or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung - Page 2

post #41 of 165
Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post
A jury in California, 10 miles away from apple headquarter, literally apple's backyard, found samsung guilty after only 3 days. It surprised all tech journalists and experts at how quickly they were able to reach verdict. Europe, australia and other countries found samsung didn't infringe these patents. The jury is a scam. They had no idea what was going on. most courts found galaxy tab infringed iPad, yet the jury found otherwise. What a joke. 

My mistake. You'll be gone in one day at most.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #42 of 165
Quote:

Have you tried the S3? no lag what so ever, and its functional. I would take functionality over "smoothness" any day.

Here's the "stale", "form over function" iPhone:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

Most recent:

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

This one's interesting:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 

post #43 of 165
Quote:

You suck at making lame excuses to keep kneeling down to apple and defending apple at any cost. Typical fanatic. forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year. Its gonna be a niche product in a few more years, just like osx. 

When Apple is right, they're right. Even if it's *consistently*. 

Credit where credit is due. 

post #44 of 165
Quote:

You suck at making lame excuses to keep kneeling down to apple and defending apple at any cost. Typical fanatic.

The facts are sorta biased toward Apple "fanatics" these days.

Sorry. 

But please, keep posting more of your personal anecdotes. They're fun and easy to address. 

post #45 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, you'll be gone in days.

No one cares what you people have or pretend to have. It has nothing to do with the words you're saying. If the argument is crap on its own, no amount of "past ownership" can save you.

The fact that you proclaims opinions that differ from yours as a crap or you do not trust what others people say even if this is not affecting your life in any way, makes you narrow-minded.

Take a deep breath and acknowledge that in Universe may exist people that think or see things differently. "Think different" :)

post #46 of 165
Quote:

forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year. Its gonna be a niche product in a few more years, just like osx. 

That might take a while. Will you still be around when that happens?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/21/iphone_5_lines_83_longer_than_4s_8_million_sales_expected_this_weekend

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/iPhone+frenzy+sweeps+globe+with+video/7279448/story.html

post #47 of 165
Originally Posted by Munas View Post
The fact that you proclaims opinions that differ from yours as a crap or you do not trust what others people say even if this is not affecting your life in any way, makes you narrow-minded.

Unless they're just wrong, of course. 

post #48 of 165
Quote:

Take a deep breath and acknowledge that in Universe may exist people that think or see things differently. "Think different" :)

And they can *still* be uninformed, and likely in denial. 

Jim Ballsilie and his co-CEO *also* saw things "differently." Sanjay Jha in 2007 also saw things differently. 

You can't use the "different strokes for different folks" idea as an excuse for stupid. 

post #49 of 165
Quote:

Unless they're just wrong, of course. 

If one thinks that oranges are not tasty, is he wrong or right? Neither, I believe - it is just an opinion.

post #50 of 165
If one thinks that oranges are not tasty, is he wrong or right? Neither, I believe - it is just an opinion.

Why are pretending objective fact is a subjective argument? It stops being an opinion if it's something that flies in the face of objectivity. You can say, "In my opinion, the sky is green." But that's not an opinion. That's just plain wrong. 

post #51 of 165
Quote:

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

Wise up, it is precisely the lack of innovation by Samsung that has led to Apple's litigation to protect their innovation. Rather than berate Apple you should be having a go at Samsung for themselves copying rather than innovating. Further you seem to have neglected that Apple has brought under the hood innovation by designing their own SoC which allows them to run a dual core faster than Samsung's quad.

Don't drop your Galaxy S3

post #52 of 165
Quote:

My mistake. You'll be gone in one day at most.

You know, on this site, as well as on other various ones I come, I used to be upset by trolls, but this is no longer the case, because I feel they are so pathetic that they contribute to give the site a welcomed humoristic touch. So, instead of banning them, I think you should score them, and periodically grant a "Best troll contest award"....

post #53 of 165
Quote:

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

post #54 of 165
Quote:

Europe, australia and other countries found samsung didn't infringe these patents. 

The court cases are ongoing in Australia, Germany and other countries in Europe, your statement is plain wrong.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #55 of 165
Quote:

Why are pretending objective fact is a subjective argument? It stops being an opinion if it's something that flies in the face of objectivity. You can say, "In my opinion, the sky is green." But that's not an opinion. That's just plain wrong. 

... unless I am wearing green glasses :)

and if to return to the very beginning of this discussion where I said "It would be nice to hear that..." firstly it sounds more like my wish. Do you really think that "Apple releases beta-like products to end users = the sky is green? 

post #56 of 165

Do you really think that "Apple releases beta-like products to end users = the sky is green? 

Only when the statement of the former half isn't the case.

post #57 of 165
Quote:

It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

It's a shameful display.

Indeed, Samsung should be ashamed of the awful color rendition of its AMOLED displays!

Discriminating babies choose AMOLED. Everyone else with any taste chooses IPS.

post #58 of 165
Quote:

Only when the statement of the former half isn't the case.

Ok. In what from what I said in very first post of this thread you do not agree and think it is crap, in particular?

post #59 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The court cases are ongoing in Australia, Germany and other countries in Europe, your statement is plain wrong.

Not only that, but Motorola just got found guilty of infringing the rubberbanding patent last week in Germany. So clearly other countries find Apple patents valid. I guess Samsung hasn't been tested on that one in court yet in Germany. Only a matter of time.
post #60 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We're talking about an OS that runs only on a closed, unlicensed platform for which the entry fee is typically $1000, vs. a universally-licensed OS that runs on every PC under under the sun, from the good, to the bad, to the downright ugly, at all price points. Not everyone can afford to play in the Apple ecosystem via a Mac. 

It's really rather annoying when people keep throwing out the "$1,000 entry fee" claim. That's not true. You can buy a Mac Mini for $599 - and even less if you're OK with refurbished or a student or faculty member.

The Mac Mini is a perfectly functional computer - I use a 3 year old Mini as my server and second computer and it works fine. It's considerably faster than the 6 year old MBP that I use as my main computer.
Quote:

A jury in California, 10 miles away from apple headquarter, literally apple's backyard, found samsung guilty after only 3 days. It surprised all tech journalists and experts at how quickly they were able to reach verdict. Europe, australia and other countries found samsung didn't infringe these patents. The jury is a scam. They had no idea what was going on. most courts found galaxy tab infringed iPad, yet the jury found otherwise. What a joke. 

First, your 'facts' are wrong. Apple has won a number of cases overseas.

Second, maybe no one explained it to you, but Europe consists of a bunch of sovereign countries and Australia and North Korea are also sovereign countries. Each country makes its own patent laws and what happens in the UK is not particularly relevant to what happens here - because the patents are different and the laws are different. For example, it is forbidden by statute to have a software patent in some countries - so Apple losing a patent case for software in those cases is completely irrelevant to the question of whether Samsung copied or not.

Furthermore, anyone with even a shred of honesty has to admit that Samsung copied Apple. Listen to the court testimony when Samsung admitted it. And the multiple documents where Samsung made intentional efforts to copy Apple's products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

YOUR the JOKE!!!!

At least the joke probably knows grammar at least as well as a third grader - unlike you.
Quote:

You should not be afraid of different opinions.

I'm certainly not afraid of different opinions.

I am, however, disgusted by the endless lies and drivel posted by the Apple haters on this forum.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #61 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Wise up, it is precisely the lack of innovation by Samsung that has led to Apple's litigation to protect their innovation. Rather than berate Apple you should be having a go at Samsung for themselves copying rather than innovating. Further you seem to have neglected that Apple has brought under the hood innovation by designing their own SoC which allows them to run a dual core faster than Samsung's quad.

Don't drop your Galaxy S3

Can you link the test where the iphone dual core "runs faster" than a QUAD core s3? Thanx
post #62 of 165
Quote:

It has nothing to do with the words you're saying. If the argument is crap on its own, no amount of "past ownership" can save you.

Hear, hear!

post #63 of 165
Quote:

forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year.

Mobile/Tablet Top Operating System Share Trend

MONTH IOS ANDROID JAVA ME BLACKBERRY SYMBIAN OTHER
August, 2011 53.04% 15.98% 20.57% 3.33% 6.21% 0.88%
September, 2011 54.65% 16.26% 18.52% 3.29% 6.12% 1.16%
October, 2011 61.50% 18.86% 12.81% 2.48% 3.47% 0.90%
November, 2011 54.04% 16.70% 19.69% 3.18% 5.27% 1.12%
December, 2011 52.10% 16.15% 21.27% 3.51% 5.76% 1.20%
January, 2012 53.65% 18.12% 19.19% 2.59% 5.20% 1.24%
February, 2012 60.59% 19.02% 14.16% 2.15% 2.77% 1.32%
March, 2012 59.87% 18.66% 15.10% 2.21% 2.77% 1.40%
April, 2012 63.19% 19.27% 11.83% 2.04% 2.24% 1.42%
May, 2012 62.65% 19.69% 12.17% 2.09% 1.86% 1.54%
June, 2012 65.27% 19.73% 10.22% 1.87% 1.49% 1.42%
post #64 of 165
I'd love to have a company that only makes worthless niche products no one likes and yet at the same time has massive lines, has all the media attention, best ratings, highest profit, highest revenue, and is the most valuable company in the world.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #65 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

At least the joke probably knows grammar at least as well as a third grader - unlike you.

Oh, I thought he was making a pun on the word "you're".

post #66 of 165

Apple is going to go for the maximum penalty not because they need it for anything, not because they feel Samsung is competing with them, but because they are making an EXAMPLE out of Samsung.  

Apple innovated and many companies copied them.  Apple patented their designs, not just rectangles and rounded corners, but their DESIGNS.  If you copy their DESIGNS, expect to be sued and expect to lose.  

Apple may not get a penny from Samsung and certainly doesn't need the money, but it should serve as a deterrent to other companies designing phones.

post #67 of 165

Enough, is Enough !!!!!!!!!!  Stop the greedy machine !!!!!!!!!!!  Keep making good hardware , phone, music players and that will give enough dough for centuries to come !!!!!  I know they already learned what patent means !!!!  

Peace

Edited by divini - 9/22/12 at 3:56pm
post #68 of 165
Originally Posted by divini View Post
Enough, is Enough !!!!!!!!!!  Stop the greedy machine !!!!!!!!!!!  Keep making good hardware , phone, music players and that will give enough dough for centuries to come !!!!!  I know they already learned what patents means !!!!  

Peace

"Peace… no peace… "

"Is that glass bulletproof?"

"No, sir."

post #69 of 165
Quote:

You suck at making lame excuses to keep kneeling down to apple and defending apple at any cost. Typical fanatic. forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year. Its gonna be a niche product in a few more years, just like osx. 

And?

There's nothing wrong with niche.
post #70 of 165
Quote:

It's really rather annoying when people keep throwing out the "$1,000 entry fee" claim. That's not true. You can buy a Mac Mini for $599 - and even less if you're OK with refurbished or a student or faculty member.
The Mac Mini is a perfectly functional computer - I use a 3 year old Mini as my server and second computer and it works fine. It's considerably faster than the 6 year old MBP that I use as my main computer.
First, your 'facts' are wrong. Apple has won a number of cases overseas.
Second, maybe no one explained it to you, but Europe consists of a bunch of sovereign countries and Australia and North Korea are also sovereign countries. Each country makes its own patent laws and what happens in the UK is not particularly relevant to what happens here - because the patents are different and the laws are different. For example, it is forbidden by statute to have a software patent in some countries - so Apple losing a patent case for software in those cases is completely irrelevant to the question of whether Samsung copied or not.
Furthermore, anyone with even a shred of honesty has to admit that Samsung copied Apple. Listen to the court testimony when Samsung admitted it. And the multiple documents where Samsung made intentional efforts to copy Apple's products.
I'm certainly not afraid of different opinions.
I am, however, disgusted by the endless lies and drivel posted by the Apple haters on this forum.

And what do you get with a Mac Mini for $599? Not much, still need several hundred dollars worth of peripherals. Which takes us back to about $1000.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #71 of 165
Quote:

That is the *only* Mac for less than $1000 and it's not even a laptop. Not even an iMac. All the growth is in laptops and mobiles. One Mac that costs $599 in a limited, lean lineup of machines that are full of *other* form factors that are very much in demand, almost doesn't even count. For all intents and purposes, the entry fee *is* at least $1000. Most people buy new macs, not refurbs or other Macs available through "special" means.

Do you really think the Mini is a big seller in Apple's lineup, even with that price tag? Hardly. It's all about laptops and to a lesser extent, iMacs.

Edited by Quadra 610 - 9/22/12 at 4:34pm
post #72 of 165
Quote:

And you call people here fanatics? If you believe what you're saying, you're fucking dellusional. Yes, iOS is going to become a "niche" product after the iPhone is selling anywhere from 5-8 million units in its 1st weekend of the latest "pathetic and outdated" version, and when each new phone continues to sell more than all previous generations combined. Not to forget iPad, which even slobbering trolls like you have to admit completely dominates the tablet space in all aspects. Meanwhile, Macs continue to smash their own sales records quarter after quarter, and have outgrown the PC industry for the past several years. But yeah, iPhone will magically become "niche" next month or something, the same thing foaming at the mouth Apple hating, rabid trolls like you have been saying since the iPhone 1st debuted, and yet every time it simply smashes all previous metrics of success and continues to skyrocket. Strange how people like you don't actually spend time, oh I don't know, enjoying/using your phones or the products you like, instead of signing up to forums dedicated to products/companies you despise simply to troll and spread bullshit. The thought has never occured to me to sign up to sites dedicated to products I don't like simply to bash those products. What a pathetic, empty life you must lead to be compelled to do this. 

post #73 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what do you get with a Mac Mini for $599? Not much, still need several hundred dollars worth of peripherals. Which takes us back to about $1000.

Quote:

That is the *only* Mac for less than $1000 and it's not even a laptop. Not even an iMac. All the growth is in laptops and mobiles. One Mac that costs $599 in a limited, lean lineup of machines that are full of *other* form factors that are very much in demand, almost doesn't even count. For all intents and purposes, the entry fee *is* at least $1000. Most people buy new macs, not refurbs or other Macs available through "special" means.

Do you really think the Mini is a big seller in Apple's lineup, even with that price tag? Hardly. It's all about laptops and to a lesser extent, iMacs.

That may be true, but it's still false to say that the entry entry for Apple is $1,000. Most people have a monitor and keyboard around, but if they don't, you can get workable ones for $100 or so.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #74 of 165

This guy is why we need to fix the education system.

By the way, if Google is God, then God needs to put a bit more work into the following creations:

Google Wave

Google Buzz

Google+

ChromeOS

Okurt

Google Answers

Dodgeball

Google knol

Google Page Creator

Google Audio Ads

Google Video Player

Google Print Ads

WebM

Best of luck with the Nexus tablet, 'God'.

post #75 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Could this round backfire on Apple?

Contrary to what some critics and trolls would have you believe this is not the least bit damaging to Apple's public image. As has been pointed out this is all about sending a message to would be copycats that Apple intends to make their lives as miserable as possible if they choose to copy rather than compete. Recent ads by Samsung, Motorola, and Nokia indicate to me that this is getting under their skins big time and they are starting to lash out wildly in desperation. Maybe the jury verdict will be overturned, maybe not. Except for the cultist trolls who worship them Samsung's reputation has taken a big hit. I haven't heard a single person in my personal sphere, tech or otherwise, who doesn't believe Apple is just protecting its innovations from cheap knock-off copycats.

post #76 of 165
Quote:

After the first round of court cases... Apple pre-sold 2 million iPhone 5 in 24 hours.

Now estimates are that Apple will sell 8 million iPhone 5 this first weekend.

So no... I don't think this next round of court cases will affect Apple.

I really don't think the buying public are that interested in courtroom drama.
post #77 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And you call people here fanatics? If you believe what you're saying, you're fucking dellusional. Yes, iOS is going to become a "niche" product after the iPhone is selling anywhere from 5-8 million units in its 1st weekend of the latest "pathetic and outdated" version, and when each new phone continues to sell more than all previous generations combined. Not to forget iPad, which even slobbering trolls like you have to admit completely dominates the tablet space in all aspects. Meanwhile, Macs continue to smash their own sales records quarter after quarter, and have outgrown the PC industry for the past several years.

Unless the earth opens up and swallows Cupertino, this decade truly belongs to Apple. We've only seen the tip of the Apple iceberg for the past few years. 

post #78 of 165
Quote:

How? The world, yet again, is in the grip of Apple-mania. Consumers don't care about the ins and outs of patent litigation. It's all about the goods. And Apple's got em. 

post #79 of 165
Quote:

It's all about the goods. And Apple's got em.

Ain't that the truth.

And you know what they say:

"An Apple court case a day, keeps the doctoring away."

post #80 of 165
Quote:

It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

It's a shameful display. Being caught in one will either damage Samsung's honor or reveal that they don't care about honor, damaging it even more.

Oh you mean like how the jury was self proclaimed "sending a message" instead of doing their job properly? Tallest you should give up being an apologist for Apple because they are starting to teeter a dangerous line.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung