or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6 - Page 9

post #321 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

How do you provide map data to a device if you don't know where it is?

Exactly.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #322 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How do you provide map data to a device if you don't know where it is?

True, but that doesn't mean that they track it and record Googleguy alleged.

In fact, there's no evidence that Apple records your location data at all - unlike Google Latitude.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #323 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No, turning location off in settings will not disable Apple tracking thru maps. There is currently no option to completely disable it AFAIK. By necessity Apple will log your travels and current/past locations via Apple Maps. How else to get statistics for traffic flow, road geometry errors and the like?

 

How do you provide map data to a device if you don't know where it is?

 

Easy!  I am in New York, and I want to figure out how (and how long) to get from SFO (San Francisco Airport) to Apple Headquarters... Why does the map app need to know or care where I currently am?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #324 of 370

Available Targeting Includes:

  • Demographics
  • Application preferences
  • Music passions
  • Movie, TV and audiobook genre interests
  • Location
  • Device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch)
  • Network (WiFi, 3G)

http://advertising.apple.com/brands/

 

If they are not recording it, they're at least tracking it.  

post #325 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How do you provide map data to a device if you don't know where it is?

True, but that doesn't mean that they track it and record Googleguy alleged.

In fact, there's no evidence that Apple records your location data at all - unlike Google Latitude.

 

I'd be willing to bet that if you have Location Services On for maps, that Apple records/logs your location for any map requests.  That's one way that Apple can gather data to improve the maps app -- especially turn-by-turn issues.  The real question is does Apple use that to track you for ads or any other unsavory reasons?  Knowing Apple for 34 years, and based on what they say about privacy, I doubt that they would track you for any unsavory purposes.

 

Even if Apple records detailed tracking information about your device -- it does not mean that it provides this detail to anyone else.  They might supply aggregate data to iAd advertisers, such as: 300 iDevices drove 280 from SFO to Cupertino on Friday Sep 28, 2012 between 3:00-4:00 PM.

 

Unfortunately, if you are in California, one of those unmanned Google cars will probably detect your cellular activity and follow your car (while taking a picture of your license number)!  /s


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/28/12 at 4:24pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #326 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post


From where I'm standing with iOS on two devices (whoops that makes me a fanboy I guess!) I don't have a problem with Apple maps, so in my mind I don't see why Tim should apologize. Quite frankly unless a poll were released to show how many people were actually affected by the issue, I choose not to listen to people who bitch and moan so loudly they drawnout everyone else. For all you know they could be a minority.

does it matter if they're a minority or not?  If 10% of iOS users are upset about the change, that is SIGNIFICANT.  If apple lost a quarter of those users the next time they upgrade, you're talking about a large chunk of money.  49% of users is also a minority.  If it was really bad for that 49% and they all left, would that be a big deal for apple?  I agree with you when the number of people complaining is a fraction of 1%, that they can easily be overlooked, but there's a far difference from being in the minority to being a fraction of 1% of users.

 

Phil

post #327 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post


From where I'm standing with iOS on two devices (whoops that makes me a fanboy I guess!) I don't have a problem with Apple maps, so in my mind I don't see why Tim should apologize. Quite frankly unless a poll were released to show how many people were actually affected by the issue, I choose not to listen to people who bitch and moan so loudly they drawnout everyone else. For all you know they could be a minority.

Agreed.  I was glad to get the turn by turn instructions. I've used iOS maps like 5 times and haven't had any problems.  I'm sure it is missing some data, but so does Google Maps.  All mapping solutions work better over time because of user data.  I remember my business partner using Google maps two years ago to get us to an important lunch meeting and it took us the wrong direction.  He was livid.  Apple's iOS maps will be as good as Google Maps within a year.  The reason is that Apple can collect A LOT of data from the millions of iPhones using it.

post #328 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think Steve Jobs had any rough edges in his handling of the so called "antennagate" non-issue. That should be the way these things are handled.

Never tarnish your brand with a moxy-draining fistfight, ... when you can put some extra shine on it with the humble bending of your might.

That being said, shrewd timing and a forward looking move by Apple. At a price.
post #329 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

does it matter if they're a minority or not?  If 10% of iOS users are upset about the change, that is SIGNIFICANT.  If apple lost a quarter of those users the next time they upgrade, you're talking about a large chunk of money.  49% of users is also a minority.  If it was really bad for that 49% and they all left, would that be a big deal for apple?  I agree with you when the number of people complaining is a fraction of 1%, that they can easily be overlooked, but there's a far difference from being in the minority to being a fraction of 1% of users.

 

Phil

There is a big difference between "upset" and "lost customer".  We have NO data on the number of lost sales from upset customers.  For all we know, the number is zero and/or the number of people that choose the iPhone because it has turn by turn instructions outnumbers the losses from the disgruntled.

More importantly, I think Apple is looking into the future and considering all the great apps that will be built off of their open Map system.  Apple is going to let developers incorporate iOS maps into their third party apps.  These disgruntled users obviously don't appreciate how important that is to the iOS platform and how much better their user experience will eventually be.  Obvious Tim Cook can't respond by telling customers they are naive and stupid.  However, it should be obvious to business savvy people that this switch was mission critical and Apple had to do it.  Companies that can't make tough decisions get left behind.  I'm glad to see Apple has the temperament to make good choices.  Despite the grumblings, I'm inclined to buy more stock rather than sell the stock I have.

post #330 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


That's my view. I STILL haven't seen any evidence that it's any worse than the other solutions out there. A few anecdotal reports (including those fabricated by Google) are not valid evidence.

 

I wouldn't say there's no evidence for users outside America. The comparison shots for India are terrible. 

 

Granted, America is Apple's most important market, but it's not its only market.

post #331 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

Easy!  I am in New York, and I want to figure out how (and how long) to get from SFO (San Francisco Airport) to Apple Headquarters... Why does the map app need to know or care where I currently am?

How often does that happen? Obviously I don't have the data, but I would guess it is less than 5% and possibly much less than 1%.  99% of the time I want routing information and I click on the "use current location".  Of course Apple could provide a menu that lets you shut that off, but there are only so many menu items that should be in a phone.  The .00001% of people that would actually activate the feature should just go find a different phone platform. We don't want Apple mucking up our user interface to accommodate the unreasonable request of the insignificant few.  As Steve Jobs once said, "it is just as important to know what not to include as what to include". (or something to that effect)

post #332 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by na1ya View Post

"The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get"


I don't understand. If we keep using Maps, the image on the right will gradually become the image on the left? How is that possible?

You misunderstood. Tim Cook is quoted as saying, "The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get..."

Better not worse. Better.

 

 

I am convinced now that Apple was not ready to release Maps but for marketing purposes they needed it to be released along with iOS 6. I thought it was hilarious that they didn't even make sure that the Apple retail stores were correctly mapped. I was down at the Apple Store in Fashion Island Newport Beach today to pick up my new Retina MBP and just for fun I did a search for the Apple Store and sure enough it came up to their old store location from about 5 years ago. They moved to the other side of the mall into a bigger space but the Maps data was old. I'm not going to bother reporting it but if one of you Map users want to make it better feel free to report a problem. I have better things to do right now.

 

Oh, and by the way I read on Mac Rumors http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1443985 that there is a problem with the LG made Retina display panels so I was really concerned that I got one of the Samsung made panels instead. We tested all of the display models and five out of six were LG. This was discouraging but the sales guy said they could open up to two new boxes to see if he could find a Samsung display. Fortunately we got lucky on the first try so now I'm off to get my new Retina MBP set up.

 

Edit: Also I forgot to mention there is no line at that store to buy iPhones, you just walk in and buy it.


Edited by mstone - 9/28/12 at 6:01pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #333 of 370
More problems than iMap for IOS 6. I am simply trying to purchase an iPhone 5 (actually a couple of them to replace other phones on other carriers) and the process is simply not working in my case. I have tried online thru the Apple Store and the process advises me that I need to go to an Apple Store to make my purchase. I visit the local Apple Store and they advise me that they are are not capable of placing an order for the phones!.. I recall the 90's when I spent a lot of mney for apple products that simply did not deliver and failed. I took over 15 years off before reinvesting in apple Products. So , Mr. Cook if you are reading this ( I am sure you too busy with the corporation), please take the strategic steps to avoid missteps. Been there done that and as a shareholder I do not want you to fail. Oh and by the way, please fix your retail outlets. I assumed that Apple Stores are there to assist customers not turn them away! The local store by the way is the Norfolk , Virginia out;et. I know supplies are limited but I just want to acquire some of your new products realizing I have to wait a few weeks but it should be this hard! By the way, try not to release beta-products into the mainstream with a promise to make them better with user input in the future! Not good for business , not good for shareholders.
Regards
post #334 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

So Jeff what are you saying. Tim Cook wants the Apple iphone users to be the beta testers for this not ready for prime time mapping program?

If that is the case they should have included it as a bonus program as part of OS6 and still given users full access to Google maps.

As an Apple stock holder his apology means nothing. Its offering me a drink with an empty glass.

If he truly wants people to move forward he needs to bring back the Google App period end of story.

 

Oh, please **** off with your self-righteous, entitled 'As a stockholder..' whining. If you actually have a few thousand shares as you say, then Apple has made you an ABSOLUTE KILLING in the last few years, and you've gotten a better return than with any other company on the planet. Apple doesn't make its product and business decisions based on the whims of stockholders (like you) who really understand little to nothing about what makes the company so great, and are just looking to how much money they can make in the next quarter, with no insight as to whats best for the future growth and long term success of the company. SJ made many, MANY decisions that enraged stockholders and seemed ludicrous at the time, but layed the foundation to Apple's success and positioning. You think stockholders wanted to hear about how 'crippled' the iPad was because it was the only tablet that didnt run flash? I remember the internet outrage and all the 'As a stockholder..' bullshit that the decision was insane. How did that turn out? SJ didn't give a shit, he believed it was the right thing to do for the future of the platform, regardless of the short term pain. He looked at the big picture. Same situation now with maps. This is a move that NEEDS to be done, to decrease Apple's dependancy on Google, and to improve the maps app with critical features, integrate it more fully with their other servies/products, and do things with it that would be impossible when licensing tiles from another company (who so happens to be their biggest competitor) along with all the restrictions. "Bringing back Google App' as the default stock app would be the MOST disastrous thing Apple could possibly do at this point, and I'm so glad Apple is above listening to the short-sighted demands of people like you. It would instantly stunt any improvement/growth of their own app, would instantly give Google back hundreds of millions of customers (which will further improve THEIR maps, and not Apple's) and basically shoot their maps app in the face and kill it on the spot, after the hundreds of millions (if not bilions) of R&D they've invested in it during the past few years. Great plan!

 

My advice- just sell your stock now. The rest of us with some perspective realize that this is a storm that Apple will weather, and come out stronger for it. With a new iPad mini on the horizon, new iPods, iMacs, Retina 13" MBPs, and the massive sales results of this quarter, their stock price still has no ceiling. If you don't believe in Apple's path just get out now, instead of demanding that they reverse course and starts walking backwards, crippling their platform and strengthening that of their competitor. 

post #335 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

You seem reasonable, but your Windows Phone gave you away.
J.
I thought the post count and sign-up date gave him away.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #336 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosee View Post


if Google maps are that important to you, why don't you get an Android phone? You will ALWAYS have the latest Google Maps on it.
I'm confused, his location is In China, but he prefers Google maps. I thought it was reported that Apple's maps in China were superior to Google's?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #337 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredJoe View Post

More problems than iMap for IOS 6. I am simply trying to purchase an iPhone 5 (actually a couple of them to replace other phones on other carriers) and the process is simply not working in my case. I have tried online thru the Apple Store and the process advises me that I need to go to an Apple Store to make my purchase. I visit the local Apple Store and they advise me that they are are not capable of placing an order for the phones!.. I recall the 90's when I spent a lot of mney for apple products that simply did not deliver and failed. I took over 15 years off before reinvesting in apple Products. So , Mr. Cook if you are reading this ( I am sure you too busy with the corporation), please take the strategic steps to avoid missteps. Been there done that and as a shareholder I do not want you to fail. Oh and by the way, please fix your retail outlets. I assumed that Apple Stores are there to assist customers not turn them away! The local store by the way is the Norfolk , Virginia out;et. I know supplies are limited but I just want to acquire some of your new products realizing I have to wait a few weeks but it should be this hard! By the way, try not to release beta-products into the mainstream with a promise to make them better with user input in the future! Not good for business , not good for shareholders.
Regards

 

No, I assure you that Tim Cook has not and will not read your post, as he has better things to do with his time than read some random rambling which doesn't seem to even have a point. Believe it or not, Apple is not 'refusing' to sell you a phone because it's evil, or because it hates you. If you haven't noticed, it's sold more than any phone in history in the 1st weekend and demand is off the charts. Have some perspective, patience, and realize that this stuff isn't manufactured and shipped using fairy dust. 

 

Regards. 

post #338 of 370

Well, unless Google Maps has changed radically in the last year or so (I wouldn't know--I'm Degoogleizing my life as much as possible), I say good riddance. The satellite view was kind of a cool novelty (at first)--wow, that's the roof of my house!--but I got over it in a hurry. Street View doesn't tell you how to get anywhere--you're buried in the scene. The only thing you're going to consistently want to use it for is the maps--so how are the maps?

 

Short answer--mostly unusable. If you zoom out enough to get an overview of where you're going, the labels cover up the way the streets run and how they connect together--but the streets show through just enough to render a lot of the labels illegible. If you zoom in far enough to see the streets and read the labels, you only have a view of a few blocks, and have lost the overview of your route.

 

I think Apple made the right decision to keep the overview spartan and add detail and labels as you zoom in. Of course, then you get people posting views from the same zoom level together and implying that this shows that there's less detail in Apple's Maps--but what do you expect from Fandroids?

 

(And as for accuracy--the last time I used Google Maps was to find the nearest Emissions Testing location. I circled the block several times because they had it on the wrong side of the street.)

post #339 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Rough edges don't play well with Apple's attuned geometry. Straight forward humility and purity of intentions do. Leave aggressiveness to the naughty 'coming-from-behind' ones.
Apple ought to behave in a way consistent with the nobility perspiring from the absolutely magnificent iPhone 5. And so they do.
You, sir or madam, turn a phrase quite nicely. I'm almost embarrassed that we are using the same language.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #340 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Potentially damaging. The plus is that anyone that gets too hyperbolic with their rants will look like a dick for picking on Apple who is working on the issue etc. So Media are more likely to tone it down and even change tactics. Instead of 'Apple Maps suck' 24/7 they might move to 'how you can help improve' or even admitting that no map service has been perfect from day one.
This isn't so different than after the iPhone 4. Once Steve said 'all cell phones have this issue' many of the same blogs that were yelling about Apple's major design flaw where posting articles about those other phones etc.
What's this got to do with Applebaum?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #341 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

His point was that streetview is how PEOPLE visualize the world.  Flyover is how a Gamer or an evil dictator visualizes the world. :P
I think that's a pretty broad statement. While I'm sure that many people do visualize the world as sort of a "walking tour", a series of connections that follow one after the other, I personally see the world as more of a map, where all of the connections are visible simultaneously. I can assure you that I am neither gamer nor dictator - evil or otherwise. However I am left-handed in many tasks, so I will cop to being "sinister"!

Just curious. How do the rest of you see the world? After thinking about it, before I just assumed it was the same as me.
Edited by diplication - 9/28/12 at 7:31pm

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #342 of 370

You know we're spoiled, when our biggest problem is a map app.

 

Others can barely get a mobile platform off the ground. Consumers have been hoodwinked with Android and Windows junk-tablets. The biggest scam of all was the PlayBook. 

 

Meanwhile competitors can barely touch Apple, either in unit share or consumer satisfaction. There simply does an exist a more cohesive, integrated, and fleshed out suite of hardware and software than what Apple offers. And its been this way for years now. 

 

And we're crying bloody murder over a map app. 

 

While I disagree with the way Cook handled himself, let's not lose perspective here. 

 

When the biggest weapon the competition can wield against Apple is a map app, you know the industry outside of Cupertino has far more serious problems.

post #343 of 370

Geez Tim.  You are the CEO of the worlds most valuable company!  All that money and power and you're groveling, and folding like a cheap lawn chair?  Have a little backbone and some dignity and stand up for your company.  Even if heads roll behind closed doors, do not give off the appearance of weakness.  Apple did the right thing and ditched Google Maps.  People will get over the little issues as long as you constantly improve upon your software.  A few people whine and blow things out of proportion and this is what you do?  Embarassing.  

post #344 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Easy!  I am in New York, and I want to figure out how (and how long) to get from SFO (San Francisco Airport) to Apple Headquarters... Why does the map app need to know or care where I currently am?

So you'd be quite happy to do that with a blank screen, sans maps?

Simple, ask Siri.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #345 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

"Antennagate" was NOT a non-issue. The iPhone 4 was almost unusable as a phone (though was a nice pocket computer otherwise. The "bumpers" solution made the matter slightly better, but for me, the only reason to upgrade to 4S was that the 4 was almost unusable as a voice device. Steve's way of dealing with it was to apply the reality distortion field, and wish the problem away. Amazingly, it worked.

Antennagate was a non-issue. The iPhone 4 had a lower product return rate than any competing smartphone.
post #346 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Actually, you're embarrassing. It's you and apologists like you that makes everyone hate Apple and call it an arrogant cult that's likened to Scientology.


REALITY CHECK: Apple no longer makes the best smartphone and they seem to be headed in the wrong direction with their hubris, as well as their Maps. I was a satisfied user of Apple products and a happy investor in Apple stock, but no longer on both counts. The steady stream of Apple lawsuits and heavy-handedness towards competitors is so reminiscent of the Microsoft of old that it leads me to the conclusion that Apple is now the evil empire they eschewed in their classic 1984 TV commercial introducing the Mac. They are no longer the admirable underdog they once were. Instead, they are a one-trick pony telling the world that the iPhone is best and to take what they offer like a lemming.


I've dumped the iPhone for a Windows Phone after I saw the iPhone 5 and won't look back. Apple still has enough fanboys and snob appeal to continue to the attract the masses. And what a market shift that is: Apple being the company for the masses! I prefer a rational choice based on price and functionality, not industrial design, and the iPhone no longer seems to be a rational choice.


Samsung's latest commercial really nails the ridiculousness of it all. Kudos to them for saying what everyone outside the bubble is thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM


I challenge any of you to make a rational argument as to why I'm wrong, but that would be like asking religious fanatics to not believe in their deity, even though science has already proven it doesn't exist except in the mind of man.


Nobody cares!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #347 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Your wrong, actually stock holders have a lot to say in Apples plans.
What's trust got to do with this issue? They made a big mistake. Now they need to act quickly and offer a satisfying correction. ASAP.
You must be one of those people who doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Me on the other hand I have done very nicely investing in Apple in spite of the lousy economy.
Apple stock has gone down this week partly because of the negative press associated with this Apples limited mapping choices.
I know of 3 people who planned to upgrade to the new phone but are holding off because of this app issue.
Tim's apology is not adequate he needs to get the Google app available for OS 6 now. 

Hasn't that Apple VIP - the one with creepy smile - sold majority of his stocks a few months back? Makes you wonder.

Really sad some people are hitting on Tim for being man enough to admit problems with new maps. He has my respect for that. He'd have to be cheap, smug bastard to pretend everything is rosey. And Apple is more than strong to go through this setback without any long term damage. Don't be panicky, people. Respect honesty. No one want a douche to lead their favourite company.
post #348 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

This comment makes no sense.  you wouldn't use Street View or Flyover while driving anyway.  So what's your point?
His point was that streetview is how PEOPLE visualize the world.  Flyover is how a Gamer or an evil dictator visualizes the world. :P

...so I'm Hitler and I play Sim City. So what's your point?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #349 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Actually, you're embarrassing. It's you and apologists like you that makes everyone hate Apple and call it an arrogant cult that's likened to Scientology.

REALITY CHECK: Apple no longer makes the best smartphone and they seem to be headed in the wrong direction with their hubris, as well as their Maps. I was a satisfied user of Apple products and a happy investor in Apple stock, but no longer on both counts. The steady stream of Apple lawsuits and heavy-handedness towards competitors is so reminiscent of the Microsoft of old that it leads me to the conclusion that Apple is now the evil empire they eschewed in their classic 1984 TV commercial introducing the Mac. They are no longer the admirable underdog they once were. Instead, they are a one-trick pony telling the world that the iPhone is best and to take what they offer like a lemming.

I've dumped the iPhone for a Windows Phone after I saw the iPhone 5 and won't look back. Apple still has enough fanboys and snob appeal to continue to the attract the masses. And what a market shift that is: Apple being the company for the masses! I prefer a rational choice based on price and functionality, not industrial design, and the iPhone no longer seems to be a rational choice.

Samsung's latest commercial really nails the ridiculousness of it all. Kudos to them for saying what everyone outside the bubble is thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM

I challenge any of you to make a rational argument as to why I'm wrong, but that would be like asking religious fanatics to not believe in their deity, even though science has already proven it doesn't exist except in the mind of man.
 

 

 

What a disgusting, vitriolic, despicable post. Oh wait, you were Apple's biggest fan right, and loved their products? And in the next breath you claim that Apple's consumers consist of "fanboys and snob appeal"? What's their 'one trick pony' as you so eloquently state? The iPhone? Or the iPad? Or iOS? or the Appstore? Their Mac line? iPod line? That's alot of ponies. What were you a fan of, exactly? You claim you switched to a "windows phone" yet don't even bother to mention which specific phone? Then you giddily congratulate a Samsung ad, that even Android fans admit is ridiculous? Next, you "challenge" people to make a rational argument as to why you're "wrong" even though you haven't spouted a shred of a fact, but simply foaming-at-the-mouth vitriol? Then you go off on all the religious-cult-deity horse-shit that trolls desperately fall back on when nothing lese they say makes sense?

 

Here's a theory: You were never an Apple fan, you never liked the company or their products. You're a troll, a liar, and your post proves that, which is full of sensationalism, vicious vitriol against the company and its products, AND all its customers (religious fanatics) and irrational hatred- but not a shred of fact. You don't need to be "challenged", because you've proven yourself to be a shitty human being who's content in pre-emptively attacking everyone on this board like the hate-filled troll that you are. Nobody cares about your bullshit lies, just use whatever product you want, I've never directed hatred towards users of another platform like you so vehemently do against anyone who apparently uses and has a good experience with Apple products. 

post #350 of 370
The fact that you are even attempting to compare the two means you are not a rational individual and I'm not wasting time arguing with people that either don't understand or blatantly ignore facts.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

 

And the point is, Google Maps STILL has some issues and is not perfect and the "iLost" mockvertisement was a fraud.

post #351 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

The fact that you are even attempting to compare the two means you are not a rational individual and I'm not wasting time arguing with people that either don't understand or blatantly ignore facts.

Many people here will agree with you on the stupidity of religious attachment to a brand. But it doesn't only apply to apple. Of course you'll find tons of people behaving the same way as some posters here but defending android with their soul. And you seem to fall in that argument with your talk about the S3. To use your religious metaphor, you are trying to impose your way of thinking on something that is subjective. If the iPhone was a dumbphone and nobody bought it, it would be obvious that the S3 is superior. But the iPhone has comparable features to the S3, and millions of people buy it. Some of its specs are better than the S3, the screen especially, journalists acknowledge it. It's insulting to think that millions of people are stupid to buy an iPhone just like it's insulting to say that all journalists are dumb for saying that the new maps app needs a lot of work and is pretty crappy sometimes, and sometimes shines.
post #352 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

A load of crap that is terribly hard to swallow.

 

So you heading to Finland for the funeral?

 

The funeral of Nokia who put their faith in Windows Mobile, they are soon to be as dead as "live" tiles only they don't know it.

 

You are so wrong about "live" tiles being the future, they are the past, the stone, cold dead Zune past, the reason it's dead is that no-one at all wants Windows "live" tiles apart from a very small minority, a very small minority of tech site zealots who preach their message to people pretending to listen but who are inwardly groaning and wishing you'd just go away.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #353 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

So Jeff what are you saying. Tim Cook wants the Apple iphone users to be the beta testers for this not ready for prime time mapping program?
If that is the case they should have included it as a bonus program as part of OS6 and still given users full access to Google maps.
As an Apple stock holder his apology means nothing. Its offering me a drink with an empty glass.
If he truly wants people to move forward he needs to bring back the Google App period end of story.

Google Maps has the same thing. Copy and pasted from the bottom line of their direction results:
Quote:
"Directions weren't right? Please find your route on maps.google.com and click "Report a problem" at the bottom left."

By your metric, doesn't that mean that Google Maps is a beta product?
Edited by JeffDM - 9/29/12 at 8:08am
post #354 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Google Maps has the same thing. Copy and pasted from the bottom line of their direction results:
"Directions weren't right? Please find your route on maps.google.com and click "Report a problem" at the bottom left."
By your metric, doesn't that mean that Google Maps is a beta product?

well. . .

it IS a beta product, even after all these years. I wonder what Google's criteria are to move it to a finished product? Perhaps it will always be considered a work in progress considering the big changes to both the maps and features on a regular basis.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #355 of 370
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
it IS a beta product, even after all these years.

 

Don't see "beta" on the page anywhere. Unlike Gmail, of course. If Google Maps can be considered beta without advertising itself as such, so can Apple Maps. There go all the complaints out the window.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #356 of 370
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #357 of 370

 

Thanks for the clarification. While the Android application seems to be, the platform itself does not report itself as such.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #358 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Tim Cook acted like a ceo should, Apple made a mistake, they admitted it, they are trying to fix the problem, it will get better, it will take time. Lets all move on, google maps will be a app in the app store soon. Competition=Cunsumer wins. 

 

Cook didn't say that (he didn't say "google maps will be a app in the app store soon").

 

I think it's an unfortunate letter from Tim Cook.

 

First, if you're really so confident about your decisions in such a way you believe you can improve your product by doing the opposite to your users preferences, it's absurd to write this apology letter (I can't imagine Jobs writing it).

 

Second, if you really wished to apologize, you've to put a remedy, and the remedy your users are asking isn't third-party alternatives, but to bring back the google maps app you smashed on a rash and bad decision.

post #359 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

The good thing is that this is a software issue.  The iPhone5 hardware seems to have drawn no major issues, [...]

 

Well, to be honest, there's also "scuffgate", and it seems there's an important number of people having to admit scuffs and scratches on their brand new phone, while Schiller says "iPhone 5 scratches and chips are normal"...

post #360 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF View Post

I doubt Google will lose that much over time. They will build a kick-ass Maps apps that many users will utilize regardless of the state of Apple maps.

 

Which begs the question, why haven't they done so by now?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6