or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful' - Page 2

post #41 of 114

Can Appleinsider move on from this bullshit? Please? This shit is plastered over every other techsite with all the haters foaming at the mouth with glee. Why does AI have to plaster trash like the NYT article on tis front page, and reward the writers with even more clicks. Maps have worked better for me than the old one ever did, and everyday I benefit from the turn by turn, better cartography, vector tiles, iOS integration, etc. It's managed to find every search I've done in my city, and the one it DIDNT find, Google maps didn't either. Yes, they have to keep working on the data and POIs, but anyone who expected it to be on the same level as Google's on day 1, a cmpany who has spent the last 10 years with publically available maps and getting feedback from billions every single day, is insane and irrational. It is in many ways superior to what we had before, and in some ways inferior- and in those cases, it takes one tap to go to "maps.google.com" or any other map app, and there's more options today than there was in iOS5, and overall the mapping situation is BETTER not worse, as we have built in features that have been requested for a long time. The Apple hate fest machine is unbelievable, and propagated by those who haven't even USED the app, yet are so certain it's 'appalling', because they literally have nothing else to bash Apple over anymore. 

 

This self-entitled, self-righteous whining is pathetic. 

post #42 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.
Something tells me you're going to be waiting for awhile.
post #43 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I call BS on this. You are just piling on and have accepted the troll bait... Move along... Nothing to see here...

I think he was being sarcastic.......
post #44 of 114
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Redacted joke about Research in Motion blaming Apple Maps for driving them into a financial hole because I decided it was more sad than funny.

 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #45 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

classy

post #46 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.


Aren't too bright are you?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #47 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

My first real use of the new maps app wasn't very impressive. I was looking for a Sports Authority and it found two locations, both of which were no longer in business, and it did not have the locations for the new ones (a friend that was with me found the correct locations on his Lumia.) I will probably be using google maps from now on, although the turn by turn directions will be nice when the data catches up. 1hmm.gif
The features are irrelevant until the data is (something like) reliable.

Google Maps have regularly been unable to locate businesses such as USPS, DPS and various restaurants in Austin, TX. Google Maps have given me unclear and incorrect directions on a number of occasions. Google Maps have taken an unacceptable amount of time to load routes on many occasions.

 

Sounds like those are too unreliable as well.

post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It's plain ignorant to suggest this map controversy is overdone. Foe most people maps is much less useful than google maps and is, practically, a significant downgrade. They need to bring google maps back ASAP and spend some time fixing apple maps or just dump it.

Turn-by-turn makes it more useful for me and many other users. I have rarely used Street View, and never for anything that practical.

post #49 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


If misplaced businesses are the biggest of your concerns, then I give you a non-functioning search and search results giving me addresses kilometers away from their right place despite everything being correctly charted on the map. That's my experience with Apple's Maps, I wish misplaced businesses (something I can easily look on the web for an address and create a contact that Google Maps will correctly point out afterwards) was the worst of my problems. Fortunately, I have not upgraded yet.
I don't trust ANY mapping service to inform me about local businesses, but I do trust Google Maps to give me directions to local addresses, even if in some cases it leads me to the wrong block, that beats leading me to places kilometers away or not even knowing where a street is by a huge margin.

Interesting, I've had Google route me to entirely different cities, despite the address being entered in correctly and in full (like if I type in Austin, TX and a ZIP, why does it choose to route me to a city in California with a completely different address?). I've also searched for businesses and followed the Google Map route, which lead me to a completely different block or area of town than I was supposed to be in.

post #50 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


But Google at least sends you to addresses related to your search query; Apple maps sends you to completely random places (when it doesn't simply tell you that it couldn't find anything despite the fact that what you're looking for is perfectly charted on the map being displayed right on your screen).

Google Maps has often routed me to an address or location that is unrelated to my search query.

post #51 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Redacted joke about Research in Motion blaming Apple Maps for driving them into a financial hole because I decided it was more sad than funny.

LOLZ!
post #52 of 114
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post
classy

 

Enjoy everything.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In the wake of criticism over its Maps application for iOS 6, Apple has revised its website to no longer refer to the software as the most "powerful mapping service ever."

So basically a retraction- A very sad day for Apple and iFans indeed.
post #54 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

Look man the term smart phone.  Means exactly that.  SIRI was mad at you for buying a samsung TV.  So she sent you into the lake as a lesson on buying Samsung products.  Besides you needed a bath anyways right?

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #55 of 114

Just because it changed does not mean it had anything to do with "the wake of criticism over its Maps application for iOS 6".

 

I flew back from a business trip to L.A. on 20 September so that MUST have been because iOS 6 was released, right?

post #56 of 114
I looked at my neighborhood in NYC on Apple maps and it basically looks like Manhattan post Hiroshima bomb with melting buildings and parks. Like what is this and who wants it?
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I looked at my neighborhood in NYC on Apple maps and it basically looks like Manhattan post Hiroshima bomb with melting buildings and parks. Like what is this and who wants it?

 

Manhattan was largely unaffected by that bomb.

post #58 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Manhattan was largely unaffected by that bomb.

Well then can you tell that to Apple? I have more important things to tend to.
post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Manhattan was largely unaffected by that bomb.

Then can you tell that to Apple? I have more important things to tend to.

 

Posting your anti-Apple sentiments on this forum is presumably one of them?

post #60 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Posting your anti-Apple sentiments on this forum is presumably one of them?

I'm pro Apple- just anti Apple Maps.
Next?
post #61 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You're correct .... remember all of the "pros" who called it garbage? Look what PC Mag says about it now ..... "Final Cut Pro X is a delight to work in compared with other serious video editing software. Final Cut Pro X brings the prosumer loads of power, ease-of-use, and no-wait performance. The speed gains (from 64-bit code and multicore support), the two-thirds price cut, and some nimble new tools in a fluid, highly usable and precise interface make Final Cut Pro X our Editors' Choice for high-end video editing."

 

PC Mag isn't exactly what you'd call a noted authority on the subject of professional production tools, is it?

 

The operative word has been highlighted in that text.  Work in a pro facility includes activities not even imagined, much less understood, by one man bands like us.

 

The editors down the hall from me tell me X is improving, but even now it doesn't integrate into accepted workflows and industry-standard systems the way Studio did.  I'm a sound guy so my take is hearsay, but the sayers I'm hearing tell me it ain't no Symphony.

post #62 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


So basically a retraction- A very sad day for Apple and iFans indeed.

 

At the end of the day, it's about an app. When the competition can barely get an entire platform right (some can't even get one off the ground), and *our* biggest complaint is a map app, it's pretty much picnics and roses for "Apple and iFans."

 

This goes to show just how spoiled "Apple and iFans" are (and just how *important* Apple's mobile platform is to the bulk of the market.)

post #63 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At the end of the day, it's about an app. When the competition can barely get an entire platform right (some can't even get one off the ground), and *our* biggest complaint is a map app, it's pretty much picnics and roses for "Apple and iFans."

This goes to show just how spoiled "Apple and iFans" are (and just how *important* Apple's mobile platform is to the bulk of the market.)

Listen- when both Tim Cook apologizes and Apple retracts its mapping superiority claim, us clueless, spoiled "trolls" have been validated.
'Nuff said
post #64 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Next time, wash your car so Apple doesn't have to do it for you.
I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.

 

Oh, for goodness' sake. Perhaps nobody has compiled any 'statistical' evidence, so you're just going to have to accept the torrent of individual data points indicating as such.

 

If you didn't have a laughable inability to accept any flaws in any Apple product, this wouldn't be anywhere near as hard for you.

post #65 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

They need to bring google maps back ASAP and spend some time fixing apple maps or just dump it.

Sure they do. A hampered and lame app without turn-by-turn navigation right?
post #66 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Well then can you tell that to Apple? I have more important things to tend to.

Why exactly would he have to tell Apple in Cupertino that NYC wasn't largely affected by an atomic bomb that fell in Hiroshima, Japan in 1945? You just get crazier and crazier every year, Teckstud.
Edited by SolipsismX - 9/30/12 at 5:29pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #67 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Posting your anti-Apple sentiments on this forum is presumably one of them?

I'm pro Apple- just anti Apple Maps.
Next?

 

OK. So posting your anti-Apple-maps sentiments on this forum is one of the more important things you have to tend to?

post #68 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Why exactly would he have to tell Apple in Cupertino that NYC was largely affected by an atomic bomb that fell in Hiroshima, Japan in 1945? You just get crazier and crazier every year, Teckstud.

Bazinga! lol.gif

post #69 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

OK. So posting your anti-Apple-maps sentiments on this forum is one of the more important things you have to tend to?

My postings are not based on emotions but rather factually based; therefore not a "sentiment" so therefore I can't answer that question.
post #70 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Obviously you are referencing the faked address Motorola ad.

No I'm not, I'm referring my own experience. I'm not gullible, unlike most of you here. I don't say the things I say because of the media, I say the things I say because of my experience; nobody makes a big deal out of the loss of the Dock connector, yet that's a big deal to me as well, and I've been quite verbose about it here in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Personally Apple Maps works great for me. I actually haven't had that particular problem since I've been using it, but I can tell you,

You can stop denying that it has issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Google was quite fond of doing that to me. Often sends me to addresses on the East coast when I search with my locator firmly on the West.

But it doesn't send you to locations that have absolutely nothing to do with your search query, when it actually finds anything, which is my experience. At least you can tell why it sent you to those addresses; I can not tell why Apple maps sends me to some places that have absolutely nothing in common with my search query, and that's annoying, because I have no way to know what to do in order to get a more accurate search result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

The only problem I have had with Apple maps so far is that it tried to tell me there was a WalMart a mile from me (where I know there's not one) located in a single family home in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. But then google's done that to me quite often,

Come to Europe and and witness how shitty Apple Maps actually is. Obviously your experience won't vary much in the US, which is the market everyone targets first,. so you can't use that to make a statement of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I've even driven to Google supplied addresses to find they were dead wrong -- so much so I got into the habit of always calling first (how's that for a reliable App?).

That's my experience with Apple Maps all the time, so you answer me that question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Now, I do miss Street View, but that alone doesn't make or break my mapping experience, nor does it qualify Google as a superior mapping app to Apple's. Again, I find this a trumped up argument. Google has been guilty of this for years, and now Apple does it too and it's the worst app ever invented? Don't think so.

Nobody blames Apple for trying to build their own mapping platform; what people blame Apple for is feeding that clearly inferior platform down everyone's throats. Google Maps wasn't fed down anyone's throats, it didn't replace anything that already existed, it might have obsoleted other services for being a better option, but it never did so by replacing them, so yes, Apple deserves all the negative press because they fucked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Plus, outside of the Motorola ad, there's little evidence that this is endemic to Apple's App.

The problem (with the app, not the data) is that it's not in sync with the map. THAT is a fundamental flaw whether it manifests itself or not, and it does manifest itself a lot where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

These kinds of complaints seem generated by someone unwilling to take personal responsibility for the search terms they input. Garbage in, garbage out. An Android using friend of mine, loves to take my iPhone and ask Siri questions that few humans could answer much less an AI. And of course Siri has trouble with complex and esoteric questions for which it was not otherwise intended. But to my friend it's proof positive Siri is fundamentally flawed. That's what I feel like I'm seeing here. It's fun to poke fun at technology that fails to live up to the expeditions Star Trek has embedded in us, but fundamentally wrong to take the human counterpart out of the equation and criticize the product in a vacuum.

Your straw man fallacy is driving you to an ocean of pointless drivel.
post #71 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why exactly would he have to tell Apple in Cupertino that NYC was largely affected by an atomic bomb that fell in Hiroshima, Japan in 1945? You just get crazier and crazier every year, Teckstud.

Once again a reading comprehension refresher course is called for as I said it "looks" like Hiroshima with melted buildings and parks. Who or what is a Tekstud?
post #72 of 114

Really? You can't read road signs? It has nothing to do with intuition.

post #73 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


So basically a retraction- A very sad day for Apple and iFans indeed.

 

Only in your dreams. A modification to their website is hardly "news." Know what's really sad? AppleInsider is just pandering to the likes of you for the forum traffic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #74 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Only in your dreams. A modification to their website is hardly "news." Know what's really sad? AppleInsider is just pandering to the likes of you for the forum traffic.

"Hardly news" yet the very topic of this very thread and deemed very newsworthy by none other than AppleInsider itself? Do you now see the foolishness in your post?
post #75 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.

Funny you're still waiting for something you never asked... Also, why are you only accepting statistical evidence? What about all the fundamental flaws that I've pointed out already? Why are those not valid evidence? Why have you never replied to any of the posts where I indicated those flaws?
post #76 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

My favorite posts are the ones claiming life has ended and the poster is completely disoriented, unable to move, unable to function without the old Maps app. Are there really people like that in this world? And boy are they gonna be pissed when they find out Google Maps is NOT EVER coming back to iOS (imho). Google may submit it but I seriously doubt Apple will allow it now that we know the circumstances of the Google/Apple breakup over turn-by-turn voice instructions. Duplication of functionality would be my guess. 

 

The drama queens are in full display over this one. Self immolation may be next I'm afraid.

post #77 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Only in your dreams. A modification to their website is hardly "news." Know what's really sad? AppleInsider is just pandering to the likes of you for the forum traffic.

You are correct in pointing out that modifying a website is hardly news; you are, however, missing the entire point behind that modification in particular, which is the newsworthy detail.
post #78 of 114

I've used Google Maps and Apple maps now for a few queries. Almost every time, Google is wrong. Here's an example of a friends house: https://jkichline.s3.amazonaws.com/map.jpg  The Google address is in the middle of the road by a farm. The Apple address is right on their house! In fact, the entire housing development does not exist in satellite photography.

 

In addition, placing the address for the community center on Google put most attendees to a birthday party on the complete other side of town about 40 minutes away!!! Google is fail at least in this town.

 

Also, I just had to look up an address for a conference near Pittsburgh. I put in the address in google maps and it put me in a residential community instead of the location of the conference. Apple got it right the first time.

 

So I do not experience anything close to what people are talking about with Apple Maps. It's proved better than Google Maps, at least for me. Sorry over-sensationalized news outlets.

post #79 of 114
Bye bye Google maps... Good riddance.
post #80 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

My favorite posts are the ones claiming life has ended and the poster is completely disoriented, unable to move, unable to function without the old Maps app. Are there really people like that in this world? And boy are they gonna be pissed when they find out Google Maps is NOT EVER coming back to iOS (imho). Google may submit it but I seriously doubt Apple will allow it now that we know the circumstances of the Google/Apple breakup over turn-by-turn voice instructions. Duplication of functionality would be my guess. 

Where does this duplication of functionality nonsense come from? There are plenty of mapping apps in the app store, why would Google's be rejected?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful'