or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google Maps app from iOS 5.1 reportedly ported onto iOS 6

Google Maps app from iOS 5.1 reportedly ported onto iOS 6

post #1 of 34
A hacker claims to have successfully ported the now defunct Google Maps iOS app to Apple's iOS 6, however the workaround is unstable and requires a jailbroken iPhone.

In a tweet on Saturday, Ryan Petrich said that he was able to get the iOS 5.1 version of Google Maps up and running on the recently released iOS 6, which eschewed the search giant's service for a proprietary Apple solution.

Google Maps on iOS 6
Source: @rpetrich via Twitter

Petrich showed off the solution In a corresponding video, however did not divulge the details as to how he was able to port the app over to the new operating system.

From the YouTube description:

Preview of the old Google Maps application from iOS5.1 and earlier running on an iPhone 3G S updated to iOS 6.0

Still crashy and cannot be distributed to the public yet, but it mostly works 1smile.gif

In a round of follow-up tweets, the hacker confirmed a jailbreak is required to make the legacy Google Maps app functional in iOS 6, and while he would like to release a public version, Petrich is not expected to do so anytime soon.
post #2 of 34
What complainers. Use maps.google.com. What is wrong with that? The Apple maps are great. Now all of you idiots just STFU and go home. Sit down to your PC and Galaxy SIII, pretend to have a Mac and iPhone and be disappointed in the new shit.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

What complainers. Use maps.google.com. What is wrong with that? The Apple maps are great. Now all of you idiots just STFU and go home. Sit down to your PC and Galaxy SIII, pretend to have a Mac and iPhone and be disappointed in the new shit.

I agree with the first part. maps.google.com works very well in the interim especially for transit directions, however, some people are still upset about Street View being unavailable, although, I am not among that group. I never really used Street View on my iPhone anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #4 of 34
I'm almost completely over the removal of Google Maps from iOS, to be honest.

I used iOS Maps quite a bit today and it performed well. It did the job.

There's so much to like in iOS, that I almost don't miss Google Maps at all.
post #5 of 34

With all the indignant self-righteous "outrage", I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times so far to find shit, and not once has it let le down. But hey, clearly the product is an "unmitigated disaster" and "complete garbage" because it does not have 100% of the data that Google has, who has been building up their maps for the past 10+ years and crowd-sourcing the data from hundreds of millions of people. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months. I predict they will release their own maps app for OSX even, and have everything between them synced to the cloud. All Apple would have done if they delayed the launch is further strengthened Google's position with tens of millions of new users, while weakening their own future prospects. 

post #6 of 34
I have been using a free app called streetviewer to utilize google streetview. That, coupled with a maps.google.com shortcut on my home screen, has got me wondering what the hell the big deal is about. Apple maps has worked flawlessly for me thus far. I travel a good bit, so I never rely on one map source regardless.
post #7 of 34
Quote:

Plenty. It does not integrate with any of the other native apps (Calendar. Address Book, Reminders), you can not save pins on your phone, you can not add locations directly to contacts, you have to enable Location Services for Safari, your current position updates are extremely delayed since they are done remotely rather than locally and don't take advantage of the accelerometer, magnetometer, and gyroscope on top of being a lot more susceptible to network signal issues than the native app. Google Maps on the web is only useful for those who don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

With all the indignant self-righteous "outrage", I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times so far to find shit, and not once has it let le down. But hey, clearly the product is an "unmitigated disaster" and "complete garbage" because it does not have 100% of the data that Google has, who has been building up their maps for the past 10+ years and crowd-sourcing the data from hundreds of millions of people. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months. I predict they will release their own maps app for OSX even, and have everything between them synced to the cloud. All Apple would have done if they delayed the launch is further strengthened Google's position with tens of millions of new users, while weakening their own future prospects.

Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone, or even for anyone else, so your generalization from your personal experience is completely wrong. As to why Apple's service sucks doesn't really matter, as a customer I am not supposed to care; they ditched a service that worked well for one that is clearly subpar, that's all that matters to me. Fortunately I didn't miss the downgrade window, so I still have proper maps.
post #8 of 34
Never mind.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #9 of 34
Quote:

How useful.  Apple will be...

What about now?

What about the quality of hte product now.  "Just you wait, it will be grand" 

Thats the same garbage people said about WP7

Apple maps is ok, unless you are actually looking for something.  But hey, dont worry about the baked in apps, why not go to the webpage maps.google.com  that will make everything better.  Nothing says "Easy to use and full of features you use everyday" like using a webpage to replace the half-baked in-built apps

I have used it each time I went out over the weekend.  Each time, it could not find the business that I was looking for, it even struggled to find the addresses for some things.  Once I got it pointed in the right direction, the turn by turn ran nicely..  even if it did pick weird routes, it rapidly recalculated once I went my own way.  The weird parts of hte new app is that some of the little things taht apple included in the last maps app (the front end, not googles input) have dissapeared - You used to  beable to click to the contacts list and grab an address from a contactee, but that seems to have gone.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #10 of 34
Vaelian I agree with you 100% on your reply.
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Vaelian I agree with you 100% on your reply.

Orly?
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #12 of 34
Quote:

It's 100 times faster because it has 1000 times less stuff in it's database.  If it will be a juggernaut in a year to 18 months then why not wait till it's finished to release it instead of releasing it half-baked.

Quote:

Wow, what a me-centric point of view.  I don't mind using google.com but the fact of the matter is this product wasn't ready and shouldn't have been made the default.  It is unusable.  I live in Hong Kong, one of the places that gets the iphone 5 in the initial launch and Apple Maps is pathetic here.  Instead of releasing its own maps, maybe they could have spent more time on Siri and getting that up and running in more locations around the world.

post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Apple maps is ok, unless you are actually looking for something.  But hey, dont worry about the baked in apps, why not go to the webpage maps.google.com  that will make everything better.  Nothing says "Easy to use and full of features you use everyday" like using a webpage to replace the half-baked in-built apps

The world is an amazingly vast place. For every flaw, every missing business others seem to find, they somehow manage to miss the 100s of millions of other businesses, locations, towns and lakes that one can find. Those reminiscing about Google maps conveniently forget that Google maps remain far from perfect today.

post #14 of 34

If Apple didn't absolutely control what we can put on our iPhone's (which I don't normally mind), this guy getting the Google data based Map App up and running on iOS 6 would only be a week or two (of figuring out what else he needs to get it to run correctly) from being an instant multi-millionaire (assuming he sold the fix for $0.99 in the App Store)....ah well.

Nice to see it running on 6 - obviously Apple could put it back on (at least for the rest of the year if the license expires with 2012) if it wanted to.  Begs the question of what folks think will happen, will Apple just tell everyone to tough it out (its initial reaction), particularly with regards to the international customers where its really rough) or will they do something else?

post #15 of 34
Quote:

. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months.

Funny, isn't that same arguments spewed mindlessly about Windows phone and Android tablets? lol.giflol.gif Anything can happen tomorrow, what are you doing NOW. You're also assuming the 7000 member Google Map team is standing still at the same time. What about when Google Maps returns to iOS? Apple will have less people to crowd source from. First impressions are important and frankly Apple botched that one. 

I don't see people as mindlessly attacking Apple's er, Tom Tom's maps. Sure the anti-Apple crowd is having fun with it as fodder, but there's mountains of legitimate complaints and ample proof to support them. Apple did a wonderful job with the interface, integration and turn by turn. However they fell short on the actual data. This weekend alone I'm about 60% on finding the usual places. If that's unscientifically me, I'm sure others are in a similar spot.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

The world is an amazingly vast place. For every flaw, every missing business others seem to find, they somehow manage to miss the 100s of millions of other businesses, locations, towns and lakes that one can find. Those reminiscing about Google maps conveniently forget that Google maps remain far from perfect today.

Just because Google isn't perfect doesn't mean it isn't better than Apple's maps. Google has THE mapping service to beat.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikbmwkid View Post

I have been using a free app called streetviewer to utilize google streetview. That, coupled with a maps.google.com shortcut on my home screen, has got me wondering what the hell the big deal is about. Apple maps has worked flawlessly for me thus far. I travel a good bit, so I never rely on one map source regardless.

Thanks for the tip on the Streetviewer app.  That will substitute the loss of Street View in the Apple Map app.  I will wait for the 1.8 update which will allow you to switch to google maps.  I also do a lot of field work for my job and the Street View was a vital feature.  GPS can get you to a location, but having the Street View to view a building or house or the location for public parking is vital.  For those that are being rude and telling people to shut the hell up, they obviously don't use the map app, so they are just trolling.  I downgraded back to 5.1.1 because Apple Map is inferior to Google Map.  No one should have to wait two years for Apple to get it right.  The satellite view is mostly low resolution, where Google was high resolution in the same areas.  The flyover feature is pointless, unless you fly a helicopter wherever you go.  Who does that?  No one.  The funniest comment was "Google took 10 years to get it right, so Apple will get it right in 18 months."  So, 18 months to do 10 years of work?  Laughable.  How about using 10 years of researched data and getting it right the first time?  Apple usually released a product that beat the competition.  This time, they released a map that is severely lacking in features compared to what it replaced.  But that was the result of the corporate fight between Apple and Google.  Even Walt Mossberg said the new Apple Maps falls short, even after they spent years developing it.  But I guess some people in this forum still won't understand that.

post #18 of 34

I hope those guys bring their Google car with them! lol.gif

post #19 of 34
I personally worked on the maps project for 2 years with google, it's come a long way since then..apple maps will improve give it time..
White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

... Apple usually released a product that beat the competition.  This time, they released a map that is severely lacking in features compared to what it replaced.  But that was the result of the corporate fight between Apple and Google.  Even Walt Mossberg said the new Apple Maps falls short, even after they spent years developing it.  But I guess some people in this forum still won't understand that.

Why don't you blame Google for not having its maps on the iPhone? Google could have anticipated this and released a standalone maps app for the iPhone (iOS6).

In this way Google leaves its customers in the cold and forgets to seize the opportunity to beat Apple with a 'better' app.

J.

Edited by jnjnjn - 9/24/12 at 2:40am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Apple's Maps can't even find my street despite the fact that it's charted right there on the map. I'm sorry but there is no way a mapping service can suck any more than that, search is basic functionality, and if it doesn't work right it makes the entire service unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Why don't you blame Google for not having its maps on the iPhone? Google could have anticipated this and released an standalone maps app for the iPhone (iOS6).
In this way Google leaves its customers in the cold and forgets to seize the opportunity to beat Apple with a 'better' app.

J.

Several reasons, really. I'm an Apple customer, not a Google customer, so Google is not required to serve me (just like Apple is not required to serve FaceTime or iMessage on other platforms and chooses not do tho so); I couldn't care less about who provides the Maps app with data, so long as the quality of service is maintained (it wasn't, in this case); and Google didn't stop offering the service (as evidenced by the fact that I can still make use of it on iOS 5.1.1).
post #22 of 34
I always found the maps on the iPhone fun to mess around with for 5 minutes but I always fallback to the co-pilot satnav app which always gets me to my destination without a hitch.

Google may have more POI's but when their POI's are in the wrong place they become pointless. For example, the Apple Maps have the correct location for our local CEF but google has it 3 doors down from me on my street? wtf.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleljj View Post

It's 100 times faster because it has 1000 times less stuff in it's database.  If it will be a juggernaut in a year to 18 months then why not wait till it's finished to release it instead of releasing it half-baked.

So you would have been happy with no Maps at all, right?

Because there was no way that Apple was going to sign another contract with Google for anything, including maps. Period.

The reasons why doesn't matter, considering we don't know the details of what Google was asking for in the new contract, and I doubt we ever will... other than...possibly, Apple is going to go thermonuclear on Google next.

Before the media was centered on poo-pooing the new iPhone 5 and iOS6, there were a few articles around the net that were suggesting that very scenario.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #24 of 34
A couple of further observations:

1) Considering that: you need(ed) to have a cellular internet connection to use Google Maps, how would you ever use it for turn-by-turn navigation? What about so-called "black holes" where no reception is possible? That's why I use a real navigation app here in Germany (GPS Navigation 2 - inexpensive at only €7,00)

2) So now that an internet connection is necessary to use either Apple's or Google's maps: which one uses more of your data volume set by your carrier?

3) Could Apple at some point in time offer Maps to be downloaded to be used without an internet connection? As someone else mentioned, could they integrate Maps and location services in Mac OSX or create a maps app for that on Macs? Biggest question: would they have ever been able to do that using Google's maps?

I will not be surprised in the least if Apple has bigger plans for maps than most people can imagine.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Several reasons, really. I'm an Apple customer, not a Google customer, so Google is not required to serve me (just like Apple is not required to serve FaceTime or iMessage on other platforms and chooses not do tho so); I couldn't care less about who provides the Maps app with data, so long as the quality of service is maintained (it wasn't, in this case); and Google didn't stop offering the service (as evidenced by the fact that I can still make use of it on iOS 5.1.1).

Your right if you mean that Google didn't create the excellent maps app (Apple did) and that Google isn't required to make a native app for iOS.

But your mistaken about not being a Google customer, because you did use Googles data and map layout and you probably use Googles search also.

Probably Apple did pay Google for its maps data so in this way its part of the product and you are even a paying Google customer.

If Google didn't allow search on iOS you can search via Yahoo (etc) but your experience would be degraded seriously, but in your case thats ok, because your not a Google customer?

J.

post #26 of 34
Quote:

But your mistaken about not being a Google customer, because you did use Googles data and map layout and you probably use Googles search also.

That doesn't make me a customer. At most it makes Apple a customer. My use of the search service doesn't make me a customer either, quite the opposite, it makes me an asset.to the real customers (the advertisers).
Quote:

Probably Apple did pay Google for its maps data so in this way its part of the product and you are even a paying Google customer.
If Google didn't allow search on iOS you can search via Yahoo (etc) but your experience would be degraded seriously, but in your case thats ok, because your not a Google customer?

J.

Who Apple subcontracts to get the job done is not my concern because it's not my choice.
post #27 of 34

Google are reportedly working on a separate app to be submitted to the app store. It should be interesting to watch Apple's reaction to this.

post #28 of 34
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Google are reportedly working on a separate app to be submitted to the app store. It should be interesting to watch Apple's reaction to this.

That hasn't been confirmed. If they were, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, trying to make the reaction to Apple's Maps even worse. They haven't been.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That hasn't been confirmed. If they were, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, trying to make the reaction to Apple's Maps even worse. They haven't been.

I did say "reportedly", not "confirmed". I rather doubt that Google would be "shouting it from the rooftops" if it were not ready to go. If and when Google submit the app for approval, it will be interesting to see what stance Apple take.

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleljj View Post

Are you that thick? What part of 'a mapping app can't be fully incubated in a lab and needs to be released to really get better' don't you understand? It can never be released "fully baked". My God, can't believe the concept is so difficult for some of you to grasp, and shows how little you understand about whats involved in mapping and the complexities. Google maps was complete garbage when it first came out, a thousands times worse than Apple maps. Do you honestly think that if Google kept maps in the lab and released it today, without the feedback of hundreds of millions of users from the past 10 years, we would be looking at anywhere NEAR the same product? Obviously not. 

It was absolutely the right thing for Apple to do what it did, otherwise it would have been completely handcuffed in maps without the ability to significantly improve the app, and being dictated to by Google, its biggest competitor. I don't understand how people like you don't understand the magnitude of a problem like that. 

post #31 of 34
@slurpy

Perhaps you live an area where Apple’s data is OK. In my area (Moscow) it is so poor that it is unusable. There are no building outlines and numbers at all. Many points of interest are in the wrong places. Some subway stations are missing. It’s a disaster.

Don’t get me wrong, I am as excited as you are about Apple re-inventing mapping. And I love the app — real-time text-on-a-path layout, fonts, colors, beautiful placemark icons — lots of tiny details that are just right. But I can’t use it since the data in my area is junk.

What’s especially troubling is that high-quality data is actually available from third parties. It’s just that Apple has chosen not to buy it. For many locations in the world they have instead purchased some strange low-quality datasets with extremely bizarre errors (like streets named “abc”). It’s almost like they had no choice but to push it out now.
post #32 of 34
Originally Posted by yakovlev View Post
@slurpy
Perhaps you live an area where Apple%u2019s data is OK. In my area (Moscow) it is so poor that it is unusable. There are no building outlines and numbers at all. Many points of interest are in the wrong places. Some subway stations are missing. It%u2019s a disaster.
Don%u2019t get me wrong, I am as excited as you are about Apple re-inventing mapping. And I love the app %u2014 real-time text-on-a-path layout, fonts, colors, beautiful placemark icons %u2014 lots of tiny details that are just right. But I can%u2019t use it since the data in my area is junk.
What%u2019s especially troubling is that high-quality data is actually available from third parties. It%u2019s just that Apple has chosen not to buy it. For many locations in the world they have instead purchased some strange low-quality datasets with extremely bizarre errors (like streets named %u201Cabc%u201D). It%u2019s almost like they had no choice but to push it out now.

… From where did you post that apostrophes aren't correct?

post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… From where did you post that apostrophes aren't correct?

I’ve posted from the “Add Your Comment” text field at the bottom of the article page (new design). I’ve also noticed that comments do not appear immediately when posting from there—looks like the page cache is not being refreshed.

post #34 of 34
Originally Posted by yakovlev View Post
I’ve posted from the “Add Your Comment” text field at the bottom of the article page (new design).

Thanks for that; I'll pass it along.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google Maps app from iOS 5.1 reportedly ported onto iOS 6