or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray - Page 2

post #41 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

 This may be Apple's best selling product yet, why would it NOT be event worthy?

It pains me to emphasize this point as I despise feeding the trolls, but unless the iPad Mini has something very unique about it, this product launch may be one of the more uneventful ones.  I am NOT saying that it won't be the best selling product, but do anticipate a less-than-dramatic debut.  Will large groups of society jump at the chance to purchase on day 1?  Absolutely!... but it will take time for the masses to warm up to this mid-sized touch appliance.  I'm hoping I'm wrong and Apple shatters all sales records from day 1 and hope that the halo/umbrella effect is stronger than cannibalization, but something tells me to temper enthusiasm during this roll out.

 

FWIW, I always enjoy Slurpy's direct, logical & violently humorous points.

post #42 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

All those eco-idiots pressuring them for "recycle-ability" no doubt.  

Plastic is perfectly recyclable.

post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

It pains me to emphasize this point as I despise feeding the trolls, but unless the iPad Mini has something very unique about it, this product launch may be one of the more uneventful ones.  I am NOT saying that it won't be the best selling product, but do anticipate a less-than-dramatic debut.  Will large groups of society jump at the chance to purchase on day 1?  Absolutely!... but it will take time for the masses to warm up to this mid-sized touch appliance.  I'm hoping I'm wrong and Apple shatters all sales records from day 1 and hope that the halo/umbrella effect is stronger than cannibalization, but something tells me to temper enthusiasm during this roll out.

 

FWIW, I always enjoy Slurpy's direct, logical & violently humorous points.

 

I'm glad that someone appreciates it ;) Some of my posts might come off as aggressive, but it's because I strongly believe in perspective, knowledge, logic and honesty, and can't help but calling out those who exhibit neither. 

post #44 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Yeah, well I sometimes state things in absolutes and don't put "IMO" on them (because I think it's obvious that it's just my opinion), but I'm not against anyone else using a case or intending to ridicule anyone using a case.  I also have a dedicated iPad bag, so it's almost the same thing as a case in that sense.  I just use it "naked" once it's out of my bag. 

 

Same.  No case on my iPhone, and I use my iPad out of its case.  I like to handle my product(s) naked.

 

(wink)

post #45 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I guess Apple is fucked, since their target audience for this are specifically people who own 2 iPads and an e-reader. 

I remember comment sections were filled with this crap when the iPad was first revealed, whining about how they have netbooks/smartphones/laptops and how a tablet has no reason to exist and has no place in their lives. Well, Apple ignored that shit, and the rest is history. 

Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?
An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?
Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.
post #46 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

It pains me to emphasize this point as I despise feeding the trolls, but unless the iPad Mini has something very unique about it, this product launch may be one of the more uneventful ones.  I am NOT saying that it won't be the best selling product, but do anticipate a less-than-dramatic debut.  Will large groups of society jump at the chance to purchase on day 1?  Absolutely!... but it will take time for the masses to warm up to this mid-sized touch appliance.  I'm hoping I'm wrong and Apple shatters all sales records from day 1 and hope that the halo/umbrella effect is stronger than cannibalization, but something tells me to temper enthusiasm during this roll out.

 

FWIW, I always enjoy Slurpy's direct, logical & violently humorous points.

 

I would agree with you completely (and I do, mostly) except that it is being released so close to the holidays.  If this were July, it would be one thing. But releasing it in November-ish means a lot of good little boys and girls are getting something extra special this year from Santa.

 

Not that I'm an expert on marketing, nor am I in a position to tell Apple how to market their products - but a great tie in would be the iPad Mini and Apple TV for gaming.  I'm drooling just thinking about it.

post #47 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

Can someone please explain why iSheldon needs 2 iPads?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #48 of 98
Quote:

Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?
An event was called to introduce the iPad- remember. Don't you retain?
Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

What is your problem? If Apple wants to have an event, they'll have an event. You are not invited and it doesn't cost you anything. Since you have already stated you don't understand why they might want an event and that you have no need for the product either, why is it so damn important that you want someone to explain it for you?

 

Nevertheless I'll try. See there is this seasonal event every year they call Christmas where people tend to buy lots to expensive gifts for one another and the iPad mini fits right into that category, which is why they are releasing it now and why they want the press to take note, so they can sell truck loads of them to everyone who likes the idea of a mini iPad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #49 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?
An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?
Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

There was an event for the iPad 2. And the iPad 3. I'm confused by your logic.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #50 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Exactly how would it replace an E-Inked Kindle and let me read in direct sunlight with a month's full charge? You never answered my "troll" question properly as usual.

 

I have no idea what you're talking about here. 

post #51 of 98
My first thought when looking at a metal frame that is not the chassis was "iBook". Not that there is any correlation between the previous product and that design standard but I wonder if iBook might be a better name than iPad mini.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #52 of 98

Can anyone explain to me why I NEED a car? I already have a horse and carriage.

post #53 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about here. 

Obviously. So when you can't answer something you know nothing about your reflex is to call someone a troll.
Rich.
post #54 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Can anyone explain to me why I NEED a car? I already have a horse and carriage.

Is the iPad the horse or the carriage?
post #55 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My first thought when looking at a metal frame that is not the chassis was "iBook". Not that there is any correlation between the previous product and that design standard but I wonder if iBook might be a better name than iPad mini.

It would be great to have that name back, and it would fit with this product. I'm sticking with my prediction that this will be at least partly marketed as an educational device for kids. I seem to remember that Eddy Cue even spun it that way in his email to Jobs (?).
post #56 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

 

They need to show off the revolutionary sandpaper that will be included with this product including a Jony Ive artsy-designer video, or explain why it doesn't include sandpaper.   /s

 

This is in a way one of the first (possible) products that goes against something Jobs publicly passionately didn't like. By bringing it to market, Tim is saying they're willing to go in new directions where they wouldn't before. (You could count the larger iPhone screen, but they addressed that by still saying it could be used with one hand, which is the same logic for the original screen size, this is a different form factor altogether).

 

Also, and heck, Apple is one of the best marketing companies out there, what could generate more buzz than an Apple event and a 'brand new Apple product'?

 

Throw in a remote chance for a One-More-Thing AppleTV, new Macs, etc

post #57 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My first thought when looking at a metal frame that is not the chassis was "iBook". Not that there is any correlation between the previous product and that design standard but I wonder if iBook might be a better name than iPad mini.

Well if this photo is real they already named it iPad

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

This is in a way one of the first (possible) products that goes against something Jobs publicly passionately didn't like. By bringing it to market, Tim is saying they're willing to go in new directions where they wouldn't before. (You could count the larger iPhone screen, but they addressed that by still saying it could be used with one hand, which is the same logic for the original screen size, this is a different form factor altogether).

Do you think they started the design from scratch and even manufacturing it all within a year? I think it probably took more like 2 years and Steve was most likely onboard with the idea.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #59 of 98
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post
Can anyone explain to me why I NEED a car? I already have a horse and carriage.

 

I fail to see how the iPad is in any way "outdated" or how a smaller iPad is a "buggy to car" level improvement on anything, much less it.


Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Do you think they started the design from scratch and even manufacturing it all within a year?

 

I think they could EASILY have built on one of their original iPad prototypes and finished it in under a year, yes, very much so. No Steve Required™.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I think they could EASILY have built on one of their original iPad prototypes and finished it in under a year, yes, very much so. No Steve Required™.

If they came out with it the day after his death you would say they EASILY could finish it in a day so long as Steve did not sign off on the project.

 

Steve never would have approved it™.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you think they started the design from scratch and even manufacturing it all within a year? I think it probably took more like 2 years and Steve was probably onboard with the idea.

 



For this product, they possibly could have done it within a year, especially if there was momentum within Apple and Jobs was the major no factor. Google said the Nexus 7 was conceived and put into the market in four months. Jobs could have also changed his mind, but at least he isn't the one releasing it. I would have loved to see him do it though, that would have been quite a show. We'd be all subject to the Reality Distortion Field despite knowing of its presence and be convinced Steve was right all along even though he seemingly changed his mind. I miss those Steve-notes

post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Can someone please explain why iSheldon needs 2 iPads?

One in the can, one by the bed. Obvious, innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Plastic is perfectly recyclable.

Looking at the picture I would say its plastic because there are embedded metal screw anchors. But I may be wrong, maybe these are required for an aluminum chassis as well?

post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

 


For this product, they possibly could have done it within a year, especially if there was momentum within Apple and Jobs was the major no factor. 

Yeah like everyone at Apple was saying "Oh, we're so sad about Steve's passing, now where were those iPad mini drawings?"

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah like everyone at Apple was saying "Oh, we're so sad about Steve's passing, now where were those iPad mini drawings?"

 

You could be sad that he's gone and still think he was wrong about something. But like I said, even without momentum, it's certainly possible.

post #65 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Looks great!"

 

"Aluminum was the right choice. Plastic is too cheap a feel and look."

 

"Should've gone with solid orange like that mold."

They're saving orange for the much anticipated Nerf iPad ;)

post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Looking at the picture I would say its plastic because there are embedded metal screw anchors. But I may be wrong, maybe these are required for an aluminum chassis as well?

It appears that the internal chassis is sheet metal and the the pressed in anchors provide a more secure fastening for the components. I was speculating that the back case is sheet metal as well, however I'm curious why they would go to the effort of the black surface treatment on the inside. One reason I don't think it is plastic is if you notice the corners, the thickness of the outer shell is quite thin. One reason they round the corners is to relieve stress if the device is dropped on the corner. There is a space behind the corner which could lead one to believe that unreinforced plastic this thin would easily crack. So I'm still going with stamped sheet aluminum for the outer case.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #67 of 98
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
If they came out with it the day after his death you would say they EASILY could finish it in a day so long as Steve did not sign off on the project.

 

Yes, I would obviously say that. Not only because it makes sense and is realistic or intelligent to say, but because it sounds like something I would say and not just the delusions of a mind with a vendetta.

 

When you already have prototypes and have already done work in something whose predecessor was publicly admitted to have taken barely over a year to finish, I would imagine you can build a working version in a year.


Take the iPhone. Obviously they're working two to three models ahead, but by the time a model is released, they already have prototypes and work done into next year's model. They finish development, not start it, within the next 365 days before its launch. And the same could easily happen here. 

 

Or maybe that's just "another" lie.


Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post
They're saving orange for the much anticipated Nerf iPad ;)

 

People would STILL manage to mistreat it enough to crack the screen.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Finally a mini iPad. the mini iPad is going to kill the iPad.

LIke the Mac Mini killed the Mac you mean?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #69 of 98
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
LIke the Mac Mini killed the Mac you mean?

 

Now you'll get some responses from the people that don't believe that Apple sells a desktop Mac at all, so the Mac Mini couldn't supplant it.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #70 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah like everyone at Apple was saying "Oh, we're so sad about Steve's passing, now where were those iPad mini drawings?"

 

I'm not laughing at the situation, but this made me chuckle.

post #71 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?
An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?
Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.


Yes there was. Well, to be precise, it was introduced at MacWorld. But back then, Apple used MacWorld to introduce many products. In recent years, Apple relies on special events and WWDC to make new product announcements.

post #72 of 98

The argument of whether Steve approved the iPad mini or not can really only exist in a vacuum.  It's fun to speculate now, but once this product is released and sells millions, it doesn't matter if he approved it or if it's 100% Tim's baby.  The proof is in the sales, innit?

post #73 of 98
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
…once this product is released and sells millions, it doesn't matter if he approved it or if it's 100% Tim's baby.  The proof is in the sales, innit?

 

I'd prefer something be the best and sell comparatively poorly than to sell well for other reasons.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #74 of 98

Is this Tim Cook doubling down on security?

post #75 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

 

While I disagree with the premise, I agree with the concept: In order to be successful, Apple has kill off it's own products with better products.  Better apple kill the iPad, than Asus.

 

Did the Shuffle kill the original iPod?  No, it was the iPhone that killed the iPod (and all portable music Players... the iPod is still the number 1 brand in the mp3 market market).

 

Is it better that the MacBook Air kill off the 17" MacBook Pro?

 

In the end, having the 'skill' to kill off a product with a better product is what we expect Apple to do.

 

As opposed to say, HPQ/Palm, or RIMM, which can kill off a product with no product at all;-)  Or Microsoft, which must be pro-Life, because it can't kill any of it's products (IE6, WinXP).  Well Zune and Danger, but there I think they have morphed into HW, and are acting more like HPQ or RIMM;-)


 The 17" MacBook Pro as far as I know hasn't been killed off. It's temporary on hold otherwise you would have heard from Apple discontinuing it. As for the iPad Mini I think there will be one.

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
Reply
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
Reply
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It appears that the internal chassis is sheet metal and the the pressed in anchors provide a more secure fastening for the components. I was speculating that the back case is sheet metal as well, however I'm curious why they would go to the effort of the black surface treatment on the inside. One reason I don't think it is plastic is if you notice the corners, the thickness of the outer shell is quite thin. One reason they round the corners is to relieve stress if the device is dropped on the corner. There is a space behind the corner which could lead one to believe that unreinforced plastic this thin would easily crack. So I'm still going with stamped sheet aluminum for the outer case.

Yes, I think you are right. The other give away are the folded in flaps (horizontal edge from the outside and in towards the centre, which would not be there in a plastic or aluminum design.

post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Obviously. So when you can't answer something you know nothing about your reflex is to call someone a troll.
Rich.

You are either the stupidest person on earth or a troll just screwing around with people.  Hmmm... I wonder which?  

 

For the record, what I didn't understand, is your crazy response to my crystal clear post about why you were wrong in your first post.  I understood your first post all too well.  You regularly mix things up this way.  Here you take my second reply and apply it to your first statement, and manage to reach the nonsensical conclusion that you've somehow "won" the argument.  

 

You seriously just don't seem smart enough to get what I'm saying so I am going to just stop talking to you.  mkay? 

post #78 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Can someone please explain why iSheldon needs 2 iPads?

 

The Sheldon character on "Big Bang Theory" is first and foremost, written as a juvenile.  He is a little boy who is trapped in a grown-up world that he doesn't really understand.  

 

I think that fact is the secret key to understanding what kind of a person "iSheldon" is.  ;)

post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You are either the stupidest person on earth or a troll just screwing around with people.  Hmmm... I wonder which?  

For the record, what I didn't understand, is your crazy response to my crystal clear post about why you were wrong in your first post.  I understood your first post all too well.  You regularly mix things up this way.  Here you take my second reply and apply it to your first statement, and manage to reach the nonsensical conclusion that you've somehow "won" the argument.  

You seriously just don't seem smart enough to get what I'm saying so I am going to just stop talking to you.  mkay? 

Get it right- You mean "nkay?"
Pleez
Por favor
Or whatever else it takes.
post #80 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?
An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?
Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

 

Apple could hold an "informal" event for the iPad mini and could possibly even announce a minor iPad upgrade with Lightning. Some new educational offerings as well?

 

Truth be told, however, iPad is getting mature enough that minor speed and feature bumps could be folded into the Apple store, much like mid-series bumps in the MacBook Pro line no longer deserve or require press events.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray