or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5 sales top 5 million in first weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces iPhone 5 sales top 5 million in first weekend

post #1 of 102
Thread Starter 
In its first three days of availability, the iPhone 5 has achieved record breaking sales of 5 million, while more than 100 million devices have been upgraded to iOS 6, Apple announced on Monday.

"Demand for iPhone 5 has been incredible and we are working hard to get an iPhone 5 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "While we have sold out of our initial supply, stores continue to receive iPhone 5 shipments regularly and customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date. We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough iPhone 5s for everyone."

The company noted that demand for the iPhone 5 exceeded initial supply at launch, though the majority of preorders were shipped to customers. However, many preorders are scheduled to be shipped in October.

iPhone 5


The iPhone 5 is currently available in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the U.K., and will be available in 22 more countries on September 28 and more than 100 countries by the end of the year.

Launch sales of the iPhone 5 topped last years record weekend, in which the iPhone 4S sold 4 million units in the first three days. However, with demand outstripping supply, initial sales of the iPhone 5 were less than the lofty predictions made by some Wall Street analysts.

The iPhone 5 first got off to a record breaking start earlier this month, when Apple sold 2 million preorders for its latest handset within its first 24 hours of availability. That doubled the record set in 2011 by the iPhone 4S, but actual first weekend sales did not double the iPhone 4S launch.
post #2 of 102

Fark!

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #3 of 102
Apple can't sell iPhones faster than it can make them. Thus initial sales aren't going to be a good indicator of how many iPhone 5's it may finally sell.
post #4 of 102
I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.
post #5 of 102

For the first time, waited in line for mine, met some nice folks and also for the first time, bought the top model. Have been sending messages and setting reminders with Siri, 100% reliable thus far. Maps almost to my liking and panorama is fantastic.

 

Well done Apple, well done Tim, supply chain master. :)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #6 of 102
Many places were completely sold out.
post #7 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.
Every store I went to this weekend was sold out. One Verizon store I went to said they sold out at 9am on Friday.
post #8 of 102
I am surprised people are still arguing the 4s was a "significantly smaller upgrade" myself. Still butt hurt over the name? Seriously, what is the argument? Smaller in some ways, not in others, right on the path history said the phone would take. How is it still a surprise to some people, more than a year later...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #9 of 102

iPhone 4S first weekend sales were over 4M. This isn't bad, the iPhone is still gaining momentum. Shows you how good analysts are when they said 6-10M. Sure wished I saw 10M though.

 

Pre-market numbers aren't looking pretty, ~$684

post #10 of 102
remember that the 4S was a performance upgrade to the same shaped iPhone 4. Production of the 4S could probably have been started earlier and of a higher scale than for the 5. So to have made 5m is impressive, to have shipped and sold all of them even more so. As for Gene Munster: bwaahhahahhahhaa!.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
post #11 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple can't sell iPhones faster than it can make them. Thus initial sales aren't going to be a good indicator of how many iPhone 5's it may finally sell.

 

While it may be hard to predict exact numbers - it is certain that selling out all you can make - even for only the first few days - is better than sitting on piles of overstock after the launch weekend. 

 

Extrapolation may become more accurate when supply begins to exceed demand - then the ongoing rate of sales will be a much better predictor of ultimate numbers. 

 

Of course with two year contracts, some folks like myself, may wait until the middle of next year to upgrade. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.

 

I know several people who have been holding on to their 3GS for various reasons who are now ready to upgrade - so it would be interesting to see if any data on what folks are upgrading form is available. 

 

I keep reading about how this is not a significant upgrade, because Apple ONLY increased the screen size a little, or Apple ONLY made the CPU/GPU twice as fast, or Apple ONLY made the WiFi and Cellular faster/better, or Apple ONLY made it 20% lighter, or Apple did not increase the battery life (despite all the other improvements), or Apple ONLY added this new feature or that new feature. At what point does the sum total of all those improvements add up to a significant advance overall? 

 

For me I do not want something radically different - after having a number of other cell phones, including other smart phones, I have been happy with the capability and functionality of my original, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S, and though I am not rushing out to upgrade to iPhone 5, the fact that I have a number of other family members with various iPhones means that when I do upgrade I can pass my 4S down to the next person, and their iPhone 4 can replace a 3GS, and that 3GS maybe becomes an iPod or gets sold. 

 

Sure sometimes Apple takes a small step back in some areas (Maps for example) but it has historically been in order to lay the foundation for a major leap forward. And as with most Apple products, it is more than the sum of its parts, and to those who have not used Apple products to be productive it can be hard to explain and sound like you are making excuses etc, but as a long time user of computers and technology from many vendors, when I have the option I choose Apple products. 

post #12 of 102
The question is, is this a sales or a supply issue? Every store I went to this weekend was sold out. It's not like they have phones sitting in stores that no one is buying, And the Apple online store is showing a 3-4 week delay in shipping.
post #13 of 102
Why does anyone still listen to Gene Munster? He is sooooo irrelevant...
post #14 of 102

For comparison, how big were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #15 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

For comparison, how big smooth were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

 

FTFY

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #16 of 102

As an Apple shareholder, I am happy with 5 million sold over the first weekend. From the initial reaction of the share price, I guess not all investors feel that way. What artificial number did Apple fall short of? Or maybe a reaction trying to shake loose some shares at a little bit of a discount? Or buy the rumor, sell the news?

 

No matter what, this looks, to me, like a good start for the new phone.

 

Neal

post #17 of 102

so what about those phones with nicks and scuffs that people checked at store before purchasing and refused to choose? ...when you say stores was sold out.

post #18 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

iPhone 4S first weekend sales were over 4M. This isn't bad, the iPhone is still gaining momentum. 

 

One also has to factor in the fact that the iPhone 5 is launching in two additional countries compared to the 4S - Hong Kong and Singapore, which would account for some of the additional sales of the iPhone 5.  Without specific numbers, it's impossible to say exactly how much this was a factor, but it does cast the increase in 1st weekend sales in a bit of a different light.

post #19 of 102

Only with Apple would a record-breaking 5 million phones (pre-order and opening weekend!) be viewed as "disappointing" to investors.  Seriously?  Name another hardware manufacturer who has done this with their smartphone.

 

It's just silly.  And this analyst is a fool anyway

post #20 of 102
Given the very fast US preorder sellout, and the much wider international rollout for the iPhone 5, I think the analyst's can be forgiven their expectation for better than a 25% opening weekend from last year.

I'm not sure which conclusion to draw from this 5 million launch. If Apple's manufacturing target was 5M, that might be an admission of slowing growth. If Apple couldn't make more than 5M, those analysts who've been touting Mr. Cook's supply chain prowess may have to dial back their praise.

It's too early to draw a conclusion, but that won't stop us from trying ;-)
post #21 of 102
In other news, apple didn't announce that 5 million iPhone 5 users now have a crippled maps app
post #22 of 102
Announce blowout numbers, stock price drops 2%
Aapl is a weird stock.
post #23 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

For comparison, how big were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

They won't release their sale figures in financial report so what's the point?
post #24 of 102
Does this figure include all the sales that are still processing and haven't shipped (or aren't in transit)? Because I'm assuming if your order is still processing and you don't have any tracking information you still have the right to cancel the order?
post #25 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Announce blowout numbers, stock price drops 2%
Aapl is a weird stock.

 

This is normal behaviour for stock. Buy on rumor, sell on news.

post #26 of 102
Apple could still be on target to sell 10M by the end of Apple's fiscal year on 29th September. Remember, Apple has purchased so much air freight capacity going out to the first week of October, that it has pushed up air freight rates for everyone else.

This is going to be a blockbuster every way you look at it. In terms of Sales, Revenues, and even in terms of shutting out the Galaxy S3 once again.

Anyone notice how Samsung has dropped prices of the S3 dramatically soon after the iPhone 5 was launched? I guess you can't see this easily in the US, where most phones are anyway subsidized - but in the rest of the world, it has dropped significantly.
post #27 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

One also has to factor in the fact that the iPhone 5 is launching in two additional countries compared to the 4S - Hong Kong and Singapore, which would account for some of the additional sales of the iPhone 5.  Without specific numbers, it's impossible to say exactly how much this was a factor, but it does cast the increase in 1st weekend sales in a bit of a different light.

For the first weekend this additional 2 countries wouldn't matter one bit. The back order will be more fulfilled if those are not included.
post #28 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

For comparison, how big were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

Who cares? Why is that so important to you? This thread is about Apple's amazing sales. Kudos to Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

iPhone 4S first weekend sales were over 4M. This isn't bad, the iPhone is still gaining momentum. Shows you how good analysts are when they said 6-10M. Sure wished I saw 10M though.

 

Pre-market numbers aren't looking pretty, ~$684

 

It's another case of analysts getting carried away and simply doubling the 4S sales because the pre-orders doubled. Until Apple issues more detailed guidance of their own (and why would they when no one else does?), these "misses" will happen. 6-10 million would have been nice, 5 million is still a lot of phones over 3 days. Remember, only the pre-orders that shipped "count" in the 4 million. The undelivered ones won't be sales until they ship.

post #30 of 102
Spare a thought for the poor old stock trader. With recent gains and a blockbuster iPhone launch, expect the 'outrageous' predictions to continue up to the 4th quarter returns culminating in totally over the top profit predictions which cannot be reached. Classic shorting strategy to lower the stock price >> take profits >> buy back on the rebound >> take profits...rinse, repeat. Apple is the darling for those using stock movements on a daily basis.
However...
Apple might just throw a spanner in the works of this strategy by releasing the iPad mini in the lead up to Christmas.
post #31 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Announce blowout numbers, stock price drops 2%
Aapl is a weird stock.


It's because analysts had set stratospheric goals of 8-10 million by doubling last year's 4S sales. It was a case of oversimplification (assuming twice the pre-order sales meant twice the total orders). I think the reality is that Apple is limited by supply. If they had 10 million phones to sell over the weekend, they might have sold 8-10 million, but they had 5 million to sell.

post #32 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple can't sell iPhones faster than it can make them. Thus initial sales aren't going to be a good indicator of how many iPhone 5's it may finally sell.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.

Should have been a lot more, they turned away many from lack of inventory. This was not their first go around, they know there will be big demand. Either start production sooner or wait an extra 1-3 weeks to release until inventory is enough to satisfy first weekend needs.... my opinion that no one agrees with.

post #33 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

 

One also has to factor in the fact that the iPhone 5 is launching in two additional countries compared to the 4S - Hong Kong and Singapore, which would account for some of the additional sales of the iPhone 5.  Without specific numbers, it's impossible to say exactly how much this was a factor, but it does cast the increase in 1st weekend sales in a bit of a different light.

Actually, Hong Kong and Singapore both got 'limited' launches.  Both websites still have opened up to pre-order via web.  In Hong Kong, you either purchase through carriers with contract attached or you register your information on Apple's websites and they make draws each day and see if you get lucky.  And the chances are really really small (less than 1%) to get chosen to get a chance to go purchase on next day in Apple store.  To give you an idea of how high the demand is (remember China market as well), a 16 GB phone will fetch a premium of about $3000 HKD ~ $380 USD if you sell to the grey market.  If you want to BUY one from grey market, it is $4000 premium (the phone itself is only $5588 retail).  A lot of the grey market resellers are actually getting their supply from Australia, US, etc. 

post #34 of 102
...but....but I don't understand why anybody would purchase the new iPhone 5 with those "crappy maps"! Everyone buys a smart phone for the maps. It's the maps I tell you!!! crappy!!!


















/s

Maps working great everywhere I've looked in Germany... Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, MN... and some little hockey towns in Minnesota like International Falls, Roseau, Warroad... and Ely, entrance to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Love the vector maps actually(!)

Just how "outback" do many of you live anyway?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #35 of 102

Sammy "shipped" 20 MM GS3 is 100 days. Apple sells 5MM iphone5s in 3 days (and sold out). What a total failure! /s

 

Analysts think Apple can sell X number of iphones independently of what Apple can produce in a relatively short period of time.

post #36 of 102
I am kind of surprised. With much wider international release, upgrade customer base, and upgrade significance it seems to be a failure. Now if apple recognizes revenue on shipment, severe inventory constraints may explain this.
post #37 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.

I think all of these estimates were overblown. The question is how many phones could they have sold?

I've bought phones and tablets from Apple the first day. It takes then a certain amount of time to handle each customer. And while its gotten faster, it's not that much faster. So they can get a certain number of people through in a day. The web site in theory, can do better, but even there , we get congestion.

And then we have the carriers and third party retailers, all of whom ran out of stock. Again, I don't know how they handle sales when out of stock. Do they count as a sale, an order that isn't paid for? That order could be cancelled.

If Apple had twice as many phones available, would they have been able to sell more?

I think that over 5 million for three days is pretty damn good.
post #38 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

 

Should have been a lot more, they turned away many from lack of inventory. This was not their first go around, they know there will be big demand. Either start production sooner or wait an extra 1-3 weeks to release until inventory is enough to satisfy first weekend needs.... my opinion that no one agrees with.


Here's the problem with that. They don't care about opening weekend records. They will still sell as much as they can produce. If they produced 7MM phones and sold out, people should have complained they should have started even earlier. When was the design finished? Also, if you start producing the 5 earlier, you'll have to stop producing the 4S sooner as well and then you'll have a gap.

 

I'm sure Tim Cook knows what he's doing.

post #39 of 102

<sarcasm>

 

I guess all that money Samsung spent on full page ads and TV spots really worked to get people to stop buying an iPhone.

 

</sarcasm>

post #40 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Should have been a lot more, they turned away many from lack of inventory. This was not their first go around, they know there will be big demand. Either start production sooner or wait an extra 1-3 weeks to release until inventory is enough to satisfy first weekend needs.... my opinion that no one agrees with.

Sooner than what? Wait for how long? If there are 200 million people that would buy an iPhone in the first weekend should they be producing them for a year before selling them just so everyone who could possibly want them could get them in the very first weekend?

"No, no, that's not what I said." Yeah, it's a scenario based entirely on what you said about Apple should 1) predict any and all possible demand for a launch, and 2) have enough supply for them by stock piling perfectly working devices for an excessive length of time.

Note that the Kinect, still listed as the world's fastest selling consumer electronic, sold 8 million in 60 days. Apple sold 5 million iPhones in just 3 days. That's 1/20th the time for 63% of the unit sales for a considerable more complex device.

So, no, it's impossible to agree with your opinion when it's not based on the reality that Apple's demand far exceeds what 1) production can reasonable handle for a launch, 2) what stores can reasonably handle for a launch.

You're also ignoring that 1) Apple wants to sell as many iPhones as possible (especially with a record breaking weekend, and 2) that no one in the history of electronics has been able to push this many CE in such a short time frame.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5 sales top 5 million in first weekend