or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012 - Page 2

post #41 of 137
Well, that's one way solve tablet thefts. Devalue the hardware.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 137
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Well, that's one way solve tablet thefts. Devalue the hardware.

 

Wait, people were actually stealing Android tablets? Ever?

 

They can't even be SOLD; who would want to steal one?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #43 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Wait, people were actually stealing Android tablets? Ever?

 

They can't even be SOLD; who would want to steal one?

 

Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

 

Your ignorance is astounding.

post #44 of 137

Great news! This will further cement Android's position as pure junk and cheap crap.lol.gif

 

Who is this tablet going to be marketed towards? Homeless people?

 

There is a myth going around that Android users are somehow more technically inclined than Apple users? I say, bull fucking shit. That couldn't be further from the truth. Android users are for the most part cheap bastards who can't afford to invest in decent hardware.

 

Android is all about being cheap. It's a free OS running on mostly bottom of the barrel, cheap devices, where corners are cut every step of the way. What do you get when you take an inferior OS and run it on some cheap hardware? You get worthless garbage that any self respecting person would not even bother to use.

 

Using an Apple device is like eating at a fine restaurant, using Android is like slumming around and eating out of garbage cans, along with a bunch of rats. Technically speaking, both users end up getting fed, though the experience is quite different. But to each his own! 

post #45 of 137
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

 

Your ignorance is astounding.

 

iPad has 95% use share. 

 

But of course, to a troll, the sale of one unit of one model of one tablet running Android counts as "they're selling like hotcakes".

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #46 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Who is this tablet going to be marketed towards? Homeless people?

Supposedly they may be positioning it for the One Laptop Per Child initiative. It's not being developed for mainstream consumers if you were to believe the DigiTimes article.

 

http://one.laptop.org/

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #47 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

iPad has 95% use share. 

 

But of course, to a troll, the sale of one unit of one model of one tablet running Android counts as "they're selling like hotcakes".

 

Sorry you don't think Android is worth a damn.

 

You don't think anything non-Apple is worth a damn though, so it's not really surprising.

 

What's life like, knowing that you can't use anything non-Apple? You seem to reject and oppose any competitor, so how does it feel to lock yourself to one company and have no options?

post #48 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/152936/google-reportedly-planning-to-launch-99-nexus-7-by-end-of-2012/40#post_2199727"]Great news! This will further cement Android's position as pure junk and cheap crap.lol.gif

Who is this tablet going to be marketed towards? Homeless people?

There is a myth going around that Android users are somehow more technically inclined than Apple users? I say, bull fucking shit. That couldn't be further from the truth. Android users are for the most part cheap bastards who can't afford to invest in decent hardware.

Android is all about being cheap. It's a free OS running on mostly bottom of the barrel, cheap devices, where corners are cut every step of the way. What do you get when you take an inferior OS and run it on some cheap hardware? You get worthless garbage that any self respecting person would not even bother to use.

Using an Apple device is like eating at a fine restaurant, using Android is like slumming around and eating out of garbage cans, along with a bunch of rats. Technically speaking, both users end up getting fed, though the experience is quite different. But to each his own! 

Funny thing is that google targets wrong user base selling the cheap stuff. No wonder they make used to make before ios6 the 2/3 of its mobile money from apple users
post #49 of 137
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
Sorry you don't think Android is worth a damn.

 

I think you're more sorry that the vast majority of the general public has said the same.


You don't think anything non-Apple is worth a damn though, so it's not really surprising.

 

Of course this is the case, being based in fact, reason, and with evidence to back it up. It couldn't possibly just be a lie borne of the fact that you're in a corner and are trying to turn the argument back on me. Nope. 


What's life like, knowing that you can't use anything non-Apple? You seem to reject and oppose any competitor, so how does it feel to lock yourself to one company and have no options?

 

lol, irony from an Android user.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #50 of 137

You made me laugh.

post #51 of 137
Why not just give out for free? Google wanted the user's data, they should also provide everyone free unlimited Internet access~
post #52 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

You forget R&D, manufacturing costs, shipping, returns (defects or just dissatisfied users), marketing, retail costs (bodies at the cash register and the minimum margin the big box stores want).     I'm assuming at the moment (for the next 18 months, until Moore's Law kicks in), the base cost of the device likely around $150-$200 including all of those elements, to 'break even.'   And the last I saw, Google is not a 'not for profit' company.

 

You're really making this up. $150-$200 to break even is a myth. Like I said, the parts cost at most $50 for a dual-core 8GB tablet. All those "R&D, ....." costs, really is nothing, because, when you're going for a $99 retail price tablet, you'll definitely sell in 10s of millions, so the average cost on those you mentioned would be spread and will be pretty low per device. Plus, e.g. marketing cost will be very low because, just the fact you're selling such device will create a lot of buzz and that's self-marketing.

 

You can say it'll be a low quality device and you won't buy it even if it's free, that's fine, some people here will think that way and they're free to make their choices. But I'm talking about profitability, not quality, you want quality device you go buy higher-priced devices. $99 device, consumer will have lower expectations and they'll be ok with e.g. cheap shell or lower battery life (I still expect 7-8 hours because it's ez to do for 7").

post #53 of 137

This would be in line with Google's basic product strategy: Dump stuff on the market below cost, drive everyone else out of the business by making it impossible to profit other than through advertising, quality doesn't matter because users will take "free" over "paid", regardless of quality. Or, in other words, control by destruction.

 

So, despite the source, the rumor is consistent with Google's business practices to date.

post #54 of 137

I have set my default search provider to Bing and so far the results have been as good as or better than Googles from my experience. The bing site is even showing a Bing/Google challenge lately where you can do a blind compare of search results and judge for yourself. Times they are changing if I can be converted. :>)

post #55 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I think you're more sorry that the vast majority of the general public has said the same.

 

Of course this is the case, being based in fact, reason, and with evidence to back it up. It couldn't possibly just be a lie borne of the fact that you're in a corner and are trying to turn the argument back on me. Nope. 

 

lol, irony from an Android user.

 

It's true; you seem to hate anything non-Apple. Why is that? Why are you diametrically opposed to anything but?

 

Do you feel personally attacked if people dislike an Apple product? Your posts seem to show that.

 

I'm asking you to answer for your behavior and your comments, not to skirt them. The statement I quoted isn't answering to my accusations, it's just brushing them aside.

post #56 of 137
Some like to shop at Toys "R" Us and others at Apple.

You get what you pay for; some don't mind being dependent upon advertising and limited by choice. Others prefer to have something that works and is productive.

Wedding rings from the Cracker Jack Box don't have what you would call, staying power.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #57 of 137
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

...it's just brushing them aside.

 

Right, because they're wholly unfounded and based in nothing but delusion. Additionally, they have nothing to do with the argument at hand, so if you want to continue to talk about made up predilections, feel free to PM me so that I can ignore it there instead of deleting posts here.

 

Wanna talk about the failure of Android to capture the tablet market some more?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #58 of 137

When will they learn from Apple. Less products, better quality is better than the opposite.

post #59 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Right, because they're wholly unfounded and based in nothing but delusion. Additionally, they have nothing to do with the argument at hand, so if you want to continue to talk about made up predilections, feel free to PM me so that I can ignore it there instead of deleting posts here.

 

If it's unfounded and based in delusion, why do your posts indicate otherwise? This is how you outwardly project yourself and I'm asking you to to do some introspection and figure out why.

post #60 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

 

Your ignorance is astounding.

Are there some actual numbers -- that Amazon puts out -- you can point me to?*

 

 

 

*It's a trick question.

post #61 of 137
It's a waiting game. Apple waits as Androids of all colours dig holes for themselves. Does either $99 or $199 cover all costs? Of course the makers have some how found ways to design these devices on the cheap as from these two prices it does not look like a lot is left over for R&D.
The reality will be in the products on the shelves. Let's see what you get for these prices. There is a standard to which even the cheap will not succumb.
Apple paved the road to development, the others are paving the road to broke.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #62 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

A $99 Nexus tablet will fly off the shelves.

It certainly worked for the Google phone.

 

 

 

Oh.

 

Wait.

 

NEXUS One?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/nexus-one-dead-google-dis_n_650855.html

post #63 of 137
$99 seriously? I was in Staples a few weeks ago for supplies. Took a look at the tablets being offered. One was a Nexus 7. My main interest was the build quality. The sample in the store was damaged. The mini-USB connector was bent toward the back of the device causing a separation in the plastic back all along the bottom edge. Sorry Google but it looked like a piece of crap. If their $200 device is this poorly constructed, then what to expect from a $99 device.
post #64 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are there some actual numbers -- that Amazon puts out -- you can point me to?*

 

 

 

*It's a trick question.

 

You don't see Kindle Fires everywhere? I do -- everyone and their mother has one, despite my feelings that a Nexus 7 would be a better product overall, if only because it supports both the Kindle and Nook reading apps, and gives access to more content.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

It certainly worked for the Google phone.

 

 

 

Oh.

 

Wait.

 

Great point. Android's market share dominates even the next competitor, Apple. Despite the fact that there is almost no marketing for the Nexus brand of phones, and it's almost exclusively picked up only by the hardcore enthusiasts.

 

A $99 tablet with the Nexus branding means it passes Google's standards and runs stock Android, receiving updates directly from them, and is easily modded. That appeals to anyone. Cheap tablets of poor quality run Android and provide a terrible user experience--a cheap tablet that provides a high user experience with the stock Android OS is a win for consumers and surely will sell well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS1604 View Post

$99 seriously? I was in Staples a few weeks ago for supplies. Took a look at the tablets being offered. One was a Nexus 7. My main interest was the build quality. The sample in the store was damaged. The mini-USB connector was bent toward the back of the device causing a separation in the plastic back all along the bottom edge. Sorry Google but it looked like a piece of crap. If their $200 device is this poorly constructed, then what to expect from a $99 device.
 

Your basis of build quality is centered around one experience at Staples? Everybody is constantly playing with those products, with no disregard for their well being. I've seen laptops, tablets and phones in poor condition everywhere--Best Buy, Sprint, etc.--because they're floor models. Missing styluses, missing port covers (even ripped off), damaged hinges, cracks..

 

Regardless of the product you're purchasing, I don't think an assessment based on floor model alone is a fair way to evaluate build quality. I'm not saying that you can't feel it, touch it, use and experience it and generate an otherwise different answer on it's build quality, but making a statement that a bent USB connector indicates poor quality on a floor model seems like poor reasoning.

post #65 of 137

They might want to make sure their *first* cheap tablet is actually successful before they throw yet another one onto the Android pile. 

post #66 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

It's a waiting game. Apple waits as Androids of all colours dig holes for themselves. Does either $99 or $199 cover all costs? Of course the makers have some how found ways to design these devices on the cheap as from these two prices it does not look like a lot is left over for R&D.
The reality will be in the products on the shelves. Let's see what you get for these prices. There is a standard to which even the cheap will not succumb.
Apple paved the road to development, the others are paving the road to broke.

 

Competing with Apple in the tablet space on *price*, has been a losing proposition so far. Especially when these tablets are running Android. Which clearly isn't an OS that does well on tablets. 

post #67 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They might want to make sure their *first* cheap tablet is actually successful before they throw yet another one onto the Android pile. 

 

What qualifies as "successful" to you? I'd say the Nexus 7 is successful.

post #68 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

A $99 Nexus tablet will fly off the shelves.

No doubt there. Look how the $99 HP tablet flew off the shelves and that thing was a total dead end product.

Samsung is likely to tell Google to **** off.

I am sure they pay Asus a development fee then Google absorbs the loss.

It got to be pretty cheaply made.
post #69 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

I'll wait for the $29 dollar tablet.

$9.99 or bust.

Come on Google.

Do it!
post #70 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS1604 View Post

$99 seriously? I was in Staples a few weeks ago for supplies. Took a look at the tablets being offered. One was a Nexus 7. My main interest was the build quality. The sample in the store was damaged. The mini-USB connector was bent toward the back of the device causing a separation in the plastic back all along the bottom edge. Sorry Google but it looked like a piece of crap. If their $200 device is this poorly constructed, then what to expect from a $99 device.


You're basing your evaluation on a store demo. Blame Staples for not maintaining their demo hardware properly. The Nexus 7 is actually pretty well built.

 

I would be concerned about a $99 tablet. If this rumor is true, which I doubt, there would be a lot of compromises to get it to that price.

post #71 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post


No doubt there. Look how the $99 HP tablet flew off the shelves and that thing was a total dead end product.
Samsung is likely to tell Google to **** off.
I am sure they pay Asus a development fee then Google absorbs the loss.
It got to be pretty cheaply made.

 

Um.. what? HP Tablet? Are you talking about the one that ran WebOS, and certainly didn't cost $99 (at least not until discontinued, and the hacking community realized could be modified to run Android--at which time the stock was bought out?)

 

We didn't think a $199 tablet was feasible either, and it clearly is. Materials get cheaper as time goes on, and while neither you nor I knows what it costs to produce a tablet at this cost, one thing we can be certain of is that Google won't put the Nexus brand on a poor product. That said, it'll either be a good product, or it won't exist at all and it's a rumor.

 

Keep in mind that Android is free and open to any vendor. Google doesn't rely on vendors to distribute it, it simply makes it available to them to use if they'd like. Any vendor could've produced a $200 tablet like the Nexus 7 and sold it, just like any vendor could do the same with a tablet of $99.

 

There are tablets that are cheaper, but they're mostly garbage, from companies with poor track records for support. Knock-offs from the East, etc.

 

It would be refreshing to see a company make high-quality products using stock Android and releasing timely updates to support their products to build a strong customer base. The largest problem with the manufacturers producing Android phones and tablets is dilution. HTC has so many Android phone models out coupled with their skins and add-ons that it takes them six months to a year to produce software updates. If they focused on three products a year, high-mid and low-end and released updates consistently, I think they'd fare much better.

post #72 of 137
Yawn. Another piece of crap Android device that can clutter up my garage.
post #73 of 137

Do you have any sales numbers for the fire or Nexus? Otherwise we can assume you are trolling. I havn't seen any in London or Spain though iPads are common.
 

post #74 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

.....

Great point. Android's market share dominates even the next competitor, Apple. Despite the fact that there is almost no marketing for the Nexus brand of phones, and it's almost exclusively picked up only by the hardcore enthusiasts.

 

.....

If it (The Google NEXUS ONE) was such a rousing success why did Google kill it as outlined in the linked-to article?

 

Because it wasn't a success at all. Huge FAIL.

 

Google Tablet (Nexus #) = Google Phone (Nexus One). Hope that makes the point clearer.

post #75 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsk View Post

Why not just give out for free? Google wanted the user's data, they should also provide everyone free unlimited Internet access~

Some users' data is more valuable than others'. Maybe its time Apple developed the most awesome search service? They should buy and develop someone like duckduckgo.com and peck away at Google. 

post #76 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Google's stupidity is exceeded only by Google's stupidity. They will lose money on every unit but make it up on volume.

If they lose money on each unit, won't volume (selling more) mean bigger lost?

post #77 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

If it (The Google NEXUS ONE) was such a rousing success why did Google kill it as outlined in the linked-to article?

 

Because it wasn't a success at all. Huge FAIL.

 

Google Tablet (Nexus #) = Google Phone (Nexus One). Hope that makes the point clearer.

 

The Nexus program isn't "dead." The Nexus One was retired as it's hardware is old. It was replaced by the Nexus S, and more recently, the Galaxy Nexus.

 

"Nexus" devices are certified by Google and run pure Android, receiving software updates directly from Google.

 

I have absolutely no idea what your point is with this statement: Google Tablet (Nexus #) = Google Phone (Nexus One).

post #78 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Sorry you don't think Android is worth a damn.

 

You don't think anything non-Apple is worth a damn though, so it's not really surprising.

 

Most of that stuff isn't. Especially when it comes to tablets. 

 

By whoring out their OS to everyone, and thereby relinquishing control of their OS at a critical stage, Google shows that they, also, don't think Android's worth a damn, either.

 

This is why a "stale" OS with a "just a grid of icons" not only remains the dominant mobile OS worldwide (not limited to smartphones), but also why it dominates in consumer satisfaction, often by very wide margins. 

 

You're not getting too far around here, are you.

post #79 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, that's one way solve tablet thefts. Devalue the hardware.

We can give school kids tablets. It won't solve tablet thefts, but stealing from kids is easier than stealing mine so it can reduce the chances of my tablet getting stolen.

post #80 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Keep in mind that Android is free and open to any vendor. Google doesn't rely on vendors to distribute it, it simply makes it available to them to use if they'd like. Any vendor could've produced a $200 tablet like the Nexus 7 and sold it, just like any vendor could do the same with a tablet of $99.

 

There are tablets that are cheaper, but they're mostly garbage, from companies with poor track records for support. Knock-offs from the East, etc.

 

It would be refreshing to see a company make high-quality products using stock Android and releasing timely updates to support their products to build a strong customer base.

 

You DO know there are android forums right?

 

And Android isn't open.  In order to ship an AndroidTM product you need Google's blessing.  If you fork android and ship a product you can pretty much figure on getting booted from the OHA and won't be able to ship any more AndroidTM products.

 

But I digress, here let me provide you a link: http://bit.ly/Q4v8Zq

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012