or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6 - Page 7

post #241 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Classless response. The classy thing todo would be to pull it and put google maps back on. I'm not buying iPhone 5 till they do

If you are or are not buying a phone based on built in maps (see the incongruity yet?), then perhaps your demands are out of whack. Anyone who finds maps that crucial should buy a dedicated GPS.

Otherwise, recognize maps for what they are; an add-on to the basic features of a smartphone (voice, texting, e-mail, web.) Absolutely nothing to postpone a purchase over.

Or perhaps you were just trolling.

post #242 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

For areas where the maps completely suck crowdsourcing wont help unless it's of the OSM kind where some folks enter data for an entire local area.  

Those folks that want to be part of the solution will do exactly that. I did. I was at the local mall the other day and noticed several pins were off and while I figure internal mapping is likely not top priority at the moment over getting folks to the right buildings, I still went and dropped/moved pins for several locations. AND sent a general feedback that they should create some kind of building view for such locations, rather than one pin placement for everything in the building.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #243 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

When stopped at a light , when lost. Yes???

I would just look out the window.  And...how can you be lost...YOU have your Google Maps app up and running, no?

post #244 of 370

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:13pm
post #245 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is doubtful that you will get the Google app back -- that is not the way to resolve this problem.  To provide top quality service, Apple needs to  have access to the maps database and to limit access (to others) for the individual requests and searches.  Google has demonstrated that it is not a reliable enough provider or partner to satisfy Apple's mapping needs.

Well its obvious to everybody the Apple Maps app was not ready for public use. If Apple did not want to use Google Maps app they should have found a better third party solution while they worked on their own inadequate program. 

Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' bout the things
They woulda-coulda-shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little did.

-Shel Silverstein-

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #246 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post

It's about time. Apple maps just plain sucks. I've been an apple fan for a long time and enjoy using their desktop os and laptops, but their mobile offerings are just not comparable to android powered devices. Worst part is that they choose to be shitty because they're pissed at Google.

You make it sound like Apple shouldn't be so petty.
The reality is quite different. Google decided to compete against Apple. Why should Apple continue to depend on Google for key features of iOS?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #247 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Tim needs to learn to be a bit more aggressive in his responses.

Rough edges don't play well with Apple's attuned geometry. Straight forward humility and purity of intentions do. Leave aggressiveness to the naughty 'coming-from-behind' ones.

Apple ought to behave in a way consistent with the nobility perspiring from the absolutely magnificent iPhone 5. And so they do.
post #248 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Obviously Tim apologized because he could see the public perception, even if Maps works fine for you, was damaging the iPhone and Apple brands. 

Potentially damaging. The plus is that anyone that gets too hyperbolic with their rants will look like a dick for picking on Apple who is working on the issue etc. So Media are more likely to tone it down and even change tactics. Instead of 'Apple Maps suck' 24/7 they might move to 'how you can help improve' or even admitting that no map service has been perfect from day one.

This isn't so different than after the iPhone 4. Once Steve said 'all cell phones have this issue' many of the same blogs that were yelling about Apple's major design flaw where posting articles about those other phones etc.

post #249 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I would just look out the window.  And...how can you be lost...YOU have your Google Maps app up and running, no?

No I would use my Flyover View to drive. That would suffice. Lol
post #250 of 370
Quote:

No I would use my Flyover View to drive. That would suffice. Lol

Oh, helicoptor, sorry.

post #251 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepley View Post

Tim Cook, I don't believe you give a fig about providing me with with the best customer experience possible. For example, both Bing and Google can provide crisp and detailed satellite maps for the areas I need. The satellite maps from Apple are shockingly bad - absolutely terrible. Is Apple too greedy to pay for decent satellite images, or too incompetent to implement them?

Shepley, I don't believe you gave a fig's worth of thought to your post. Apple's Maps are brand new. Google and Bing have been doing maps for years (a decade, in Google's case.) And you expect Apple's Maps to be exactly on par with those long-time competitors right out of the box?

I'm not trying to be a fanboi here. But the task Apple was forced by Google's oppressive licensing to undertake in a very short time was extremely daunting. And dude, unless you bought an iPhone 5, nobody forced you to upgrade your existing phone to iOS6. I've left mine on iOS5 until  the bugs are worked out. Anyone else whining like Shepley needs to look in the mirror and ask whether or not they themselves bear some responsibility for diving headfirst into using a "dot zero" product instead of waiting to see how things shook out.

So drop the self-righteous vitriol.

post #252 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Sure it did - standalone GPS units - paper maps - dead reckoning - stoping to ask the gas station attendant for directions. 

Nope. All those things still exist. You can use them if you want.

YOU made the choice to replace using them with using Google Maps etc

post #253 of 370
I just don't get the whole Maps hoopla.

It works fantastic for me! I use it every single day, usually several times in a day! Every time I'm in the car, I just ask Siri to take me to where I need to go, and off we go.

I understand there are some glitches in Maps. But...

Google Maps got me lost more times than I care to remember (why don't people remember THAT!?!). That's why I dumped it years ago for the Navigon app. At $80 (at the time), it was the most expensive app I'd ever bought. But, still cheaper than a dedicated GPS. It worked great! Probably spent another $50, or so, on options since the beginning.

But, it was a chore to start, like every other GPS out there. Sooo much time to get it started and so many steps just to get it going. But, I used it faithfully for years.

Until now.

Siri has replaced Navigon as my turn-by-turn navigator. Siri is fast, simple, elegant and sooo smooth. It just works.

Are there things I miss from the Navigon app? Sure. I LOVED seeing my speed while I was driving. And, I could tell it to warn me if I happened to be speeding. The 3D topography for the terrain was cool, too.

But, Maps by FAR makes up for anything I might be missing. And, I KNOW Apple will continue to develop and expand it's features and functions with time.

Personally, I think there's a WHOLE LOT of bandwagon jumping going on right now. I've heard people complain about Maps, and they either don't even HAVE an iPhone, or they haven't even updated to iOS 6. This is just maddening.

Give them a break. Look at it with new eyes. Relax. Breathe. It's just a maps app, that happens to do a LOT more than the app it's replacing.
post #254 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by na1ya View Post

"The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get"

I don't understand. If we keep using Maps, the image on the right will gradually become the image on the left? How is that possible?

In simple terms, Maps data is based off crowd sourced info. So yes, they will get better.

So this crowd sourced info is automatic? Is Apple keeping track of what parts of the world I am searching and where I am located all the time? Or is your description of crowd sourced the fact that there is a report a problem button. I would draw a distinction between simply using the Maps app and actively contributing to updating the data. If they are tracking me then that is going to be a security issue. I think they really need to define what they mean by "It gets better the more people use it".

I believe it is both tracking and contributing.   Tracking can collect/detect search patterns (as described in other posts).  Tracking may, or may not be improved if it knows your location.  

If you want control:

Settings--->Privacy---> Location Services--->Maps

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #255 of 370
wow I never thought I'd see the day. David Pogue, only second to Gruber for his love of all things Apple has written a scathing review of Maps. Good on him.

"In short, Maps is an appalling first release. It may be the most embarrassing, least usable piece of software Apple has ever unleashed. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/technology/personaltech/apples-new-maps-app-is-upgraded-but-full-of-snags-review.html
post #256 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

He certainly didn't know the state in which te app would be released to the public, and would have stepped in to stop it if he was there, because the app sucks.

Yeah just like he didnt allow Siri to be released to the public

Oh wait, yeah that was likely him. Just like he allowed Final Cut X to be reload missing several 'major' features

post #257 of 370

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:13pm
post #258 of 370

I'm not gonna read the drivel of comments in this thread, but just wanted to say I thought it was a very classy, honest, and sincere statement by Cook. I'm surprised he mentioned checking out competing apps, but not that surprised- seems like a Cook thing to do. For those that have issues with maps, I'm sure he'd rather they be aware of and use another maps service instead of considering getting another phone. The bashers are gonna foam at the mouth in giddiness and bash, but this is a great sign of how seriously they are taking the matter. I still think making the maps move now was their best possible scenario, and will be more than worth it in the long run. Anecdotally, the app has worked brilliantly for me so I'm not one of these 'frustrated customers'. I think he should have added 'some' in his statement, as not all of us are experiencing issues. 

post #259 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just as you still have alternatives for Apple's Maps if it fails. So there's absolutely no difference. When Google's Maps was the standard, you had exactly the same third party options that you have now. In fact, Apple has even more options - since Google is now a third party alternative. So you have MORE options today than you did a month ago.

What is the alternative core Maps app that integrates with Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Siri on iOS 6? My "alternatives" are crippled, something that didn't happen with Google Maps' alternatives, hence the flaw in the analogy.

By the way, just to stop this already derailed train of thought, let me remind you that all analogies are flawed in nature due to being inferences from the particular to the particular; they can only be used when all the parties in a debate agree with them, and since I do not agree that Google Maps replaced anything else the same way Apple Maps is replacing Google Maps on iOS, you can not use or defend that analogy.

Yes he can!  And you can choose to ignore it.

Just because you have decided that you are right, it doesn't mean that everyone (anyone) else is wrong!

That's the difference between discussion and pedantry!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #260 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdg911 View Post

Apple is becoming just like MS since they are rapidly gaining marketshare. It's all about PUSH THE UNFINISHED BUGGY PRODUCT OUT and we'll deal with it later. Shame shame Apple.

Not at all. Apple pushes out products when they need the public to help fix it faster then they can on their own.

Microsoft just pushes out products period.

post #261 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

The second post down is the most obvious and intuitive.
Apple had a year left to go on their license with Google Maps.

Unproven rumor. Especially when the article most are sourcing actually said they had a year left when they decided not to continue with Google maps but never gave any information about when that was. It could have been last fall meaning the contract ended when iOS 6 released to the public.

post #262 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Yesterday, I drove from Orange County to Santa Monica with iOS 6 Maps and my iPhone locked (listening to Siri for turn-by-turn directions). My iPhone 4S was fully-charged before I left and by the time I reached my destination I was down to 35% battery life. I probably spent two hours driving factoring in morning traffic.

Nope sounds about right if you are on battery with the phone constantly pinging the gps for your location and 3G data for the directions. Especially when you could be in an area with sketch 3G quality so the phone may have to rescan for the signal on a very frequent basis.

post #263 of 370
Quote:

For Tim Cook the CEO apologizing then the negative feedback must be far greater than the 4-5 negative Fandroids posting here on AI. I'd venture it must be catastrophic.

Nope. Doesn't mean that at all. Just means some of them are loud. Like say David Pogue.

post #264 of 370
Quote:

I believe it is both tracking and contributing.   Tracking can collect/detect search patterns (as described in other posts).  Tracking may, or may not be improved if it knows your location.  

If you want control:

I'm not sure how the Maps app can be very useful with Location Services disabled. It is one thing to know and use the user's current location to assist in providing that specific end user with functionality and quite another thing to analyze the user's behavior and aggregate it or save it into a database for their own purposes.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #265 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

That's why their stock is at an all time high while Apple's can't break $700.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/09/18/apple-stock-soars-to-over-700-for-1st-time-on-iphone-5-sales/

post #266 of 370
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

So this crowd sourced info is automatic? Is Apple keeping track of what parts of the world I am searching and where I am located all the time? Or is your description of crowd sourced the fact that there is a report a problem button. I would draw a distinction between simply using the Maps app and actively contributing to updating the data. If they are tracking me then that is going to be a security issue. I think they really need to define what they mean by "It gets better the more people use it".

As you know, it's not tracking you. Furthermore, even if they were tracking you, they would have no way of fixing their maps based on that data. If your home's real address is 1 Main Street, but Apple has it listed as 11 Main St and you go home, Apple simply thinks you went to 11 Main St and wouldn't have any reason to change the data. The only way that they change data is if someone reports it and they can verify it in some way.

So "it gets better the more people who use it" might be better phrased as "it gets better as people report errors", but if the percentage of people who reports errors stays constant, either statement amounts to the same thing in the end.

Well in either case the aerial imagery will not improve unless Apple leases better data. I would suggest buying Geo Eye. Current market cap GEOY 593.49M. Then TomTom with a current market cap of 1.05B. Also Yelp which recently rejected a $500 M offer from Google. If Apple bought those companies they would truly have their own data and a platform from which they could continue to grow. The current collection of third party vendors is not sustainable in my opinion. I think we will see a repeat of this same scenario a couple years from now when Apple can no longer depend on its providers.

I agree that Apple should (likely, will) buy the resources needed for maps and bring them in house.

As to being held ransom by TomTom or some other supplier... you can almost guarantee that Apple has options to broaden its contracts to include new features and extend the length of the contract.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #267 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Speak for yourself, apologist! This is the BIGGEST mistake Apple has made since the release of the iPhone. They put their hated of Google AHEAD of its userbase. An apology was VERY appropriate in this situation.

You can keep saying that but it doesn't make it true.

A video of Tim Cook saying they hate Google and all choices are made to screw Google, now that would be proof.

post #268 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Your wrong, actually stock holders have a lot to say in Apples plans.
What's trust got to do with this issue? They made a big mistake. Now they need to act quickly and offer a satisfying correction. ASAP.
You must be one of those people who doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Me on the other hand I have done very nicely investing in Apple in spite of the lousy economy.
Apple stock has gone down this week partly because of the negative press associated with this Apples limited mapping choices.
I know of 3 people who planned to upgrade to the new phone but are holding off because of this app issue.
Tim's apology is not adequate he needs to get the Google app available for OS 6 now. 

That they haven't (a say in apples plans) is evident, or all shareholders must disagree with you.
It's you opinion that Apple made a big mistake, and you think they are not handling it well enough.
So I would say that's a lack of trust in Apple. But if trust has nothing to do with it - as you say - it must be that your only in it for the money.

(As a side note: don't you think you could be wrong on both accounts, not having all the information Apple has and not realizing Apples complex situation, and possibly underestimating a company with an incredible track record?)

J.
Edited by jnjnjn - 9/28/12 at 11:52am
post #269 of 370
Quote:

Quote:

These are pretty big numbers

• a "half a billion" search requests in 1+ weeks...
  • a "half a billion" search requests that returned some, valid, invalid or no map data...  
  • << "half a billion" search requests that have been follow-ons to unsatisfactory searches...  

Now, we know Apple is logging all these searches!  The search data,  return data and search patterns (follow-on searches) can be analyzed by computer to quickly focus on problem areas that need attention, e.g.: 

• "Where were you when you made the search?"
  • "Why was no Address found?"
  • "Why did you make an additional search with slightly modified search terms?"
  • "Why did you make a right turn followed by a U-tern when I told you to make a left turn?"
  • "What problems were reported?"

By having access to all of the data, Apple now has the ability and opportunity to refine the maps experience.

Apple never had that the ability and opportunity with Google and iOS5 maps.

Shunting, those 2 billion searches (per month) back to Google would defeat the opportunity for Apple to build a superior maps experience.

So they are not tracking me? Or they are tracking me? Which is it?

Knowing Apple, I assume that if you turn off the setting in Settings--->Privacy--->Location Services--->Maps, they are not tracking your device or its movement.

However, I see no reason why they wouldn't log the requests and responses on their servers.  They could generate an arbitrary, perishable, synthetic device ID so that they could tie all the requests from one device together -- but not be able to tie it back to your device. 

I suspect that Google did something like that on their servers -- but didn't have access to the device ID.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #270 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Where I live, and where i regularly travel too, it's hopelessly unusable.

I second that!

post #271 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

wow I never thought I'd see the day. David Pogue, only second to Gruber for his love of all things Apple has written a scathing review of Maps. Good on him.

"In short, Maps is an appalling first release. It may be the most embarrassing, least usable piece of software Apple has ever unleashed. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/technology/personaltech/apples-new-maps-app-is-upgraded-but-full-of-snags-review.html

No your wrong, that must be Final Cut Pro X.
Absolutely the most horrible software in the universe ever. At least according to a few people complaining as hell, a year or so ago, when it was introduced.
A few months later few complaints could be heard, blown away by the facts and the quality of the software.
Think about it.

J.
post #272 of 370
Quote:

Did you miss the word "partner"?

Google has demonstrated that it is not a viable "partner" for Apple's future mapping needs!

Maybe they were once "good partnerships", but things change!   Like maps, "partnership agreements" need to be updated to reflect current conditions.  

Apple could not get what they wanted from Google, so they changed "partners".

Viable or not, iOS 5 Maps was light-years ahead of what Apple came up with.  Sure no Turn-By-Turn...Boo-fricken'-Hoo.  Sure not Flyover...Streetview was better.  Everything (except for the whole vector graphics bit) was better in iOS 5.1.1 maps.  iOS 6 Maps is no better than some crappy Store-bought GPS device from TomTom or Garmin.  Google Maps was not just maps, but so much more.

Edited by antkm1 - 9/28/12 at 12:08pm
post #273 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshonhall View Post

Give them a break. Look at it with new eyes. Relax. Breathe. It's just a maps app, that happens to do a LOT more than the app it's replacing.

It appears that most of the issues are with international people.  That said, I'm completely with you.

Ground breaking improvements are generally faced with a first generation that seems like a step back, if for no other reason than it is a change.  

Was everyone thrilled when Apple came out with OSX and broke backwards compatibility?

I recall a few complaints when Apple moved to Intel.

Any major changes in technology are faced with this.  Change rarely inspires cheers.  

Edited by rednival - 9/28/12 at 12:01pm
post #274 of 370

I could care less of the negative feedback Apple's Maps are getting.  Tim Cook has acknowledged the problem and addressed it.  This is all I need to hear, and most definitely will not deter me from getting my iPhone5.  The Maps will only get better from here on.  The iPhone5 has beaten the competition already in significant categories, so when a flaw does finally show up, the 'haters' feel they finally have something to bring Apple down.  This will not change the millions and millions of iPhone5's that will sell around the world!  Like I said, Tim Cook acknowledged the problem and it's only going to be better.  Let's move on....

post #275 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Riiiiight...Street View while driving your car.

This comment makes no sense.  you wouldn't use Street View or Flyover while driving anyway.  So what's your point?

His point was that streetview is how PEOPLE visualize the world.  Flyover is how a Gamer or an evil dictator visualizes the world. :P

post #276 of 370
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

So you are calling him out for saying something that is true?  If you think there are not "Apple fanboys" on here then you are being lumped into that group because you are closing your eyes/mind to the obvious truth.  Android, WP, BB and iOS all have their supporters and then they have their rabid fans.  When you ignore the extremists and don't call them out on the stuff they do, you run the risk of them being the public support of your favourite product and no one wants that.  Idiots about in all parts of life and it's up to others to call them out on it.

Using the phrase "Apple fanboys" here is like walking into a gay bar and calling the other patrons "fags". It's hate speech that doesn't add anything to the discussion, and is the sign of a demented mind venting over its own frustrations in life.

That you pretend these "Apple fanboys" are "extremists", acting like they are some sort of Taliban, and pretending there's some sort of moral equivalency there, tells me you've got some issues yourself.

Here's the bottom line. Apple makes great products. Some of us like that. Some people apparently are bothered by it. Some of us expect that when Apple isn't 100% perfect, they know it and intend to fix the problems as soon as they can, even when the extent of them are overblown. Some people like to label the appreciation of general excellence in this case a "cult", while they hypocritically "worship at other alters," usually because they have some sort of irrational dislike of Apple or have got the idea in their heads that anything with the label "open" attached to it has to be the best.

Some of us are tired of listening to the tirades of trolls, shills, astroturfers and haters. So, stop pretending that anyone who defends Apple is the Taliban, and stop using language that makes that equivalence. Some of us just happen to think they have the best products, threaten our privacy less than the alternatives, and would like to see them succeed as long as they maintain their commitment to general excellence.

+++ QFT

Nicely done!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #277 of 370
Quote:

Knowing Apple, I assume that if you turn off the setting in Settings--->Privacy--->Location Services--->Maps, they are not tracking your device or its movement.

No, turning location off in settings will not disable Apple tracking thru maps. There is currently no option to completely disable it AFAIK. By necessity Apple will log your travels and current/past locations via Apple Maps. How else to get statistics for traffic flow, road geometry errors and the like?

Edited by Gatorguy - 9/28/12 at 12:32pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #278 of 370
Quote:

Using the phrase "Apple fanboys" here is like walking into a gay bar and calling the other patrons "fags". It's hate speech that doesn't add anything to the discussion, and is the sign of a demented mind venting over its own frustrations in life.

That you pretend these "Apple fanboys" are "extremists", acting like they are some sort of Taliban, and pretending there's some sort of moral equivalency there, tells me you've got some issues yourself.

Here's the bottom line. Apple makes great products. Some of us like that. Some people apparently are bothered by it. Some of us expect that when Apple isn't 100% perfect, they know it and intend to fix the problems as soon as they can, even when the extent of them are overblown. Some people like to label the appreciation of general excellence in this case a "cult", while they hypocritically "worship at other alters," usually because they have some sort of irrational dislike of Apple or have got the idea in their heads that anything with the label "open" attached to it has to be the best.

Some of us are tired of listening to the tirades of trolls, shills, astroturfers and haters. So, stop pretending that anyone who defends Apple is the Taliban, and stop using language that makes that equivalence. Some of us just happen to think they have the best products, threaten our privacy less than the alternatives, and would like to see them succeed as long as they maintain their commitment to general excellence.

From this very thread:

Quote:

"Somebody should virtually beat the living shit out of these psychopaths, in my humble opinion."

"From now on, I will not engage Fandroids and obvious Apple haters in any rational discussion, I will aggressively attack, while destroying and eliminating them. They're like cockroaches, and nobody wants a cockroach infestation. What do you do with cockroaches? You kill them and get rid of them."

As a new member I find this quite appalling that this sort of conduct is not subject of moderation.

I wouldn't even call someone making such statements an "Apple fanboy", just out of touch with reality.

Oh well, enough attention given - time to find the ignore functionality in this board.

post #279 of 370
Quote:

Quote:

If you want control:

I'm not sure how the Maps app can be very useful with Location Services disabled. It is one thing to know and use the user's current location to assist in providing that specific end user with functionality and quite another thing to analyze the user's behavior and aggregate it or save it into a database for their own purposes.

I am in California, and planning a European * trip... My location is of little value if I am trying to determine the best, most scenic route (with side trips) from Torremolinos ** to Ronda...

However, while taking the route I planned, location services is invaluable...

Tracking, in both instances can be useful to me and the maps database.

* Works for Panama too!

** I forgot who said it but "Visiting Torremolinos is like touring a sewer in a glass-bottomed boat!"

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #280 of 370

The maps in iOS 6 is so bad, they could not even get Los Angeles right.  Hello...major metropolitan city and they got that wrong.  Compare the LA Zoo in both Google and Apple Maps.  The Apple Maps doesn't even have a parking lot completed, and the streets are incomplete.  I am going to the LA Zoo this weekend to catch the shuttle to the Hollywood Bowl.  If I use Apple Maps, it won't get me there because Apple Maps think some streets are not yet completed.  Google Maps have all the streets intact.  Apple should have been able to obtain current map data.  That is why I downgraded to iOS 5.1.1.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6