or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google Maps adds new 45-degree satellite imagery to take on Apple's Flyover

Google Maps adds new 45-degree satellite imagery to take on Apple's Flyover - Page 2

post #41 of 81

Say what you will about iOS Maps, the fact is that millions (10s of millions, in fact) of existing iPhone/iPodT/iPad users are converting to iOS6 despite the maps problem. This must irk Google something fierce. The fact that more than 5 million people have purchased iPhone 5 despite the misleading maps must bug Samsung and Motorola to no end. Imagine how many more would be sold if Apple fanboys were correctly guided to the stores by their maps. ;)

post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think you are taking what I said the wrong way and I probably worded it badly. I am saying Google has very little presence on mobile web period and it just got a whole lot less ....how is that not a problem?

Of course it could become a problem, as I already wrote myself in the original reply to you:

"... someday in the future unless they develop (if they haven't already) an effective mobile plan that relies very little on Apple's cooperation."

melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

GOOG's relatively good performance recently has a lot to do with people migrating their portfolio from FB to GOOG, and very little to do with AAPL.

And we know this because every recent purchaser of GOOG shares has confessed to selling FB to fund their new investment?

post #44 of 81
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post
They said they loved all their customers yet Google maps for iOS was never updated with any significant features in 5 years…

B…b…b…but Apple is the one that didn't update anything! lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

And we know this because every recent purchaser of GOOG shares has confessed to selling FB to fund their new investment?

It would surprise me too if traders were selling Apple shares to buy GOOG in any significant numbers. They've both done pretty darn well this year. Some of the other tech stocks including Facebook? Not so much...

post #46 of 81

who cares about google maps, the maps in ios 6 is NOT that bad, I have not had any issue actually

post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As usual, you're using a meaningless figure.
No one cares what percentage of Google's total revenue comes from iOS. Mobile devices are a small portion of Google's total revenue overall. Your comparison is like saying that GM should never try to make the Corvette competitive with Porsche because the Corvette is only a small portion of their revenues.
A much more relevant question is what percentage of mobile revenues come from iOS. That is, how do revenues from Android, RIM, WIndows mobile, etc stack up against iOS revenues? And by that analysis, iOS had something like 80% of Google's total mobile revenues.
I think that the entire premise of this article raises some interesting questions:
1. If Google has already implemented this, it negates their claim that Apple caught them by surprise. They clearly had some advance idea that Apple was going to do this and had the response almost ready to go.
2. Why in the world did they pick the remote cities that they did? While Apple is offering flyover for New York, San Francisco, etc, Google is offering Kankakee, IL and Gulfport, MS.
3. OTOH, if Google had this ready to go previously and only released it because of Apple, why? Do they not care enough about their customers to improve their apps until Apple forces them to? We already know that they don't care about iOS customers because they've left out important features there, but it seems like they don't care about any of their customers.
Looks to me like it's a very good thing for customers that Apple has done this.
BTW, anyone else notice the typical hypocrisy of the Apple hater? When they're defending Android's fragmentation, choice is good. The consumer benefits from thousands of different devices and OS variety that's so confusing that even the experts can't keep it straight. But when it comes to Apple introducing a new product into the market place that gives consumers another choice, they're the paragon of evil.

Apple didn't surprise Google. Apple's mapping and navigation acquisitions have been well publicized since 2009. Apple's Maps app was previewed at WWDC in June 2012.
Quote:

I think you are taking what I said the wrong way and I probably worded it badly. I am saying Google has very little presence on mobile web period and it just got a whole lot less ....how is that not a problem?

The link provided is interesting since mobile share of Google revenues has apparently already dropped considerably since mobile revenue comprised 6.58% of Google revenue in 2011. Has Google already taken a massive hit from Siri?

"During the company's conference call, Google's new chief executive Larry Page noted a "run rate" of $2.5 billion in annual mobile revenues (income derived from Android, iOS, and other platforms), growth of about 2.5 times the company's 2010 mobile revenues, but a tiny fraction of the revenues Apple is generating as a hardware maker." (1)

"While Google's chief executive Larry Page recently described an $2.5 billion annual run rate for the company's mobile revenues, the company has testified that it has earned less than $550 million from Android across four years from 2008 to 2011." (2)

“Mobile ads associated with maps or locations are estimated to account for about 25% of the roughly $2.5 billion spent on mobile ads in 2012, according to Opus Research, up from 10% in 2010. That is expected to grow as the number of location-aware software apps grows." (3)

Google produces USD $2.5 bn annually in mobile revenues (as of 2011)
80% of Google mobile revenues are (were) generated through Apple products
25% of Google mobile revenues are (were) generated specifically through maps and locations services (presumably) 80% of which was from the Apple iOS platform (as previously stated)

1. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 13 October 2011. Google announces nearly $10 billion in quarterly revenue, little mention of Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
2. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 29 March 2012. Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
3. Jessica E. Vascellaro and Amir Efrati. Published 4 June 2012. Apple and Google Expand Their Battle to Mobile Maps. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 9/28/12 at 1:49pm
post #48 of 81

A small but useful addition. Which Bing has had for ages.

post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Apple didn't surprise Google. Apple's mapping and navigation acquisitions have been well publicized since 2009. Apple's Maps app was previewed at WWDC in June 2012.
The link provided is interesting since mobile share of Google revenues has apparently already dropped considerably since mobile revenue comprised 6.58% of Google revenue in 2011. Has Google already taken a massive hit from Siri?

It's impossible to tell from any of those figures as far as I can see. Mobile ad revenue as a percentage of total Google revenues could have dropped simply because Google has gotten even better at desktop search over the past year or so. Their total revenues are up considerably YOY.  there's also sources that claim mobile click rates are lower than others, reducing the ad revenues contributed by mobile users overall. 

There's a fairly in-depth article about some of the factors here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/googles-mobile-ad-business-is-radically-altering-the-quality-of-its-revenues-2012-4?op=1

Note tho that after the article was published Google surprised WallStreet by coming in well above revenue projections in the following quarter.

post #50 of 81

I'll ask again: are the 45 degree images for mobile device apps? Along with the web version? If not, then why are so many people saying "Who cares? I'll stick with Apples Maps!"

Do the 45 degree images appear on the Google Maps app in iOS 5.1.1?

post #51 of 81

First they poo-poo'd Apple's lower-angle view, and now…? It's a complete 45-degree turnaround on Google's part. Flip-(a-little)-Floppers!

(Someone asked for humor. Best I could come up with on short notice.)

Actually, I don't think the Apple Maps are that bad. Yes, it's v1.0, and there's plenty to rag on about, but if you step back and view it entirely on its own merits, it's not so awful, and as a v1.0 it's pretty amazing. 

That apologist-sounding excuse aside, I prefer many things about Apple's Maps over Google, or MapQuest, or whatever… They could have maybe handled the transition away from Google a bit less abruptly. And Maps definitely has a good way to go to be on par with the other dedicated providers. But remember that once Apple gets on course with a thing, they tend to do it better than anyone else. Not always, but usually...

It'll be interesting to see where Maps is in 6 months from now. I suspect the complaints will be all but gone, and it will be the app of choice for most people by then...

post #52 of 81
Quote:

They can add gold leaf to the edges it doesn't matter. Apple are not going back and Google knows iOS has virtually the entire mobile web market sewn up. Those latest numbers showing Android tablets with less than 2% market share of web traffic are also seen by Google's advertising clients. iPhones make up a massive market share as hardware but again in terms of web traffic they swamp Android phones. Google are facing massive losses in revenue. Apple will improve their maps fast.

Please, maps was not a cash cow. All it lost was the licensing fee Apple was paying which was probably a few million. There are now enough Android devices for them to draw data from.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It would surprise me too if traders were selling Apple shares to buy GOOG in any significant numbers. They've both done pretty darn well this year. Some of the other tech stocks including Facebook? Not so much...

My point is that as one stock swings up and another down, it is fruitless to suggest investors are abandoning the first to invest in the second. That suggests a sequence of events that cannot be proven without first hand accounts from those investors.

post #54 of 81

Where are all the Fandroids that insisted flyover was useless?

<crickets>

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #55 of 81

Wow.

cannot believe Google is resorting to used car salesman tactics.

Apple did something revolutionary with their 3d rendering, which saves users on data downloads, increasing map speed and saving from data overages.

Google is simply doing the same thing as before, using IMAGES (not bandwidth saving 3D renders) and slanting them.

Pathetic.

Now I KNOW they're hurting.

Apple's maps are the new hotness, Google's just putting liptstick on a (bandwidth) pig.

post #56 of 81
That thing labelled "Cathedral of Pisa" is actually the bell tower next to the Cathedral of Pisa. Hurry up, start up a Tumblr: Google45DegreeGoofs, call the WSJ, put it on Yahoo's front page!
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

I'll ask again: are the 45 degree images for mobile device apps? Along with the web version? If not, then why are so many people saying "Who cares? I'll stick with Apples Maps!"

Do the 45 degree images appear on the Google Maps app in iOS 5.1.1?

Actually Google Maps added a bunch of cities to its already existing 45 degree features. Nothing to do with iOS, Cook's apology, mobile, etc. AI incorrectly stated that it is introducing this feature.

post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeiteasy View Post

Actually Google Maps added a bunch of cities to its already existing 45 degree features. Nothing to do with iOS, Cook's apology, mobile, etc. AI incorrectly stated that it is introducing this feature.

Yeah look at my earlier post.

All the other sites covering this "news" article about the 45 degree photos are all referencing it in comparison to Tim Cook's apology today, as well. Doesn't make sense to me. But whatever.

post #59 of 81

AI:  Get with it.  45 Degree view in Google Maps has been around for a while now.  Totally Apple-biased article.  I believe it was implemented to compete with Bing Map's "Brid's Eye View".  Maybe not in all the cities listed here but it has been around for a while.

post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Where are all the Fandroids that insisted flyover was useless?

Whoever said that? Much of Google's so called satellite view was taken from a plane.
post #61 of 81

For what its' worth DigitalGlobe, the source for (all?) Bing's "Bird's- eye" imagery is also a partner with Google for "satellite view"...

as well as Apple's satellite views too.

The currency of the imagery seems to vary between them in some areas tho. Here Apple's sat views are quite old (and lower resolution) compared to what Google shows. But another poster mentioned that in San Fran Google sat view seems to be a bit behind the times.

post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

That thing labelled "Cathedral of Pisa" is actually the bell tower next to the Cathedral of Pisa. Hurry up, start up a Tumblr: Google45DegreeGoofs, call the WSJ, put it on Yahoo's front page!

Good one. Apple can't find nonexistent addresses, but Google fails Social Studies.

They really ought not to sling mud when so much of it could end up back on them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 81
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

Good one. Apple can't find nonexistent addresses, but Google fails Social Studies.

They really ought not to sling mud when so much of it could end up back on them.

I thought the Leaning Tower of Pisa was in Brooklyn... or, maybe State College, PA.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Please, maps was not a cash cow. All it lost was the licensing fee Apple was paying which was probably a few million. There are now enough Android devices for them to draw data from.

If USD $500 mn is a "few million" to you then I am certain that I could never spend your entire fortune. Please adopt me.

Android-based smartphones are a curiosity. My customers who use Android-based smartphones have mostly been completely shocked when I told them their "smartphone" could provide turn-by-turn navigation.
post #65 of 81
forgive me if this was covered already but being a satellite image it's just a 45° from one side, not the 3D view you get from FlyOver, right?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #66 of 81
Quote:

... someday in the future unless they develop (if they haven't already) an effective mobile plan that relies very little on Apple's cooperation.

For now any loss of revenue's from Google' Maps not being the default on iOS devices is probably a minor blip and all but unnoticeable in the big picture. The total revenue from ALL Google services on iOS are estimated to contribute just 2.5% of Google overall revenues, and maps is is just a percentage of that 2.5%. IMO it's unlikely to be more than a few hundred million if the estimates of iOS contributions were correct.

I think your buddies at Google realize that future is coming sooner rather than later.  If Apple "iPods" the tablet market, Google is literally screwed.  Why do you think Page gripes about people accessing the web through apps (sans Google Analytics and the rest of their spyware) every chance he gets, or why the Nexus 7 has to be sold at a loss?  I for one can hardly wait for that future.  

post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

forgive me if this was covered already but being a satellite image it's just a 45° from one side, not the 3D view you get from FlyOver, right?

Correct from the ones I've looked at. All the images I've seen have been 45˚ from the south.

post #68 of 81
Quote:

I think you actually would have made more money over the last several months by investing in Google stock over Apple

There's alot of stocks which would have made more than Apple in that timeframe.  This year I've already more than doubled up my portfolio... 

post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Correct from the ones I've looked at. All the images I've seen have been 45˚ from the south.

Then it's not really comparable. In the months I've been using iOS 6 I've had absolutely no use for FlyOver and miss Street View quite a bit but this 45° shot from a single angle is no FlyOver.

post #70 of 81
Quote:

But that won't stop Google and all of its shills from pretending that it's just the same.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #71 of 81
Quote:

But that won't stop Google and all of its shills from pretending that it's just the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google (through Moto) is now busy trying to find some 45° angle still shot that is beautiful on Google Maps but rendered poorly by FlyOver to prove how it's superior.

What's sad is that Google has some legitimate claims it can make against Apple Maps but it's make sleazy claims instead.

post #72 of 81
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Then it's not really comparable. In the months I've been using iOS 6 I've had absolutely no use for FlyOver and miss Street View quite a bit but this 45° shot from a single angle is no FlyOver.

Completely agree, although I might use the flyover thing more if I lived somewhere where it is implemented. The 45˚ view is pleasing to look at, but it's not the view that you would actually see - it has to be re-projected to the underlying map projection in use.

post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Is that Los Banos or Los Baños? I'm not sure I'd want to live in the latter, LOL
For men at least, that 45 degree angle is essential in Los Baños!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #74 of 81
Quote:

question...in all seriousness...

who the hell has actually said that?

There you go constructing your straw army so you can walk in, battle-ready, like a fool defeating your fabricated foes.
Edited by AbsoluteDesignz - 9/29/12 at 3:47am
post #75 of 81
Um, this was just a regular imagery update for Google Maps. They post them all the time (earlier posts are here: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/imagery). It has nothing to do with Apple Maps.

Further, Google launched 45-degree imagery back in late 2009 - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2009/12/changing-your-perspective.html. This isn't some new feature they just launched. They regulary add new cities - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/oblique%20imagery. It's similar to Bing's Birds Eye mode. Rather than break 45-degree out as a seperate layer (like Bing did), Google integrated it into the zoom levels -- if you have satellite imagery enabled, when you zoom in, you'll automatically be switched to 45-degree imagery once you zoom in far enough. If you have Maps GL enabled, if you keep zooming in, you'll transition to Street View. It's kind of a neat trick.
Edited by derekmorr - 9/28/12 at 8:47pm
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Um, this was just a regular imagery update for Google Maps. They post them all the time (earlier posts are here: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/imagery). It has nothing to do with Apple MaAps.
Further, Google launched 45-degree imagery back in late 2009 - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2009/12/changing-your-perspective.html. This isn't some new feature they just launched. They regulary add new cities - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/oblique%20imagery. It's similar to Bing's Birds Eye mode. Rather than break 45-degree out as a seperate layer (like Bing did), Google integrated it into the zoom levels -- if you have satellite imagery enabled, when you zoom in, you'll automatically be switched to 45-degree imagery once you zoom in far enough. If you have Maps GL enabled, if you keep zooming in, you'll transition to Street View. It's kind of a neat trick.

I never saw it in Google because of my somewhat rural location. Bing does have my location in their Birds Eye 45 degree view from two directions. Apple flyover only gets basic landscape topology for me, no 3D buildings or foliage. These features are nice, but the utility is often limited. SteetView proved helpful a couple times.
Edited by JeffDM - 9/29/12 at 7:35am
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

who cares about google maps, the maps in ios 6 is NOT that bad, I have not had any issue actually
LOL. You Apple apologists are awesome. You accept mediocrity with amazing ease, as long as there is an Apple logo attached.
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

LOL. You Apple apologists are awesome. You accept mediocrity with amazing ease, as long as there is an Apple logo attached.

You haters are so insecure, you troll Apple forums.
post #79 of 81
Apple is going to throw some more very serious money at this problem to keep Google out of their user database. And well they should. They have been feeding one of their big competitors customer info for free for a long time, and the old Google maps on Apple were never anything to write home about. My son had Google's Android maps on his Samsung and we'd compared the version on his phone vs. my iPhone 4, and Google was providing better features in their OS than Apple's. So why would Apple continue to support that crap.... No, Apple needed to cut the cord, go cold turkey. The current pain is just withdrawal symptoms from a bad drug. It will get better and Apple will eventually be much better off.
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy View Post
As impressive as 3D flyover, or 45 degree visualization is, how really useful is it?

I've been using this feature on the Google Maps web site (which has had it for almost a year now) pretty extensively. It's very useful for me when house-hunting for a new house, along with Google Street it allows me to get a good look at the house and neighborhood I might be interested in from various perspectives. I can see whether the neighbors are hoarders, resolution is often good enough to tell how good the roof is and what it's made out of (tile, wood shake, shingle, metal), and then I can drop down to street level and see whether the surrounding houses are in good condition with neat lawns and the cars parked in the driveways and along the streets are well maintained and relatively new, or whether it's an utter ghetto. I just checked my new Samsung Galaxy SIII that replaced my iPhone 4, and it appears Google *has* implemented this, sort of, in their new Google Maps for Android. But as usual with Google, the user interface is terrible (you have to hit the little "target" on the screen until it flips into angle view, then swivel the picture by twirling two fingers until it has the perspective you want). I just went and looked at the new iOS5 map on my iPad for my neighborhood, and compared to the Google map it is... odd. It shows two cars in my driveway, for example, but I only have one car. Both cars (and all the cars in all the driveways for that matter) look weirdly deformed, one looks like a pile of junk even.  And I know when the photo was taken and that it was when I lived in this place because it was taken during the time between when the television tower fell on the roof of my house, and when it was removed. (Said tower was just a steel pole with a bunch of aluminum tubes on the top so didn't go thru the roof, but it was a rather large assemblage of tubes and wires on the roof for some months while the best way of removing it was investigated). Uhm, yeah. I think Apple needs to do a bit more work with their data provider on this one. (Google, of course, is their own data provider -- they quit using TeleNav for their imagery long ago). 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google Maps adds new 45-degree satellite imagery to take on Apple's Flyover