor.  I know I got caught copying test answers from the smart kid in class, but why don't you just tell the smart kid to just keep doing better on his test scores?  That way, he'll do much better and I will too?  See?  It's a win-win for everyone!  /s

Buzz-of troll.

post #19 of 165
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
More lawsuits? Jesus Christ. Apple doesn't need the damn money and neither does Samsung.

It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

It's a shameful display. Being caught in one will either damage Samsung's honor or reveal that they don't care about honor, damaging it even more.

post #20 of 165
WINNING theomonuclear style..
post #21 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Oh dear, made a bad career choice all those years ago.
Should have applied to study law at Stanford rather than becoming an architect here in England!

So you chose a career that contributes to society, rather than destroys it?

Good for you!

post #22 of 165
I'm suffering from litigation fatigue. I know it comes with the territory, but I wouldn't hold it against AppleInsider if they decided to pass on a litigation story - lol.
post #23 of 165

Good. Apple needs to keep the pressure on. The damages don't even amount to a percentage of what Samsung has gained by slavishly and shameless aping everything it can from Apple. 

post #24 of 165
It would be nice to hear that all these billions will be spent by Apple on QC/QA and no betas or beta-like products for end users in future.
post #25 of 165
Quote:

Do you think the *whole* IOS team worked on 5?  

post #26 of 165
Originally Posted by Munas View Post
It would be nice to hear that all these billions will be spent by Apple on QC/QA and no betas or beta-like products for end users in future.

It'd be nice to hear that we're instigating a new policy that allows us to silence those who parrot anti-Apple rhetoric unquestioningly. 

Alas.

post #27 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Good. Apple needs to keep the pressure on. The damages don't even amount to a percentage of what Samsung has gained by slavishly and shameless aping everything it can from Apple. 

I'm not going to say Samsung didn't copy some things from Apple but come on don't you think enough is enough?
Quote:

It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

It's a shameful display. Being caught in one will either damage Samsung's honor or reveal that they don't care about honor, damaging it even more.

I probably wouldn't be bothered so much but I want more positive news.
post #28 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munas View Post

That's stupid. If that were necessary, they would just use some of the $120 billion in cash that they have on hand.

Since you're referring to Maps/Siri, you can throw 20 trillion at them but you'll still need data generated from users among other analytics not achievable in a lab.
Edited by Postulant - 9/22/12 at 1:44pm
post #29 of 165
Quote:

I'm not going to say Samsung didn't copy some things from Apple but come on don't you think enough is enough?

No. Should the courts stop prosecuting repeated sexual offenses for the sake of exhaustion?
post #30 of 165
Quote:

That truly is a ROFL username.

post #31 of 165
I probably wouldn't be bothered so much but I want more positive news.

This IS positive news. The only thing more positive would be confirmation of the $3 billion fine instead of just this.

post #32 of 165
Quote:

You forgot the /S after you post.

post #33 of 165
Quote:

More lawsuits?

What does "more lawsuits" have to do with this one ongoing lawsuit?

post #34 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What does "more lawsuits" have to do with this one ongoing lawsuit?

What ongoing? The matter was settled. There's just a disagreement on damages.
post #35 of 165
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
There's just a disagreement on damages.

So it's not settled. Settled will be when Apple cashes the check.

Hope they didn't just copy someone else's checkbook. 

post #36 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Ouch, Apple would you stop slamming Sammy. Now ur gonna go for triple the billion dollar damages too!
Just stick to tripling in the marketplace instead. Like tripling the graphics speed of the S3 with the iPhone 5. Now hat's the kind of winning I want.

Why not? A jury found that Samsung willfully infringed upon some of their patents. That's an important finding, and lets them seem treble damages on those elements of the damages.

The iPhone 5 shows that Apple is capable of competing in the marketplace as well as the courtroom.

post #37 of 165
Quote:

It'd be nice to hear that we're instigating a new policy that allows us to silence those who parrot anti-Apple rhetoric unquestioningly. 

Alas.

You should not be afraid of different opinions.

Personally me, I am big Apple lover, having Mac Pro, two Macbook Pros, iPhone, few iPod touch, Airport Extreme and Express, AppleTV etc...

post #38 of 165
apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more.

Yeah, you'll be gone in days.

Originally Posted by Munas View Post
Personally me, I am big Apple lover, having Mac Pro, two Macbook Pros, iPhone, few iPod touch, Airport Extreme and Express, AppleTV etc...

No one cares what you people have or pretend to have. It has nothing to do with the words you're saying. If the argument is crap on its own, no amount of "past ownership" can save you.

post #39 of 165
Quote:

Alas.

You should not be afraid of different opinions.

post #40 of 165
Quote:

Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great?

Yes.

We're talking about an OS that runs only on a closed, unlicensed platform for which the entry fee is typically $1000, vs. a universally-licensed OS that runs on every PC under under the sun, from the good, to the bad, to the downright ugly, at all price points. Not everyone can afford to play in the Apple ecosystem via a Mac. 

OS X market share and Windows market share are completely different measures, with completely different forces driving them. One is driven by consumer satisfaction and ability to pay for a certain level of User Experience. The other is driven by market flooding via universal licensing. 

Macs set the bar for the rest of the industry, and have been doing so for years, outpacing industry growth year after year, even during a recession. 

Where the rubber meets the road, 8 years running:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/20/apple-tops-u-s-pc-customer-satisfaction-survey-for-eighth-consecutive-time/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20108336-17/apple-tops-in-customer-satisfaction-for-8th-year/

Apple tops in customer satisfaction for 8th year
Once again, the company ranks first among PC makers, receiving a score of 87 out of 100 in the American Customer Satisfaction Index. HP follows in second place.

by Don Reisinger   September 19, 2011 9:02 PM PDT 
Macs reign supreme in ACSI's 2011 customer satisfaction study.

For the eighth year in a row, Apple's Macs have satisfied more customers than any other vendor's PCs.
The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), which analyzes consumer feelings toward consumer electronics and appliances, among many other products, said today that Apple's Macs received a score of 87 on the index's 100-point scale measuring customer satisfaction regarding computers. The company's satisfaction score is up 1 percentage point compared to last year's tally, and up 18 percentage points from its low in 1998. What's more, Apple's 87 is the highest mark the company has received since 1995.

"In the eight years that Apple has led the PC industry in customer satisfaction, its stock price has increased by 2,300 percent," Claes Fornell, founder of the ACSI, said in a statement. "Apple's winning combination of innovation and product diversification--including spinning off technologies into entirely new directions--has kept the company consistently at the leading edge."

The ACSI's scale is a comprehensive evaluation of customer satisfaction. According to the company, it conducts about 70,000 interviews with customers each year to determine how they feel on a host of variables, including "perceived quality," "customer expectations," and "perceived value." The company also looks at customer loyalty and complaints. The index, produced by ACSI, was founded at the University of Michigan's business school.

You suck at trolling. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung