or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Rules of the Troll [WIP]

Rules of the Troll [WIP] - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

First time seeing this. The link to the list should be in your sig.

Me too. It's funny how many times posters repeat these.

TS you should add "Apple needs to make a 5" screen iPhone because that's what I want". I've read that numerous times in the last few months.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #42 of 84
Quote:
#29: The patent system needs reformed.

This could have the addition, 'unless Apple's patents are being invalidated in which case the patent system is working as intended'.
post #43 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

First time seeing this. The link to the list should be in your sig.

Definitely. This is amazing. There needs to be an app for this.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View PostPeople see it as getting stale and for something to be considered artistic, it really should have an element of change

That's a very american point of view actually. Europeans, and chiefly Asians, have a different view on this in particular. I recently went to  several theater plays (an old art form, with live actors performing on a stage)  in Paris. The plays were 100 to 400 years old. They were art and they were enjoyable.

The american public would see them as moldy and outdated.

That's why globalization is a bad thing, erasing local preferences. Of course, this is an opinion...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Definitely. This is amazing. There needs to be an app for this.

Make one, Apple makes that dead easy. Really.

Install XCode. Create project. Build interface in interface builder. Fill up PList with quotes. Link PList to interface. Push to Appstore.

post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Make one, Apple makes that dead easy. Really.

Install XCode. Create project. Build interface in interface builder. Fill up PList with quotes. Link PList to interface. Push to Appstore.

I consider the list his property, not mine.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #47 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight 
That's a very american point of view actually. Europeans, and chiefly Asians, have a different view on this in particular. I recently went to  several theater plays (an old art form, with live actors performing on a stage)  in Paris. The plays were 100 to 400 years old. They were art and they were enjoyable.
The american public would see them as moldy and outdated.

That's why globalization is a bad thing, erasing local preferences. Of course, this is an opinion...

What I mean is the iteration process. For example, if you saw a play and someone performed the same play but one actor had a different costume, it wouldn't be considered a unique work of art. If this play was the only one you ever saw, year after year then even with the modifications, you'd consider them all to be a single work of art and you probably wouldn't want to see the same one every year. People seem to expect Apple to come out with a new work of art every year but are really seeing the same play with a different costume. I personally don't think it's a problem because I see the iPhone as a single work of art and I think the small modifications are enough. Android phone manufacturers go more down the 'variety is the spice of life' route and try all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors and Apple does to an extent with the iPods but it creates a lot of clutter when manufacturers ship poor products for the sake of variety and lower price points.

Globalization is a good thing so that people from different cultures get the opportunity to appreciate these works of art.
post #48 of 84
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
I consider the list his property, not mine.

Oh, no, go ahead, do whatever you want with it. Anyone!

I really want to see more posts NOT replied to. Don't waste your freaking time. 

If it's pure trolling bait, even just report it without replying at all, because I'll probably be deleting it afterward and the more replies it gets, the more posts I also have to delete.

But if you absolutely must reply (there are maybe zero instances of this lol.gif), quote relevant points, say absolutely nothing, and just type "Rule #___", with the relevant rule.

I don't really see how this list is "app worthy", but I'd love to see more people reference it rather than actually reply to the same lies ad infinitum, giving them the time of day.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #49 of 84

Just found this section of the forums after seeing the "Moderator behavior" mentioned on the main page. Refreshing to know that AI is still an Apple centric forum and tries to keep the trolling under control. Depressing to see other Apple sites overrun with trolls and critics and no attempt at putting a lid on it. MacRumors is THE prime example. Tired of hearing about "freedom of speech" and "censorship" on a private forum when disruptive trolling is deleted. The anonymity of the Internet is partly to blame. A lot of this wouldn't happen if not for anonymous user names and privacy settings. Face to face with some of these types would be a hoot.

post #50 of 84
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
MacRumors is THE prime example. Tired of hearing about "freedom of speech" and "censorship" on a private forum when disruptive trolling is deleted.

I'm particularly confused about the quality drop on MacRumors since they have possibly the most extensive list of rules of any Apple site. 9to5 doesn't seem to have any and we have a threadbare set, but MacRumors explicitly outlines "trolling" as an instantly bannable offense, and yet you see stuff like this go unpunished. 

Warms my heart to see them continue their level scheme beyond G5, though. Eidorian's a Penryn now; he always had a level head.

post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm particularly confused about the quality drop on MacRumors since they have possibly the most extensive list of rules of any Apple site. 9to5 doesn't seem to have any and we have a threadbare set, but MacRumors explicitly outlines "trolling" as an instantly bannable offense, and yet you see stuff like this go unpunished. 

Warms my heart to see them continue their level scheme beyond G5, though. Eidorian's a Penryn now; he always had a level head.

Honestly if you think those are two examples are bannable offences then I think the problem is evident.  You have a thick skin where people attack you but not quite so when the mothership is attacked.  

There will always be haters, people with differing opinions.  To delete posts because you don't agree with them is the issue.  Apple is bigger than you and does not need you to protect them from the "evil empire".  

There are plenty of people here who are apple fanboys who are not overly happy with where apple is heading.  

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

There are plenty of people here who are apple fanboys who are not overly happy with where apple is heading.  

Talking about that, latest update on my iPhone has caused an irritating behavior that Wifi only runs if I'm actively using the phone. Makes receiving email an annoying process, instead of having a "ding" sound to warn me, I now have to go and check myself... Any idea if it's a bug (hence, just wait for solve), or a feature (hence, complain, pray, or buy SamsungWhateverphone)...

post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Honestly if you think those are two examples are bannable offences then I think the problem is evident.  You have a thick skin where people attack you but not quite so when the mothership is attacked.  

I don't see any problem with getting rid of those trolls. I'm sure those particular people are quite welcome on some Google or MS fan board. They don't actually have to be on an Apple fan board. If their point is to evangelize for some other brand or poison the Apple well, they don't need to be here. Nobody likes being evangelized to, and if a person thinks poisoning the Apple well is the best way to get people to switch brands, the problem is that person, not us.

Quote:
There will always be haters, people with differing opinions.  To delete posts because you don't agree with them is the issue.  Apple is bigger than you and does not need you to protect them from the "evil empire".

Then that ignores the need to protect _this forum_ from those that choose to be disruptive rather than be a part of the discussion.

Quote:

There's a point where disgruntled ex-fans are more disruptive than regular trolls. If someone is here to discuss, fine, if they're here to lay land mines, then elsewhere is a better place for them.
Edited by JeffDM - 2/17/13 at 8:13am
post #54 of 84
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
Any idea if it's a bug (hence, just wait for solve), or a feature (hence, complain, pray, or buy SamsungWhateverphone)...

Sounds like a bug for your device. Two iOS 6 devices in my household now; both receive notifications just fine.

post #55 of 84
You forgot to add:

#51: Reposting any discredited or misleading LOL@APPLE pictures

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 84
#52: elite vs. welfare bankrupts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple }{  View Post

so that Fandroids and other jealous people will be able to emulate Apple owners, and these people can pretend that they have a brand new iPhone, and maybe they'll even be able to fool a few of their friends from a distance of at least 10 meters away.

And last but not least, price your device pretty damn cheap, remember who your customer base is. This group includes people who have recently filed for bankruptcy, people on welfare who have 13 kids, people who don't really care about tech, people who are just looking to replace their 10 year old feature phone and the most important group of all, people in "developing" countries whose yearly tech budget is less than 7 dollars.
post #57 of 84
an iMac is just a vertical laptop - xZu, March 2013

edited after the Jeff's perceptive eye
Edited by PhilBoogie - 3/2/13 at 7:24am
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #58 of 84
On the subject of the iMac: People looking for a desktop don't want laptop performance - ecs, March 2013
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

an iMac is just a vertical laptop - ElectroTech, March 2013

In all fairness, ElectroTech didn't say it, he was countering someone that said it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156249/after-astonishingly-poor-quarter-mac-sales-predicted-to-rebound#post_2286144

He was replying to xZu:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156249/after-astonishingly-poor-quarter-mac-sales-predicted-to-rebound#post_2286127
post #60 of 84
an iMac is just a vertical laptop

I like this line (doesn't matter who said it)

People looking for a desktop don't want laptop performance

And I like the implication of what this says, but what it's actually saying isn't trollish. It's a valid desire from a consumer's point of view. But what he's actually claiming is the iMac has laptop performance, which is obviously wrong.

post #61 of 84
On the subject of Apple vs Samsung, and judge Koh cutting the 1.05B down by 400M: "Apple should end up paying Samsung's legal fees and more. Go Judge Koh!"
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #62 of 84
Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post
But to your last point, I guess it could be said that if you want to see iOS' features of tomorrow, look at Android today.

And with that, the first 50 are done! Probably won't need another fifty, but there you have it.

post #63 of 84
Apple: Milking our customers is what we do best.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #64 of 84
Quote:
But to your last point, I guess it could be said that if you want to see iOS' features of tomorrow, look at Android today.

Well, that's actually rather true. The point is, Apple waits until a feature is polished and refined enough before pushing it, Android just pushes it and hopes it gets better. It doesn't seem trolling to me, more like failure to see why Apple would do this, and why the general public would benefit from such an approach, rather than the "tinkerer oriented" Android approach...

post #65 of 84
The iPhone would look better without that stretched screen
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #66 of 84

I've never actually heard that.

post #67 of 84
Quote:

Quote:

I've never actually heard that.

I was looking for the S4 video launch event, stumbled upon http://www.androidcentral.com and saw this:
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-versus-iphone-5

can't link to the post, but reading the first few you get the idea what kind of shyte site this is
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #68 of 84
"Steve Jobs only sold other peoples ideas. Do your research."

No, I didn't make that up, someone actually posted that. 4th comment, from 'darkhunt333'
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #69 of 84

"Steve Jobs only sold other peoples ideas.

Correct...

But he did a great job doing it.

Also, I would suggest you look up how and where did Bill Gates got his windows idea from.

post #70 of 84
Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
Steve Jobs only sold other peoples ideas.

Correct...

Wrong. This is a thread where we post examples of lies. You must've missed that. lol.gif

post #71 of 84
Quote:

Wrong. This is a thread where we post examples of lies. You must've missed that. lol.gif

Trolling about trolling 1smile.gif Selective justice.
Edited by Andrey - 3/27/13 at 9:18am
post #72 of 84
iPhone owners fervently post pictures to Flickr in order to make it seem it is the most popular phone!
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #73 of 84
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #74 of 84
I v
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

As you know, I've been quite vocal on this issue. Of course, I still use a Mac, but I am hesitant to consider the latest MBPs and iMacs.

As for phones though, switching to Android has opened up a whole new world for me, and here's why ~ it is like when I got my own first "modern" Mac, the iBook G3 500mhz (white). I remember that "glow" to the day... It's like, I wake up, go to work, on the train I pull it out, and there's that ~sense of wonder and amazement~ ... that unexpected delight, that not takes over your life, but spices it up like cinnamon tea.

It is simply the new capitalist landscape, and in the absence of real causes to fight for, we pick up the placard for our favourite piece of technology, feeling that we have a say now in shaping the landscape that we live in.

I think we have causes to defend, but we get too busy with unimportant squabbles to pay them the attention we should.

Some would add: "everything according to plan".

post #75 of 84
I v
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

As you know, I've been quite vocal on this issue. Of course, I still use a Mac, but I am hesitant to consider the latest MBPs and iMacs.

As for phones though, switching to Android has opened up a whole new world for me, and here's why ~ it is like when I got my own first "modern" Mac, the iBook G3 500mhz (white). I remember that "glow" to the day... It's like, I wake up, go to work, on the train I pull it out, and there's that ~sense of wonder and amazement~ ... that unexpected delight, that not takes over your life, but spices it up like cinnamon tea.

It is simply the new capitalist landscape, and in the absence of real causes to fight for, we pick up the placard for our favourite piece of technology, feeling that we have a say now in shaping the landscape that we live in.

I think we have causes to defend, but we get too busy with unimportant squabbles to pay them the attention we should.

Some would add: "everything according to plan".

post #76 of 84

WSJ is the ultimate deciding lord of everything tech.

post #77 of 84

Every one in the world can pay thousands of dollars to buy 5 bricks do what one iPhone does but iPhone is still overpriced.

post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

Every one in the world can pay thousands of dollars to buy 5 bricks do what one iPhone does but iPhone is still overpriced.

It is pretty hard, if not impossible, to say whether iOS 7 or Android 4.3 is better. That would be like saying that bananas are better than oranges, or vice versa. The fact of the matter is that both operating systems are pretty well made. And perhaps we won't be wrong if we say that the two are in their best state to date, although we can't be sure whether the new look of iOS will appeal to all long-time fans of the platform. Tthose who favor a clean, elegant, intuitive interface (also the people who aren't sure what they want) would likely be perfectly happy with iOS 7 in its latest form. Sure, it might be limited when it comes to customization, but it is well polished and crafted with lots of attention to detail. And let us not forget that iOS excels when it comes to availability of high-quality applications for download. On the other hand, people who are into tweaks and modifications, those who like the feeling of having more control over their smartphone would be better off with Android. It may lack the elegance of iOS, but it is still a full-fledged contemporary operating system loaded with useful features. Moreover, Google's Play Store tends to be richer in free applications, even though their quality sometimes lags behind that of the software made for iOS.

post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It is pretty hard, if not impossible, to say whether iOS 7 or Android 4.3 is better. That would be like saying that bananas are better than oranges, or vice versa. The fact of the matter is that both operating systems are pretty well made. And perhaps we won't be wrong if we say that the two are in their best state to date, although we can't be sure whether the new look of iOS will appeal to all long-time fans of the platform. Tthose who favor a clean, elegant, intuitive interface (also the people who aren't sure what they want) would likely be perfectly happy with iOS 7 in its latest form. Sure, it might be limited when it comes to customization, but it is well polished and crafted with lots of attention to detail. And let us not forget that iOS excels when it comes to availability of high-quality applications for download. On the other hand, people who are into tweaks and modifications, those who like the feeling of having more control over their smartphone would be better off with Android. It may lack the elegance of iOS, but it is still a full-fledged contemporary operating system loaded with useful features. Moreover, Google's Play Store tends to be richer in free applications, even though their quality sometimes lags behind that of the software made for iOS.

I wasn't talking about quality of OS was I??

post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

I wasn't talking about quality of OS was I??

Bricks, no it doesn't take 5 phones to match the iPhones capabilities a Nexus 5 can do everything a iPhone can do, well except unlock your phone with a fingerprint, is it better, that is up to you to decide, that was my point, is it too expensive, people seem to be buying them by the bushel so no they aren't, they seem to be priced at what the market dictates as acceptable. Stop talking like you just got out of a creative writing class, talk in complete sentences and be clear.

Edited by Relic - 11/13/13 at 8:57am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Rules of the Troll [WIP]