or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: 'iPad mini' production now underway in Brazil

Rumor: 'iPad mini' production now underway in Brazil

post #1 of 36
With an official unveiling expected this month, Apple is said to be currently building "iPad mini" units at a Foxconn factory in Brazil.

Citing an unnamed source, Japanese blog Macotakara reported on Monday that production of the iPad mini is currently underway at a Brazilian factory. It was not known whether units were also being built in China, where most of Apple's devices are assembled.

The source also reportedly said that the final production unit does not have a microphone hole on the back side of the case. The new iPhone 5 added a microphone between the rear-facing camera and flash on the back of the unit, and mockups of Apple's smaller iPad also showed a rear mic.

Monday's report didn't identify Foxconn by name, but the company is responsible for assembling the majority of Apple's products, and opened a new factory in Brazil earlier this year.

Rumors first surfaced in July that Apple would produce its 7.85-inch iPad at a Foxconn factory in Brazil starting in September. The same website reported over the summer that production would begin in time for a fall launch.

Foxconn Brazil
Foxconn's factory in Jundiai, Brazil.

The latest report continues a flurry of iPad mini related news that has surfaced on Monday. Earlier reports pegged a possible Oct. 17 event to unveil the anticipated device, while a mockup of the rumored product was compared to a Google Nexus 7 and an Amazon Kindle Fire HD.
post #2 of 36
Let those conveyor belts roll .... Oh yeah ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Foxconn Brazil

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape with the new iPad Mini.

Edited by tylerk36 - 10/1/12 at 12:52pm
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape wit the new iPad Mini.

With all of the leaks happening, I would suggest that Foxconn installs machine guard towers at crucial points in and around their factories. They should also thoroughly search everybody entering and leaving the premises.

Thieves and criminals should know that if you try to steal Apple products, then you might end up in deep shit. That might make them think twice before stealing.

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Let those conveyor belts roll .... Oh yeah ...

Put me down for two.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #6 of 36
Quote:

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape with the new iPad Mini.

Have you ever looked at razor wire up close? It doesn't matter which way it's tilted, going over it will suck no matter what.....
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Have you ever looked at razor wire up close? It doesn't matter which way it's tilted, going over it will suck no matter what.....

Sounds like a Brazilian wax substitute. Ouch!
post #8 of 36
The one thing that's rather obvious in the pic below is that the barbwire fence is designed to prevent the workers from getting out, not from outsiders trying to get in (sort of like a prison).
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

The fence is designed to keep people in.  The top of the fence is tilted inwards.  If it was designed to keep people out then the top would be tilted outwards.  They don't want workers trying to escape wit the new iPad Mini.

With all of the leaks happening, I would suggest that Foxconn installs machine guard towers at crucial points in and around their factories. They should also thoroughly search everybody entering and leaving the premises.

Thieves and criminals should know that if you try to steal Apple products, then you might end up in deep shit. That might make them think twice before stealing.

Maybe that is why we haven't seen any real parts yet. In Brazil they haven't established the underground leak for profit business model like in China. Give them time, they are new to this game. As far as the tilt of the stanchions, we don't know whether the adjoining parcel put up the fence or if Foxconn put up the fence. In Latin America there are a lot of those fences around almost every commercial industrial building. Sometimes they are double tilting in both directions.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 36
Quote:

When I saw that photo, I was thinking they just built a brand new factory to look like a 40-year-old sweat shop.  But now that I think about it, it actually does look more like a 40-year-old prison.

post #11 of 36
Quote:

Or ... If you do break in you aren't getting out ... just saying.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

When I saw that photo, I was thinking they just built a brand new factory to look like a 40-year-old sweat shop.  But now that I think about it, it actually does look more like a 40-year-old prison.

Obviously, they are keeping people out. Not preventing people from leaving.

Thanks for the drive-by trolling.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Sounds like a Brazilian wax substitute. Ouch!

WTF? Not funny, not remotely related, and completely inappropriate.  

post #14 of 36

I can see it now.... our next run at $700/share. Hopefully it won't drop back down too much.

post #15 of 36
Quote:

You mean, like they did in Poland?

post #16 of 36

Designed in USA

Made in America

Hell yes!!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Designed in USA

Made in America

Hell yes!!

I'm assuming that your post was meant as a joke, but I'll reply anyway.

Nope, it's made in Brazil, and it would be highly inaccurate and misleading to refer to it as made in America, as that term is widely accepted and known by intelligent people to mean the USA, you know, the country that actually has America as a part of it's name. 

Apple agrees with me too, because I'm pretty sure it's not going to say "Made in America" on the rumored iPad mini. It'll most likely say "Made in Brazil", if this product even exists.

Any country trying to steal and capitalize on the "American" tag are obviously low life, jealous countries looking to deceive, misrepresent and piggy-back on the good reputation that the American brand carries and USA products have.

post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

You mean, like they did in Poland?

Yeah, it's just like the holocaust, with millions slaughtered. What a great example. lol.gif

That could be the lying anti-Apple lunatics next campaign, your Apple products aren't just made by "slave labor", they're made in Nazi death camps! lol.gif

post #19 of 36

Isnt this supposed to be a new plant?  whats with the rust on the sign post?

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #20 of 36

Re: Designed in USA and Made in America..

well... at least I thought it  was funny.  

post #21 of 36
Quote:

It's an iWire

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

If the climate there is anything like we get in Georgia, USA....if it doesn't rust it grows mold and mildew.
post #23 of 36
Quote:

That could be the lying anti-Apple lunatics next campaign, your Apple products aren't just made by "slave labor", they're made in Nazi death camps! lol.gif

Oh no...

What have I done?

(Maybe Samsung will pay me? Wait...they don't pay people for their ideas...)

post #24 of 36
Quote:

I have deployed razor wire?  We in the Army call it Concertina wire.  And yes it does matter.  You would know if you had to kill people coming over a fence you were told to build.  Especially one to keep rag heads from getting in and wreaking havoc.  So you keep your opinion and I will keep mine.  Mine will be based on real life experience.  Yours is based on simple logic without real life experience.  We both win in this one Bigdaddy Gumby.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Obviously, they are keeping people out. Not preventing people from leaving.

Thanks for the drive-by trolling.

Trolling, huh? You seem to be wound pretty tightly. My actual first thought was "why did they use a stock photo of an old plant?" I added the hyperbole in order to reply to another, more-obviously hyperbolic comment. Didn't know I wasn't allowed.
post #26 of 36
Quote:

If the climate there is anything like we get in Georgia, USA....if it doesn't rust it grows mold and mildew.

note to self.. avoid buying used cars from Georgia.

post #27 of 36
Quote:

I have deployed razor wire?  We in the Army call it Concertina wire.  And yes it does matter.  You would know if you had to kill people coming over a fence you were told to build.  Especially one to keep rag heads from getting in and wreaking havoc.  So you keep your opinion and I will keep mine.  Mine will be based on real life experience.  Yours is based on simple logic without real life experience.  We both win in this one Bigdaddy Gumby.

Kudos for what you endured in the mid-east. 

During WWII the American military had a problem in the Pacific islands with the natives pilfering from the supply dumps, so they ordered it fenced in with barbed wire. When the craft arrived with the rolls of barbed wire the natives helped unload it and transported it to the supply dump by kicking the rolls along the beach with their bare feet. I never heard if the military ever built that fence after that.

post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
The latest report continues a flurry of iPad mini related news that has surfaced on Monday.
I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't coming from Apple this time, just to get people talking about something else besides Maps, and the iPhone 5 problems. ;-)

I'm sure the announcement can't come too soon for them ...
post #29 of 36
Quote:

Nope, it's made in Brazil, and it would be highly inaccurate and misleading to refer to it as made in America, as that term is widely accepted and known by intelligent people to mean the USA, you know, the country that actually has America as a part of it's name. 

Apple agrees with me too, because I'm pretty sure it's not going to say "Made in America" on the rumored iPad mini. It'll most likely say "Made in Brazil", if this product even exists.

Any country trying to steal and capitalize on the "American" tag are obviously low life, jealous countries looking to deceive, misrepresent and piggy-back on the good reputation that the American brand carries and USA products have.

I'll respond to you before someone else does. Being in the USA makes us think America-centric. However, Canadians, Mexico, and all of Central and South America think of themselves as Americans; and rightly so. In the same vein as the French think of themselves as Europeans and all of Asia think of themselves as Asians. So, while you say "intelligent people" you mean, USA citizens who interchange the two terms as the same. Once you leave the USA  "intelligent people" see it differently. I have enough sense to tell a Brazilian I'm from the U.S. and not say "America." 

I'm sure Apple will label their product "Made in Brazil," just as they say "Made in China" now... not made in Asia. However to say, "Made in Asia" or "Made in America" are equally true in that they do not name a country, only a world area as far as the rest of the world is concerned. All that said, the term "Made in America" only applies to the USA when our flag symbol is added above the statement.

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

As Tarzan said to Jane after a rough day swinging from vines, "It's a jungle out there."

post #31 of 36
Quote:

I'll respond to you before someone else does. Being in the USA makes us think America-centric. However, Canadians, Mexico, and all of Central and South America think of themselves as Americans; and rightly so. In the same vein as the French think of themselves as Europeans and all of Asia think of themselves as Asians. So, while you say "intelligent people" you mean, USA citizens who interchange the two terms as the same. Once you leave the USA  "intelligent people" see it differently. I have enough sense to tell a Brazilian I'm from the U.S. and not say "America." 

Really? I'm pretty sure my Canadian teachers don't 'think of themselves' as Americans. Nor does a friend of mine from Brazil.

And while some French people think of themselves as Europeans, many don't. In the same vein as many people from Quebec don't see themselves as being Canadian.

There's a difference between 'thinking of themselves as [...]' and recognising that they are [...]. For example, I don't think of myself as being European. I'd never say 'Oh hi, I'm a European,' but I recognise the fact that I am technically a European.

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

You're right.  I can see windows in the pictures, and all the factories I've ever been around don't usaully have windows. The closest prison to me, on the other hand, does indeed have windows.  I would guess if I was paying workers, I would be paying them to work, not look out the windows.  Those getting-paid-to-look-out-the-window jobs are nice, but difficult to find.lol.gif

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #33 of 36
The snark on these forums are really high lately...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #34 of 36
Quote:

Shut it, your attempt at correcting isn't going to solve anything. Just sayin

post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Really? I'm pretty sure my Canadian teachers don't 'think of themselves' as Americans. Nor does a friend of mine from Brazil.

And while some French people think of themselves as Europeans, many don't. In the same vein as many people from Quebec don't see themselves as being Canadian.

There's a difference between 'thinking of themselves as [...]' and recognising that they are [...]. For example, I don't think of myself as being European. I'd never say 'Oh hi, I'm a European,' but I recognise the fact that I am technically a European.

Do you feel better now that you made a point that nobody cares about? recognize a joke when you read it. Was it funny? no, but it was as good a joke as your ability to to be clever when it wasn't warranted.

post #36 of 36
So, while you say "intelligent people" you mean, USA citizens who interchange the two terms as the same.

It's our demonym and no one else's, so yeah, we can certainly use it in that manner. If citizens of the other countries in the Americas want to hold a plebiscite for US statehood, I, for one, welcome absolutely all of them that vote in the positive and respect the choices of those that vote in the negative.

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post
Shut it, your attempt at correcting isn't going to solve anything. Just sayin

His correction using objective fact isn't going to solve anything?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: 'iPad mini' production now underway in Brazil