or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › ūüćČLazy Elite Food Stampers Gobbling From The Burdened Wealthy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ūüćČLazy Elite Food Stampers Gobbling From The Burdened Wealthy.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

"As part of Hunger Awareness Month, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton chose to experience what life is like for the 1.1 million food stamp recipients in Arizona.

Last week, Stanton, a Democrat, took part in a community challenge to live on a food stamp budget -- just $4.16 to buy food per day, or about $29 per week for one person.

Stanton said he was barely able to meet nutritional needs and lost four pounds, according to Fux 10 News Phoenix. He skipped meals and relied on ramen noodles, pasta and coffee, according to KTAR.

"I’m facing a long, hungry day and an even longer night getting dinner on the table, which requires making EVERYTHING from scratch on this budget," Stanton wrote on Facebook. "It’s only for a week, so I’ve got a decent attitude. If I were doing this with no end in sight, I probably wouldn’t be so pleasant."

Stanton concluded on Facebook at the end of the challenge: "The best 'program' for any struggling family is a job that pays a living wage."

A record 46.7 million Americans used food stamps in June, according to government data. But hunger still is widespread. Nearly one in five Americans did not have enough money to pay for food at times last year, according to Gallup."

 

Your thoughts?

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Your thoughts?

 

My thought is that:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"The best 'program' for any struggling family is a job that pays a living wage."

 

And that government welfare and poverty programs don't really help and most likely hurt in both the short and long term.

 

So the best 'program" for the poor is having a job that pays a living wage.

 

OK.

 

How do we get there?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"As part of Hunger Awareness Month, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton chose to experience what life is like for the 1.1 million food stamp recipients in Arizona.

Last week, Stanton, a Democrat, took part in a community challenge to live on a food stamp budget -- just $4.16 to buy food per day, or about $29 per week for one person.

Stanton said he was barely able to meet nutritional needs and lost four pounds, according to Fux 10 News Phoenix. He skipped meals and relied on ramen noodles, pasta and coffee, according to KTAR.

"I’m facing a long, hungry day and an even longer night getting dinner on the table, which requires making EVERYTHING from scratch on this budget," Stanton wrote on Facebook. "It’s only for a week, so I’ve got a decent attitude. If I were doing this with no end in sight, I probably wouldn’t be so pleasant."

Stanton concluded on Facebook at the end of the challenge: "The best 'program' for any struggling family is a job that pays a living wage."

A record 46.7 million Americans used food stamps in June, according to government data. But hunger still is widespread. Nearly one in five Americans did not have enough money to pay for food at times last year, according to Gallup."

Your thoughts?

 

 

My thoughts are that I've done it and while I was doing it as a student, I saw many the person on food stamps pull out their same $20 a week that I was living on for food, spend it on beer, cigs, and lottery tickets and then proceed to purchase their food with their food stamps.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"As part of Hunger Awareness Month, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton chose to experience what life is like for the 1.1 million food stamp recipients in Arizona.

Last week, Stanton, a Democrat, took part in a community challenge to live on a food stamp budget -- just $4.16 to buy food per day, or about $29 per week for one person.

Stanton said he was barely able to meet nutritional needs and lost four pounds, according to Fux 10 News Phoenix. He skipped meals and relied on ramen noodles, pasta and coffee, according to KTAR.

"I’m facing a long, hungry day and an even longer night getting dinner on the table, which requires making EVERYTHING from scratch on this budget," Stanton wrote on Facebook. "It’s only for a week, so I’ve got a decent attitude. If I were doing this with no end in sight, I probably wouldn’t be so pleasant."

Stanton concluded on Facebook at the end of the challenge: "The best 'program' for any struggling family is a job that pays a living wage."

A record 46.7 million Americans used food stamps in June, according to government data. But hunger still is widespread. Nearly one in five Americans did not have enough money to pay for food at times last year, according to Gallup."

 

Your thoughts?

 

 

Another day, another misleading sob story from Hands.  No one thinks life on food stamps is easy.  In fact, conservatives want people to be moved off of food stamps and other programs as a result of them becoming more successful.  If anything, you should be hammering the President on the fact that millions have been added to the food stamp rolls.  Barack Obama wants people to suffer on this program.  Right, Hands? 

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post
Stanton said he was barely able to meet nutritional needs and lost four pounds, according to Fux 10 News Phoenix. 

Your thoughts?

 

My thoughts are that I believe that a large percentage of poor people and people on food stamps are extremely obese. Losing a few pounds will only do most of them some good. 

post #6 of 14

That is right most of them are lazy and need to reduce for their own good.
 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

 

 

My thoughts are that I've done it and while I was doing it as a student, I saw many the person on food stamps pull out their same $20 a week that I was living on for food, spend it on beer, cigs, and lottery tickets and then proceed to purchase their food with their food stamps.

What number of Americans do you think genuinely rely on food stamps for food?

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

 

Another day, another misleading sob story from Hands.  No one thinks life on food stamps is easy.  In fact, conservatives want people to be moved off of food stamps and other programs as a result of them becoming more successful.  If anything, you should be hammering the President on the fact that millions have been added to the food stamp rolls.  Barack Obama wants people to suffer on this program.  Right, Hands? 

They don't and neither should they obviously. Conservatives under people like Romney and Ryan, no doubt would just cut the stamps to those who need them. Great way to reduce the numbers on them! lol. 

 

America since Bush has been increasing it's population of low wage earners. People who through employment could once provide for themselves now find themselves needing government aid. I find that depressing, and Americans need to start fighting for their own jobs, instead of excepting that they don't matter anymore. 

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

They don't and neither should they obviously. Conservatives under people like Romney and Ryan, no doubt would just cut the stamps to those who need them. Great way to reduce the numbers on them! lol. 

 

America since Bush has been increasing it's population of low wage earners. People who through employment could once provide for themselves now find themselves needing government aid. I find that depressing, and Americans need to start fighting for their own jobs, instead of excepting that they don't matter anymore. 

 

Let me translate:  1.  Romney and Ryan are going to hurt the poor by cutting food stamps for people that need them!  2.  Bush!  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

Let me translate:  1.  Romney and Ryan are going to hurt the poor by cutting food stamps for people that need them!  2.  Bush!  

 lol.gif Let me translate- 

 

...seriously though, what a great idea to help those most in need. And before you write it off as just more government waste, the private sector has already put $4 billion dollars into it. 

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #11 of 14

Hands, your opening post contained the claim that "the best 'program" for the poor is having a job that pays a living wage."

 

Do you agree with this statement and, if so, how do you propose we get to that point?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Hands, your opening post contained the claim that "the best 'program" for the poor is having a job that pays a living wage."

 

Do you agree with this statement and, if so, how do you propose we get to that point?

I do agree with it. One of the best ways to begin dealing with it is to have limits on how much candidates can spend during elections. Green jobs can and should be made a priority. I don't have time to get more into this now, but flexibility in policies with a common sense approach is needed above all else.

 

 

 

Here's how not to deal with it. I copied and pasted it here from a post made over at HuffPo by someone named elfish-

 

"How Republicans sent Jobs Overseas

I. PROVIDE TAX INCENTIVES TO SHIP  JOBS OVERSEAS:

In 2003, the Republicans passed new tax laws that gave businesses instant profits by shipping jobs over seas:

1. OVERSEA: Business receive Tax Deductions for moving and running a businesses over seas.

   AMERICA: There is No Comparable Tax Deductions for starting and running a business in the US.

2. OVERSEAS: Companies can Defer tax payments for years (sometimes forever) on profits made overseas. 

   AMERICA: US corporations are required to Immediately pay taxes on any profits made in the US.

3. OVERSEAS: US Corporations get both a Tax Deduction and Tax Credit on Foreign Taxes. For every $100 in foreign taxes paid a corporation gets $135 in savings: $35 in deductions and $100 in Tax Credit.

   AMERICA: No comparable credit for US corporations.

4. OVERSEAS: There is a "Check Box" option that allows overseas subsidiaries to disappear from the US Tax Rolls, shielding profit from taxes.

   AMERICA: There are no comparable way for companies operating in America to hide from US taxes.

BOTTOM LINE: US Tax Code does everything to ship jobs overseas.

II. RESULT: MILLIONS OF JOBS OVERSEAS:

As soon as the new tax laws were passed under George Bush, the number of jobs sent overseas tripled:

2002 - 588,000
2003 - 315,300
2004 - 536,500
2005 - 832,000
2006 - 963,500
2007 - 1,095,500
2008 - 1,252,000

Total: 5,582,800 

If those jobs were here, the unemployment rates would be 5.7%

III. ROMNEY'S ROLE. As Governor, Romney vetoed legislation that would have prohibited sending State jobs overseas and bared state contractors from sending jobs overseas. He even sent State Call Center Jobs overseas."

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I do agree with it

 

Okay.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

One of the best ways to begin dealing with it is to have limits on how much candidates can spend during elections.

 

Zoinks?!? Wow, now there's a non sequitur. Wow.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Green jobs can and should be made a priority.

 

A priority for who? How do "green jobs" (whatever those are), ensure that more people will be paid more?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I don't have time to get more into this now, but flexibility in policies with a common sense approach is needed above all else.

 

That sounds like vague and ambiguous polito-speak. Flexibility in what policies? A common sense approach to what? Can you be more specific about what you think would cause more people to get paid more in order to avoid the need for welfare programs (e.g., food stamps, et al)?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I do agree with it. One of the best ways to begin dealing with it is to have limits on how much candidates can spend during elections. Green jobs can and should be made a priority. I don't have time to get more into this now, but flexibility in policies with a common sense approach is needed above all else.

 

 

 

Here's how not to deal with it. I copied and pasted it here from a post made over at HuffPo by someone named elfish-

 

"How Republicans sent Jobs Overseas

I. PROVIDE TAX INCENTIVES TO SHIP  JOBS OVERSEAS:

In 2003, the Republicans passed new tax laws that gave businesses instant profits by shipping jobs over seas:

1. OVERSEA: Business receive Tax Deductions for moving and running a businesses over seas.

   AMERICA: There is No Comparable Tax Deductions for starting and running a business in the US.

2. OVERSEAS: Companies can Defer tax payments for years (sometimes forever) on profits made overseas. 

   AMERICA: US corporations are required to Immediately pay taxes on any profits made in the US.

3. OVERSEAS: US Corporations get both a Tax Deduction and Tax Credit on Foreign Taxes. For every $100 in foreign taxes paid a corporation gets $135 in savings: $35 in deductions and $100 in Tax Credit.

   AMERICA: No comparable credit for US corporations.

4. OVERSEAS: There is a "Check Box" option that allows overseas subsidiaries to disappear from the US Tax Rolls, shielding profit from taxes.

   AMERICA: There are no comparable way for companies operating in America to hide from US taxes.

BOTTOM LINE: US Tax Code does everything to ship jobs overseas.

II. RESULT: MILLIONS OF JOBS OVERSEAS:

As soon as the new tax laws were passed under George Bush, the number of jobs sent overseas tripled:

2002 - 588,000
2003 - 315,300
2004 - 536,500
2005 - 832,000
2006 - 963,500
2007 - 1,095,500
2008 - 1,252,000

Total: 5,582,800 

If those jobs were here, the unemployment rates would be 5.7%

III. ROMNEY'S ROLE. As Governor, Romney vetoed legislation that would have prohibited sending State jobs overseas and bared state contractors from sending jobs overseas. He even sent State Call Center Jobs overseas."

 

 

1.  Limiting how much candidates can spend will not work.  In fact, things have gotten worse every time we've tried that...since the 1970s.  Candidates will simply find ways around it, just like everyone found ways around McCain-Feingold.  The only way we have a chance to limit the money in these races is to try and limited the time they can campaign.  Both parties would have to restructure their political calendars to make this happen.  Until then, the money is here to stay...as is permanent campaigning.  

 

2.  There are two problems with your analysis of Republican positions here.  First, the examples you provide are very simplified and highly misleading.  What you're doing is conflating the net results for companies that take advantage of current tax law when moving overseas with specific policy positions of Republicans.  No politician in his right mind would support specific tax credits for companies that move jobs overseas, for example.  Secondly, you're ignoring that these corporations are often moving to escape our confiscatory tax and regulatory systems to begin with.  We've made it too expensive to do business here.  

 

3.  With respect to jobs sent overseas:  The Democrats tried this in 2004, and it didn't work then for the same reason it won't work now:  You're ignoring the jobs that were sent IN to America.  Yes, we "exported" jobs.  But we also imported millions of jobs.  So no, the unemployment rate would not be 5.7%.  It would remain relatively unchanged, because you can't simply subtract jobs sent overseas without doing the same to the ones imported to America.     

 

4.  The Romney claim has been thoroughly debunked and explained.  He didn't veto the bill because he wanted state contractors to send jobs overseas.  This makes him about as much of an outsourcer of jobs as is my dog.  

 

 

Really, Hands.  You're sounding more desperate by the day.  And you've still provided no real rationale for re-electing this President.   

 

 

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › ūüćČLazy Elite Food Stampers Gobbling From The Burdened Wealthy.