or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10

Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10

post #1 of 118
A new report suggests Apple will send out invitations on Oct. 10 for a media event at which the company will unveil a new, smaller iPad.

Citing an unnamed source, Philip Elmer-DeWitt of Apple 2.0 reported on Monday that members of the press will be invited to the event on Wednesday, Oct. 10. That would suggest the event itself would be held a week later on Wednesday, Oct. 17, as Apple typically gives a week's notice with its invitations.

If Apple were to follow recent launch schedules as it has done with the iPhone 5 and new iPad, the so-called "iPad mini" could then go on sale on Friday, Oct. 26.

Monday's rumor comes from an unidentified "major Apple investor" who spoke with Elmer-DeWitt and cited "multiple sources" for the date invitations will allegedly go out.

Mini

Reports first surfaced in August that Apple was planning to hold a media event this month to introduce a smaller and lighter iPad. The new product is believed to feature a screen that will measure 7.85 inches diagonally, smaller than the 9.7-inch display found on all iPad models to date.

Leaked components and device mockups have also suggested the device will have a smaller bezel around the screen than the current iPad, as users will be able to hold it easily with one hand. The smaller iPad has also been shown with Apple's new Lightning connector, featured on the iPhone 5 and updated iPod touch and iPod nano.
post #2 of 118
Meh. I like mine the way it is.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 118
I think it makes perfect sense. Should be a killer Xmas gift for kids.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #4 of 118

So now we are speculating not just about date of product unveiling but about the date of announcing the date of product unveiling? Samsung and Google could only wish for such enthusiasm about their marketing.

post #5 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think it makes perfect sense. Should be a killer Xmas gift for kids.

Or parents who don't really need a full fledged tablet (but may benefit) and occasionally use a Kindle. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #6 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

So now we are speculating not just about date of product unveiling but about the date of announcing the date of product unveiling? Samsung and Google could only wish for such enthusiasm about their marketing.

Ehh I don't know about that, all potential unveilings make their way around the tech universe. Other than the iPhone, none really make it to mainstream.

post #7 of 118

One way or the other, it doesn't really matter to me, as I'm rocking original sized iPads, and am quite happy with that.

But, it would nice if they don't release one, just so that I won't have to read all of the whining that will happen when and if they release one.

It's too expensive! Why can't Apple release cheap junk like everybody else, so that I could afford it? My mom only pays me $5.00 a week in allowance.

What? No Retina? That's unacceptable! I was a complete idiot and I had unrealistic and ignorant expectations, so now I'm going to have to prove to the world just how dumb, ignorant and self-entitled I am by ranting about it.

post #8 of 118
So if this is true, I guess it makes the job of mac sales easy.

1) How big?
2) How much do you want to spend?

How can you compete with that, seriously?
post #9 of 118
Anyone have any insight on how this impacts the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.

I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?
post #10 of 118

Can't wait. Would be nice to see something other than MAPGATE in Apple headlines. The funny thing is that I could have gathered thousands of wrong wrong/missing POIs or map issues during the years in Google maps if I wanted to, the amount of times a search brought back fucked up results is massive. The difference is there's not as many frothing at the mouth Google haters as there are Apple haters online, and at the end of the day noone would have cared. 

post #11 of 118
Why do people have to tell us they don't care about mini and they're happy with old iPad? Who cares? I wouldn't have an old iPad because in my opinion they are redundant to any MBP or MBA. I do have a Kindle Fire which is the correct form factor but wrong OS. The mini will fix that problem.
post #12 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggram View Post

I do have a Kindle Fire which is the correct form factor but wrong OS. 

It's not exactly the same form factor. Kindle Fire and most other tablets are 16:9, which is horrible for a tablet as they are basically made for landscape use only. Portrait view on a 16:9 tablet looks awkward, wrong and retarded.

iPads are 4:3, which is just right for a tablet as it looks great when used in both landscape and portrait. iPads are made for use in all orientations, Android tablets are not.

post #13 of 118

I hear it's only going to be 8GBs at a price between $250.00 to 300.00US.

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #14 of 118

And Tallest Skil's head will explode in 3...2...1...

;-)  I welcome this news. My wife wants one, which surprises me as she's not really into "techie" things, but I'm not going to argue if she wants to buy another Apple gadget for the family!

post #15 of 118
Hopefully it comes with iOS 5.1.1 so I can download a single song with iTunes match. Maybe even choose to download an SD movie instead of automatically downloading HD. Was really looking forward to this prior to iOS 6 which reminds me of the problems when Windows 95 was first released. Still love the hardware but the software has many more issues than just maps.
post #16 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Anyone have any insight on how this impacts the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.
I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?

I hear it will happen on or before October 31st. No need to thank me.  :-)

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #17 of 118
Like why do we need an event for whats basically a Kindle Fire competitor? A mini iPad or Maxi Touch if you will event is akin to one for a Nano or iPod shuffle- Unnecessary.
Where's the iMac event?
post #18 of 118

Let's hope they release any 7" tablet at a good margin level because we don't need current tablet margins to be eroded.  Too cheap and it's time to sell stock.

post #19 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I hear it will happen on or before October 31st. No need to thank me.  :-)

Okay, no thanks. Just kidding!! Although, isn't it odd how the article mentions October 26th. Isn't that the day Microsoft's Windows 8 is to be released?

post #20 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153040/apple-rumored-to-send-out-ipad-mini-event-invitations-on-oct-10#post_2202678"]
It's not exactly the same form factor. Kindle Fire and most other tablets are 16:9, which is horrible for a tablet as they are basically made for landscape use only. Portrait view on a 16:9 tablet looks awkward, wrong and retarded.

iPads are 4:3, which is just right for a tablet as it looks great when used in both landscape and portrait. iPads are made for use in all orientations, Android tablets are not.

Wait - didn't I use to hear that the iPhone would never be 16:9 either, that Apple's original ratio was perfect, yada, yada, yada?
Just sayin...
post #21 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I was thinking that same thing.  :-)

I was also musing on how different this is from when Microsoft announced their floppy-keyboard/propped-up display tablet. It was like they rented the space and then shooed on some reporters, had monkey boy come out to dance, flashed some barely-functional prototypes at the sparse gathering, blew up one prototype, made a lot of vapor-ware statements, and then threw everyone back out the door. The whole event caused some chatter on the web for about two weeks and then it all subsided into the background noise.

post #22 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggram View Post

Why do people have to tell us they don't care about mini and they're happy with old iPad? Who cares? I wouldn't have an old iPad because in my opinion they are redundant to any MBP or MBA. I do have a Kindle Fire which is the correct form factor but wrong OS. The mini will fix that problem.

I think people like to "justify" why they won't be buying one.  I suppose it's better than my method, which apparently is to try to buy one of everything Apple makes. Having said that, I like my iPad but as I mentioned, I can see my family buying one of these, too.  Then the kids can use the iPad 2 exclusively.

I want an MBA but i have two iPads (2 and a Retina).  Is it terribly redundant?  I think the only way I can justify it is to wait until they release a retina MBA, or just skip it and get a MBP instead.

post #23 of 118
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
And Tallest Skil's head will explode in 3...2...1...

I've said for months that I think they're foolish enough to do this. I don't get why people relish in the idea of Apple doing the same terrible things it did in the '90s.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #24 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've said for months that I think they're foolish enough to do this. I don't get why people relish in the idea of Apple doing the same terrible things it did in the '90s.

Ah, I was just making a poor attempt at a joke, I know your disdain for the iPad Mini. or iPad Air. Or iPod Maxi.

;-)

post #25 of 118
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
…the iPad Mini. or iPad Air. Or iPod Maxi.

Or "Ignore the pricing of our iPod touch". Whatever they plan to call it. lol.gif

post #26 of 118
Interested to see if it is full powered. My original feels pretty slow compared to these dance new iPhones, and the screen size may even be a us if it is full powered behind the smaller screen. Long as I can teach my classes on it they might downsize me...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #27 of 118
Quote:

Except in the 90s those dozens of crappy computers were all horrible which is why they failed. At that time they were also losing market share to Windows. This time around they will only have a two sizes of excellent so it should be a completely different story, plus they are currently the market leaders in the mobile/tablet space.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #28 of 118
I say if the invite isn't sent out on the 10th or isn't for the iPad (cause its for new Macs etc) we launch a campaign demanding the guy be fired for being an idiot.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #29 of 118
Quote:

The trouble is that whether Apple does this or not doesn't depend on your disdain of the idea and you have in fact never presented a good reason (at least none that I've ever heard), why this is such a bad idea.  

The closest you ever get is (paraphrased) "there's nothing a small iPad can do that the big iPad can't," which is a ridiculous psuedo-argument that just goes in circles.  

post #30 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153040/apple-rumored-to-send-out-ipad-mini-event-invitations-on-oct-10#post_2202662"]

What? No Retina? That's unacceptable! I was a complete idiot and I had unrealistic and ignorant expectations, so now I'm going to have to prove to the world just how dumb, ignorant and self-entitled I am by ranting about it.

If you are trying to prevent that forget it. We get that several times over with every thing they release.

post #31 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Wait - didn't I use to hear that the iPhone would never be 16:9 either, that Apple's original ratio was perfect, yada, yada, yada?
Just sayin...

Just provoking, you mean. Don't you know the difference between a phone and a tablet?

16:9 is a terrible size for a tablet because it becomes a plank, and it is no good for portrait as Apple 2 says.

It's also terrible for a phone that is so wide that you have to type with two hands. But it's perfect for a small phone that you can thumb-type with one hand.

If Apple knows how to do anything, it's to match form with function, and device with market.

Stop sayin . . .

By the way, I don't remember anyone saying 16:9 was a bad ratio for a phone. Prove it.
post #32 of 118
Quote:

They haven't done it yet. Lets wait and see if it happens

post #33 of 118

It makes sense. I believe they are announcing their quarterly earnings results on the 16th, so a 17th announcement would be logical.

post #34 of 118

I suggest another date to Tim : October 27th, in order to ruin the MicroSoft event ....

post #35 of 118

It doesn't matter if the iPad mini is pocketable or not as long as it fits under the Christmas tree.

post #36 of 118

I hope Tim makes a reference to sandpaper just for the jokes

post #37 of 118
Quote:

And, yet, you've never explained why an iPad Mini would be "the same terrible things it did in the '90s".
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 118
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
…you have in fact never presented a good reason (at least none that I've ever heard), why this is such a bad idea.  
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
And, yet, you've never explained why an iPad Mini would be "the same terrible things it did in the '90s".

Choosing to ignore my arguments when presented, multiple times, ≠ 'not having an argument'.

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
They haven't done it yet. Lets wait and see if it happens

A valid point. I'll just wait and hope it doesn't. 

post #39 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I hope Tim makes a reference to sandpaper just for the jokes

That would be funny! biggrin.gif Apple logo branded emery boards for the ladies.

post #40 of 118
Quote:

There's nothing more eye-rollingly ridiculous than you desperately trying to tie Apple's actions today to the '90s', using shockingly bad and irrelevant analogies. Yes, because you don't agree with a particular decision then it's paramount of Apple 'doing the same terrible things it did in the 90s'. We've all seen how much insight you have into anything Apple might or might not do, and your predictions of success or failure, and that insight is exactly Zero. Apple has proven you wrong about absolutely all of your predictions. I'm shocked how you can still have the hubris and narcissism to put your opinions on such a high pedestal and pretend you have a clue. You can say you're not personally interested in an iPad mini. But no, that doesn't work for you, you need to say the above, with the usual sensational doom and gloom, about a product that may quite possibly be their most successful ever. Unreal. You're no different than the typical troll here, where reality doesn't phase you or have any impact on your worldview. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10