or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Android store reaches 25 billion downloads, 675,000 apps

Google Android store reaches 25 billion downloads, 675,000 apps

post #1 of 72
Google announced on Wednesday that its Google Play store for Android has seen 25 billion downloads to date, and a total of 675,000 applications are now available.

Play

The announcement, made on the company's official Android blog, comes a few weeks after Apple provided its own update on the success of the iOS App Store. At the iPhone 5 media event, Apple revealed that the App Store had more than 700,000 applications, with 250,000 of those written specifically for the iPad.

Apple also announced that 90 percent of the applications on the App Store are downloaded every month, and that the average user has more than 100 applications installed on their device. Google's post did not offer comparable statistics.

As for the total number of application downloads, Apple's App Store reached the 25 billion mark in early March, or nearly 7 months before Google gave its own update on Wednesday. Apple's App Store launched three months before Google Play, then known as the Android Market, in 2008.

To celebrate the milestone of 25 billion downloads, Google is offering discounts on content available on Google Play. Creations from developers including Electronic Arts, GameLoft, Rovio and more will be on sale for 25 cents, while the company will also be highlighting special prices on movies, books, albums and magazines.

While it's a relatively close battle between Apple and Google in terms of applications available and user downloads, estimates have shown that Apple's App Store dominates in terms of paid applications. One study released last year found that Apple's iOS platform took in about 90 percent of all dollars spent on applications for mobile devices.
post #2 of 72
That's more than I thought. But I don't think apps in Google Play go through a rigorous application process to appear in their app store. And no numbers on how often x% are downloaded or anything.
post #3 of 72
and only a handful of those android apps are optimized for tablets nearly 2 years since the introduction of the Xoom.
Edited by ericblr - 9/26/12 at 5:49am
post #4 of 72
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #5 of 72

Everyone knows Google's app numbers don't matter because:

1. None of the Android apps are good as the apps for iOS and. . .

2. There's no productivity apps on Android either, mostly rip-off privacy-stealing free games. And that's because. . .

3. No developers are making money with crappy, buggy, laggy and fragmented Android anyway since. . .

4. Android users are too cheap and/or stupid to pay for quality apps which helps explain why . . .

5. There's no apps for Android tablets, just buggy re-sized phone versions with poor resolution. That might be a good thing for those couple of dozen actual Android tablet users because. . .

6. Google's appstore is littered with spyware and malware, infecting users devices by the millions. Stands to reason since. . .

7. There's no security in Android unlike iOS and besides. . .

8. Google lies about the numbers.

Think that about covers it, avoiding the need to turn the article into another click-bait thread. You're welcome...

Edited by Gatorguy - 9/26/12 at 5:56am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #6 of 72
And how many malware invested apps are there?
post #7 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

We always see these grand pronouncements coming from a company whose platform is propagated by handset makers that never put out actual, audited data. Not to mention that Google's revenue from mobile is still a rounding error. So we do have to wonder what all this amounts to -- other than some vague, undefined, long term potential -- for the company.

Bottom line: it's not worth much more than the paper it's written on.

But the media will breathlessly run with it......
post #8 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Spot on. ;-)
post #9 of 72
Quote:

2. There's no productivity apps on Android either, mostly rip-off privacy-stealing free games. And that's because. . .
3. No developers are making money with crappy, buggy, laggy and fragmented Android anyway since. . .
4. Android users are too cheap and/or stupid to pay for quality apps which helps explain why . . .
5. There's no apps for Android tablets, just buggy re-sized phone versions with poor resolution. That might be a good thing for those couple of dozen actual Android tablet users because. . .
6. Google's appstore is littered with spyware and malware, infecting users devices by the millions. Stands to reason since. . .

Think that about covers it, avoiding the need to turn the article into another click-bait thread. You're welcome...

It's only fair that you post this but let's be honest, when you write a Hello World app and post it to Play should that app hold the same weight as an apps that has gone through a curation process. I bet you won't find a single Hello World app that has ever been on the App Store and yet Google store has has tends of thousand at one time.

Then there is the non-linear fragmentation which does force legitimate developers to make multiple versions for no other reason that supporting multiple devices. The only time you see this on the App Store is from Lite and paid apps, of which I think Apple should have a trial period set up.

Bottom line: We have a company that claims more activation's in a day than the universe has existed in seconds, combined with an app store that requires no process to get posted it's a head scratcher that Play isn't hundreds of thousands of apps ahead of the App Store. The only reasonable answer is that people don't use Android phones as app phones as much as Google likes to pretend.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #10 of 72
Quote:

I agree with all of these points, i have a few android tablets, the play store is beyond fail from my perspective. if you had a nexus 7 & you wanted to do more then play some basic games or watch movies, i don't know what it would actually be good for :S

post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's only fair that you post this but let's be honest, when you write a Hello World app and post it to Play should that app hold the same weight as an apps that has gone through a curation process. I bet you won't find a single Hello World app that has ever been on the App Store and yet Google store has has tends of thousand at one time.
Then there is the non-linear fragmentation which does force legitimate developers to make multiple versions for no other reason that supporting multiple devices. The only time you see this on the App Store is from Lite and paid apps, of which I think Apple should have a trial period set up.

Not only lite (Free) and paid, but often iphone (normal)/ ipad (hd) versions as well.

One thing Microsoft did right in their store, every app has a trial which is the same entry as the full version, just with 2 buttons, try or buy. Hope Apple goes that route as well. But hey, I'm already glad I don't get the login anymore for updates of my apps ;)

post #12 of 72
Quote:

The only time you see this on the App Store is from Lite and paid apps, of which I think Apple should have a trial period set up.

Your App Ethan, should you choose not to pay for it, will self destruct in 10 days. As always, should any of your devices fail to support the App, we will disavow any knowledge of your download. 

post #13 of 72

I bought an Android device for testing purposes earlier this year - a Sony Xperia S. I can say that the vast majority of the iOS apps I use everyday were all available to me on the Play Store. One or two of them are a lot poorer than their iOS equivalents. Stitcher being the best example - it lacks a number of iOS features such as offline downloading, and crashes and overloads the CPU consistently. But overall I don't think there's a huge difference between the two app stores anymore.

The thing Android really lacks is good support from video content providers. Many TV companies are reluctant to make their apps available on Android because it lacks good DRM support. You'll see piss poor BBC iPlayer implementation on Android compared to the awesome iOS version, Sky Go is only available on a handful of handsets (and not mine) etc. 

The biggest frustration for me about Android versus iOS is the horribly piss poor copy and paste implementation in Android. You probably underestimate what a fantastic job Apple did implementing their version of copy and paste until you've tried to use the Android version. lol.gif

post #14 of 72
Quote:

Bottom line: We have a company that claims more activation's in a day than the universe has existed in seconds, combined with an app store that requires no process to get posted it's a head scratcher that Play isn't hundreds of thousands of apps ahead of the App Store. The only reasonable answer is that people don't use Android phones as app phones as much as Google likes to pretend.

Such lies. Then there is the non-linear fragmentation which does force legitimate developers to make multiple versions for no other reason that supporting multiple devices.

The vast majority of android apps +95% work form android 2.1 to the current version no problem, and adjust for screen size, hardware. Android App compatibility is amazing. 

Google play store has many many quality apps App store still has a the edge but android apps are catching up in both quality and customers who are willing to pay for them. 

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/android-gaining-ground-on-paid-apps/019285

post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Spot on. ;-)

Right and Apple never lied about all it's Fart Apps.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Such lies. [...] The vast majority of android apps +95% work form android 2.1 to the current version no problem, and adjust for screen size, hardware. Android App.

Speaking of lies, care to back up your claim that ≥ 95% of Android apps work on all devices that have 2.1 or higher installed regardless of any other HW or vendor change?

post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Really? Now you're claiming Apple has lied about fart apps? Refresh my memory because I don't remember Sphincter-gate hitting the tech news sites. If it was silent it surely was deadly.

post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Not only lite (Free) and paid, but often iphone (normal)/ ipad (hd) versions as well.

One thing Microsoft did right in their store, every app has a trial which is the same entry as the full version, just with 2 buttons, try or buy. Hope Apple goes that route as well. But hey, I'm already glad I don't get the login anymore for updates of my apps 1wink.gif

Don't make asinine statements suggesting tablet apps are a fragmentation of smartphone apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Your App Ethan, should you choose not to pay for it, will self destruct in 10 days. As always, should any of your devices fail to support the App, we will disavow any knowledge of your download. 

They have had this *exploding* feature in their DRMed content since they first offered rented movies. I don't think it's beyond their ken to offer the same deal to buyers. Devs would simply put in a price and then from a small list of trial usage options. I'd certainly buy more apps, especially more expensive apps, if I could try them first. I bet TomTom would have gotten more buyers who could have tested their app out before buying (It's a great app!).

post #19 of 72
Quote:

Really? Now you're claiming Apple has lied about fart apps? Refresh my memory because I don't remember Sphincter-gate hitting the tech news sites. If it was silent it surely was deadly.
How would you?
Can a pot call a kettle black?
post #20 of 72
The big difference is in the quality of apps available, not quantity. Do a search for "Hello World" and you'll find thousands of apps that people developed from a book or online tutorial and uploaded to the app store. This is the kind of cruft that app developers like myself have to contend with. The quality and features of these apps are also very limited from my experience. I've written an open letter to Android users of my app explaining why my small company can't move to the Android platform until crucial issues are fixed: http://onsongapp.com/devices/android/

If Google keeps treating everything and everyone like a number, they will never see that there are serious issues in their platform and continue to trumpet numbers and activations and specs which simply hide the more serious issues in the platform. Google, please address piracy. Please address fragmentation. Please address the quality of apps on the store. Please address adding much needed frameworks to your OS.
post #21 of 72

I have to laugh every time I read an iSheldon post these days. Or at the very least have a smile creep across my face.

He's slipping. He's losing it. Not much longer now.

post #22 of 72

Wait. I thought Android is winning with Market Share. How is it possible that downloads just reached 25 billion several months later than iOS? According to some, Android is outselling (outshipping?) iOS 3 to 1. Probably because many BOGO buyers don't realize they have Android or only use the Android device as a ...gasp...cell phone.

post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have to laugh every time I read an iSheldon post these days. Or at the very least have a smile creep across my face.

He's slipping. He's losing it. Not much longer now.

And what is so laughable? You don't think Apple included fart apps when toting its numbers? Yet Google is called a liar for doing so ?
post #24 of 72
Quote:

I come to Apple Insider to read news on Apple and they post Android info. And then I make the mistake of looking at the comments and seeing fox news styled circle jerks.

1) You are deluded if you think all of iOS's apps are better than Android's or that Android is filled with just ugly apps: http://androidniceties.tumblr.com/

2) There are gazillions of GOOD (and bad) Android productivity apps.

3) I am a mobile developer doing primarily Android development (on OSX :) ) and I have a lot of mobile developer friends. Your assertion that Android devs don't make money is flat out wrong. Oh so very wrong. Or either my friends and myself are shining examples which is unlikely.

4) This one is just embarrassing for you. I mean... really?

5) You are ignorant spouting: https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/tablet_featured?hl=en

6) So is Apple's. Don't believe me? Google/Bing/whatever some. So many apps accessed contacts and other personal information... and the best part is that until recently iOS didn't have the means to stop that.

7) Android's security has been arguably superior. The permission based system it's had since 2008 would let you KNOW if some app could access your contacts... unlike iOS until recently.

8) To my knowledge they do not. They spin the numbers in a positive light like every company... but no individual knowledgeable with the industry honesty thinks Apple or Google lie about their raw numbers like this.

I like Apple, and I love my OSX. I also like Android. :P

post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wait. I thought Android is winning with Market Share. How is it possible that downloads just reached 25 billion several months later than iOS? 

When Google opened their app store in Oct of 2008 it was in conjunction with release of the first Android phone, the HTC Dream, rolled out that same day. In fact the original Google app store didn't even have paid apps. That didn't come until several months later. Apple already had millions of iOS devices sold before the first Android phone ever hit the market. In effect Apple had a 16 month headstart on apps instead of just three that the article infers.

post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Fill in the blank: Fart Apps is to App Store as Your Post is to ______

post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I agree with all of these points, i have a few android tablets, the play store is beyond fail from my perspective. if you had a nexus 7 & you wanted to do more then play some basic games or watch movies, i don't know what it would actually be good for :S

You're absolutely correct, and why I haven't purchased a android tablet. I am waiting to see if the iPad mini rumors are true.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #28 of 72
Quote:

Don't make asinine statements suggesting tablet apps are a fragmentation of smartphone apps.

Just saying if I search for certain games on my iPad I get 4 versions of the same game presented to me. I'm not calling it fragmentation. I would like to call this inflation of app numbers as this happens quite a lot. You could call Angry Birds HD the tablet version of the app, but the game is identical both in gameplay and layout, only different resolution resources.

What I would call a separate tablet version in its simplest form is for instance email clients with dual panes when used on the iPad.

post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Try some of these: http://www.appsforandroidtablet.com/

lol I mean really... I don't know how you can say that if you actually have looked.

post #30 of 72

I'm glad you are making money on Android. I haven't been able to yet. Of course when I was paid by other companies to make what amounts to brochureware so they can way they have an app, well that was money.. but they also weren't really apps in my opinion. They cluttered up the ecosystem and provided no value to the customer that a web page couldn't handle.

In the realm of music software and hardware, Android is severely lacking. Is there a GarageBand app? Any decent MIDI-capable apps such as MIDI controllers or synthesizers? No. Because the OS cannot support that level of real-time sound processing or MIDI (well it probably could handle MIDI but it's been removed from the Java frameworks in Android)  There is also no consolidated way to access an external screen that I'm aware of.  These all are needed to make great music and productivity apps.

We have partnered with a company that makes wireless foot pedals for both iOS and Android devices.  What they've found is that almost no one purchases their foot pedals from Android, or complains about the price of the product. They want something for $20, not $120. They have said that nearly no one from the iOS community sees this as a problem. They have also found that all their app developers that use their product are very hesitant to develop for Android because most users got the device for free or cheap and tend to have the same perception for hardware and software. I'm just letting you know what I am hearing from the industry at least in terms of professional music.

Regarding your malware comment... yes, iOS can access contact information without a user's permission (although this was changed in iOS 6 to prompt the user for access). Android requires permissions to be declared in the manifest file, but most users don't even review that before downloading and running the app. While iOS can get to certain information, the rest is sandboxed by the app whereas an Android app has free access to the external SD card where all application data is saved. It can also run as a service in the background to do what it pleases. the only protection is that the user did download the app knowing what permissions were requested, which is normally required for all apps anyway.  Also, iOS has prompted for access to various things such as geolocation, push notifications and others.  Now it does that for photos as well as contacts. iOS has had permissions since it's inception, just not for contacts. Apple also reviews each app and will remove an app for it's breach of guidelines of which the contact access was part of since the beginning.

Lastly, regarding the numbers issue. Samsung has been on record saying that the number of tablets they sold through to customers have been around 10% of how many they "sold". While that may be "spinning numbers in a positive light", I find it highly deceptive. Google releases "activations" figures and Android hardware manufacturers release how many products they sell into the channel. But no one actually reports the number of products sold through to customers. The majority of web traffic is still iOS http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/03/iphone-os-still-dominates-mobile-web-android-on-the-way-up/ even though, according to Google's numbers, there should be enough devices on earth for every man, woman, child and cat. Where are all of these Android devices? Probably where my three are... on a shelf with a dead battery.

post #31 of 72

Is..... that all? They have CPU Monitor, that's so great there's an exclusive tablet app for that. Wait, also a FlickFolio, DroidIris, how many photo viewers? A tablet app to search craig's list? Yes the quality is really on par with what iOS users get.

post #32 of 72
Surprised no ones pointed it out already, but the Google Play store has more than just apps. It counts all the wallpapers and ringtones as downloadables. So it's not an easy comparison to the Apple App Store, which is exclusively about apps.
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymccrae View Post

Surprised no ones pointed it out already, but the Google Play store has more than just apps. It counts all the wallpapers and ringtones as downloadables. So it's not an easy comparison to the Apple App Store, which is exclusively about apps.

Please look at the big title on the graph "Google Play App Installs".

The blogpost has a title which states downloads, but this seems to be wrong with regards to the graph.

post #34 of 72
I find the 675,000 number to be complete lie. There's no way!!! Google counts all random, themes, wallpapers, widgets, app-keys, keyboards, lockers as apps. Which is very shady!
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #35 of 72

I hadn't noticed until just now that the graph shows fewer than 10 billion downloads in total thru 2011, but about another 15 billion just this year. :\

If the numbers are at all accurate then you could project 50 billion downloads by sometime next year??

post #36 of 72

Cool. 

post #37 of 72

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:08pm
post #38 of 72

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:07pm
post #39 of 72

The problem i have with this is that almost half of those apps are widgets, launchers, launchers' themes and stuff like that. that's it, that's android.

The top paid apps are things related to rooting that only a small percentage of android users do.

iOS is a completely different beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

It's probably on par with the iOS app store:

2/3 of Apple's iOS App Store populated by 'zombie' apps, estimate finds

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151639/2-3-of-apples-ios-app-store-populated-by-zombie-apps-estimate-finds

Stupid post. Read this article again, please. One third is not 90%.

post #40 of 72
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
Broad tastes are not allowed here.  In the AI forums, you either like Apple exclusively with all your heart, or you are a "paid troll".

Tread lightly.  In this tiny corner of the 'net only one company can do anything right, and all other companies are either evil, stupid, or both.

You will be assimilated. Or banned.

Your post proves itself a lie. 

Good going.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Android store reaches 25 billion downloads, 675,000 apps