or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012

Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012 - Page 4

post #121 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, that will end any other Android tablet development.
I mean, what's the point?

Gotta agree.  Eventually, it would just not be worth it.  Plus you would have to keep removing features to get the price point low enough.  That said, one of those cheap tablets may end up being the "bathroom magazine rack" of the 21st century.

post #122 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

+1

This is the same game microsoft is playing, except microsoft is really inept (it's starting it's race at the top, and will wipe out all it's OEMs).

This will bifurcate the tablet market just like the phone market... the 'cheap' consumers of content (I want a portable web viewer and a couple free apps) will flock to the low 'almost free' tablets, and those that 'value' content and experience will continue to buy iPad.  Expect a 60-40 split with Android(amazon,nook, and every other eyeball grabbing corp) being the 60.  

It's a scorched earth policy now for Google and Microsoft,  They have to 'own' their ecosystem, and 'winning' to them is all about establishing a user population by spending money to buy them.    Eyeballs and CC#s are the game now,   And Apple and Amazon are the clear winners at the moment, and with Apple effectively controlling it's platform, Google and eventually, microsoft, need to give away hardware to catch up, which kills OEM partnerships and degrades the user experience (You won't see them give away an iPad quality device for $99).  

The silly thing is, that every one developing an app will also develop it for iOS, and with it's CHI guidelines, it will be easier to write and more effective than trying to write an app for 'Android' (at 3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,14,19" at every possible geometry, and varying sound/touch/connection interconnection, and obtw, supporting from 2.2 to 4.1 versions),  So in the end, there will be no killer app for Android, as consumer grade apps  will be 'funded' by sales/use in the iOS space.  It will be really hard for Google get some 'stickiness' beyond the technophiles and apple haters.

Value is a subjective term.  If they only download books, browse the web and check e-mail among some other apps, then they get value out of their purchase, and they saved money.  If others value the retina display and the ability to run most of the apps in the AppStore, then the iPad is an amazing value to them as well.  I do agree on the developer angle.  Why develop tablet apps for the platform if it is not cost effective?  Unless Google subsidizes them in some capacity, I could see the number of apps dwindle for the Android tablet platform in the future.

post #123 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

Your ignorance is astounding.

I am curious as to how well those devices will be selling if the $99 tablet comes to market.  There are only so may ads people are willing to put up with before it degrades the user experience to the point of not being worth it just to have a lower entry price.  I have never used one so I cannot comment on how well they work, but I am trying to figure out how they will make up for selling them that low without bombarding you with ads an d using low quality hardware, as the models you listed sell for much more.

post #124 of 137
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post
Your reading comprehension is good I see.......

Either I got something wrong, which would imply that you're going to correct me, or I was absolutely right, in which case there was no reason for you to have posted at all.

I don't see any corrections. Guess I was right.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #125 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You don't see Kindle Fires everywhere? I do -- everyone and their mother has one, despite my feelings that a Nexus 7 would be a better product overall, if only because it supports both the Kindle and Nook reading apps, and gives access to more content.

Great point. Android's market share dominates even the next competitor, Apple. Despite the fact that there is almost no marketing for the Nexus brand of phones, and it's almost exclusively picked up only by the hardcore enthusiasts.

A $99 tablet with the Nexus branding means it passes Google's standards and runs stock Android, receiving updates directly from them, and is easily modded. That appeals to anyone. Cheap tablets of poor quality run Android and provide a terrible user experience--a cheap tablet that provides a high user experience with the stock Android OS is a win for consumers and surely will sell well.

Your basis of build quality is centered around one experience at Staples? Everybody is constantly playing with those products, with no disregard for their well being. I've seen laptops, tablets and phones in poor condition everywhere--Best Buy, Sprint, etc.--because they're floor models. Missing styluses, missing port covers (even ripped off), damaged hinges, cracks..

Regardless of the product you're purchasing, I don't think an assessment based on floor model alone is a fair way to evaluate build quality. I'm not saying that you can't feel it, touch it, use and experience it and generate an otherwise different answer on it's build quality, but making a statement that a bent USB connector indicates poor quality on a floor model seems like poor reasoning.

Do people really know that the Nexus brand receives updates more than their other branded Android phones?  I don't think that is a fact that the average consumer is aware of.  Let's be honest, Android is widespread due to the initial price of the device, BOGO offers for phones and the flood of models by different manufacturers.  I will agree that screen size enters into that as well (tablets and phones), but reasons like being easily modded only appeal to a tiny minority of users.  I don't understand why people are so defensive over this point.  So what if you bought it because it was cheaper?  If it provides value for you then you have made a smart purchase.  If you are able to afford an iPad or iPhone and it provides value to you as well, then you too have made a smart purchase.  Consumers should buy what they can afford, and try to get the most value for their money.  That is not a sin, rather it is behavior that should be applauded.  If price was removed from the equation, I would bet most would prefer an iPad as the sales numbers indicate although there are not many sales numbers out there for the Android based tablets.  Many people judge the quality of a device based on the display model.  If it looks like it is not durable or looks cheap, then people will shy away from it.  Presentation and design are important, but I do believe price is the deciding factor.  Would you rather drive a Chevy Cobalt or a Bentley if price was no issue, even if you could swap out the engine in the Chevy?

post #126 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either I got something wrong, which would imply that you're going to correct me, or I was absolutely right, in which case there was no reason for you to have posted at all.

I don't see any corrections. Guess I was right.
I was just meaning that yes, you summed up what i think about them tracking users for targeting ads. I just don't see it as such a horrible thing like many of you do. It just doesn't bother me much. I'd much rather see an ad for something I may be interested in than something that I would never be interested in. So tell me why so many of you freak out about this practice?
post #127 of 137
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post
I'd much rather see an ad for something I may be interested in than something that I would never be interested in. So tell me why so many of you freak out about this practice?

We "freak out" because we'd much rather be the ones to consciously determine what we do and do not want to see, not some perceived notion from some third party, and not through the clandestine write-away theft of our information. 

We "freak out" because this happens to us even when we do explicitly not use services put out by these companies. 

We "freak out" because to remove oneself from the grasp of these companies, we have to use Little Snitch or the OS' firewall. And that's disturbing.

post #128 of 137

I'd using it as a (web-) reader if the screen is good enough quality wise and as a glorified authorization key for multiple accounts of various online services if battery life doesn't disappoint.

Other than that I doubt 99$ incorporates enough horsepower to enjoy more demanding stuff like 3D games.

post #129 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Same way Microsoft sells hardware (XBOX) at a loss so it can make up the difference with software (games). There's nothing wrong with this.

Good point.

However... buying a game system almost always guarantees you will buy games for it... as a game system doesn't really do much unless you feed it software (or paid video content or other services)

I'm sure Microsoft makes plenty of money selling games... and that's pretty much how the gaming industry has worked for decades.

On the other hand... someone could buy a tablet and never spend another dime on it. You can browse the web, check your email, use free apps, or play your own ripped videos or music... for free.

That's why it's more of a gamble to lose money on a tablet with the hopes of making it back in software.

Amazon is probably in the best position in the "lose money on the hardware, make it up in content" method of business. Kindle books are a hot item that people pay real money for.

Android tablet apps? Not so much.

Then again... Google is actually in the advertising business... so you don't really have to buy anything else. YOU are the product!

So this is how it goes:

Apple: make money on the hardware and any money from software is a bonus
Microsoft XBox: make $0 on the hardware but make money on games
Amazon: make $0 on the hardware but make money on books and Prime subscriptions (plus generating sales in their regular online retail store)
Google: make $0 on the hardware but make money in advertising revenue

The question then becomes... how much advertising revenue will Google generate per tablet? Will it ever offset the cost of losing money on the hardware?

And doesn't Google make more money on iOS? That might throw a wrench in the whole thing...
post #130 of 137
Google will close it in the end to stop others. You see, HW/SW integration is the key. What will Fandroids say then?
post #131 of 137
I'd like to see what the hardware and storage of a $100 tablet will be from google. I already own a Nexus 7 16 gigabyte version, and it is an amazing tablet for the price. I wouldn't mind a ipad if it was smaller. It is just the right size for reading books and playing games on the go.
post #132 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We "freak out" because we'd much rather be the ones to consciously determine what we do and do not want to see, not some perceived notion from some third party, and not through the clandestine write-away theft of our information. 

We "freak out" because this happens to us even when we do explicitly not use services put out by these companies. 

We "freak out" because to remove oneself from the grasp of these companies, we have to use Little Snitch or the OS' firewall. And that's disturbing.

You do know that most big corporation follow the same concept of "recommending" things for you to buy. Even Apple has the "Genius" recommended apps. So if you're so huge on privacy, I "Recommend" you stop using technology and live with the Amish.

post #133 of 137

Regarding the $99 tablet, I read somewhere that it might be a carrier subsidized 3g tablet. Probably retailing at around $350 or $450, but will be at $100 with a 2 year contract. Dunno if it's true, it's all rumors at this point.

post #134 of 137
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post
You do know that most big corporation follow the same concept of "recommending" things for you to buy. Even Apple has the "Genius" recommended apps. So if you're so huge on privacy, I "Recommend" you stop using technology and live with the Amish.

I have never turned on Genius. I do not use Genius. I am not thrown up ads because of Genius. My information is not still taken from me if I do not use Genius.

I do live with the Amish. Pious as all get out, but they're technology hypocrites. Half of them have cell phones.

post #135 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

A $99 tablet is not going to lose money. People are way overestimating the cost of a tablet.

In fact, the biggest cost is just the touchscreen and the glass associated with it. A dual-core CPU is dirt cheap as well as 8GB memory. The cost of such 7" tablet could be as low as $50-60, as long as you strip away most of the ports/buttons, and use some cheap shell. The software is expensive to develop but in this case, it's 'free-riding' the software for other devices.

Why don't you tell us who is selling tablets at $99 who is 1) making money and selling 10s of millions of them. Don't say Amazon because they haven't shown any proof that they are making money on theirs and they also have not reported what their sales numbers are or have been EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

You're really making this up. $150-$200 to break even is a myth. Like I said, the parts cost at most $50 for a dual-core 8GB tablet. All those "R&D, ....." costs, really is nothing, because, when you're going for a $99 retail price tablet, you'll definitely sell in 10s of millions, so the average cost on those you mentioned would be spread and will be pretty low per device. Plus, e.g. marketing cost will be very low because, just the fact you're selling such device will create a lot of buzz and that's self-marketing.

You can say it'll be a low quality device and you won't buy it even if it's free, that's fine, some people here will think that way and they're free to make their choices. But I'm talking about profitability, not quality, you want quality device you go buy higher-priced devices. $99 device, consumer will have lower expectations and they'll be ok with e.g. cheap shell or lower battery life (I still expect 7-8 hours because it's ez to do for 7").

Me thinks, what you consider a tablet to be, is different and of lesser requirements than most OR you should have worked for HP so you could have saved them 100s of millions on their failed tablet efforts. Obviously your knowledge of the tablet hardware market and marketing is greater and more in depth than HP's and everyone else's for that matter.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #136 of 137
The iPhone is also supported by ads. Ads are a very important long term income stream that exists beyond said gadget production. It is exactly why we got the new IOS maps.
post #137 of 137

The world is going to get mighty hard for almost all the OEMs over the next 5 years.

Google backstabbing all their partners (hell even Moto).

MS backstabbing all of their OEMs by going into the devices business.

At some point (after all the android competition is out of business) Samsung will take the latest code drop of android and strip out all the google garbage and call it their own (s-OS if you will)

Almost have to feel sorry for all those suckers.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012