or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray

post #1 of 98
Thread Starter 
A collection of photos claim to show a number of parts from Apple's anticipated smaller iPad, including the front and back panels with a space for a nano-SIM tray, as well as the LCD display.

iPad mini


The pictures, published on Monday by UkranianiPhone.com, suggest the headphone jack will remain on the top of the device like in the current full-size iPad, and will not be moved to the bottom as it was done with the iPhone 5. The bottom of the device is also shown to have a space for Apple's new, smaller Lightning connector.

The alleged iPad mini parts are particularly noteworthy because components from the rumored device have not surfaced frequently ahead of its anticipated debut. Instead, most images online have been of mockups that purport to show what the final design of the product will be.

iPad mini


The rear panel of the iPad mini also includes a nano-SIM tray, which would suggest that the device will come in a model capable of connecting to cellular data networks. Apple's full-size iPad has a 4G LTE model that carries a $130 premium, but the iPod touch does not have a cellular version.

The alleged iPad mini front panel shows the thin side bezel that was previously rumored, and also space for a home button and a forward-facing FaceTime camera. The front panel is white, suggesting the device will come in both black and white varieties.

iPad mini


Finally, another picture of the rear of the device is in black, with the Apple logo and simply the name "iPad" with no mention of rumored names "mini" or "Air." In the top left corner is a space for a rear-facing iSight camera.

iPad mini
post #2 of 98
Plastic. :-)
post #3 of 98

Is this the first non-mockup stuff we've seen?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #4 of 98
Black back? Carbon Fiber, maybe? Or like the iPhone 5? Really hard to tell by those pictures but the back doesn't look like it's been milled out of aluminum, like the iPhone parts. Just my opinion.

Original article also says "will be announced Oct 17 and released Nov 2."
post #5 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this the first non-mockup stuff we've seen?

 

It's the first I've seen

post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Plastic. :-)

If it's plastic, why do they need the cutout over the antenna?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #7 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


If it's plastic, why do they need the cutout over the antenna?

 

I dunno.  Looks like plastic to me and I don't see any cutout, but the pictures are a blurry mess for sure.  

 

To me it just looks almost identical to the colour, tone, reflectivity etc. (both inside and outside surfaces), of the 3G series of iPhones.  Doesn't look like aluminium but I guess it could be anodised aluminium. 

post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I dunno.  Looks like plastic to me and I don't see any cutout, but the pictures are a blurry mess for sure. 

 

If you look at the last picture (black back panel), along the top you can see that signature strip across the top for 3G/4G iPads.

post #9 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno.  Looks like plastic to me and I don't see any cutout, but the pictures are a blurry mess for sure.  

To me it just looks almost identical to the colour, tone, reflectivity etc. (both inside and outside surfaces), of the 3G series of iPhones.  Doesn't look like aluminium but I guess it could be anodised aluminium. 

I would have guessed anodized aluminum. Look at the flat surface inside the back. Plastic would probably be shinier. Plus, they've switched to anodized aluminum for the iPhone 5. Add in the antenna slot and it looks pretty clear (if it's real).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #10 of 98

If it turns out to be anodized black aluminum like the iPhone, can you imagine the comments that will be posted here?? LMAO!

post #11 of 98
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
If it turns out to be anodized black aluminum like the iPhone, can you imagine the comments that will be posted here?? LMAO!

 

"Looks great!"

 

"Aluminum was the right choice. Plastic is too cheap a feel and look."

 

"Should've gone with solid orange like that mold."

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #12 of 98
Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.
post #13 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno.  Looks like plastic to me and I don't see any cutout, but the pictures are a blurry mess for sure.  

To me it just looks almost identical to the colour, tone, reflectivity etc. (both inside and outside surfaces), of the 3G series of iPhones.  Doesn't look like aluminium but I guess it could be anodised aluminium. 

I would have guessed anodized aluminum. Look at the flat surface inside the back. Plastic would probably be shinier. Plus, they've switched to anodized aluminum for the iPhone 5. Add in the antenna slot and it looks pretty clear (if it's real).

Looks like stamped aluminum back with separate chassis reinforcement and pressed in mounting points. Definitely not milled.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Looks great!"

 

"Aluminum was the right choice. Plastic is too cheap a feel and look."

 

"Should've gone with solid orange like that mold."

 

I was thinking more along the lines of:

 

"Apple is DOOMED"

 

"Scuffgate 2.0"

 

"Should have been carbon fiber/plastic/whatever"

 

These aren't my opinions, my iPhone 5 is the most beautiful iPhone I've owned.  Black and Slate is awesome

post #15 of 98

Ok, flame suit is on:

 

Please allow the LTE version to be able to make calls like a phone (not Skype, etc). Make it a true and the best "Phablet".
 

post #16 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.
I don't think so... The iPad will be more reburst... more capable and let's not forget the retina display.. In other words the ipad mini is not the iPad competition.
post #17 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.

 

Not likely.

 

Although, since I'm familiar with your posting history, I'll just assume you were being disingenuous, planning to follow it up later with some smug comments regarding small Android tablets and how Apple is copying them. Save your breath. No one is interested in your nonsense.

post #18 of 98
Shit looks real. October 17th event, with invites going out on the 10th.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 98
Don't buy it. The bezel just can't be that slim on the sides .... To fit the full thumb in portrait mode to hold it securely with one hand, it needs to be as wide as the iPad. I feel like this is somebody's efforts to design a mock-up based on the rumored screen-size using the iPhone as a template.
post #20 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

If it turns out to be anodized black aluminum like the iPhone, can you imagine the comments that will be posted here?? LMAO!


Without a sharp edge like the iPhone, you won't see as many noticeable dings like we are seeing on the phone. And frankly, the complaints about the phone show a lack of understanding.

post #21 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I would have guessed anodized aluminum. Look at the flat surface inside the back. Plastic would probably be shinier. Plus, they've switched to anodized aluminum for the iPhone 5. Add in the antenna slot and it looks pretty clear (if it's real).


Why do you think there are so many cutouts? I don't have my iPad in front of me, but I don't remember so many cutouts.

post #22 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


Without a sharp edge like the iPhone, you won't see as many noticeable dings like we are seeing on the phone.

Thanks for the heads up as I was thinking of upgrading in spite of its length.
post #23 of 98
I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?
post #24 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

 

 

Apple really has some nerve not getting your approval before designing such a product.  Since you don't need it, I guess nobody else will, either.

post #25 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

 

If you look at the last picture (black back panel), along the top you can see that signature strip across the top for 3G/4G iPads.

 

Agreed.  I couldn't see it at first, but if you push the gamma on the back shot you can see that there is a strip.  

 

Oh well, I'd prefer plastic but it seems Apple is really set on using aluminium for everything nowadays (even when it's a bad fit design-wise). All those eco-idiots pressuring them for "recycle-ability" no doubt.  I wouldn't buy the black one anyway so it won't be too ugly if it turns out to be aluminium.  

post #26 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.

 

While I disagree with the premise, I agree with the concept: In order to be successful, Apple has kill off it's own products with better products.  Better apple kill the iPad, than Asus.

 

Did the Shuffle kill the original iPod?  No, it was the iPhone that killed the iPod (and all portable music Players... the iPod is still the number 1 brand in the mp3 market market).

 

Is it better that the MacBook Air kill off the 17" MacBook Pro?

 

In the end, having the 'skill' to kill off a product with a better product is what we expect Apple to do.

 

As opposed to say, HPQ/Palm, or RIMM, which can kill off a product with no product at all;-)  Or Microsoft, which must be pro-Life, because it can't kill any of it's products (IE6, WinXP).  Well Zune and Danger, but there I think they have morphed into HW, and are acting more like HPQ or RIMM;-)

post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

 

You don't  now, but StockHolders do.

 

Learn this phrase: pricing umbrella.

post #28 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


Agreed.  I couldn't see it at first, but if you push the gamma on the back shot you can see that there is a strip.  

Oh well, I'd prefer plastic but it seems Apple is really set on using aluminium for everything nowadays (even when it's a bad fit design-wise). All those eco-idiots pressuring them for "recycle-ability" no doubt.  I wouldn't buy the black one anyway so it won't be too ugly if it turns out to be aluminium.  

Lately I rarely see iPads in the wild without a full case or leather portfolio of some sort so most people will probably never see the back anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #29 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

While I disagree with the premise, I agree with the concept: In order to be successful, Apple has kill off it's own products with better products.  Better apple kill the iPad, than Asus.

 

 

 

I don't see how this will kill the iPad.  Granted, it will cannibalize sales to some degree, and it will also steal quite a few sales from the iPod Touch.  But I think the iPad Mini/whatever will be a nice step between the iPod Touch and the full size iPad.  My .02.

 

Of course, my opinion is based on assumed pricing at this point.

post #30 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


If it's plastic, why do they need the cutout over the antenna?

 

 

Not sure what it is, but are you sure that is cut out? Looks like tape to me. Could be anything. Wouldn't surprise me if Apple saved money to bring the cost down and used something cheaper then aluminum. We heard rumors lately of Apple buying carbon fiber. In bikes the carbon fiber costs more though then aluminum. 

post #31 of 98

The nano-SIM tray should be handy for the occasional cellular user. Just temporary use a card from an iPhone.

Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #32 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post


Lately I rarely see iPads in the wild without a full case or leather portfolio of some sort so most people will probably never see the back anyway.

 

I am (among other things), and "anti-case-ite" as well though.   :-)

 

I can't imagine why anyone would use a case for an iPhone or iPad or identify any reason why this would actually be a good thing to do, but clearly I am in the minority with that view. 

post #33 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

You're not supposed to own every single model of every single product released by Apple. I have an iPod nano, but it would be pointless for me to have an iPod Touch since I have an iPhone which is pretty much the same. Same thing for the Macs, you don't need to have a MacBok Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro. Currently I have an iPad 3G 64GB LTE, but I find it to be quite heavy (just like the iPad 2 I had before), so I may just buy the cheapest version of this one too, but for reading and development.

What I don't get though is the need to have a Lightning connector and a NanoSIM in there. It's not like the iPad is space-constrained...
post #34 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

 

It's fairly obvious.  You would use it to replace your Kindle (assuming you prefer Apple products to Amazon's junk).  The reason it's "event worthy" is similarly obvious (and related).  This would be a competing product to the second most popular tablet sold today (the kindle) by the company making the most popular tablet product (the iPad). 

 

I know you are a noted troll, but you could troll a little better than this can't you?  

post #35 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I am (among other things), and "anti-case-ite" as well though.   :-)

 

I can't imagine why anyone would use a case for an iPhone or iPad or identify any reason why this would actually be a good thing to do, but clearly I am in the minority with that view. 

I always had a case for my iPads because I carried them in a brief case occasionally and I didn't want it to get scratched or accidentally turn on but I like the iPhone without a case so it slides into my pocket easily. I think most women use a case for their phone because they don't want it to get scratched with car keys etc. in their purse. Some people know they are perhaps a little clumsy and expect to be dropping it from time to time, hence a case makes sense for them.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #36 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I always had a case for my iPads because I carried them in a brief case occasionally and I didn't want it to get scratched or accidentally turn on but I like the iPhone without a case so it slides into my pocket easily. I think most women use a case for their phone because they don't want it to get scratched with car keys etc. in their purse. Some people know they are perhaps a little clumsy and expect to be dropping it from time to time, hence a case makes sense for them.

 

Yeah, well I sometimes state things in absolutes and don't put "IMO" on them (because I think it's obvious that it's just my opinion), but I'm not against anyone else using a case or intending to ridicule anyone using a case.  I also have a dedicated iPad bag, so it's almost the same thing as a case in that sense.  I just use it "naked" once it's out of my bag. 

post #37 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

 

I guess Apple is fucked, since their target audience for this are specifically people who own 2 iPads and an e-reader. 

 

Seriously, what's wrong with you? Why would anyone explain why YOU need this? Are you that incapable of looking beyond your very specific situation to determine is something should exist or not? This may be Apple's best selling product yet, why would it NOT be event worthy? Because you might not buy one? Do you not have the slight bit of imagination required to think of why many WOULD love a smaller, cheaper iPad? Amazing lack of logic you exhibit, but I guess that level of cognitive dissonance and intellectual dishonesty is what's required to incessantly troll. 

 

I remember comment sections were filled with this crap when the iPad was first revealed, whining about how they have netbooks/smartphones/laptops and how a tablet has no reason to exist and has no place in their lives. Well, Apple ignored that shit, and the rest is history. 


Edited by Slurpy - 10/2/12 at 11:33am
post #38 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Ok, flame suit is on:

 

Please allow the LTE version to be able to make calls like a phone (not Skype, etc). Make it a true and the best "Phablet".
 

well that might be cool... you know you could sign up for Google Voice and use something like Talkatone, and you'd have virtually a full phone to use the data line, a phone number and everything.

post #39 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I am (among other things), and "anti-case-ite" as well though.   :-)

I can't imagine why anyone would use a case for an iPhone or iPad or identify any reason why this would actually be a good thing to do, but clearly I am in the minority with that view.

I don't use a case on my iPhone either, though iPad cases offer undeniable functionality improvements. At home, my iPad has a permanent resting place on its dock, just like my iPhone, but away from home I refuse to sit the aluminum back on anything as it can be easily scratched, plus there's the convenience of folding the cover of the Smart Case to tilt the iPad.
post #40 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's fairly obvious.  You would use it to replace your Kindle (assuming you prefer Apple products to Amazon's junk).  The reason it's "event worthy" is similarly obvious (and related).  This would be a competing product to the second most popular tablet sold today (the kindle) by the company making the most popular tablet product (the iPad). 

I know you are a noted troll, but you could troll a little better than this can't you?  

Exactly how would it replace an E-Inked Kindle and let me read in direct sunlight with a month's full charge? You never answered my "troll" question properly as usual.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray