or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Review: Apple's iPhone 5 running iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Apple's iPhone 5 running iOS 6 - Page 2

post #41 of 82

Hmmm... phone niched up already? How soft IS that aluminum body?

 

 
 
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How has it been 3 hours since AI posted this article and they still haven't corrected something a simple as their own rating images?

I think the recent site refresh indicates AI's primary interest is selling ad space, not producing pertinent or compelling journalism! 

post #43 of 82
I'm tired of "fanboy" comments from Fandroid haters on any Apple article that is written. Get a hobby other than rushing to every Apple post.
post #44 of 82
This is the most blantantly sycophantic review I have ever read.
Apparently anything you think is wrong wirh the iphone 5 is because you are delusional.
No doubt criticism of the phone and the mapping app. has been overblown . . . but this sort of review will not encourage a realistic view of the system. This is not a review it is propaganda.
post #45 of 82
FTA : "It is odd that Apple didn't add a bug button to report Maps errors, as it did in launching Safari 1.0."

There is a "Report a Problem" link in the maps app when you flip the page up.
post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Typical fanboy review. Examples:
- "You don't like the new connector? Then why are you spending $700 on a phone in the first place??"
Um, nobody is spending $700 on the new phone outside of the few people who get it unlocked. Most people are spending $200 or $300 on the phone. Why use the completely unrealistic $700 example? And even if someone was spending $700, why does this automatically mean that they shouldn't have to worry about replacing all their accessories or buying adapters?
- "Maps isn't broken. It's just a bunch of whiners."
Oh, really? Maps in iOS 6 can't even find my home and I live on a major street in one of the largest cities in America! In London, 50% of all roads are missing. But yeah, it must just be a bunch of whiners.
- No mention of how much harder it is for your thumb to touch the top of the screen while holding it one-handed. This is our biggest problem with the iPhone 5, and this issue is not even touched upon in this review.

 

$700 - what about people who don't yet qualify for the fully subsidized price? Or what about the fact that you do have to re-up for 2 years and part of your contract price is funding the lower initial purchase price? Which surprises me that we have not seen a class action lawsuit against all cell carries with subsidizes and contracts such that they are overcharging anyone who does NOT get a new device every time their contract is up. If in fact $20 (or whatever number) of my monthly contract is paying for the device - then after that device is paid off my bill should be $20 lower, right?

post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Typical fanboy review. Examples:
- "You don't like the new connector? Then why are you spending $700 on a phone in the first place??"
Um, nobody is spending $700 on the new phone outside of the few people who get it unlocked. Most people are spending $200 or $300 on the phone.

You are correct that the only people spending $700 are those getting it unlocked.

The bolded statement, however, is incorrect. Most people are spending well over $1,000 on the phone after you consider what you're paying the carrier.

For example, I was paying over $100 per month when I had a subsidized iPhone from AT&T and a limited data plan. I'm now spending $45 per month for a better plan (unlimited data) with Straight Talk - and using the same network. That means I'm saving $1,320 over the 2 year contract period. Since I would have paid AT&T $200 upfront to renew, my 2 year cost would have been $820 higher with AT&T ($1320 plan difference plus $200 AT&T 'purchase price' minus $700 to buy an unlocked phone).

People who think they're spending $200-300 to buy an iPhone are fooling themselves.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Hmmm... phone niched up already? How soft IS that aluminum body?

Certainly not as hard as the head of the Android shills around here.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Doesn't anyone find it funny that this article only compares iPhone 5 to previous generation iPhones, but not current generation Android and Windows Phone products? Most revealing in this review is not what it says, but what it doesn't...

 

I assume that the vast majority of people on this forum own an older iPhone and want to know whether it's worth upgrading. I wouldn't look at another platform simply because I want to keep using the same apps and don't want the hassle of moving my music collection out of iTunes.

post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

 

Apple's had the same connector for a over a decade.

 

After a decade, you have to invest a little more to accommodate a new connector, and a few matching plugs and so on. Is this *really* a big deal? Because once you *do* spend a little extra, you're set for lord knows how many more years. 

 

It's been a decade. Best thing to do is live with it and be happy that all your stuff worked the same way for a decade now. 

 

Nothing like spending 50k on a BMW to be told to invest in connector thtat doesnt allow same functionality.

 

Score.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #51 of 82
What do you mean there is no bug report button... lift the map up from the corner and tap "Report a Problem"...
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

Solipsism,

Why the constant negativity? 

My wife and I have been upgrading each year to each new iPhone.  As of now we are staying with the 4S precisely because of the dock connector issue. I know that we are not in the majority, but it is a major headache for many people.  Both of our BMWs have full iphone integration via the old dock connector (expensive options when we custom-ordered our cars), I have 3 expensive iphone speaker setups at our various offices, I have my high-end home sound system set up with a traditional ipod dock connection, and we have 10+ chargers/cables from previous iPhones that all still work.

Will I eventually upgrade?  Of course at some point I will.  But as of now, the immense cost/hassle is simply not worth the benefit.  Again, I am not saying that I am representative of the general public.  But when people structure their lives/environments around a proprietary connection, it is a huge deal when it shifts.  Many connections, like USB, are all backward compatible, so this is less of an issue.    But not with Apple. 

Negativity? I'm not the one complaining about Apple changing a long overdue connector design.

As for your car scenario, when does it end? WIll there be a period of several years that people will never buy another new car just so Apple can finally update their connector to something modern that use it for a decade or more? Of course not! That's ridiculous to even suggest!

it's unfortunate that with progress there will some that will have to question whether an immediate upgrade is worthwhile to them, butt that's part of progress. It can't always be about being slightly faster than before with no other changes.

Let's remember it's been 9 years with the same connector. 9 years.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #53 of 82
Without a doubt this is a great phone. Looking at the speed specs almost makes me want to upgrade. Almost.

I've held one. Played with it and can say I don't like the taller form factor. It's not for me. So I will hold off until I don't have a choice (still hoping Apple offers the shorter 4S form factor for many years to come). Albeit I don't use Android phones for many reason, on is that I feel like phones should be smaller not bigger. The 5 seemingly caters to gamers and those who would primarily watch movies on their phones, and that's not me. The screen is still too small to be an effective browser, so given I have the same issues browsing at I did on the 4/S, why not make the screen as small as possible. Just my preference.

That aside, there is nothing else to truly disparage about it. I think the anodized aluminum was a mistake and if I did buy one it would be the white one, but scratches and nicks to the surface of both glass and frame have and always will be a problem on any cell phone.

IOS 6 was a big disappointment however. Maps is a certified mess, and to try to suggest Apple had no idea how much criticism they would receive over it suggests they are a bunch of idiots since Steve Jobs left. It was THE major update they promoted for iOS 6, listed at the top of every advertisement and even the iOS 6 webpage. No they screwed up and made a decision to release it as a work-in-progress -- not the first time, nor the last they have and will do this, just unfortunate they planned so badly for such a major release. It seems like they focused on things like 3D flyovers, which for anyone who uses a map on a regular basis is far less important than accurate data.

The major feature I hoped for is PhotoStream Sharing, which I have yet to be able to share with anybody, other than the public link. Not the way it was supposed to work. Useless until Apple gets their act together, but its OK since it wasn't exactly the biggest feature they advertised.

There are some other features that would be nice to have but not must haves. Panorama for instance would be nice, but not essential. I feel like sometimes we get too caught up in the fun little additions which some Android phones have implemented so badly before the iPhone, without realizing that aside from bragging rights, my android using friends rarely use after the first week or two of having their phones.

I guess I just don't understand how Passbook is supposed to work, or why it will be adopted more widely as a payment system than NFC. So I will reserve judgement on that until I can use it. What I do know is that something needs to be done. Europe's pin and chip payment system is so much better than anything we have in the US at the moment (I love the gas card zip code verification system, as if the criminal who stole your card didn't get it out of your mailbox). But I disagree with the justification that NFC is not the way to go. Frankly given Apple's track record, if Apple chose to get behind NFC, they could set the standard, even making the Android implementation incompatible. If Apple offered retailers 40% of the mobile phone market as easy payment customers, retailers would fall all over themselves to implement whatever standard Apple offered them. Passbook, on the other hand seems like a stepping stone to something else, and maybe it will be NFC once they have a chance to focus on e proper implementation. But seriously, I wish people would stop defending Apple's decision because its not widely adopted, or its lack of standards. NFC, or something like it is the way of the future, and Apple either has not had the time to address it, or has some other non-standard idea in mind instead. But Apple has the customer base and the leverage to set the standard, and do for credit what they have with multimedia and telecommunications. Banks have further incentive to work with Apple since Apple has iTunes and all the credit cards attached to it. Perhaps they will roll out their own system if the banks don't play. This is a reason not to pursue NFC at this time, not all the other lame excuses being offered around the net.
Edited by Mac_128 - 9/24/12 at 2:51pm
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Doesn't anyone find it funny that this article only compares iPhone 5 to previous generation iPhones, but not current generation Android and Windows Phone products? Most revealing in this review is not what it says, but what it doesn't...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, what's your point? It's faster than any Android phone. The software is beyond compare, because Apple's didn't take four years to scroll smoothly. What would you have them write that they haven't here?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Why is it funny or AppleInsider to compare to previous iPhones running all running iOS 6?
If you want performance comparisons to many other devices check out AnandTech.

 

Typically defensive fanboy responses, I'd say. I was simply wondering why an article billing itself as a "Review" would make no mention of the iPhone 5's closest competition. I still find that interesting. A review is not much of a review if it doesn't compare the subject of the review to the competition.

post #55 of 82
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post
Typically defensive fanboy responses, I'd say.

 

Typically ignorant, irrelevant, meaningless troll response, I'd say. We have valid questions. You aren't answering them.

 

What inherent reason is there for a review of a product to bring in competitors' products? What inherent reason is there for a review of a product to even bring in products from the same company? 

 

It's a review of this product. Not a review of the other products. Not a comparison to competitors' products. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Typically ignorant, irrelevant, meaningless troll response, I'd say. We have valid questions. You aren't answering them.

 

What inherent reason is there for a review of a product to bring in competitors' products? What inherent reason is there for a review of a product to even bring in products from the same company? 

 

It's a review of this product. Not a review of the other products. Not a comparison to competitors' products. 

 

Good reviews don't happen in a vacuum, they compare the subject of the review to other similar products. Without that perspective, there is no basis for a "review" because there is no basis for comparison. That is how a real "review" is written. The fact that you don't understand this says more about you than anything else. I guess I must have touched a nerve with my post, since it has caused you to call me names and now a "troll" simply because I took issue with the quality of this "review". I had no idea iPhone owners were this insecure and unable to discuss how the features of their phones compare to those of the competition. You see, not everyone who is reading iPhone reviews owns an iPhone or defines their identity in this manner. I've owned three generations of iPhones, but it seems that these "reviews" are written more as infomercials for Apple than anything else. This is a cheerleader piece, not a review.

 

And I'm sorry, what "valid questions" are you asking me that I'm not answering? Your response makes no sense.

post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Without a doubt this is a great phone. Looking at the speed specs almost makes me want to upgrade. Almost.
I've held one. Played with it and can say I don't like the taller form factor. It's not for me. So I will hold off until I don't have a choice (still hoping Apple offers the shorter 4S form factor for many years to come). Albeit I don't use Android phones for many reason, on is that I feel like phones should be smaller not bigger. The 5 seemingly caters to gamers and those who would primarily watch movies on their phones, and that's not me. The screen is still too small to be an effective browser, so given I have the same issues browsing at I did on the 4/S, why not make the screen as small as possible. Just my preference.
That aside, there is nothing else to truly disparage about it. I think the anodized aluminum was a mistake and if I did buy one it would be the white one, but scratches and nicks to the surface of both glass and frame have and always will be a problem on any cell phone.
IOS 6 was a big disappointment however. Maps is a certified mess, and to try to suggest Apple had no idea how much criticism they would receive over it suggests they are a bunch of idiots since Steve Jobs left. It was THE major update they promoted for iOS 6, listed at the top of every advertisement and even the iOS 6 webpage. No they screwed up and made a decision to release it as a work-in-progress -- not the first time, nor the last they have and will do this, just unfortunate they planned so badly for such a major release. It seems like they focused on things like 3D flyovers, which for anyone who uses a map on a regular basis is far less important than accurate data.
The major feature I hoped for is PhotoStream Sharing, which I have yet to be able to share with anybody, other than the public link. Not the way it was supposed to work. Useless until Apple gets their act together, but its OK since it wasn't exactly the biggest feature they advertised.
There are some other features that would be nice to have but not must haves. Panorama for instance would be nice, but not essential. I feel like sometimes we get too caught up in the fun little additions which some Android phones have implemented so badly before the iPhone, without realizing that aside from bragging rights, my android using friends rarely use after the first week or two of having their phones.
I guess I just don't understand how Passbook is supposed to work, or why it will be adopted more widely as a payment system than NFC. So I will reserve judgement on that until I can use it. What I do know is that something needs to be done. Europe's pin and chip payment system is so much better than anything we have in the US at the moment (I love the gas card zip code verification system, as if the criminal who stole your card didn't get it out of your mailbox). But I disagree with the justification that NFC is not the way to go. Frankly given Apple's track record, if Apple chose to get behind NFC, they could set the standard, even making the Android implementation incompatible. If Apple offered retailers 40% of the mobile phone market as easy payment customers, retailers would fall all over themselves to implement whatever standard Apple offered them. Passbook, on the other hand seems like a stepping stone to something else, and maybe it will be NFC once they have a chance to focus on e proper implementation. But seriously, I wish people would stop defending Apple's decision because its not widely adopted, or its lack of standards. NFC, or something like it is the way of the future, and Apple either has not had the time to address it, or has some other non-standard idea in mind instead. But Apple has the customer base and the leverage to set the standard, and do for credit what they have with multimedia and telecommunications. Banks have further incentive to work with Apple since Apple has iTunes and all the credit cards attached to it. Perhaps they will roll out their own system if the banks don't play. This is a reason not to pursue NFC at this time, not all the other lame excuses being offered around the net.

 

It seems that we've had quite a few disappointments under Tim Cook already, but until now those missteps have not directly affected products. With the launch of iPhone 5, we can see cracks in the facade. There is something wrong with the management reporting and QC structure, Maps absolutely should not have been launched in this half-baked state. The responsibility for that falls directly on Tim Cook, who seems to be better at delegating his responsibilities than actually carrying them out himself.

post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...

 

It's a review of this product. Not a review of the other products. Not a comparison to competitors' products. 

 

And how, pray tell, do you review a product without looking at competing products in the space? If you have no basis for comparison, you cannot write a rational review unless you intentionally want that review to be based on nothing but opinions. A good review is not just a regurgitation of opinions and press releases, as this review appears to be.

post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

Typically defensive fanboy responses, I'd say. I was simply wondering why an article billing itself as a "Review" would make no mention of the iPhone 5's closest competition. I still find that interesting. A review is not much of a review if it doesn't compare the subject of the review to the competition.

Your comments are both ignorant and stupid. There is no reason that every single review of the iPhone should also review every single non-iPhone device along with it. There will be vendor-focused sites that will focus on various vendor releases and there will other sites that will focus on new competitors to the iPhone, like the one I supplied. Your entire stance is that AI can't be trusted because it did the former. That's bullshit. I read AT because I like their technical breakdown but since I'm coming from an earlier iPhone to a newer one I really don't need 20 Android phones listed to give me an idea of what changes to expect between devices. Try some critical thinking once in awhile; you might like it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

It seems that we've had quite a few disappointments under Tim Cook already, but until now those missteps have not directly affected products. With the launch of iPhone 5, we can see cracks in the facade. There is something wrong with the management reporting and QC structure, Maps absolutely should not have been launched in this half-baked state. The responsibility for that falls directly on Tim Cook, who seems to be better at delegating his responsibilities than actually carrying them out himself.

Apple is doomed!
5 million in 3 days is a disaster!
The facade is cracking!
The veeneer is wearing off!
Run for the hills!
Pack up the babies!
Grab the old ladies!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 82
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post
And how, pray tell, do you review a product without looking at competing products in the space?

 

THERE we go! You said exactly what I hoped you would.

So there were NO reviews of the iPhone until a YEAR after its introduction, right? Because there were no competing products in that space until then. No one could possibly have gone over the physical aspects of the device and commented on the software or hardware until then, right? 

 

The concept of a "review" has nothing to do with any product but save for that being reviewed. What you're after is called a "comparison".

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #62 of 82
I don't know if i've ever read a product review where the author was such a biased apologist for the product he was reviewing.  It's not that i disagree about the phone...it's fantastic.  But responding to niggling criticisms of the phone that have cropped up over the past 48 hours is not the responsibility of the reviewer and comes off as petty, which hurts the credibility of the author, the article, and the site (although, this happens on AI all the time).  
 
Let's just call this piece what it is:  an op-ed disguised as a review.
post #63 of 82
Dismissing people's very real concerns about the poor quaility mapping on iPhone 5 makes any other opinion about this phone expressed worthless. The vast majority of users will experience the inadequacy of apple maps at some time. For me in Hong Kong they are virtually useless and one wonders why the writer thinks a quality downgrade is acceptable to release. Things will no doubt be better in 10 year but now they are terrible.
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Dismissing people's very real concerns about the poor quaility mapping on iPhone 5 makes any other opinion about this phone expressed worthless. The vast majority of users will experience the inadequacy of apple maps at some time. For me in Hong Kong they are virtually useless and one wonders why the writer thinks a quality downgrade is acceptable to release. Things will no doubt be better in 10 year but now they are terrible.

I know we have been discussing this map issue for a few days now and nobody actually knows what is really going on because Apple is not saying what, why,when, where etc. For all we know Google was simply asking for too much money, or Apple was more interested in getting rid of Google at any price. Perhaps Google did not want to renew the contract. All unknown. It is useless to speculate what caused the dramatic change, all we know is that the deal is done and Apple will move forward from here. It is really no big deal because the only thing actually missing from iOS is Street View and most people have a notebook or desktop so they can do a little preplanning and consult their Street View requirements ahead of leaving the house or office. Other than that it is a non-issue. For me I would have preferred that Apple surpassed Google Maps in quality of search and especially satellite imagery but again you can use other methods to access Google Maps if necessary. About all we can guess about the current situation regarding Apple Maps for iOS is that Apple was forced to change or benefits from the change or something logical because they don't just do things for no reason.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know we have been discussing this map issue for a few days now and nobody actually knows what is really going on because Apple is not saying what, why,when, where etc. For all we know Google was simply asking for too much money, or Apple was more interested in getting rid of Google at any price. Perhaps Google did not want to renew the contract. All unknown. It is useless to speculate what caused the dramatic change, all we know is that the deal is done and Apple will move forward from here. It is really no big deal because the only thing actually missing from iOS is Street View and most people have a notebook or desktop so they can do a little preplanning and consult their Street View requirements ahead of leaving the house or office. Other than that it is a non-issue. For me I would have preferred that Apple surpassed Google Maps in quality of search and especially satellite imagery but again you can use other methods to access Google Maps if necessary. About all we can guess about the current situation regarding Apple Maps for iOS is that Apple was forced to change or benefits from the change or something logical because they don't just do things for no reason.

 

Irrelevant to the end user.

 

Apples built in software, so they wear the blame.

 

But good to know that the advantage of the upgrade is that people get to preplan on an alternative device.

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #66 of 82
(grabs popcorn)
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

 

 

 

Typically defensive fanboy responses, I'd say. I was simply wondering why an article billing itself as a "Review" would make no mention of the iPhone 5's closest competition. I still find that interesting. A review is not much of a review if it doesn't compare the subject of the review to the competition.

baloney. it may not be the review YOU want to read, that's fine - just go somewhere else. heaven knows, there will be plenty of 'death match' reviews all over the web in coming weeks. go there, not here. make a "choice."

 

hey, here's a good example, i'm sure you'll LOVE IT!

 

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

 

hey, here's another. FEAST YOUR EYES!

 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

 

i like reviews that include important info and insight about the product itself. stuff i am interested in knowing more about. this DED review was pretty good for that. he screws up some, but offers a lot of good info too to go with it.

post #68 of 82
I could not find anything about how Passbook worked, or what I needed to do to set it up. Then I found this which pretty much sums up my experience with it ...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/problems-with-passbook/

Yet another half-baked, poorly implemented feature of iOS 6. Truly the hardware is terrific, it's iOS that has fallen short this time ...
post #69 of 82
The iOS 6 maps app shows a park in place of the main railroad station in Helsinki. That is just plain weak. While Google Maps certainly has had its fair share of issues, I don't recall there being any blunders of this level.

As it is, the iOS 6 maps data is very USA centric.
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I could not find anything about how Passbook worked, or what I needed to do to set it up. Then I found this which pretty much sums up my experience with it ...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/problems-with-passbook/
Yet another half-baked, poorly implemented feature of iOS 6. Truly the hardware is terrific, it's iOS that has fallen short this time ...

at least i can put this pointles app in a folder.  unlike news stand

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Some clear inaccuracies.
6.5% of "active" android users use phones larger than 4"?
Where is the source for this statement? It is very hard to even find an Android phone less than 4" today. This number doesn't pass the sniff test.
 

 

its because the author is fudging the data.  6.5% are 'large' sized screens and above.

 

However, the distinction of large = >4"  but its a little nit more complicated than taht.  Android devices of normal size include those from 3-4.3/4.5"  when combining those into the equation, thats 97% of the android population.  hw many are actually over 4" is anyones guess.

 

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pro: I love the new connector.
Con: Phone scratches and marks easier than all previous iPhones.

 

The plastic iPhone 3GS is honored that you think it is more scratch-resistant than the iPhone 5.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Most egregiously however, Google itself has jumped in with an attempt to propagate the notion that iOS 6 Maps will get you "iLost," something that doesn't really seem appropriate given that it was just a few years ago that CNET editor James Kim from San Francisco died while stranded in winter conditions, with his apparent reliance on Google Maps a contributing factor. Nobody was foolish enough to blame Google for Kim's tragic death, and Google should be smart enough to avoid similar associations, given that no GPS system's directions should be relied upon with one's life.

 

If you follow that link of yours you'll see that Kim's wife confirmed that they missed their exit on I5 and used a paper road map to try and find a shortcut (with tragic consequences).  The idea that they were using Google Maps is erroneous.

 

That said, there are plenty of examples of people imperiling themselves blindly following their sat-navs.  I believe a couple of years ago a Spanish man died after he drove his car into a reservoir (it was dark and the car apparently sank very quickly).


Edited by webweasel - 9/25/12 at 3:54am
post #74 of 82

I think even Apple would be embarrassed by this arrogant, one-sided review. You assume that because we're all Apple fans we don't give a shit about the costs of replacing accessories and having connectivity issues with cars due to the new lightning connector? That's just lazy.

post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You've sunk to a new low by implying that Apple's maps are above criticism since it was rumored that someone died using Google maps.  And the link that you used as a reference is someone's personal blog.  Are you serious?  Please do journalism a favor and stop writing.

 

 

I absolutely concur with this. I never post on AppleInsider but you've made such an excellent observation, and I'm slightly disgusted by this particular instance of Apple kowtowing.

 

The writer of this review should be ashamed to have scraped so desperately at the bottom of the barrel in defence of his beloved iPhone. Sickening.

post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post

 

I've owned three generations of iPhones, but it seems that these "reviews" are written more as infomercials for Apple than anything else. This is a cheerleader piece, not a review.

 

 

It does read like an infomercial, almost. It's a very valid point. However, you also must consider the "editorial line" of the website you are reading. All news here will contain slight(!) hints that Apple is better than the rest (which I agree with most of the time, that's why I read Apple news here).

 

There are some good Android phones out there, but if you're looking for a comparison of those phones vs the iPhone 5, this ain't the place.

And I own an kindle touch and I'm a huge fan of Amazon, but I know that if I'm trying to decide between the new Kindle Fire HD and the iPad 3, probably this isn't the right place.

post #77 of 82

There are way too many whiners, psychopaths and clueless trolls in this thread.

 

If you don't like the iPhone for whatever reason, then don't buy one. 

 

Complaining about the new connector is not a valid complaint. The old one had been around for almost a decade and guess what, things change. If Apple changed their connectors every few months, or every year, then the criticism would be valid. This new connector will obviously be around for many years, so the whiners will have to wait about ten more years until they can whine about another new connector. If you're a cheap customer who doesn't appreciate or comprehend new advances in technology, then don't buy an iPhone, it is not made for people like you.

 

Complaining about scratches is not a valid complaint, unless you just purchased an iPhone and it has visible defects out of the box. In that case you bring it back and get it exchanged, problem solved. Other than that, it is a known fact that aluminum will scratch, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. So either put your iPhone in a case like certain people choose to do, or just go naked, like I do with all of my devices. If you're an idiot who keeps their iPhone in the same pocket as their keys, then don't be surprised if your iPhone ends up getting scratched like crazy.

 

Some people are more careless than others. If you are a careless individual, or maybe you're just a moronic, slobbering at the mouth Fandroid, then don't worry, there are options out there for you. You should purchase a plastic phone and you should also wear a bicycle helmet 24-7, so that you don't do any damage to yourself, your phone and to others around you. 


Edited by Apple ][ - 9/25/12 at 1:40pm
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There are way too many whiners, psychopaths and clueless trolls in this thread.

 

If you don't like the iPhone for whatever reason, then don't buy one. 

 

Complaining about the new connector is not a valid complaint. The old one had been around for almost a decade and guess what, things change. If Apple changed their connectors every few months, or every year, then the criticism would be valid. This new connector will obviously be around for many years, so the whiners will have to wait about ten more years until they can whine about another new connector. If you're a cheap customer who doesn't appreciate or comprehend new advances in technology, then don't buy an iPhone, it is not made for people like you.

 

Complaining about scratches is not a valid complaint, unless you just purchased an iPhone and it has visible defects out of the box. In that case you bring it back and get it exchanged, problem solved. Other than that, it is a known fact that aluminum will scratch, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. So either put your iPhone in a case like certain people choose to do, or just go naked, like I do with all of my devices. If you're an idiot who keeps their iPhone in the same pocket as their keys, then don't be surprised if your iPhone ends up getting scratched like crazy.

 

Some people are more careless than others. If you are a careless individual, or maybe you're just a moronic, slobbering at the mouth Fandroid, then don't worry, there are options out there for you. You should purchase a plastic phone and you should also wear a bicycle helmet 24-7, so that you don't do any damage to yourself, your phone and to others around you. 

 

1) connector is a valid annoyance, but you can choose not to purchase one.  Of course not a great proposition for apple.

2) scratches are a valid complaint.  Bring it back and exchange may be a valid option for those with apple stores close, but typically what you mean is a) ring apple b) await return clearance c) get postage packing d) send back e) await new gadget and hope its the same way.  It would be nice if apple moved on in design, by creating one that is better for  longevity than the previous generation.  Not just change shatters for scratches.  Scratches are for android plastic monsters.  But hey, carry on insulting those who want a device that can handle routine use and still look like a "jewel".

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #79 of 82

First: I had the opportunity to try the new iPhone. Nothing that got me aroused really. Still gonna buy one on Friday when it starts selling in my country. But then, I'll by anything shiny Apple makes. (Been doing that since they yet didn't make anything shiny :)

 

Second: Apple really dropped the ball with the new maps. I simply sucks. Or it is so bad it should be called alpha version. And before some Apple religious zealot opens his mouth about whining, I say that I probably was HC Apple fan while you still were plastering poop on your mothers carpet, so shut up. Opp boy... Shut it.

The one basic thing map is supposed to do is show what is where and, in cases with electrical map equipped with GPS, where you are. That's the basis where you start. If that is not working, the map is useless. Period. No amount of cool features, multimedia, 3d cinematography or anything is going to change that. Apple needs to fix this ASAP and if they had any manners, they would say "We're sorry" while doing that. They of course won't say anything to that effect, but I can live with that.

 

Third: Where can one get unlocked versions for 700$? I'll have two right now. Where I'm from the 64GB models are 899 euros. That's roughly 1155 americans. Ain't complaining. It stings, but I ain't complaining :)

post #80 of 82
Here's a quick copy edit. I think you guys meant: "... in the same three 16/32/64MB capacities." -> in the same three 16/32/64GB capacities.


I REALLY HOPE IT'S NOT -> MB. hahaha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Review: Apple's iPhone 5 running iOS 6