or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Riot reported at Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn's iPhone 5 plant [ux2]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Riot reported at Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn's iPhone 5 plant [ux2]

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
Reports of a "mass disturbance" at Foxconn's Taiyuan factory surfaced early Monday local China time, with the purported 2,000-person riot having caused damage to the plant's infrastructure.

The first reports came in late Saturday night through the Sina Weibo micro-blogging service, showing pictures of police clad in riot gear fending off large groups of people in and around Foxconn's plant, reports Engadget.

What sparked the disturbance is still unknown, however unofficial reports point to a worker being hit by a Foxconn guard at around 10 p.m. on Sunday, local time. The resulting riot was also said to include 2,000 people, however that too has yet to be confirmed.

Chinese censors are already removing pictures and video of the incident from the internet.

In a report earlier this month, a Chinese reporter supposedly went undercover inside the Taiyuan factory to experience the facility's working and living conditions first hand, and found that the plant was responsible for the fabrication of "uni-body" backplates used in Apple's latest iPhone 5.



Update: According to Reuters, a Foxconn official said the incident was in fact a fight between workers from different production lines.

"The fight is over now ... we're still investigating the cause of the fight and the number of people involved," said Foxconn spokesman Louis Woo. He went on to say the company will release a statement regarding the matter later on Monday.

Update 2: Foxconn has reportedly shut down the Taiyuan factory due to the disturbance which reportedly injured 40 people.
post #2 of 77

Maybe this is why some of the iPhone 5s are nicked and scratched. Maybe they were used as weaponssmoking.gif

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #3 of 77
Here we go, more feeding frenzy to come... As an expat living in China, I can tell you that their are in fact 10's of thousands of demonstrations in China every year. Yes, 10's of thousands. As to the sensational headlines, and story here about "mass disturbance" and "damage to the plant's infrastructure", in the photos it looks like a couple windows were broken and the guard station and gate were destroyed. Until more news comes out, hardly seems like a massive riot. If in fact the guards beat up an employee, I'm sure the situation will be rectified very very quickly. It is also sensationalism to call this an "iPhone 5 plant" when in it appears that they make many kinds of parts for many types of products and the only item they make for the iPhone is the back aluminum structure. Why not call it an X-Box plant since Foxconn also makes those? Or a Dell plant, or an HP plant since they most likely also make components for them?
post #4 of 77

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Apple customer since 1990...

post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

Apple customer since 1990...

I think you hit upon at least points on TallesSkil's troll list. Let's see if you break the record.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 77
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Nope. Nuh uh. Not true.


Apple customer since 1990...


HOLY CRAP, THAT MUST MAKE IT TRUE! HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN?!

 

Oh, right, Solipsism makes a good point. I haven't had a chance to whip out my China ones yet.

 

 

No numbers on these because the order is still up in the air.

 

EDIT: He's right, one more.

 

A~nd throw this in just because a case for it can be made in the words he chose.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/23/12 at 6:43pm

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Nuh uh. Not true.


HOLY CRAP, THAT MUST MAKE IT TRUE! HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN?!

Oh, right, Solipsism makes a good point. I haven't had a chance to whip out my China ones yet.



No numbers on these because the order is still up in the air.

And I don't think I've ever had to show five of them before, so this might be the new record.

Don't forget the non-Chinese ones about Apple being greedy and selfish and how his words are canon because he says he owns Apple products and has for a long time.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 77

I find it's odd how Samsung having violations in over 20 different plants using 7+ year old child labor for 17-18 hours a run gets pushed to the back of the news. Of course, how much actual control Apple has with these plants is obviously limited. Will take more than Apple to change what is truly a social and national issue with China itself. Until our own counties ban the use of China for manufacturing for constant abuse, expect this will continue with more than Apple.. Samsung, HTC, even Google/Motorola. Apple is just the hot topic.. 

post #9 of 77
Wait times are being recalculated...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Nuh uh. Not true.


HOLY CRAP, THAT MUST MAKE IT TRUE! HOW WRONG COULD I HAVE BEEN?!

Oh, right, Solipsism makes a good point. I haven't had a chance to whip out my China ones yet.



No numbers on these because the order is still up in the air.

EDIT: He's right, one more.


A~nd throw this in just because a case for it can be made in the words he chose.

Where do you keep your list?
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

 

Apple customer since 1990...

Ah, classic.lol.gif

 

Why are you people such clichés.....

post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Apple customer since 1990...

 

Foxconn to Increase Workers' Wages in China

 

 

Apple and Foxconn to share labour cost increases

 

 

Foxconn promises to fix a multitude of violations found by FLA audit

 

Inform yourself.

NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Apple customer since 1990...


Yep, and whining since 1989.  Buzz off troll.

post #14 of 77

Apple somehow will be blamed for the end of civilization this year! Mark my words! I think "Mayan" is loosely translated to "Apple" is some ancient language.

post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Don't forget the non-Chinese ones about Apple being greedy and selfish and how his words are canon because he says he owns Apple products and has for a long time.


Oh wait... he said he owns Apple products????!!!  Oh jeez... that changes EVERYTHING...  **rolls eyes**

post #16 of 77
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
Where do you keep your list?

 

Synced between Notes on my Macs and my iPad. Not done yet. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #17 of 77
I'm having a hard time picturing thousands of 25 kilo pre-teens rioting anywhere¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 77
My apologies - I thought the headline was referring to the workers having a massive party to celebrate the the iPhone 5's successful launch. Then I read the story. We're doomed.
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm having a hard time picturing thousands of 25 kilo pre-teens rioting anywhere¡

The pre-teens are probably not the actual rioters. The news gets out of some injustice and the hooligans converge to vent their anger for whatever cause de jure. There is a lot of sociological assertiveness emerging in many parts of the developing world recently and the majority of these disturbances are instigated by adolescent males. The examples are wide ranging but there have been recent news of riots in China about tiny disputed islands on which no one lives but nevertheless it has caused numerous burnings of Japanese businesses, flags and cars. Young people are immature in every society, but given an excuse for social disorder there is very little personal restraint and the confrontations escalate quickly. Occasionally we see the same type of crowd behavior in the the US and UK etc, but the emerging third world societies are particularly susceptible to this type of unrest as recent current events have confirmed especially in the Islamic world. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #20 of 77

First I thought it's about a concert of a Russian band at Foxconn... then I saw it's not the Pussy Riot... it's pissy riot (or PC riot?).

Does anyone know if it has affected Apple's production? if not, it's not a mac related news.

post #21 of 77

Honestly I think that Apple if at all possible needs to start making their products here.  Even if its just assembling them here.  I would be willing to pay a bit extra.  It can't be that much more to make on a massive scale.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Maybe this is why some of the iPhone 5s are nicked and scratched. Maybe they were used as weaponssmoking.gif


Unlikely, 'cause it's too light.

post #23 of 77
This story has nothing to do with Apple.

From Reuters:
He said the company will issue a statement later on Monday. The Taiyuan plant makes parts for automotive electronics as well as a variety of other electronic parts.

And for any moron out there trying to bash Apple for this, the Reuters story also reports that some sort of fight took place in the worker's dormitory. So big deal! The fight could be over some Chinese guy snoring too loudly, or maybe somebody cheated on their wife and they found out. Seriously, who gives a shit. Just fire the workers who started it, and problem solved.

There are plenty of people trying to get jobs at Foxconn plants, violent fools need not apply.
post #24 of 77

Products made at Foxconn.

 

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[31]
Amazon.com (United States)[32] [Kindle]
Apple Inc. (United States)[33]
Cisco (United States)[34]
Dell (United States)[35]
Gateway (United States)[36]
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[37]
Intel (United States)[38]
Microsoft (United States)[39] [Windows phone, X Box]
Motorola Mobility (United States)[35]
Nintendo (Japan)[40]
Nokia (Finland)[33]
Samsung (South Korea)[41]
Sony (Japan)[42]
Toshiba (Japan) [43]
Vizio (United States)[44]

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Honestly I think that Apple if at all possible needs to start making their products here.  Even if its just assembling them here.  I would be willing to pay a bit extra.  It can't be that much more to make on a massive scale.

 

Why should they and why would you be willing to pay more? To satisfy some misguided sense of social conscience? Walk into any store in the United Sates and try to find something NOT made in China. Even American flags and NFL jerseys are made in China these days. So why should Apple commit economic suicide? Because Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, et al  certainly won't follow suit. They will laugh their asses off as Apple disintegrates. But you'll FEEL better, huh?

post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Why should they and why would you be willing to pay more? To satisfy some misguided sense of social conscience? Walk into any store in the United Sates and try to find something NOT made in China. Even American flags and NFL jerseys are made in China these days. So why should Apple commit economic suicide? Because Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, et al  certainly won't follow suit. They will laugh their asses off as Apple disintegrates. But you'll FEEL better, huh?

We should be willing to pay more to support OUR prosperity NOT CHINA

post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Why should they and why would you be willing to pay more? To satisfy some misguided sense of social conscience? Walk into any store in the United Sates and try to find something NOT made in China. Even American flags and NFL jerseys are made in China these days. So why should Apple commit economic suicide? Because Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, et al  certainly won't follow suit. They will laugh their asses off as Apple disintegrates. But you'll FEEL better, huh?

Wow you make a good point.  We need to pay another country for our goods.  Screw making anything here any more.  The minimum wage jobs created are a waste of time.  People really dont need to get a job HERE do they?  We have enough of those at Mc Donald's  Your point was well made.  Your one of those people who like cheap labor in china.  Screw the future and screw the economy.  Tax paying jobs are a waste of time here.  And now the insert of sarcasm and creative ego type will be posted to make one think this Ikrupp is all that and more.  He must think highly of his god like status.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post


Unlikely, 'cause it's too light.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Why should they and why would you be willing to pay more? To satisfy some misguided sense of social conscience? Walk into any store in the United Sates and try to find something NOT made in China. Even American flags and NFL jerseys are made in China these days. So why should Apple commit economic suicide? Because Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, et al  certainly won't follow suit. They will laugh their asses off as Apple disintegrates. But you'll FEEL better, huh?

Only a moron would think that a Chinese person would purposely risk personal retribution by a communist government by having the serial number traced back to the very person who handled the device.  Thats right screw job security.  But hey if it makes you feel better then go ahead bendeho.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

We should be willing to pay more to support OUR prosperity NOT CHINA

 

Except that Apple didn't drop the prices of their merchandise because they started making them in China. It's a fallacy that prices rise because they move back to our country. It's more complex than that. They attempt to raise the price, but it won't necessarily stick when there is competition on Android for less money. They simply make the product there because 1.) they can 2.) its more profitable 3.) existing manufacturing facilities ensure quick time to market 4.) too much investment to build own plants in the US to do the same thing 5.) they can take competing bids on contracts to keep costs down by using 3rd parties to do the work. In the end, they can make much higher margins on the product than they would making them in the US and that looks good to the board, the stockholders, and for their bonuses.

post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Apple customer since 1990...

 

Really???  Come on that is, at best, a reach.  A far reach.  Direct your anger to the Chinese government if you are worried about working conditions.  Apple is the customer here, they are purchasing parts and labor from Foxconn in China.  They are not the Chinese government and are not referees responsible for breaking up fights on assembly lines.

post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

 

 

Only a moron would think that a Chinese person would purposely risk personal retribution by a communist government by having the serial number traced back to the very person who handled the device.  Thats right screw job security.  But hey if it makes you feel better then go ahead bendeho.

excuse me? did you quote my words by mistake?

anyway, are you talking about the leaked parts?

(and the word bendeho doesn't exist, perhaps in phonetics)


Edited by mac-user - 9/23/12 at 8:55pm
post #32 of 77
When people build excessive wealth on the backs of the poor, these things will continue to happen, and throughout human history it's been a very profitable business model to have the poor make your products but history also shows that at some point it will end very badly. China controls 95% of the world's access to rare earth minerals which are used to make most of our favorite electronic devices, and you can guarantee those working into those ultra hazardous mines and refineries are NOT free.

China's control of rare earth metals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiQoMDZGCs4&feature=player_embedded
Edited by Commodification - 9/23/12 at 9:45pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #33 of 77
Would that America's working class had such courage.

Instead, we have a nation of "temporarily inconvenienced millionaires," i.e., pathetic dupes convinced they'll be welcomed into the ruling class if only they work hard enough.
post #34 of 77

Isn't it amazing that we can send men to the moon and build, send, land, and drive amazing six wheeled robotic rovers on the surface of mars, but we can't make a California designed smartphone in America? I think many of us bought into a cleverly designed marketing scam to justify excessive consumption of mostly cheap (chinese made) crap.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Apple customer since 1990...

Then it is all your fault for purchasing Apple products for 22 years.

You should have been protesting in Cupertino with signs stating, "BRING JOBS BACK TO USA!".

 

(Maybe you forgot /s after your post?)

post #36 of 77

An insanely great video clip from 1990 of Steve Jobs talking highly about Next's American factory and it's use of automation @ http://youtu.be/2nMD6sjAe8I?t=11m42s

 

This is interesting since Apple went to China to build their products, not to use the latest high-tech automation but to take advantage of poor slave-like human workers.

 

Look how much better workers were treated in Next's California factory (from a 1990 edition of Fortune magazine):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/02/26/73121/index.htm

 

"The workers are not restricted to the assembly line, as their counterparts are in a traditional factory. They are just as likely to be at their own computers, doing a statistical analysis of defect rates to find the cause of a snag. Next's two-year-old 40,000-square-foot plant in Fremont, California, produces circuitboards for more than 60 machines a day, or approximately $100 million of hardware in a year. That's just a fraction of capacity, since Next sales are off to a slow start. If the machines are a hit, the plant could produce up to $1 billion worth of them a year with no more than 100 workers. Says Jobs: ''I'm as proud of the factory as I am of the computer.''


Edited by Commodification - 9/23/12 at 10:55pm
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Here we go, more feeding frenzy to come... As an expat living in China, I can tell you that their are in fact 10's of thousands of demonstrations in China every year. Yes, 10's of thousands. As to the sensational headlines, and story here about "mass disturbance" and "damage to the plant's infrastructure", in the photos it looks like a couple windows were broken and the guard station and gate were destroyed. Until more news comes out, hardly seems like a massive riot. If in fact the guards beat up an employee, I'm sure the situation will be rectified very very quickly. It is also sensationalism to call this an "iPhone 5 plant" when in it appears that they make many kinds of parts for many types of products and the only item they make for the iPhone is the back aluminum structure. Why not call it an X-Box plant since Foxconn also makes those? Or a Dell plant, or an HP plant since they most likely also make components for them?

 

I agree, this looks quite tame compared to the recent anti-Japan riots.

post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

 

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

 

Apple customer since 1990...

 

Uh, noone gives a shit how long you've been an Apple customer, why do so many people need to spam their posts with that? An moronic post is a moronic post, and yours deifnitely fits the bill, no matter how long you've been an 'Apple customer', how tall you are, your ethnicity, age, or eye color. I hope you stop doing business with all companies that deal with China, since you want to stop exploitation and all. You know, if you're not a hypocrite. 

post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

An insanely great video clip from 1990 of Steve Jobs talking highly about Next's American factory and it's use of automation @ http://youtu.be/2nMD6sjAe8I?t=11m42s

 

This is interesting since Apple went to China to build their products, not to use the latest high-tech automation but to take advantage of poor slave-like human workers.

 

Look how much better workers were treated in Next's California factory (from a 1990 edition of Fortune magazine):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/02/26/73121/index.htm

 

"The workers are not restricted to the assembly line, as their counterparts are in a traditional factory. They are just as likely to be at their own computers, doing a statistical analysis of defect rates to find the cause of a snag. Next's two-year-old 40,000-square-foot plant in Fremont, California, produces circuitboards for more than 60 machines a day, or approximately $100 million of hardware in a year. That's just a fraction of capacity, since Next sales are off to a slow start. If the machines are a hit, the plant could produce up to $1 billion worth of them a year with no more than 100 workers. Says Jobs: ''I'm as proud of the factory as I am of the computer.''

 

So you'd rather Apple use robots to build their machines instead, Im sure all those Chinese workers would be better off eh? Maybe then they'd just go live off their investments or something. Or, more likely, go back to their villages and starve. But hey, at least we don't have "slave labor" then, right? What a humanitarian you are. And by humanitarian, I mean naive, idealistic, short-sighted hypocrite. 

post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Synced between Notes on my Macs and my iPad. Not done yet. lol.gif

 

Don't forget to share it with us once it's done!

 

OT: Wasn't there some particular image you said you'd use as your signature if the new iPhone was called iPhone 5? I haven't seen that yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Riot reported at Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn's iPhone 5 plant [ux2]