or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap - Page 3

post #81 of 135
"digitalclips 2012/09/25 05:54am
hill60 wrote:
I wonder how much Google will charge for it....

...It will be free. The business model Google has is simply give crap away free and sit back and collect ad sales money on volume usage."

No. Google started charging vendors who use their maps API starting at least a year ago. Google was charging the largest users the most.

Care to guess where Apple ranked in that list of who gets charged the most by Google....
post #82 of 135
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
Why do people automatically assume Apple pays or paid anything to Google in order to use their maps?

 

https://developers.google.com/maps/licensing

 

Nonsense, huh? I'm sure.

 

"Oh, Google Maps is free, oh…"

 

No. Google Maps is "free" to us because WE are the product being sold. It is paid for other companies to use because THEY are Google's customers.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #83 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post


Really? Because I sure don't see any street view on that... I swear, if I hear one more fanboy just saying to go on the website I really am going to flip. It's a totally different experience and lacks the one feature that most people miss from Apple Maps

Oh, you must be so embarrassed.

 

www.viewstreetnoflash.com

post #84 of 135
Next time someone needs to ask the followup question, "Is it true that you refused to license turn-by-turn and other advanced mapping features to Apple?"
post #85 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Naturally Schmidt has to defend android and his decision to wreck google's relationship with apple. What else is he going to say? But if I were a google shareholder, I would not find his marketshare numbers very comforting. I would be more focused on profitability. Google has figured out a way to both steal other people's IP AND lose money on it.
Once google shareholders realize the magnitude of this f-up, I doubt Schmidt and rubin will survive. Maybe the founders will survive, but I wouldn't count on that either.

Be interesting to see what effect this has on Google's mobile revenues. These Apple deals were a significant source of income for Google.
post #86 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

https://developers.google.com/maps/licensing

Nonsense, huh? I'm sure.

"Oh, Google Maps is free, oh…"

No. Google Maps is "free" to us because WE are the product being sold. It is paid for other companies to use because THEY are Google's customers.

Only 3 months ago Google changed their policy to keep vendors from jumping ship. It couldn't have been a big revenue stream for them so it looks like flew close to the sun and now there wings are melted a bit.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #87 of 135
When I first updated my iPad to IOS 6 and looked at Apple Maps I had a few concerns. It looked a little different than Google Maps and I wondered if it had the same info. I held off on updating my iphone 4 at first but finally went ahead upgraded. I used it yesterday when going to see a friend and it worked just fine. As I was driving I came to a traffic jam. I checked my map and it showed me there was an accident ahead and that is something that I don't remember seeing on Google maps. I was concerned at first but I think the Apple map may work fine for the way that I use it. Looking back I think I was influenced by the negative reports I was reading. I'm not saying that it doesn't need to be improved but would encourage everybody to give it a try and see if it works for you before you write it off.
post #88 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Why do people automatically assume Apple pays or paid anything to Google in order to use their maps? The service is free on the web, anybody can use it! If you want to believe that Apple customers are somehow an exception and Apple has to pay for our Google Maps use, then please cite some hard evidence, because otherwise that belief is pure nonsense.

Huh? According to this Forbe's report: http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/06/09/apple-is-about-to-reduce-googles-revenues/ and about 1000 similar stories, Apple pays Google more for maps than Google makes from Android.

These are all based on facts stated in Google's annual report. I think you might be a bit confused.

Google indicated in the Oracle trial that they make about 4x the revenue from iOS over Android.
post #89 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

"digitalclips 2012/09/25 05:54am
hill60 wrote:
I wonder how much Google will charge for it....

...It will be free. The business model Google has is simply give crap away free and sit back and collect ad sales money on volume usage."

No. Google started charging vendors who use their maps API starting at least a year ago. Google was charging the largest users the most.

Care to guess where Apple ranked in that list of who gets charged the most by Google....

That's not to vendors, that's to developers using their maps API in their own sites. At most that would affect Google Maps on iCloud (which Apple is still using), not Google Maps on iOS, which users are accessing directly from their devices rather than being redirected from a site.
post #90 of 135

Thank you Eric Schmidt for your objective, insightful opinion about Apple's 'mis-step', as if you had a damn clue if it's a mis-step or not, or have any insight into what Apple should or shouldn't do for their long term vision. You expected them to stay with Google maps forever, with hands tied behind their back, no access to vector tiles, turn by turn, etc? Of course they should have 'kept' your product, and continued to strengthen it with hundreds of millions of new customers. The thing is, Schmidt has shown has little vision or insight he has, time and time again, by being catastrophically wrong. I wonder if someone can make a collection of his predictions just in the past few years, it's comical how wrong he was about so many things, from the iPad (big iPod touch, noone wants it, will fail), to the appstore (developers will start to develop on Android 1st then port to iOS), TV (Google will power most of the TVs on the market by 2010-2011), etc. The guy is clueless. 

post #91 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Thank you Eric Schmidt for your objective, insightful opinion about Apple's 'mis-step', as if you had a damn clue if it's a mis-step or not, or have any insight into what Apple should or shouldn't do for their long term vision. You expected them to stay with Google maps forever, with hands tied behind their back, no access to vector tiles, turn by turn, etc? Of course they should have 'kept' your product, and continued to strengthen it with hundreds of millions of new customers. The thing is, Schmidt has shown has little vision or insight he has, time and time again, by being catastrophically wrong. I wonder if someone can make a collection of his predictions just in the past few years, it's comical how wrong he was about so many things, from the iPad (big iPod touch, noone wants it, will fail), to the appstore (developers will start to develop on Android 1st then port to iOS), TV (Google will power most of the TVs on the market by 2010-2011), etc. The guy is clueless. 

The value of his statement is questionable since the change will likely cost his company a billion dollars or more.
post #92 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Huh? According to this Forbe's report: http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/06/09/apple-is-about-to-reduce-googles-revenues/ and about 1000 similar stories, Apple pays Google more for maps than Google makes from Android.

These are all based on facts stated in Google's annual report. I think you might be a bit confused.

Google indicated in the Oracle trial that they make about 4x the revenue from iOS over Android.

The article may say it, but their quoted source does not. The article jumps into the conclusion that the generated mops revenue comes directly from Apple rather than from advertising to Apple's customers.
post #93 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Yep we still have Garmin too but my wife was with me and used her iPhone to test out the new system and she loved it. I couldn't actually see it, just hear Siri. I agree I am not planning on sticking an iPhone on a holder on the window, I can just see me forgetting and leaving it there when I park. . The days of cars being broken into to steal Garmins have passed but I'd suspect an iPhone would be a different matter! Maybe down the road Apple will make a $100 stand alone car nav system, it'd be a real hit at Christmas!

Apple won't sell such a device...but I'm sure there is a third party manufacturer working on such a device already.

post #94 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

 

I'm sick of hearing this.  Unless you have some previous unknown evidence, that neither Apple or anyone else has ever provided, you're just talking bull about Schmidt abusing his position.  Seriously, stop posting fud.  I'll take anyone seriously on these forums, until they post something like this that has been debunked 1000+ times, at which point their credibility becomes zero.

 

Why is it that anything that is even slightly negative against Apple in posts get jumped on, and yet crap like this is constantly posted.  If Tallest Skil is allowed his "troll list", there should also be a FUD list that contains all the crap pro-Apple delusionalists keep spouting.

obviously you didn't follow the goracle trial where evidence showed google made a massive U-turn on the UI and it was NOT developed concurrently with the blackberry version, showing the iphone influenced their design. go look it up.

post #95 of 135
Originally Posted by reefed View Post
…something like this that has been debunked 1000+ times…

 

Google buys Android. Android looks like BlackBerry. Schmidt gets on Apple's board. Android looks like iPhone.

 

Debunked, huh?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #96 of 135
Fire Forstall.
post #97 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Google buys Android. Android looks like BlackBerry. Schmidt gets on Apple's board. Android looks like iPhone.

 

Debunked, huh?

I think that would rank #1 on Apple fan talking points if you wanted to start another list.  ;)

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #98 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yet strong Facebook integration on iDevices is OK as long as Google's not involved, right? Just asking if your concerns are really about "privacy" or instead that Google is no longer considered a friend of Apple while Facebook currently is according to Mr. Cook.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/09/facebook-profiles-now-cross-referenced-with-retail-purchases/

 

The usual disingenuous red herring from GG. One can not use Facebook. Whereas, while one can not use, say, Google Search, it's nearly impossible to avoid Google's tracking net (Analytics) which is spread all over the net, hiding under multiple names. Facebook privacy may be a problem, but it's an entirely different kind of problem with an entirely different scope.

post #99 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Yep we still have Garmin too but my wife was with me and used her iPhone to test out the new system and she loved it. I couldn't actually see it, just hear Siri. I agree I am not planning on sticking an iPhone on a holder on the window, I can just see me forgetting and leaving it there when I park. . The days of cars being broken into to steal Garmins have passed but I'd suspect an iPhone would be a different matter! Maybe down the road Apple will make a $100 stand alone car nav system, it'd be a real hit at Christmas!

Something like an iPod nano with BlueTooth 4.0 and Siri?

post #100 of 135
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post
Fire Forstall.

 

For what reason? To what end?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #101 of 135
Schmidt is the scumbag who was trusted as a board member at appld when iphon and ios were being developed.. That is how apple trusted and nurtured their relation with google!
What do u know.. Next thing google pops out android.. An os in many ways identical to ios..
He is a back stabing scumbag.
Now he is ranting about apple decidions and apple google relations.?

A scum will always be scum.
post #102 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For what reason? To what end?

For not being able to deliver. "It's going to get better" is code for "It now sucks."
For bringing on a rash of bad publicity.
post #103 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Schmidt is the scumbag who was trusted as a board member at appld when iphon and ios were being developed.. That is how apple trusted and nurtured their relation with google!
What do u know.. Next thing google pops out android.. An os in many ways identical to ios..
He is a back stabing scumbag.
Now he is ranting about apple decidions and apple google relations.?
A scum will always be scum.

Glad to see that in the last 3 years Bill Gates has been replaced as No. 1 venom snake on AI.
So it's never Apple's fault for releasing bad software or not paying the proper license fee for a great user experience like it demands from everyone else?
Edited by iSheldon - 9/25/12 at 12:28pm
post #104 of 135
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post
For not being able to deliver. "It's going to get better" is code for "It now sucks."
For bringing on a rash of bad publicity.

 

Yeah, fire the head coder responsible for the existence of iOS because one app isn't up to the standards of a tiny minority and causes bad press for a single month.


Great idea. Almost makes me think you have a hidden agenda for wanting this to happen, but no, that can't possibly be the case.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #105 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

The one feature that I do miss from Google, is street view. That is often very useful.

There's an app for that - Live Street View (also Live Street View Free)

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #106 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Your IP address says you're in France .... ;-)

So... once you drive to North Carolina, you aren't allowed to leave the country?  When he said he "just drove", maybe he didn't mean in the last few hours.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #107 of 135
This is Schmidt's way of saying the functionality of Google services is at least as important as the iPhone touch patents that Apple wouldn't license or give away. Schmidt is about to discover, though, that his entire company is replaceable. Samsung is in the same boat.
post #108 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Glad to see that in the last 3 years Bill Gates has been replaced as No. 1 venom snake on AI.
So it's never Apple's fault for releasing bad hardware or not paying the proper license fee for a great user experience like it demands from everyone else?

Bill Gates is retired.

How can you blame Apple for lousy Android-based hardware?

Since when did Google offer to license to Apple its services at a reasonable price and without the privacy invasions?

post #109 of 135
This is a fine situation and should be enjoyed.

Apple, having left Microsoft in the dust, is in danger of _becoming_ Microsoft%u2026 Releasing half-finished products, figuring, "Oh well, we can always fix it later if anybody notices it's trash."

The corporate model is inherently dishonest, irresponsible, and destructive. With God dead and the nation state dying, our only defense against the psychotic institutions which completely dominate 21st century life on earth is to pit them against each other.

Silicon Valley mud wrestling. Bring it on.
post #110 of 135
Google is biding its time, waiting for wider adoption of iOS 6 to maximize the Apple customer base ire. Only then will Google gallop in like the knight in shining armor to offer its free Google Maps App.

It's a good strategy. If Apple stalls the quick approval of the app which Google will widely promote in the media, Apple customers will become even more irate.

I will be shocked if it goes down any other way ...
post #111 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Google is biding its time, waiting for wider adoption of iOS 6 to maximize the Apple customer base ire. Only then will Google gallop in like the knight in shining armor to offer its free Google Maps App.
It's a good strategy. If Apple stalls the quick approval of the app which Google will widely promote in the media, Apple customers will become even more irate.
I will be shocked if it goes down any other way ...

Love the elementary logic...

 

lol@ waiting for wider adoption of iOS 6.

post #112 of 135

Actually, Google's response was appropriate.  Like it or not, Apologists, but iOS6 was created for Apple, not you.  Google knows what it takes to build decent maps and they know that Apple most likely bit off more than they could chew.

 

As far as Google submitting an app, don't hold your breath.  Schmidt's response was clear:  You want Google maps? Switch to Android.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Google's response is almost as bad as Apple's decision in the first place. Stop being smarmy, both of you, and get Google maps back on. For the sake of the consumer.

Edited by Waverunnr - 9/25/12 at 12:31pm
post #113 of 135
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
I will be shocked if it goes down any other way ...

 

Might want to just get a taser and get that over with now.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #114 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

[...] It's a good strategy. If Apple stalls the quick approval of the app which Google will widely promote in the media, Apple customers will become even more irate [...]

 

I really hope Google follows this strategy. Current Apple management needs to feel the consequences of going against the user base. They've done too many things ignoring the user needs recently, and I really hope Google plays their cards well and increases users ire against Apple management.

 

If Google releases a Maps for IOS 6, it would be really good for everybody: Either Apple admits the app, acknowledging their mistake, and allowing all of us to use Gmaps on IOS 6, or they reject the app, causing a war against their users. In the end, IOS users will win, Apple management will lose for their bad behaviour of these last years.

 

Please Google, release gmaps for IOS 6!! 

post #115 of 135
Originally Posted by ecs View Post
…Apple management will lose for their bad behaviour of these last years.

 

Uh… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #116 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Google is biding its time, waiting for wider adoption of iOS 6 to maximize the Apple customer base ire. Only then will Google gallop in like the knight in shining armor to offer its free Google Maps App.
It's a good strategy. If Apple stalls the quick approval of the app which Google will widely promote in the media, Apple customers will become even more irate.
I will be shocked if it goes down any other way ...

 

The ire is overestimated. By miles. 

 

Apple customers are so irate, they're set to hand Apple a record iPhone quarter at least by Christmas. 

post #117 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Uh… 

 

I know . . .

 

LOL

post #118 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might want to just get a taser and get that over with now.
Why do you say this? Do you honestly think Google doesn't want their app on the iPhone? Articles I've read indicate that Google maps is used by almost twice as many Apple devices than Android, despite the latter having a larger installed user base? Why else would they create a YouTube App? The answer is because they have more to gain from the perceived Maps debacle than they do from the YouTube app (I personally preferred the browser interface anyway).

Or are you saying Apple will never let Google release a Maps app on iPhone ever? That worked well for Google Voice after the Feds investigated Apple's business practices.

Or are you saying Apple customers are not really that upset about Maps for it to matter how long Apple drags their feet to approve Google's offering?

I can certainly see Apple dragging their feet to approve it, but Google will submit a maps app, and Apple will ultimately approve it as long as it complies with all their terms, and they will do it before Google can file a complaint with the Feds.

Apple users seem pretty upset, but that could be media magnification, and only time will tell depending on how long it takes for widespread adoption of iOS 6 among the installed user base whether this dies down enough to thwart what seems like an obvious Google strategy.
post #119 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Google is biding its time, waiting for wider adoption of iOS 6 to maximize the Apple customer base ire. Only then will Google gallop in like the knight in shining armor to offer its free Google Maps App.

It's a good strategy. If Apple stalls the quick approval of the app which Google will widely promote in the media, Apple customers will become even more irate.

I will be shocked if it goes down any other way ...

The ire is overestimated. By miles. 

Apple customers are so irate, they're set to hand Apple a record iPhone quarter at least by Christmas. 

Many things can justify purchasing an iPhone 5, like not having an iPhone yet, the iPhone 5 being a huge upgrade, the huge library of apps in the App Store, and in some cases it's just a status symbol. That, however, doesn't mean Maps doesn't suck or that there isn't one less reason to upgrade than before. Bottom line it's up to everyone to decide whether the benefits outweight the drawbacks, and the more retarded Apple goes without regard for end-user convenience, the less benefits there will be in each iPhone iteration. This time they removed the Dock connector AND changed Maps, that's pretty bad to me already, it annoys me so much that if my 4S dies I'll buy another 4S rather than a 5, and if this continues I will eventually go look for greener pastures elsewhere because I've already opted out of iOS 6.
post #120 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Bill Gates is retired.
How can you blame Apple for lousy Android-based hardware?
Since when did Google offer to license to Apple its services at a reasonable price and without the privacy invasions?

Meant software. I'm blaming Apple for lousy Apple-based software. Like Ping and MobileMe. People defending Maps here is ridiculous- in that somehow "it's gonna get better" is acceptable.
It's not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap