or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Users report some Lightning connectors get stuck in USB ports

Users report some Lightning connectors get stuck in USB ports - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post

actually, my ligthning port got stuck into an USB power adapter (apple!) and it was difficult to remove. It should not happen!

USB power adapter (apple!)gate!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

There is nothing below the cutouts on the flip side of the USB cables ....

Yes there is - the underside of the connector tab inside the socket! 

post #43 of 47

If I understand this correctly, some USB ports were not made robust enough to not permanently lock in a USB cable that is following the USB spec, and this is now being blamed on Apple.

The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

If I understand this correctly, some USB ports were not made robust enough to not permanently lock in a USB cable that is following the USB spec, and this is now being blamed on Apple.

I've just read the mechanical design spec for the USB 'A' receptacle and plug, and the depth of the 2 notches on the bottom-side of the plug is not shown or defined.

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/ecn1.pdf

However, on page 99 of the spec there is a cross-section drawing showing the top-side of the plug in the mated position with the receptacle. Common sense suggests that the top and bottom detents on the receptacle (which appear identical) should locate into top and bottom notches of similar depth. In that case, Apple's design of 'extra deep' notches on the bottom of their USB plug would indeed appear to be the problem.

post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stiles View Post

This happened to me. I plugged the USB cable into my Apple wired keyboard and it was completely locked into place. I've been using Macs since long before USB existed, and this is the first time I've ever experienced this sort of problem.

I brought the fused keyboard/cable pair into the Apple Store and the "Genius" just pulled on the cable as hard as he could until the wire ripped out. Real smooth!

At the end of the day I was given a brand new keyboard and USB cable out of the deal, so I can't complain. But I am extremely hesitant to plug the thing in again. I will probably plug it into a cheap hub from now on, to provide a safety buffer.

Perfect.  Thanks for the advice.  Now I know how to get a new keyboard.  My old one is getting dirty.  I'll try it this afternoon before the warranty goes out.  The Apple store in my area just a stroll away.

post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

Well, in many cases (such as mine) all the products involved were Apple products, so at some point I'd have to assume they'd shoulder the responsibility.

Anyway, this is the only time I've ever heard of any cable which could get stuck in a USB socket. Since it affects many sockets from many different companies, but it's only the Apple cable that's causing it, it seems fairly reasonable to say it's an issue with the cable, not the sockets... ???

post #47 of 47

Agreed John.

It's an Apple issue.

I have my iPhone 5 cable now stuck in my Apple wired keyboard's USB socket.

The explanations of the design / manufacturing issue make sense and there's no way it's possible to just pull it out.

Cheers

James

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Users report some Lightning connectors get stuck in USB ports