or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012 - Page 3

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Do you have any sales numbers for the fire or Nexus? Otherwise we can assume you are trolling. I havn't seen any in London or Spain though iPads are common.
 


I have one friend that bought a Fire for his daughter and she hates it.  I was at a party this weekend and there happened to be a few UPS drivers there and we started discussing the iPhone 5 launch.  They are always amazed at the amount of apple deliveries surrounding release days.  I asked about the Fire, they said In the beginning they made a few deliveries a day, but not much since. 

post #82 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

If they lose money on each unit, won't volume (selling more) mean bigger lost?

 

I believe he was being sarcastic.

post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

 

Most of that stuff isn't. Especially when it comes to tablets. 

 

By whoring out their OS to everyone, and thereby relinquishing control of their OS at a critical stage, Google shows that they, also, don't think Android's worth a damn, either.

 

This is why a "stale" OS with a "just a grid of icons" not only remains the dominant mobile OS worldwide (not limited to smartphones), but also why it dominates in consumer satisfaction, often by very wide margins. 

 

You're not getting too far around here, are you.

 

You don't like being challenged, do you? What makes you think Android is a "stale" OS with just a "grid of icons"? It's an open-source project, you can use it for whatever you desire. I don't agree with reskinning and heavily modding it for purposes of Sense, TouchWiz or even the Kindle Fire, but I'm not those companies, and I can choose what I want--so I choose a Nexus device.

 

You, like Skil, seem to be offended by anything non-Apple. Why is that? What makes you want to defend Apple to the death (regardless of point or topic), and vehemently hate anything non-Apple?

 

See, I like Android because it's open. The world I want to live in has a platform for smartphones and tablets like it does for PCs, where there is a standardized firmware spec that allows you to install the OS of your choosing. I don't believe hardware should be sent to the landfill because the manufacturer doesn't provide you an update. If you have a Nexus S and don't like it, you should be able to install Windows Phone 7 or 8, or similarly, iOS. If you're unsatisfied with iOS on your iPhone 3G, you should be able to install Android Gingerbread, ICS, or Jelly Bean and try them. 

 

I don't claim Google is perfect and have demonstrated that. 

 

Why are you so unflinchingly pro-Apple and anti-everything else?

post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

 

You're really making this up. $150-$200 to break even is a myth. Like I said, the parts cost at most $50 for a dual-core 8GB tablet. All those "R&D, ....." costs, really is nothing, because, when you're going for a $99 retail price tablet, you'll definitely sell in 10s of millions, so the average cost on those you mentioned would be spread and will be pretty low per device. Plus, e.g. marketing cost will be very low because, just the fact you're selling such device will create a lot of buzz and that's self-marketing.

 

You can say it'll be a low quality device and you won't buy it even if it's free, that's fine, some people here will think that way and they're free to make their choices. But I'm talking about profitability, not quality, you want quality device you go buy higher-priced devices. $99 device, consumer will have lower expectations and they'll be ok with e.g. cheap shell or lower battery life (I still expect 7-8 hours because it's ez to do for 7").

1) R&D... Have you done R&D?  while it amortizes out, it's there, and it also needs to feed 'the next round' of R&D.  pretty low is probably <$5 a device for the first year, but people have to be funded and fed, and that's this years budget.

 

$99 Retail usually means 30% to channel costs.  Best buy/Staples/Target don't work for free.  Google doesn't have a store, right?  Oh, and you think Amazon is going to sell this for a lower cut?  hardly.

 

 

2) no marketing?  how will you know where to buy the thing?  Where is this google store... is it next to walmart?  What carriers will sell it... oh, none.  If anything, Marketing will be higher as you don't have a hook to sell it and you will definitely need to continually present it as a Kindle/Nook/iPad option.     this isn't kickstarter;-)  We're in it to win it, and therefore it has to have mindshare before you get marketshare.   

 

3) I forgot Licensing... android isn't free.  you need to budget $10 for Microsoft royalties, at least.

 

4) I didn't say it was low quality.  you did (you used the term 'cheap').  I never said people won't buy it (others on the thread did).  and I'm talking about profitability.  If a consumer has lower expectations, then they will use it less (it's not strategic), and google's model is to pay for it via 'use'  If I break it dropping it on the floor, is that 'acceptable'?  (cheap shell), cost of returns?     7" is 'easy' to maintain a 7 hour battery for surfing all the time over wifi? (remember, use is what pays for it, not reading books from storage).

 

5) interesting you didn't touch the fixed unit costs (assembly/labor,shipping, packaging, taxes)  That's at least 10 bucks ($5 to assemble, $1 ship, $1 packaging, and if you plan on making a profit, lets say 20% across all nations on that... so if you make $10 profit, that's $2 tax).

 

 

6) My read on people with a $99 'expectation'  They expect to be as good as a Kindle.   If it fails that, it's a negative brand experience and it will never be bought again.... at any price, except by techies (0.00001% of the market).

 

 

 

And on Profitability...With your numbers:  You go to Best buy, who sells at $99, who take 30% for their time and effort ($29), which means Google will make $1 (50 for parts, 10 for license, 9 for Marketing, taxes, shipping, assembly, QA, loss, insurance, supply chain management)  unit.  at 50Million units a year (the best selling android tablet ever!) , that 50Million profit, on 3.5Billion on cost (assuming your $70).  

 

You get the same eyeballs (or less, these are the low surfers), so net net, you're not winning anything here.  So... you're Sergey... you just committed 3.5Billion of your company's money, or 25% of last years profits for  1.6% ROI.  Great, except Google is currently making 25% Net (after tax) Profits.  That's hardly good return on investment... using YOUR numbers.    I think you need to revisit your profitability model.


Edited by TheOtherGeoff - 9/27/12 at 11:19am
post #85 of 137

I realize it is a store demo unit. Staples, if it had any interest in actually selling the Nexus 7 should replace the damaged unit so the customer cannot see how easy it is to damage by jerking the USB connection. I don't believe that this is a store issue it is a design issue. The USB connector is constructed such that jerking the cable will bend the USB mount. The flexible plastic back is not strong enough to hold the connector in place.

post #86 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
Google won't put the Nexus brand on a poor product

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
the Nexus branding means it passes Google's standards and runs stock Android, receiving updates directly from them, and is easily modded. That appeals to anyone. Cheap tablets of poor quality run Android and provide a terrible user experience--a cheap tablet that provides a high user experience with the stock Android OS is a win for consumers and surely will sell well.

 

First, I'd say I generally like Apple's offerings more than Google's, but I'm not tied to any one brand/ecosystem.

 

The Nexus brand means nothing to me anymore due to bad user experience. I waited and bought a Galaxy Nexus because it was a "Nexus", with all of the promises from Google. Google announces Jelly Bean saying it's available immediately, and I don't get it for months. Why? Because my Canadian build is 'special' with different firmware so it gets updated by Samsung. When was that part of being a Nexus product? Was I supposed to get down to that level of detail when I bought the phone? I'd be even more disappointed if I was a non-Nexus user and wouldn't know when (of if!) I'd get a Jelly Bean update. Month's later, the excitement of a new OS was almost dead until I finally got it. I say it is a great update, I like it a lot, but the experience was just horrible. Don't expect me to root it so I can get the updates myself, that's not what was promised to me as a "Nexus" product.

post #87 of 137

The good ole' Android way.

 

If you cant beat 'em.. then give them away for free.  Or for 99cents.  Or buy1get1free.

 

 

 

Any questions about how they reach 1 million activations a day?

post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

If they lose money on each unit, won't volume (selling more) mean bigger lost?

WHOOOSH!

post #89 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

You DO know there are android forums right?

 

And Android isn't open.  In order to ship an AndroidTM product you need Google's blessing.  If you fork android and ship a product you can pretty much figure on getting booted from the OHA and won't be able to ship any more AndroidTM products.

 

But I digress, here let me provide you a link: http://bit.ly/Q4v8Zq

 

You are right. Android is "open", to use their applications (e.g. "Google Play"), you need their certification. Anyone can take Android and do what they please with it--shoddy tablets included.

 

As for Android forums, yeah, there are. Sadly, at Android forums, it's the reverse of what we find here: Die-hard fanatics calling iOS and Windows Phone garbage, worthless, etc. I don't subscribe to that mindset, there are positives and negatives to every platform, and I wish people could more openly discuss and debate them. People are polarized, it's like politics, religion, racism--as a race we seem to have a hard time keeping an open mind.

 

I stick around here to challenge people stuck in their ways and refusing to accept arguments that are unsubstantial. "Android is garbage" is an example of such.

post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

You DO know there are android forums right?

 

And Android isn't open.  In order to ship an AndroidTM product you need Google's blessing.  If you fork android and ship a product you can pretty much figure on getting booted from the OHA and won't be able to ship any more AndroidTM products.

 

But I digress, here let me provide you a link: http://bit.ly/Q4v8Zq

Not only it isn't open but there are royalties to pay on the nonOpen IP.  Microsoft makes what $10-15 per Android license?  ASUS or Google has to pay that now.

post #91 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Domination. Google wants to control their devices and what's shown on them. This will be a perfect way to get as many out there and show ads everywhere possible.

 

Google is not going to "dominate" the iPad the way Android does in the phone space (if by "domination" you mean marketshare.)  Either this tablet is going to be a piece of crap or Google will have to plaster it with ads (or both).  For a hundred bucks more everyone who can will get an iPad.  The consumers with money to spend (the ones advertisers want) aren't going to touch this garbage.  And Android's supposed advantage over the iPhone - choice - will be erased because Google will drive all their hardware partners out of business.  So it will be just like Apple (no choice), but with a business model that makes everybody a whole lot less money.  

post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS1604 View Post

I realize it is a store demo unit. Staples, if it had any interest in actually selling the Nexus 7 should replace the damaged unit so the customer cannot see how easy it is to damage by jerking the USB connection. I don't believe that this is a store issue it is a design issue. The USB connector is constructed such that jerking the cable will bend the USB mount. The flexible plastic back is not strong enough to hold the connector in place.

 

You're right, they should, but most stores don't. Show floor units get abused regularly, it's probably not possible to keep up with the damage customers inflict. 

 

I'd encourage you to do additional research on the build quality, and perhaps even stop back at the Staples and investigate the port yourself. Everything I've read seems to indicate a very high build quality, but I don't own one (nor have I held one), so that's all I have to go on.

post #93 of 137

I'd pay $99 to avoid Gooples privacy invading tactics... and to not reward Goople for aiding and abetting in the theft of Apple intellectual property and profiting from said tactics.

Too bad Goople doesn't have the balls to put its own brand on Android hardware. I'd really like to see Apple issue them a right smack down for copying instead of being innovative.

post #94 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You, like Skil, seem to be offended by anything non-Apple. Why is that? What makes you want to defend Apple to the death (regardless of point or topic), and vehemently hate anything non-Apple?

Maybe they're just trying to make up for all the paid shills who come here and put down anything simply because it's from Apple?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

If they lose money on each unit, won't volume (selling more) mean bigger lost?

That's a reference to an old joke - "we lose money on each one, but will make it up in volume". The earliest reference I remember is an old 'I Love Lucy' show where they were making salad dressing and losing money on every batch and Lucy said they'd make it up in volume. I'm sure the gag is much older than that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

You're really making this up. $150-$200 to break even is a myth. Like I said, the parts cost at most $50 for a dual-core 8GB tablet.

Feel free to show us your numbers - or your credentials to make such a claim. Or, alternatively, start with the bill of materials for the latest iPad and show how much you can save on each component by going to a crappier product.

Then, add in all the other costs that don't show in the BOM. Labor. Plant space. Utilities. Shipping costs for incoming materials. Packaging. Quality costs.

Then allow enough margin to cover R&D and overhead and still produce a profit.

Then show us exactly what type of product you can make and sell profitably for $99. I can guarantee it's not going to be a very good product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

All those "R&D, ....." costs, really is nothing, because, when you're going for a $99 retail price tablet, you'll definitely sell in 10s of millions, so the average cost on those you mentioned would be spread and will be pretty low per device. Plus, e.g. marketing cost will be very low because, just the fact you're selling such device will create a lot of buzz and that's self-marketing.

And that's exactly why your opinion about costs is worthless. Those are all real costs that must be considered, along with all the other costs I've provided above. Oh, and keep in mind that the only way to reduce marketing costs that much is to sell through distributors - who are going to generally want at least 20% of the price of the product (often much more). So, at most, you really only have $80 to work with if you go with your plan.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #95 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

 

 

First, I'd say I generally like Apple's offerings more than Google's, but I'm not tied to any one brand/ecosystem.

 

The Nexus brand means nothing to me anymore due to bad user experience. I waited and bought a Galaxy Nexus because it was a "Nexus", with all of the promises from Google. Google announces Jelly Bean saying it's available immediately, and I don't get it for months. Why? Because my Canadian build is 'special' with different firmware so it gets updated by Samsung. When was that part of being a Nexus product? Was I supposed to get down to that level of detail when I bought the phone? I'd be even more disappointed if I was a non-Nexus user and wouldn't know when (of if!) I'd get a Jelly Bean update. Month's later, the excitement of a new OS was almost dead until I finally got it. I say it is a great update, I like it a lot, but the experience was just horrible. Don't expect me to root it so I can get the updates myself, that's not what was promised to me as a "Nexus" product.

 

I agree. I think the update process sucks, and could definitely get better. Waiting for OS updates is painful.

 

I think part of the reason the process hurts so much is because even with Nexus devices, carriers force Google to meet their standards testing--whereas I believe Apple's clout allows them to control the process, carriers be damned. If Google can get past that, we may see updates in a more timely fashion.

 

Ultimately, I want to see a paradigm shift where you can install the OS of your choosing on your phone (and why shouldn't you? Dual core/quad core 1 Ghz+ devices with 1 Gb+ of RAM), so that when an OS is released you can update just as you would with OS X, Windows, etc. Ideally, you could install the OS of your choice: Android; Windows Phone, iOS, etc. That might seem idealist, but that's where I want (and think) it's heading. Hardware outpaces software so greatly that continual even new OSes run well on older hardware, as long as drivers are available.

post #96 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Maybe they're just trying to make up for all the paid shills who come here and put down anything simply because it's from Apple?

 

l guess, but it's not asking too much for them to be critical and fair, is it? I'll contest comments, but it's not as if I believe Google is infalliable and Apple/iOS is garbage, which is the projection some members make.

post #97 of 137

I don't get it. I own a Nexus 7, right now I regret the decision to buy it as I always prefer using my iPad, but it's a decent device for some things. It cost $249. I don't see how the hell Google can release a $99 version without massively sacrificing quality. The current one feels cheap as it is. Anyway, Apple doesn't need to and shouldn't compete in this space. Google has a different business model, which is spamming everyone with their OS to sell ads, them and Amazon can battle-it out for the ultra-cheap subsidized tablets. 

post #98 of 137

Feels pretty could actually.

 

In fact, Android is worth a damn, in the full sense of the word.

post #99 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

You don't like being challenged, do you? What makes you think Android is a "stale" OS with just a "grid of icons"?

 

I was referring to iOS. 

post #100 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

 

 

Ultimately, I want to see a paradigm shift where you can install the OS of your choosing on your phone (and why shouldn't you? 

 

 

This is the absolute worst thing from a User Experience perspective. 

 

There's a reason iOS mated to iPhones leads in consumer satisfaction: Apple provides a tightly-controlled, end-to-end solution. 

post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You, like Skil, seem to be offended by anything non-Apple. Why is that? What makes you want to defend Apple to the death (regardless of point or topic), and vehemently hate anything non-Apple?

Because being so pro Apple and anti everything non Apple, you become Apple and you are a winner :-)

post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

I agree. I think the update process sucks, and could definitely get better. Waiting for OS updates is painful.

 

I think part of the reason the process hurts so much is because even with Nexus devices, carriers force Google to meet their standards testing--whereas I believe Apple's clout allows them to control the process, carriers be damned. If Google can get past that, we may see updates in a more timely fashion.

 

Ultimately, I want to see a paradigm shift where you can install the OS of your choosing on your phone (and why shouldn't you? Dual core/quad core 1 Ghz+ devices with 1 Gb+ of RAM), so that when an OS is released you can update just as you would with OS X, Windows, etc. Ideally, you could install the OS of your choice: Android; Windows Phone, iOS, etc. That might seem idealist, but that's where I want (and think) it's heading. Hardware outpaces software so greatly that continual even new OSes run well on older hardware, as long as drivers are available.

 

Personally, I don't think it'll head there. Apple has shown how custom software and hardware can work together to be extremely power efficient. On the Android side of things, the manufacturers skin Android to differentiate and hopefully win your money for the next phone you buy as well so you always buy their flavour of Android. 

post #103 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

You don't like being challenged, do you? What makes you think Android is a "stale" OS with just a "grid of icons"? It's an open-source project, you can use it for whatever you desire. I don't agree with reskinning and heavily modding it for purposes of Sense, TouchWiz or even the Kindle Fire, but I'm not those companies, and I can choose what I want--so I choose a Nexus device.

 

You, like Skil, seem to be offended by anything non-Apple. Why is that? What makes you want to defend Apple to the death (regardless of point or topic), and vehemently hate anything non-Apple?

 

See, I like Android because it's open. The world I want to live in has a platform for smartphones and tablets like it does for PCs, where there is a standardized firmware spec that allows you to install the OS of your choosing. I don't believe hardware should be sent to the landfill because the manufacturer doesn't provide you an update. If you have a Nexus S and don't like it, you should be able to install Windows Phone 7 or 8, or similarly, iOS. If you're unsatisfied with iOS on your iPhone 3G, you should be able to install Android Gingerbread, ICS, or Jelly Bean and try them. 

 

I don't claim Google is perfect and have demonstrated that. 

 

Why are you so unflinchingly pro-Apple and anti-everything else?

 

This is a messageboard on an Apple rumors site. My question to you, is why you choose to obsessively post here, since you have clearly stated you prefer the Android OS and google products in general. Why post on messaboard dedicated to products you're not a fan of, and you don't even like? Why not spend your time on messageboards dedicated to Android? I don't get it. You fundamentally disagree with Apple's approach, so why are you even here? Do you think Apple will suddenly change, become open-source, or allow the installation of any OS on their phones? Why do you pretend this is a possibility, so you can pretend to be dissapointed when it doesn't happen? I;ll never understand the psychology of people like you. 

post #104 of 137

I'm not a fan of Google at all, but they do search better than anyone and their mapping is hard to beat as too. I'm all for Apple de-google-izing as much as possible, just do it for the right reasons and have something that's just as good ready to go. Google like to pretend that they're this "open-source" hero and everyone's buddy, don't be mean etc. Their motives are anything but pure. They want to look over your shoulder at every possible moment because that makes them more money with their REAL customers. Facebook is just as bad. I'm okay with a little targeted advertising, I just think that Google and Facebook have gone too far. 


Edited by Bilbo63 - 9/27/12 at 12:05pm
post #105 of 137

There are rumors of a very light carbon fiber ipad mini on the french websites. The tablet would also have a new anti glare screen.  Cant find anything about it on english sites.

 

About the 99$ google tablet, I think Samsung wont be very happy about it.

post #106 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Why don't they tell us how well they are selling?

All Amazon ever says is "it's the best selling product on Amazon" and all we hear about the Nexus 7 is "it's sold out everywhere"

So what does that mean?

Amazon just launched their 2nd round of tablets... without ever proving that the 1st round was a success.

I'm sure it was a success... to them... but why aren't they required to disclose sales figures? Or returns?

Amazon is a hardware vendor now... they aren't just a services company anymore. They've got actual physical products out in the world that cost real money per device. Shouldn't Amazon's investors demand to know this information?
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


...Shouldn't Amazon's investors demand to know this information?

 

Their stock price is up $45 in the last 3 months so I wouldn't worry about their sales numbers.  It is up close to $90 in the last 12 months so again, I doubt the stock holders are worried.

post #108 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

 

Their stock price is up $45 in the last 3 months so I wouldn't worry about their sales numbers.  It is up close to $90 in the last 12 months so again, I doubt the stock holders are worried.

 

With a P/E of more than 312 they should be....

post #109 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Google is effectively killing off any chance of Android hardware manufactures making any money in tablets. Namely, Samsung
If I were them, I would be fu***** pissed.
Google is looking out for itself...One giant funnel into search to drive their core business. It does not give a shit about its partners
The other shoe will drop in a few years when Apple replaces Google with Bing as the default search. Boom. In one move, Google loses half its mobile revenues
 

I agree except that "Apple replaces Google with Bing..."  It's highly unlikely.  It's more likely that Apple will develop their own search engine.  Just wait and watch, iSearch, will come out sooner than you think, and it'll storm the search engine landscape and Google stock will drop 50% :-)

post #110 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrider View Post

 

With a P/E of more than 312 they should be....

 

Glad you joined...today....

post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

 

Glad you joined...today....

 

Thanks.

 

Long time reader, not really time to post. Really no time for pointless debate. But fact are fact. PE that high is never good.

post #112 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Their stock price is up $45 in the last 3 months so I wouldn't worry about their sales numbers.  It is up close to $90 in the last 12 months so again, I doubt the stock holders are worried.

But is that based on the phenomenal (yet unknown) sales of the Kindle Fire? Or from something else? We'll never know.

You could say that Amazon's stock price has increased since the Kindle Fire was introduced. That's certainly an example of correlation.

For me... I'm just curious. As a logical thinker... I like to know the meaning of "best-selling"

If they are gonna make that kind of statement... why don't they back it up with facts?
post #113 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrider View Post

With a P/E of more than 312 they should be....

I guess I need to buy some more put options. I made a ton of money the last time I bet that AMZN was way overpriced.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #114 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You are right. Android is "open", to use their applications (e.g. "Google Play"), you need their certification. Anyone can take Android and do what they please with it--shoddy tablets included.

 

Ask Acer if this is true.  

 

Hint:  No.

 

 

Quote:

As for Android forums, yeah, there are. Sadly, at Android forums, it's the reverse of what we find here: Die-hard fanatics calling iOS and Windows Phone garbage, worthless, etc. I don't subscribe to that mindset, there are positives and negatives to every platform, and I wish people could more openly discuss and debate them. People are polarized, it's like politics, religion, racism--as a race we seem to have a hard time keeping an open mind.

 

I stick around here to challenge people stuck in their ways and refusing to accept arguments that are unsubstantial. "Android is garbage" is an example of such.

 

You are not providing a public service.  What you are doing is trolling.  And don't bother trying to pretend otherwise because there are instances in this thread where you aren't challenging anyone but insulting them.

 

Like here:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Your ignorance is astounding.

post #115 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsk View Post

$99 to get a device to collect and track all your usage behaviour and help data mining? NO Thanks!

Like I give a crap if they see I was looking for a new motherboard or coffee or whatever. I could care less it is in no way important info except to advertisers and I use ad muncher anyway. No big deal.

 

For example I have a kindle with "special offers" ads while in standby. They do not bother me or intrude in the least bit. It just doesn't matter to me at all.

post #116 of 137
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post
Like I give a crap if they see I was looking for a new motherboard or coffee or whatever. I could care less it is in no way important info except to advertisers and I use ad muncher anyway. No big deal.

 

You don't care that every single thing you do is being tracked and sold to people?

 

And good luck using "ad muncher" when they're baked into the OS. 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You don't care that every single thing you do is being tracked and sold to people?

 

And good luck using "ad muncher" when they're baked into the OS. 

Your reading comprehension is good I see.......

post #118 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You are right. Android is "open", to use their applications (e.g. "Google Play"), you need their certification. Anyone can take Android and do what they please with it--shoddy tablets included.

As for Android forums, yeah, there are. Sadly, at Android forums, it's the reverse of what we find here: Die-hard fanatics calling iOS and Windows Phone garbage, worthless, etc. I don't subscribe to that mindset, there are positives and negatives to every platform, and I wish people could more openly discuss and debate them. People are polarized, it's like politics, religion, racism--as a race we seem to have a hard time keeping an open mind.

I stick around here to challenge people stuck in their ways and refusing to accept arguments that are unsubstantial. "Android is garbage" is an example of such.

Regarding the bolded, that's not true. If it were the reverse of what we find here, Android forums would be flooded with people being paid by Apple to spread FUD and by mindless trolls with IQs somewhere around 40 posting the most inane garbage they can come up with. And that doesn't happen. You don't see Apple fans on the Android forums (other than perhaps a very rare exception) posting "Google sucks" and spreading lies.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #119 of 137
Will WTC or EU looks into this type of predatory pricing? I think that Google is still working with EU to avoid paying the penalty of 10% of worldwide profit. Now they are doing this to drive out competition. Google is probably pissed at Apple kicking them out of the iOS platform. Now they want to extract their pound of flesh on Apple's iPad mini.
post #120 of 137
Same way Microsoft sells hardware (XBOX) at a loss so it can make up the difference with software (games). There's nothing wrong with this.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero910 View Post

This isn't a game of limbo.. I thought Google said they were already breaking even at $200. How can they trim off another $100? If true, this has to be at a loss.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012