or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPhone 5 users seeing 'purple haze' in pictures, claim camera is defective

iPhone 5 users seeing 'purple haze' in pictures, claim camera is defective - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

I have NO idea why you're trying to explain this to me.  

Looking back now, I completely misread your post. 

My apologies. I'll edit accordingly. 

post #42 of 64

So I'm assuming this'll get picked up (unjustifiably) by the tech media en masse tomorrow. 

post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Really??  Take a picture with your camera pointing directly to the sun and post it - unmodified.  I'll be you're blowing smoke.
I think boredumb was making a self-deprecating joke...it was a play on the words "flare" and "flair". Unless you were responding with humor and then I missed it.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #44 of 64

That's a pretty strong effect, not too easy. there likely wouldn't be a high quality image 'behind' the flare.

The truth will set you free.
post #45 of 64

You don't need a hasselblad. A nikon or Canon with a good lens will be fine.

post #46 of 64
I don't have this or other problems I see in articles. I'm sure a few might have problems but this happens with most new devices. Search Samsung problems  for the Galaxy 3, they had more than a few. I'm sure the problems that any have will be taken care of. I don't use Maps so I don't care about those, I haven't looked at them because we have a GPS built into our Jeep with voice. We don't need a phone for that. 

I think the haters need to get a new hobby honestly. It's a lousy thing to do, flooding any article about an Apple product. We have Apple, Android and Windows devices. We have 7 in our home and a pile of phones, and devices.  I don't dash to other brands of devices and rant. It's not cool. 
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

...I recall that the iPhone camera lens is a 5 element one. Two or three of these lenses are probably cemented as a chromatic aberration correcting doublet or triplet (achromate), which can be expensive. If so, Apple has done about all that can be done in a compact lens system. The design of these lenses and their parameters are so well understood that it is unimaginable that the lens is sub-optimal in this respect but limited instead by physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticsguy View Post

A correction to your article. The iPhone camera and virtually all other cell phone cameras use aspheric lenses - usually molded plastic. There are many patents which describe the lenses used in cell phones. They are amazingly small do perform quite well but because of their small size it is not possible to put in light baffles and apertures to control scattered light in the lens.
Large professional quality lenses do a lot internally to control flare. In addition to baffles and apertures they also use much higher quality surfaces for less scattered light and better anti reflection coatings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

You don't need a hasselblad. A nikon or Canon with a good lens will be fine.

Some queries then:

If the lens is a 5-element (f/2.4 aperture I believe) design, is it likely to be plastic?

Is it likely to incorporate an achromate (doublet or triplet)?

Would there be some room then for one or more baffles?

Is the image it creates worse than expected for such a geometry?

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #48 of 64
This problem is easily resolved by smoking less pot.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Free Jimi Hendrix ringtone to all affected.
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!
EDIT: Rats! Hill60 beat me to it, but great satirical minds thinks alike!...
/
/

Fires up Garageband...

...ome Purple Haze ringtone coming right up.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #50 of 64

If everyone has this many issues over a phone and it is that life-shattering, then they need to return their device and get something else.  It is one thing to complain about a major flaw in the design, but I think this is getting out of control.  Just exchange it for a Windows or Android phone and be done with it.  Pictures a little purple?  I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but all of these articles are just one big whine-fest.  Get something else or learn to take a picture, but quit crying.

post #51 of 64
It was a secret feature originally created during 'Project Purple', but no one was allowed to talk about it.

post #52 of 64
Might be a good idea, to not shoot a pic with a strong light source behind it. Hell, I remember my Brownie starflash took terrible pics, if the sun was behind the subject. (now that dates me)
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Some queries then:

If the lens is a 5-element (f/2.4 aperture I believe) design, is it likely to be plastic?

Is it likely to incorporate an achromate (doublet or triplet)?

Would there be some room then for one or more baffles?

Is the image it creates worse than expected for such a geometry?

All the best.

It can be any of those. But a Canon 'L' lens or Nikon pro lens will likely incorporate very expensive glass with nano coatings that will greatly reduce flare. A single lens of the type I use costs way more than the entire iPhone. And even such a lens can exhibit some flare in such extreme circumstances as pointing at the sun.  The details don't matter, suffice it to say that the results are noticeable. Good luck.

post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

It can be any of those. But a Canon 'L' lens or Nikon pro lens will likely incorporate very expensive glass with nano coatings that will greatly reduce flare. A single lens of the type I use costs way more than the entire iPhone. And even such a lens can exhibit some flare in such extreme circumstances as pointing at the sun.  The details don't matter, suffice it to say that the results are noticeable. Good luck.

Plus you can also add UV, polarising and other filters to those lenses which will further reduce lens flare.

Edited by hill60 - 9/26/12 at 9:40pm
post #55 of 64
I sometimes get this with my 2000 dollar lens. As someone pointed out if you point a lens at the sun you are going to get some interesting results. I am quite sure the iPhone lenses aren't nano-coated. People need something to complain about.
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Plus you can also add UV, polarising and other filters to those lenses which will further reduce lens flare.

you actually need those flower-type hoods to reduce flare... :D

post #57 of 64
Such a big issue that I'm only hearing about on Apple Insider?

...and then everyone is crying about iHaters iHating on Apple on the iDevices the iHaters purchased...iGuess for the sole purpose of iHating on Apple?

Anywho, as others who weren't so super quick to get defensive as if someone just smacked their mothers, seems like a giant non-issue to me.
post #58 of 64
That's not chromatic aberration, it's a simple case of lens flare: light scattering from surfaces in the lens array. Violet the shortest wavelength in the visible and is scattered the most. The smaller the lens the greater the flare per surface. The sapphire lens covering might be part of the problem (if indeed there is a greater one, versus say the iP4S) because is had a high refractive index (1.8).

Looking at the examples it any worse than typical in compact cameras. As noted by others, SLRs have much larger lens elements and are less affected. It's possible Apple could reduce the observed flare in the software. (After all, there's an iPhone app that adds flare).
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

I have NO idea why you're trying to explain this to me.  

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

This is a non- issue , seen with the best of cameras and in Hollywood movies.
Bad lighting- point the camera different or change your lighting. Problem solved.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Yeah, this is lens flare. What is it about Apple products and people trying to find every little thing to complain about?

Apple has revolutionized so many technologies, and a majority of them have been distilled into the iPhone.  The unfortunate side effect is that there are many people who don't know where to draw the line with regards to their expectations of the iPhone's capabilities.

"History will reduce the Apple Watch—if it ever reaches the shop floor—
to a footnote in the annals of technology."

-Benjamin Frost

"History will reduce the Apple Watch—if it ever reaches the shop floor—
to a footnote in the annals of technology."

-Benjamin Frost

post #61 of 64

It's certainly not limited to the sun. I get a large purple flare in shots with an 8000 lm soft box just out of frame. It might seem silly to complain about this effect in 2012, considering the popularity of intentional-picture-f*cker-upper Instagram, but serious shots with the iPhone 5 will require more deliberate composition.

Vaelian View Post
The only strange part to me is that if this was actually violet, the iPhone would see a blue haze since it can't see violet (at least the 4S can't).

Confusing violet with ultraviolet? I'm pretty sure 4S pictures include the color purple.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #62 of 64
Or ... a better camera and photographers who don't understand light.
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I'd have to see more samples to make a judgment, but it seems like a nonissue to me. I can see the headlines: "iPhone 5 Photos Contain Artifacts When Pointed Directly at Sun". SunGate!

They really should wait until "FINGERPRINT GATE" has waned a bit, pace yourselves people, pace yourselves!

ETA: Oh and a suitably effective lens hood (something I routinely leave mounted on my slr lenses) would add an unacceptable amount to the thickness.

post #64 of 64

Taken this morning, pointed towards and just below the rising sun - iPhone 5 camera cannot be too bad!

Towards the foreground, where the lake changes depth markedly, there is a purple tinge but not overwhelming. (A tourist in this image was using an iPad to take similar panoramas.) 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPhone 5 users seeing 'purple haze' in pictures, claim camera is defective