or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung - Page 4

post #121 of 165
Well, maybe it's time to Google and Samsung, and Sony and so on sue Apple, for the notification bar copy from Android, or the panorama feature, it exist in Android, or even store apps, maybe Apple should pay to them all, or the Missing call message reply, that is on Android for some time also. Maybe Apple should pay, like 5 billion, or maybe 10 who knows! Apple lately is not doing anything good, it really seems steve Jobs was as good on the marketing as knowing what kind of features are really needed, the new Apple is just a fade shade!!!
post #122 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Well, maybe it's time to Google and Samsung, and Sony and so on sue Apple, for the notification bar copy from Android, or the panorama feature, it exist in Android, or even store apps, maybe Apple should pay to them all, or the Missing call message reply, that is on Android for some time also. Maybe Apple should pay, like 5 billion, or maybe 10 who knows! Apple lately is not doing anything good, it really seems steve Jobs was as good on the marketing as knowing what kind of features are really needed, the new Apple is just a fade shade!!!

If Google holds a design patent, or trademark, or whatever, for the notification bar... then yes... they should take Apple to court. Same for all those other features.

If they don't have patents for those things... then there's not much they can do.

Apple DID have patents on a bunch of things... and they recently took Samsung to court... and won.

Let's hope Google has similar luck in court.
post #123 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

YOUR the JOKE!!!!

You can't be serious.  

post #124 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post

Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great? apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more. U can deny it all you want but thats the truth. You have to open an app just to see most fundamental information (email, facebook status etc). You still have to go to setting, bluetooth, or wifi to toggle on or off power management. simple tasks like these can't be managed on ios. Thats why its so "smooth". Have you tried the S3? no lag what so ever, and its functional. I would take functionality over "smoothness" any day. and dont even get started with the Maps. Talk about how someone cat butcher a perfectly working software

Logic isn't your best subject.  Let's turn what you said into its converse: you mean to say that if something is great, it will, of necessity, by virtue of being great, have a higher than 7% adoption rate?  Nobody in the world needs to be a Mac lover to see the gaping hole in this argument.  I know you might feel like your arguments are equal to others simply because having a user name here means having the appearance of being a peer to others who argue here, but...you are not a peer.  You need to talk less and think more, and pay attention to some of these people.  You could learn a lot. 

Some anecdotes for you to think about:

Health is great...what percentage of people in your country are at their ideal weight?

Exercise is great...what percentage of people in your country get their doctor prescribed amount of exercise per day?

Healthy food is great...what percentage of the food in the grocery store is ideal for your health?

BMW's are fine automobiles.  What percentage of the car market do they occupy on your local interstate? 

And...are you suggesting that nobody should ever attempt to compete with google maps?  Are you suggesting that if somebody wants to compete with another company's product...it should be perfect from the get go?  So if I am creating a start-up company, I'm not allowed to enter the market unless I can demonstrate that my product is already superior?  I'm not allowed to improve?  You need to think more.

This is rudimentary level logic.  If you can't handle this level of thinking, you should probably not be making claims.

Proclaim less.  Think more.  Slow down.  Your ego is way too involved.  You aren't coming across as thoughtful or insightful.  You're coming across as insecure.

post #125 of 165

I fail to understand some posters here.

When someone wants to make a point on something against Apple, everyone calls him a troll.

When someone clearly acts as a troll (just read his username for god's sake!), you try to argue.

... :/

That said...

I hope this story soon ends and that Apple gets all the money they asked. Today I saw a guy with a white iphone on the bus. After a second I realized that it wasn't an iPhone but a blatant plastic iPhone 4 copy by samsung, like the stuff you'd expect to see in some chinese counterfeit market. I don't know which model it was, because I had never seen it before, but it's possibly worse than the Galaxy S copy of the 3GS. I fail to understand how someone can buy such a pos and not be bothered by the obvious fact that it's a copy.

post #126 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I fail to understand some posters here.

When someone wants to make a point on something against Apple, everyone calls him a troll.

When someone clearly acts as a troll (just read his username for god's sake!), you try to argue.

If some posts make a point with facts and not subject us with Apple is doomed or Apple is the root of all evil or Google is the greatest thing since sliced bread, we'll listen. If the poster makes up "facts" then he's trolling.

post #127 of 165

For those very few who have an interest in details of the remaining issues to be determined in the Apple/Samsung trial, here's a copy of Samsung's latest motion and arguments asking for a new trial as the best case, and portions of the jury's award over-ruled at the least.

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf4/ApplevSamsung-1990Samsung50and59motions.pdf

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #128 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If some posts make a point with facts and not subject us with Apple is doomed or Apple is the root of all evil or Google is the greatest thing since sliced bread, we'll listen. If the poster makes up "facts" then he's trolling.

How do you decide if the facts make a point or are made up? Some people don't care, they'll call TROLL as soon as the facts support that apple is in a bad behavior.

I'm not saying it's the case here. I think that this whole trial affair shouldn't even be discussed by people that don't have a good knowledge on law and patent law specifically.

Edited by ClemyNX - 9/23/12 at 9:26am
post #129 of 165
Quote:

Yea, their reputation took a big hit. That's why Samsung sold 20 million S3 in 100 days. 

They 'shipped' 20 million in 100 days, which, unfortunately, is not the same same as 'sold'.

But here's something that will cheer you up: Samsung has announced that S4 will go on sale in February 2013, sporting a 5-inch (Mother of God!) screen.

http://geekchunk.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-coming-out-in-februarythe-company-announces/

The first few days of iPhone sales have placed Samsung's management in such a state of terror that they've committed the worst possible mistake in consumer IT: leaking news of a model to replace an existing product, while the existing product is still on sale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

A few days later, someone regained their sanity and tried to plug the leak:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/17/tech/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s-4/index.html

Let's hope it worked, otherwise S3 shipments are about to tank.

post #130 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For those very few who have an interest in details of the remaining issues to be determined in the Apple/Samsung trial, here's a copy of Samsung's latest motion and arguments asking for a new trial as the best case, and portions of the jury's award over-ruled at the least.

Even you must realize how ridiculous Samsung's claims are. "No reasonable jury could find infringement of Apple's design patents?" Really? When Samsung's own attorneys couldn't tell the difference?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #131 of 165

The iPhone 5 brings features that Android users have already had for months/years.

/not

Google's idea of a smartphone is what the company bought when they bought Android OS in 2005: a Blackberry clone. Google's vision since 2007 has been all iPhone-inspired.

Low-power Qualcomm LTE modem... first in the iPhone 5.

Good LTE battery life with slim profile and low weight... first in the iPhone 5.

High quality display... first in the original 2007 iPhone.

Color-accurate display... first in the iPhone 5.

(Poor quality display... every AMOLED display ever sold by Samsung.)

Fluid user interface... first in the original 2007 iPhone. (Android devices need 8X memory and 4X clock speeds to achieve similar fluidity)

Far better performance than any other smartphone sold in the U.S.A., using just half the memory (thus power efficient)...  iPhone 5.

Timely OS updates across the entire product line... every iOS device ever sold.

I've already seen where Apple's iOS 6 Maps app provided better data than Google's with iOS 5. Apple has set an aggressive target for itself and I believe it will reach it.

Google has a ways to go yet.

post #132 of 165
They really need to slam Samsung even harder. Seriously the copying was so blatant that Samsung needs to hurt a lot more than they are now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Ouch, Apple would you stop slamming Sammy. Now ur gonna go for triple the billion dollar damages too!
Just stick to tripling in the marketplace instead. Like tripling the graphics speed of the S3 with the iPhone 5. Now hat's the kind of winning I want.
post #133 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The iPhone 5 brings features that Android users have already had for months/years.

/not

Google's idea of a smartphone is what the company bought when they bought Android OS in 2005: a Blackberry clone. Google's vision since 2007 has been all iPhone-inspired

Low-power Qualcomm LTE modem... first in the iPhone 5.

Good LTE battery life with slim profile and low weight... first in the iPhone 5.

High quality display... first in the original 2007 iPhone.

Color-accurate display... first in the iPhone 5.

(Poor quality display... every AMOLED display ever sold by Samsung.)

Fluid user interface... first in the original 2007 iPhone. (Android devices need 8X memory and 4X clock speeds to achieve similar fluidity)

Far better performance than any other smartphone sold in the U.S.A., using just half the memory (thus power efficient)...  iPhone 5.

Timely OS updates across the entire product line... every iOS device ever sold.

I've already seen where Apple's iOS 6 Maps app provided better data than Google's with iOS 5. Apple has set an aggressive target for itself and I believe it will reach it.

Google has a ways to go yet.

I think you're using a rather confusing and flawed logic. How can you be "inspired by" something that didn't exist or rather just being released barely some days ago, like Iphone5? Are you suggesting that Android's phone manufacturers live in a higher dimension, so that they can just time-travel whenever they like to steal Apple's future ideas? 

I don't even dare mentioning your liberal use of multipliers such as 8X and 4X which doesn't make any sense at all, unless, of course, your arithmetic is so horribly shot. To which I will suggest you start reviewing your multiplication table. 

On their own, IOS/Iphone will stand tall and show their superiority [at least presently, but in matter of months- who knows] in many aspects against their major competitors [Android/Android device manufacturers] without your help of fudging IOS/Iphone's actual numbers and facts. 

Edited by mcrs - 9/23/12 at 12:21pm
post #134 of 165
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post
How can you be "inspired by" something that didn't exist…

Ask Intel. They act as though they made chips for ultrabooks before Apple asked them to.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #135 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ask Intel. They act as though they made chips for ultrabooks before Apple asked them to.

They did. AnandTech clearly shows a snapshot of a slide showing the SFF CULV chip that would later be in the first MBA. What Intel did was design a chip that had no market and when Apple came along asking for something like that (they could have known about these chips) Intel had something for them that essentially required them to start production. Same goes for Corning and their Gorilla Glass. These aren't quite the same as Cspro's comment as Apple needed something from a vendor and they just happen to have what they were looking for. With Google, Samsung et al. it's about taking what has becoming the only design standard — not engineering feat — and using that as the basis of everything you do going forward without regard for the other guy's IP.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #136 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

I think you're using a rather confusing and flawed logic. How can you be "inspired by" something that didn't exist or rather just being released barely some days ago, like Iphone5? Are you suggesting that Android's phone manufacturers live in a higher dimension, so that they can just time-travel whenever they like to steal Apple's future ideas?

You seem to be confused by your own myopic view of smartphones.

The revolutionary iPhone was introduced in January 2007 ("And boy have we patented it!" --S. Jobs). Even the original iPhone had fluidity to its UI, fluidity which far more powerful and power-hungry Android devices of today still struggle to match.

Android was purchased by Google in 2005, and for all intents and purposes, the OS was a Blackberry clone... until the iPhone was introduced, after which all Android mock-ups and future products were iPhone-like. The Android of 2008-onward is almost entirely iPhone inspired--Apple inspired.

Since when have smartphones and tablets been featureless rectangles with rounded-corners?

Edited by Cpsro - 9/23/12 at 1:01pm
post #137 of 165
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post
Even the original iPhone had fluidity to its UI, fluidity which far more powerful and power-hungry Android devices of today still struggle to match.

Android itself is just bad code, period. And then when it's coupled with substandard (not Apple) hardware, it's an even worse experience.

I installed Android 1.6 on my first-gen iPhone. Scrolling? Terrible. Not in sync with my finger, jumpy, and buggy. Typing? Impossible. The far left and far right keys on the keyboard didn't register. You had to hit a few pixels-wide area of the screen that was actually on the keys adjacent to them, and any further in would then hit those keys.

Contrast that with iPhone OS 1.0 on the same device, even. Even there we could, literally, touch our p's and q's. lol.gif

post #138 of 165

Speaking of the original iPhone I saw a guy last week at an autograph signing and he had an original iPhone. Had some dents, well cracked screen but it still worked flawlessly and that speaks to the quality and build of Apple products and why I'll never go anywhere else for my computing/phone needs.

post #139 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Speaking of the original iPhone I saw a guy last week at an autograph signing and he had an original iPhone. Had some dents, well cracked screen but it still worked flawlessly and that speaks to the quality and build of Apple products and why I'll never go anywhere else for my computing/phone needs.

It does make me wonder about the person who would still be using that phone.

post #140 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It does make me wonder about the person who would still be using that phone.

Why? Some people refuse to subscribe to the disposable lifestyle mentality that characterizes so much of America. I know people who will use something until it no longer works or is no longer suitable for their needs. If the original iPhone still meets his needs, why should he pay money to buy a new one?

Furthermore, there's still a market for iPhone1. Obviously, there are a number of people who think they're usable.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #141 of 165
Quote:

Android itself is just bad code, period. And then when it's coupled with substandard (not Apple) hardware, it's an even worse experience.

I installed Android 1.6 on my first-gen iPhone. Scrolling? Terrible. Not in sync with my finger, jumpy, and buggy. Typing? Impossible. The far left and far right keys on the keyboard didn't register. You had to hit a few pixels-wide area of the screen that was actually on the keys adjacent to them, and any further in would then hit those keys.

Contrast that with iPhone OS 1.0 on the same device, even. Even there we could, literally, touch our p's and q's. lol.gif

Lol so that's what you're basing your opinion on Android on? You can pick up a phone cheaply especially if it has a bad ESN and play with it. I believe you'll see it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #142 of 165
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Lol so that's what you're basing your opinion on Android on?

Nope, I use this information to argue that Android code is not written specifically for any of software on which it runs, and is therefore inherently worse than iOS. I can use four years of going to stores, using Android devices as I would use my iPhone, and having the UX come up short due to these software shortcomings to create my opinion of it being absolutely terrible software.

post #143 of 165
Quote:

Nope, I use this information to argue that Android code is not written specifically for any of software on which it runs, and is therefore inherently worse than iOS. I can use four years of going to stores, using Android devices as I would use my iPhone, and having the UX come up short due to these software shortcomings to create my opinion of it being absolutely terrible software.

Trying it in a store isn't much better.
post #144 of 165
Trying it in a store isn't much better.

So using the device as it's intended to be used can't be used as evidence that it's less usable than the usage of the OS I do use daily?

post #145 of 165
Quote:

So using the device as it's intended to be used can't be used as evidence that it's less usable than the usage of the OS I do use daily?

Say that 5 times fast. I don't think that's enough time to draw a good enough conclusion.
post #146 of 165
I don't think that's enough time to draw a good enough conclusion.

All right, fair enough.

post #147 of 165
Quote:

And what do you get with a Mac Mini for $599? Not much, still need several hundred dollars worth of peripherals. Which takes us back to about $1000.

I'm sure a decent sized monitor can be had for $100. A useful, durable, if basic Logitech scroll mouse and keyboard are $15 each. Assuming you actually need to buy things you cant just use from your old computer, that total is $730. What am I missing?
post #148 of 165

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:08pm
post #149 of 165

deleted

post #150 of 165

deleted

post #151 of 165

Does money ever really change hands in these things?  I would love to see copy of that check.

post #152 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

More lawsuits? Jesus Christ. Apple doesn't need the damn money and neither does Samsung.

Please refrain from blasphemy, and I don't mean from criticizing Apple.

post #153 of 165
Quote:

Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great? apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more. U can deny it all you want but thats the truth. You have to open an app just to see most fundamental information (email, facebook status etc). You still have to go to setting, bluetooth, or wifi to toggle on or off power management. simple tasks like these can't be managed on ios. Thats why its so "smooth". Have you tried the S3? no lag what so ever, and its functional. I would take functionality over "smoothness" any day. and dont even get started with the Maps. Talk about how someone cat butcher a perfectly working software

Functionality is subjective. One person's functionality is another person's annoyance. I prefer a simple, less cluttered interface.  You prefer more information.  Why you feel anyone here cares, I don't know.  Perhaps an Android based fan site would be more receptive to your opinions.  At least you acknowledge that Apple achieves greater performance, that's the first step.

post #154 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here is what Samsung asked for in the California trial they lost, not much point in them complaining if things didn't go the way they wanted:-

CASE NO. 11-cv-01846-LHK

SAMSUNG ENTITIES' ANSWER, AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES, AND COUNTERCLAIMS TO APPLE INC.'S AMENDED COMPLAINT; AND

DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL..

...DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL

SEC [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], SEA [Samsung Electronics America, Inc.] and STA [Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC] hereby demand a jury trial on all issues.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #155 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munas View Post

It would be nice to hear that all these billions will be spent by Apple on QC/QA and no betas or beta-like products for end users in future.

Right. Apple should always just stay with the status quo and never ever change anything. See how far Microsoft, RIM and countless other companies are performing with that winning strategy.

No risk... no reward! I'm happy that at least one company out there has the fortitude and lack of fear to make changes and release industry-defining products.

BTW: funny how everyone just KNOWS what iOS 7 looks like and it's release date, and what integration Apple is planning with their "beta" software.

You might want to consider going Android. Google recently has tackled the "Stutter Bug" with the new "Jelly Bean" dance. Oh... thats version 4.1 I believe?!

On Topic: Apple should take 'em for all their worth. You went this far, make the extra effort and score the winning touchdown... do the "Dougy" after. It's just as silly as the dances above.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #156 of 165

deleted

post #157 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm sure a decent sized monitor can be had for $100. A useful, durable, if basic Logitech scroll mouse and keyboard are $15 each. Assuming you actually need to buy things you cant just use from your old computer, that total is $730. What am I missing?

How many people go that route?
post #158 of 165
Quote:

How many people go that route?

Which route? Either way, I don't really know. I've seen people buy minis at the Apple store, but not a mini + screen + mouse + keyboard.
post #159 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Which route? Either way, I don't really know. I've seen people buy minis at the Apple store, but not a mini + screen + mouse + keyboard.

How many Mac Minis does Apple sell in a year?
post #160 of 165
How many Mac Minis does Apple sell in a year?

More than they sold 17" MacBook Pros. I guess that's our only metric. If they ever decide to drop the iPod classic, we'll have yet another metric.

Neither of which having solid numbers, of course.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung