or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Chinese suppliers still working to clone Apple's Lightning cable and integrated chip

Chinese suppliers still working to clone Apple's Lightning cable and integrated chip

post #1 of 40
Though some websites are selling what are claimed to be inexpensive third-party cables compatible with Apple's new Lightning port, accessory makers have not yet reverse engineered the chip found inside Apple's official cables.

Websites like China's Alibaba.com currently have a number of companies claiming to offer their own inexpensive Lightning cables for sale. Some suppliers on these sites are advertising that new orders for third-party cables will ship in less than a month, but evidence suggests those deadlines will not be met.

One supplier contacted by Peter of Double Helix Cables indicated that their company plans to begin working to clone Apple's Lightning authenticator chip in earnest after China's Mid-Autumn Day national holiday, which will be recognized on Sept. 30.

Realistically, Chinese companies looking to make cloned Lightning cables won't be able to produce any products for at least two months, according to Peter.

He said that although resellers on eBay and Amazon may claim they currently have the product in hand, it's not possible, as no suppliers have to his knowledge begun manufacturing third-party Lightning cables.

"People should be very surprised if this cable can be cloned by Christmas," Peter told AppleInsider. "This is a serious undertaking and the Chinese know it."

Lightning

Some companies began advertising accessories such as Lightning to 30-pin adapters on Amazon less than a week after the iPhone 5 was unveiled. Once such accessory, the Nanotch adapter, is advertised to be released on Oct. 17 ? a date Peter believes could not be met.

Apple's new Lightning cables feature chips embedded in the accessory. The exact purpose of the chips remains unknown, but it's been speculated that they could be used to make it impossible for third-party accessory makers to build Lightning cables without Apple's authorization.

The new Lightning connector found on the iPhone 5, as well as the forthcoming iPod touch and iPod nano updates, is 80 percent smaller than Apple's legacy 30-pin connector, which lasted for nearly a decade. Apple's new cables are digital and dynamically assign pins to each side of the plug, allowing it to be inserted into a device in either of two orientations.
post #2 of 40
Guess what will happen that Apple does not want. Somebody will buy a cheap $5 knockoff, put it in the shiny iP5 and cause it to burn-up or damage it and try taking it to an Apple store and say the phone was "defective" when in fact, trying to save a few bucks and go cheap ends up costing a lot more.

In the end, the consumer will blame Apple.
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Probably the same kind of people that would put their iPhone in their pocket along with their keys and then proceed to whine about how it's all scratched up.

post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Probably the same kind of people that would put their iPhone in their pocket along with their keys and then proceed to whine about how it's all scratched up.

Hmm... interesting.  Do you think those kind of people might be related to the other kind of people that drop their iPhone on concrete and and then whine (i.e. "blame Apple) about it getting a dent?  

post #5 of 40
Good luck Chinese!

Hope this happens asap, wish apple would release the specs so consumers could have more options for cables, save money.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Hmm... interesting.  Do you think those kind of people might be related to the other kind of people that drop their iPhone on concrete and and then whine (i.e. "blame Apple) about it getting a dent?  

I think that you're on to something there! lol.gif

As a matter of fact, I believe that they're the same people. The same people who were dropping their glass backed iPhone 4's on concrete are most likely the same sort of people that will scratch up their aluminum backed iPhone 5's.

post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswone View Post

Good luck Chinese!
Hope this happens asap, wish apple would release the specs so consumers could have more options for cables, save money.

I disagree. From experience, and having bought plenty of cables in my time (both computer and audio/video cables), you don't always save money by going with the cheap version.

What good is a cheap cable if it breaks after a few months or even weeks? There are different levels of quality in cables, how they are made, the construction, the design, the thickness, the materials, etc.

The opposite is also true. Just because some cables are expensive (I've seen some pretty expensive audio cables for sale), that doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than an average priced cable.

post #8 of 40

30 bucks for a cable or adapter is just a rip off (don't even argue that it costed tons of money to design, theyll get there money back over the next 5-15 years)

I used a few "knock-offs" from china for my 4 etc.... NEVER a problem, so yea (plus i know like 10 other people who use knockoffs too

Apple should be making money on the phone not the cord that connects it

anyway, love my iphone 5

post #9 of 40
Quote:

I disagree. From experience, and having bought plenty of cables in my time (both computer and audio/video cables), you don't always save money by going with the cheap version.

What good is a cheap cable if it breaks after a few months or even weeks? There are different levels of quality in cables, how they are made, the construction, the design, the thickness, the materials, etc.

The opposite is also true. Just because some cables are expensive (I've seen some pretty expensive audio cables for sale), that doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than an average priced cable.

'inexpensive power only cables are a necessity however.  Cheap is cheap, inexpensive is minimizing 'cost vs function vs durability'

I do think that most 30 pin cables were bought are for 'emergency' power.  I have 1 at work, one downstairs by the TV, one for my computer, one by my bed, and one in the car (power only).  3 are 'cheap' ($5 per) 1 is a Belkin cable that came with my juice pack batter charger, and one shipped with my iPhone.  (my wife's iPad cable and her iPhone cable are at her side of the bed and at here desk).   I lose (hotel room donations) about 2 cables a year, so the cheap ones are great.

I think that a 'dumb' mode (power only) cable spec can be built, that satisfies most purchasers.   Those that need smart connections (to a car audio system) will need a smart cable... and I'd rather have apple sell me the cable than the car/audio manufacturers.

I'm pretty much getting 3 of these for my house the next time around (one for each guest bedroom), as when the kids come home to visit, there are 3-5 devices sucking power all the time.

GE Surge protected chargers.

post #10 of 40

The us of the word "clone" its to lenient. What they are actually trying to do is ripoff intellectual property that do not belong to them.

post #11 of 40
Not ready to buy in to the "authentication chip" hypothesis. It's more likely to assign proper signalling to the signal pins, and proper current to the power pins.
post #12 of 40
The purpose of the cable chips is not "unknown" as this article states. It has been established that the function of each pin in the Lightning connector is dynamically assignable by the chip, depending on what the connected device calls for. What we don't know yet is how this signaling works or what its range of options is.

If there's a functional - i.e. not "disconnect all" - default pin assignment state, then it's possible that a dumb cable could replicate that. Maybe a simple charging cable? However that cable wouldn't be functional for other purposes, making it of limited interest.

If Apple follows past practice it will publish and license the Lightning cable specs in order to encourage the manufacture of third party peripherals.
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

30 bucks for a cable or adapter is just a rip off (don't even argue that it costed tons of money to design, theyll get there money back over the next 5-15 years)

It's simple. If you think it's too expensive, don't buy one. Problem solved.

China is free to reverse engineer the design if they can do so without violating intellectual property laws. If they infringe on Apple's IP, though, Apple has every right to sue them into oblivion.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 40

If Apple would just sell the cables at a reasonable and fair cost, they may make more money because then not as many people would go looking for a knock-off alternative. Plus it would provide some good will for all the people who purchase their devices. 

$30 for a cable or adapter is crazy - and leaves me with a negative feeling about buying into the Apple ecosystem on an otherwise overwhelmingly positive experience. It doesn't have to be that way and shouldn't.

And - as part of the transition - I really feel they should include an adapter with all of the initial devices with the new connector. Instead, Apple has opted to get as much cash (and profit) as possible from all of the people buying Apple products rather than showing they care about their customers. I understand wanting to maximize profits, but in the long-term it's not always the best move. Treating customers right is what will keep them coming back time and time again. 

I am an Apple fan, but it's stuff like this that really makes it hard to be a proud Apple fan.

Edited by huffcw - 9/26/12 at 2:23pm
post #15 of 40
Originally Posted by huffcw View Post
If Apple would just sell the cables at a reasonable and fair cost…

Back up. Apple created the tech behind it. Apple created the devices that use it. No one else makes the cables, nor does anyone else have to have the rights to them. They are, by definition, a fair and reasonable cost.

$30 for a cable or adapter is crazy…

I take it you don't do much pro-level anything, do you?

…and leaves me with a negative feeling about buying into the Apple ecosystem…

A smaller upfront cost (for an adapter that isn't about to fall apart and will work) than you'd be paying for the half dozen knockoffs over the lifespan of the port is a bad thing? 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #16 of 40
I suspect that any adapters made by third parties without the chip will only allow the phone to changer nothing more. The chip (beside the rumor authentication purpose) may provide the additional functionality that Apple said will come with the new connector.

This is no different than some of the third party ipod/iphone 30 pin connectors not all support full functionality, some only allow the device to charge nothing more, you can not use it to sync via USB.

So if you only want to change then go for the cheep adapters if you want full functionality then buy the $30 apple one. Consumer choose.
post #17 of 40
I think that most people are idiots.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #18 of 40
First, maybe the chips sense which direction the cable is inserted and it changes the pin outs.

Another possibility is maybe sensing when the battery is fully charged and maybe shuts down before it overcharges the battery? Just a guess.

Apple should at least license their design for 3rd parties because some 3rd parties actually want to make a more expensive version that uses higher grade cables for the audiophile crowd, ala Audioquest.

Until we get 100% confirmation, we can only speculate, guess, wonder, or just simply go with it and not worry about what those chips. Sometimes not knowing creates a blissful state. Maybe that's why some people don't get to involved with the technical aspects of computers and technology devices.
post #19 of 40
I believe this chip will be near-impossible to "clone", especially since it is already known to do more than authentication. Didn't apple already describe this as "Adaptive Signaling"?

Keep in mind how Thunderbolt works: It extends the PCIe bus outside the computer's chassis. An accessory, such as they Thnderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, includes the NIC hardware in the adapter. Thunderbolt does NOT provide NIC fuctionality!

Also, remeber that the A6 uses customized ARM cores. Apple could easily be exposing an internal databus to the Lightning connector. The USB-Lightning connector would then include the USB device tranceivers itself, and interface to the databus.

This would be an extremely powerful architecture, as it would allow accesories to have functionality not included on or directly supported by the A6. It would essentially extend the SoC! Potentially, this could support HDMI, analog A/V outputs, USB3, SD Card Reader, eSATA, game buttons, or whatever Apple or an authorized partner could imagine - it would just require a custom chip in the connector.

Assuming Apple has done this, the "Lightning" interface would be a closely-guarded secret. Unless it is very closely related to a standard ARM databus, the protocol would be a complete unknown. Furthermore, the end device would need to behave just like the official Apple device in order to be compatible with the OS.

Device makers partnering with Apple could get support for their devices in the OS or in custom apps.
post #20 of 40

I'm truly glad that there are so many "problems" with the 6th iPhone and its software.

We're already to the point of outright mocking into insignificance all this crap that could have "-gate" appended to it, which will serve as a very effective means of keeping disproportionate reactions to non-issues, blown up by the Anti-Apple Brigade to be "newsworthy" items (in essence, pure idiocy), in check.

post #21 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Back up. Apple created the tech behind it. Apple created the devices that use it. No one else makes the cables, nor does anyone else have to have the rights to them. They are, by definition, a fair and reasonable cost.

Yes they created the tech and devices, but it doesn't mean they should screw their customers on the price for it (it's just not the right thing to do to their customers). It's an overpriced phone accessory. Fair and reasonable would mean they are priced appropriately for being a phone accessory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I take it you don't do much pro-level anything, do you?

But this is not a pro-level cable in anyway. I have purchased pro-level cables and equipment for music, and this does not fall into any similar category. Again, this is a phone accessory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A smaller upfront cost (for an adapter that isn't about to fall apart and will work) than you'd be paying for the half dozen knockoffs over the lifespan of the port is a bad thing? 

I don't mind paying a bit more for a better quality cable, but Apple's price is significantly more. They don't have to be offered as cheap as the knock offs (of course), but bringing them a little closer so no one even bothers to look for an alternative to purchase would be a good move for all in my opinion (Apple would likely sell more and users would have a more reasonable cost).

By the way, I haven't had one cheaper cable/adapter alternative I purchased in the past fall apart on me under regular use. 

post #22 of 40
It's an overpriced phone accessory.

You keep using that word. You don't know what it means.

Fair and reasonable would mean they are priced appropriately for being a phone accessory.

You don't get to determine that. They do. Their tech, their port, their cabling, their rules. Unless you buy enough of them. Then it becomes a standard. lol.gif

…Apple's price is significantly more.

Yes, $20 is more than $—, as in unavailable, because Apple makes the cables that no one yet does. Do you also complain about the price of the Thunderbolt cable? Why not buy a third-party alternative for that instead of complaining at all? Ah, there aren't any. So Apple's price is probably gonna be fine if you actually want the product, don't you think? 

"The iPhone is just a phone. It's too expensive for just a phone. It needs to be priced 'appropriately'. I'll go buy a knockoff that is cheaper."

And thus Android was born.

post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You keep using that word. You don't know what it means.

You don't get to determine that. They do. Their tech, their port, their cabling, their rules. Unless you buy enough of them. Then it becomes a standard. lol.gif

Yes, $20 is more than $—, as in unavailable, because Apple makes the cables that no one yet does. Do you also complain about the price of the Thunderbolt cable? Why not buy a third-party alternative for that instead of complaining at all? Ah, there aren't any. So Apple's price is probably gonna be fine if you actually want the product, don't you think? 

"The iPhone is just a phone. It's too expensive for just a phone. It needs to be priced 'appropriately'. I'll go buy a knockoff that is cheaper."

And thus Android was born.

First, a phone is a lot different than the accessories, so your Android analogy just doesn't make much sense here. 

You don't seem to get my point regarding the cables/adapters. I never argued against it being Apple's rules and they get to set the price, etc. That's obviously the case. I was just saying that they are overpricing them for what they do and what they are, and that's why people look to knock offs instead. It also doesn't paint a real nice picture for Apple in my opinion. It feels very greedy, and not customer focused (but of course, as you stated, that's their choice and they have decided to go with it again and again unfortunately - and it taints their brand a bit by becoming known for overpricing things like cables). 

The Thunderbolt cable is just one more example of setting a higher price for a cable than what it is worth for what it does simply because they can (but again, questionable from the standpoint of being the right thing to do, especially when it comes to long-term customer relations). 

Edited by huffcw - 9/26/12 at 5:32pm
post #24 of 40

…they are overpricing them for what they do and what they are…

What they do? What they are? They are cables that allow your iPhone to connect to power and get data. If you don't want to pay their prices, you can go right ahead and not get data or use your iPhone past its first charge.

You don't have to pay $4 a gallon for gas, but don't expect to drive your car past the tank's emptying. You can make your own gas, if you wish. I hear diesel trucks run on used fryer oil.

Apple has been doing this for over a decade. You're certainly not the first to complain, but the vast majority doesn't complain at all because they understand the purpose here. It's not "greedy" in the slightest. Tech is expensive at launch. You pay what they cost or you don't get them. If cheaper solutions exist, you can get those. Don't complain to Apple when they fail.

post #25 of 40
Quote:

First, a phone is a lot different than the accessories, so your Android analogy just doesn't make much sense here. 

You don't seem to get my point regarding the cables/adapters. I never argued against it being Apple's rules and they get to set the price, etc. That's obviously the case. I was just saying that they are overpricing them for what they do and what they are, and that's why people look to knock offs instead. It also doesn't paint a real nice picture for Apple in my opinion. It feels very greedy, and not customer focused (but of course, as you stated, that's their choice and they have decided to go with it again and again unfortunately - and it taints their brand a bit by becoming known for overpricing things like cables). 

The Thunderbolt cable is just one more example of setting a higher price for a cable than what it is worth for what it does simply because they can (but again, questionable from the standpoint of being the right thing to do, especially when it comes to long-term customer relations). 

How do you know what a reasonable price for this cable is?  I think you're assuming it's nothing but copper wires inside an insulating jacket, so it ought to sell for the price of, say, a  cheap USB cable.  But all available information suggests that it is far more than that.  That part of the Lightening protocol includes actual functional circuitry inside the cable itself.  That being the case, it's less than a cable and more of a real accessory-- like a super miniaturized hub, or range extender.

Now, you can argue that Apple shouldn't have made their one and only connection to iDevices so complex, necessitating higher than average cable prices.  But what you cannot do is claim, without having any idea how much technology is incorporated into these cables, that Apple is arbitrarily overcharging for them.  

Myself, I'm very interested to see what Apple has in mind for how they're going about this.  Popular kvetching notwithstanding, Apple typically doesn't make stuff complicated just for fun.  If Apple decided on a "future proof" cabling scheme that includes circuitry in the cable, you can bet they have some interested scenarios in mind.

post #26 of 40

actually ,connector ,micro usb ,and dock are a standad connector ,apple is aim at money.we pay lots effort to develop the cale ,but no any progress .

post #27 of 40
Quote:

I'm sure someone will get into an accident and probably blame the maps app as well.  There's always one.

post #28 of 40
Quote:

I agree with you on prices of their accessories, but they have always been that way with dongles, adapters etc.  It has not hurt them in the past, so I doubt it will tarnish their image now.  We always want things cheaper, and in many cases their are alternatives, just as there will be in the future.  It is just that it is a new form of technology, and early adopters always pay the price until it has been out awhile.

post #29 of 40
Originally Posted by Jamescable View Post
actually ,connector ,micro usb ,and dock are a standad connector ,apple is aim at money.we pay lots effort to develop the cale ,but no any progress .

Hey, spammer. Nice to have a true insider's position on this affair, though, as completely incorrect as it is.

If you would be so kind as to tell us what your company, as a creator of knock-offs, is actually doing to create these new Lighting cables? You say you're developing them and haven't made any progress, so why is that the case? It would really help to settle some arguments we're having over here about the purpose of the hardware in the cables.

Feel free not to translate your reply if it's easier for you to post in Chinese. We can handle that over here.

post #30 of 40
Apple have done everything wrong with iPhone 5. Strange dimensions, appalling maps, downgrade quality software and an unmitigated ripoff cable. It's the first iPhone I don't want.
post #31 of 40

I don't find the dimensions strange at all. I love it. The maps, yes, they are terrible. Downgrade software? Nothing except Maps and Youtube, and the new Youtube app is not so bad. What else was "downgraded"? The App Store app is better in my opinion. Find my iPhone is WAY better, and well worth the upgrade to iOS 6 for that feature alone. I needed "lost mode" when I lost my iPhone 4s. Always logged in is nice too, and the interface is just better.

The iPhone 5 is easily twice as fast as the 4s, it's three times as fast in some benchmarks as the Galaxy SIII, and it still has the best screen by far in the whole market. The thinness and lighter weight is awesome, and absolutely does not make it feel cheap. The redesigned cable may feel like a ripoff at the time being, but trust me, it's an absolutely HUGE improvement. It's easily the best connector for any device I've ever seen, other than Magsafe. And it provides greater functionality than the huge outdated old connector. Finally we'll be able to use a camera connector kit and HDMI out without jailbreaking.

I'm still waiting for 3HK to launch 1800MHz LTE (supposedly within the next two days), but even the 3G performance is better than the 4s. When I have LTE, it's going to be MASSIVE.

Make no mistakes, there are only a few reasons to criticize the iPhone 5, but there are hundreds of reasons to love it.

Oh, and since you're in Hong Kong, if you get the iPhone 5 at 3HK or at Suning (I think), you can get Liquipel watersafe treatment for free with one month contract extension.

Edited by tonton - 9/27/12 at 8:19am
post #32 of 40

I'm not gonna get a reply from that spambot, am I? lol.gif

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post
Apple have done everything wrong with iPhone 5. Strange dimensions, appalling maps, downgrade quality software and an unmitigated ripoff cable. It's the first iPhone I don't want.

So go buy something else and rid us of your unintelligent, uninformed, unwarranted whining. 

post #33 of 40
I tried ordering a cable through Amazon, but then cancelled it after I became aware of the authentication chip. Here is the response I got from the retailer:

"Due to the recent development in one of the Apple factories http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444549204578020342979518814.html we are unable to get our product until late October. We are not sure if anyone will be able to fill in your order, let alone Apple itself. We apologize for the convenience, if you want us to refund your money, we can.

"Some of the customers expressed the issue with the chip being inserted into cables. We will have the same chip manufactured into the cable that will allow for syncing and full functionality of the product."

I guess we'll see... What I really need is the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. I've already bought 4 Lightning USB cables from Apple!
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I'm glad I didn't upgrade from my 4S and be a 5 beta tester.  It's always better to wait a bit.  Now I understand why patience is a virtue.  I'll wait till 6 when everything is finally tuned again.

post #35 of 40
QUOTE: sflocal 2012/09/26 03:46pm
Guess what will happen that Apple does not want. Somebody will buy a cheap $5 knockoff, put it in the shiny iP5 and cause it to burn-up or damage it and try taking it to an Apple store and say the phone was "defective" when in fact, trying to save a few bucks and go cheap ends up costing a lot more.

ANSWER: Nah. The consumer will realize that they were cheap and used a knockoff which damaged the phone. They will feel guilty. They will try to lie and get it replaced at the Apple store. If it is under warranty, Apple's employees will gladly replace the iPhone without question. Then the consumer will buy a REAL Apple Lightning Cable and other items at the Apple Store. The consumer will be happy and loyal to Apple. This is why Apple is so great.
post #36 of 40
My advice is when you have a well built Apple product use genuine Apple parts. Your Apple gadget is too good to risk ruining with a crap, cheap knock off just to save $20! I am not referring to such things as high quality RAM or replacement drives but even then I stress high quality.

As I've posted before, just research Apple Charger units for Macs and tingling. Tons of folks bought cheap knock offs from Amazon only to start an avalanche of blog posts about Macs that 'buzzed' or 'tingled' when you touched them. Heck it even got to to a 'Tingle-Gate' level with many Apple haters blaming Apple. Guess what ....? The knock offs failed to understand just how well designed Apple's are. The Tingling was because they assumed no earth (even using a plastic pin on the cable to adapter connection) but Apple actually uses a sophisticated passive system.

A friend of mine did exactly that and assumed as it was from Amazon it was OK... Ha!

Link below isn't about the Mac charger but an interesting look at iPhone chargers.

http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/bobsclass/194/References/JimStuff/Ken%20Shirriff's%20blog_%20Apple%20iPhone%20charger%20teardown_%20quality%20in%20a%20tiny%20expens.pdf
Edited by digitalclips - 9/28/12 at 6:05am
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #37 of 40
Does have the connectors trade marked? I know you used to be able to buy 30-pin cables and chargers cheap from Monoprice but they no longer sell them. You can still get the USB power-supply side but not the cable.
post #38 of 40
Quote:

If Apple would just sell the cables at a reasonable and fair cost, they may make more money because then not as many people would go looking for a knock-off alternative. Plus it would provide some good will for all the people who purchase their devices. 

$30 for a cable or adapter is crazy - and leaves me with a negative feeling about buying into the Apple ecosystem on an otherwise overwhelmingly positive experience. It doesn't have to be that way and shouldn't.

And - as part of the transition - I really feel they should include an adapter with all of the initial devices with the new connector. Instead, Apple has opted to get as much cash (and profit) as possible from all of the people buying Apple products rather than showing they care about their customers. I understand wanting to maximize profits, but in the long-term it's not always the best move. Treating customers right is what will keep them coming back time and time again. 

I am an Apple fan, but it's stuff like this that really makes it hard to be a proud Apple fan.

The Apple Lightning to USB cable is $19 retail, and you get one free with every new iDevice you purchase, exactly the same as the 30-pin dock connector to USB cables they are replacing.

The Lightning to 30-pin dock connector adapters are $29-$39 because they include a DAC due to the fact that there is no native analog audio output over Lightning. It would be stupid for Apple to include an adapter with new devices, because the only people who would ever use them are people who already own accessories with 30-pin dock connectors, and still want to use their new iDevice with their legacy gear. As surprising as it may be, many iDevice buyers are first time owners or don't have expensive docks or other accessories that would merit the purchase of an adapter. For these customers, the inclusion of the adapter would needlessly add to the cost of the device, and generate a significant amount of unnecessary e-waste. Remember the scale here; we're talking tens of millions of devices shipped in only the first few weeks.

Apple makes more profit off of the 30-pin dock connector cables that they continue to sell than they do off of the Lightning cables that cost more to manufacture and no doubt cost a pretty penny to design and engineer, yet sell for the same price. The switch to Lightning is going to be far more of a gold rush for accessory OEM's than it ever will be for Apple. Within 18 months, hardly anybody will be buying the adapters anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

The purpose of the cable chips is not "unknown" as this article states. It has been established that the function of each pin in the Lightning connector is dynamically assignable by the chip, depending on what the connected device calls for. What we don't know yet is how this signaling works or what its range of options is.
If there's a functional - i.e. not "disconnect all" - default pin assignment state, then it's possible that a dumb cable could replicate that. Maybe a simple charging cable? However that cable wouldn't be functional for other purposes, making it of limited interest.
If Apple follows past practice it will publish and license the Lightning cable specs in order to encourage the manufacture of third party peripherals.

Nobody seems to want to report about what the silicon in the cables really does, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's just an NDA issue for those in the know. I highly doubt that the pin assignment is anywhere near as dynamic as some folks have made it out to be. There are 2 differential signaling pairs that can be used interchangeably, but these are most likely swapped by the host, not the cable, just like Auto-MDIX for Ethernet cables. There are voltage and ground connections that seem to be reversible, but are probably always reserved for voltage and ground. And then there are two other pins that are mirrored by simple vias on the connector PCB and are most likely for Hot Plug Detect and System Clock.

All evidence points to Lightning being an implementation of MyDP over a custom designed Apple connector. If this is true, MyDP is freely licensable, and it won't be long before industrious folks are cranking out silicon to support 3rd party cables. AFAIK, Apple has already pointed those in the MFi program to sources for the chips and other parts necessary to build various accessories with Lightning connectors.

post #39 of 40

iPhone5 data cable

it seems no one colone the cable up to now ,so maybe ppl couldn't buy the cheap spare cable from chinese supplier .

it is too complex to copy this cable ,the maind difficulty is Lightning encryption IC .

Some information share with you,pls kindly be indulgent.  

structure drawing.

Ligthning IC

Lighting cable

we haven't got any positive infomation  from China main cable manufacturer ,but some customer told to me some supplier could supply USD11.0 /pcs to them ,he said it is a crazy price .and we think it is not reasonable .

About Crack logical encryption IC  method .

Standard cable's  data transmission ,Plaintext Transmit Mode ,comply with  standard protocol.such as TCP/IP protocol ,our windows ,iOS ,Linux  obey the rule .

Closed standard ,such as Apple's Lightning cable ,our PC 's file are standard file ,and it is a standard message ,the IC in charge of enciphered message ,then the device such as iPhone5 (6,7,8) ,decrypt and restore the file .

when we crack it ,if the apple update the protocol ,how could we do ?it is a problems,maybe you know the Wil upgrade encryption,then all the game player dead.

Thanks. my mail:xiaofanmine@yahoo.com.

James

post #40 of 40
So much for this Peter trying to promote his business saying the fake lightning cables won't be available before Xmas. The boys a troll.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Chinese suppliers still working to clone Apple's Lightning cable and integrated chip
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Chinese suppliers still working to clone Apple's Lightning cable and integrated chip