or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray - Page 3

post #81 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, I think you are right. The other give away are the folded in flaps (horizontal edge from the outside and in towards the centre, which would not be there in a plastic or aluminum design.

From these pictures it is looking like this device will be entry level and inexpensive. No unibody, no noise canceling microphone, lower resolution screen, plastic bezels, etc. I was hoping for a iPad mini of equal build characteristics to the current model, just smaller, but I sort of suspected that was not going to be the target audience. At least it has cellular. I'll probably still get one but I'm not as excited about it as I would have been had it been top notch materials and features.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From these pictures it is looking like this device will be entry level and inexpensive. No unibody, no noise canceling microphone, lower resolution screen, plastic bezels, etc. I was hoping for a iPad mini of equal build characteristics to the current model, just smaller, but I sort of suspected that was not going to be the target audience. At least it has cellular. I'll probably still get one but I'm not as excited about it as I would have been had it been top notch materials and features.
How can you tell all that from these pictures? Outside of accessories what products does Apple make out of plastic? Unless they really are targeting this to kids I have no reason to believe it will be plastic.
post #83 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Can anyone explain to me why I NEED a car? I already have a horse and carriage.

 

Why should they come out with a new compact car?  I already have a mid-size sedan.

post #84 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

 



For this product, they possibly could have done it within a year, especially if there was momentum within Apple and Jobs was the major no factor. Google said the Nexus 7 was conceived and put into the market in four months. Jobs could have also changed his mind, but at least he isn't the one releasing it. I would have loved to see him do it though, that would have been quite a show. We'd be all subject to the Reality Distortion Field despite knowing of its presence and be convinced Steve was right all along even though he seemingly changed his mind. I miss those Steve-notes

 

Steve would always speak from the perspective of the way things are at a given period of time, and what was ready for release.  If he couldn't build a product that was great at that given time, he wouldn't release it.  When the time came that he could make a great product, he would.  Two years ago, the 7" tablets that were on the market weren't much good just like before the iPad, the tablets on the market weren't good.  Times and capabilities change.

 

Some things Steve said at one time that Apple had no plans to produce:

  • Cell Phones
  • Movies on iPods
  • Tablets

 

 

From 2003:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Steve_Jobs_No_Tablet_No_PDA_No_Cell_Phone_Lots_Of_iPods

 

M [Walt Mossberg]: A lot of people think given the success youive had with portable devices, you should be making a tablet or a PDA.
J [Steve Jobs]: There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, "People couldnit type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think itis going to fail." Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already. "And people accuse us of niche markets." I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out . We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didnit think weid do well in the cell phone business. What weive done instead is weive written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices. We believe that mode is what cell phones need to get to. We chose to do the iPod instead of a PDA.

 

M: Do you have plans for movies on the iPod?
J: Iim not convinced people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen. To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "Itis the music, stupid, itis the music!" Musicis been around for a long time, will continue to be, itis huge. Not speculative, a real tangible market.

post #85 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 a great tie in would be the iPad Mini and Apple TV for gaming.  I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Hmmm...that is appealing.  And while I know many have discussed the value of using an iOS mobile device as a controller/remote/application host/etc for ATV, I've forgotten that it could very well be that "unique" feature of an iPad Mini.  The iPad is a little too large to use as a controller/remote.  But the size of a 7.85" device may be just right!

post #86 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From these pictures it is looking like this device will be entry level and inexpensive. No unibody, no noise canceling microphone, lower resolution screen, plastic bezels, etc. I was hoping for a iPad mini of equal build characteristics to the current model, just smaller, but I sort of suspected that was not going to be the target audience. At least it has cellular. I'll probably still get one but I'm not as excited about it as I would have been had it been top notch materials and features.

      Yes, a lower resolution screen than iPad 3 but still higher PPI than iPad 2! So, I guess the iPad 2 is crap now......

 

     I'm still ordering 2 unless there is a glaring shortcoming that becomes apparent after launch.

post #87 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


Can someone please explain why iSheldon needs 2 iPads?

One is for use in portrait orientation; the other, landscape.

 

Cheers

post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Is this Tim Cook doubling down on security?

I don't get why people keep saying this as if security is somehow weaker as they grow faster than ever. Do you have any proof that they haven't tried to increase security? Do you not realize how many vendors are involved with the production of a single product and how many hands it all passes through. You only need one component to leak for it spread faster than the Herp as a 70's key party.

And let's examine the actual statement. Besides it being a common phrase not to be taken literally let's go ahead and do so. Let's say they doubled the investment they put toward security. People seem to think that means there will never, ever, ever be any leaks — which is absurd — but does that doubling of an investment equate to doubling the effectiveness? Of course not. If you cram for a test for 20 hours before instead of 10 hours before do you really think that doubling down is going to give you double the score you would have otherwise? Effort does not have a 1:1 ratio for success.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't get why people keep saying this as if security is somehow weaker as they grow faster than ever. Do you have any proof that they haven't tried to increase security? Do you not realize how many vendors are involved with the production of a single product and how many hands it all passes through. You only need one component to leak for it spread faster than the Herp as a 70's key party.
And let's examine the actual statement. Besides it being a common phrase not to be taken literally let's go ahead and do so. Let's say they doubled the investment they put toward security. People seem to think that means there will never, ever, ever be any leaks — which is absurd — but does that doubling of an investment equate to doubling the effectiveness? Of course not. If you cram for a test for 20 hours before instead of 10 hours before do you really think that doubling down is going to give you double the score you would have otherwise? Effort does not have a 1:1 ratio for success.


Agreed, and they are at the point where they are literally producing millions in order to have on hand for a launch later this month.  The secrecy thus far has been pretty good, considering that just a week or so ago, people have remarked that the smaller iPad may not even exist due to a lack of leaked parts.  Also, there have been no leaked working units of either this iPad or the iPhone 5 to my knowledge, which cannot be said about previous versions of the iPhone.

post #90 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Use some logic and your brain- the iPad already exists. The iPhone 5 has been released. What in any event will this show that's different from what already exists?
An event was called to introduce the iPad- because it never existed before remember? Don't you retain?
Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

 

That insanely shitty iPod mini analogy just goes to show how desperate you are to 'score a point', and how ludicrously inane your argument actually is. There's thousands of variables that make that situation utterly incomparable, as well as the dynamics at play. Apple sees the iPad as the future of computing for the vast majority of people. How is holding an event announcing that this line will be now split in 2, with a smaller and cheaper version that may increase sales exponentially and solidify Apple as untouchable in the tablet market NOT be a reasonable thing to do?

 

But yes, because it has a 'mini' at the end of the name, you just make a kneejerk analogy about Apple not holding a separate event for another mp3 player more than a decade ago, pretending that this is somehow related, or relevant in any way. Apple wants the iPad to be THE device for general computing. Anyone who buys it will also be introduced to Apple's entire ecosystem, including iCloud, Appstore, iTunes, etc- and has a good chance of making them customers for life. They currently only have one size with 1 set of capability, Networking and storage aside. Introducing a distinct, 2nd model is huge- and warrants more than a damn website update. It's arguably their most important product. By far. 

 

No doubt you will respond to this with some sarcastic bullshit, and make some more inane analogies without using common sense to actually asess the current marketplace realities on the ground today. 

post #91 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That insanely shitty iPod mini analogy just goes to show how desperate you are to 'score a point', and how ludicrously inane your argument actually is. There's thousands of variables that make that situation utterly incomparable, as well as the dynamics at play. Apple sees the iPad as the future of computing for the vast majority of people. How is holding an event announcing that this line will be now split in 2, with a smaller and cheaper version that may increase sales exponentially and solidify Apple as untouchable in the tablet market NOT be a reasonable thing to do?

Why- because it already exists. It's called the iPod Touch. Sure it's slightly larger but this is a lame, cynical attempt to compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus7 in time for Holiday sales. It's utterly laughable. It's not innovative, it's copying. For years iFans have slammed and dismissed this size but now you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Deplorable.
An iMac event would have been better - powerhouse computing anyday over an iToy.
And looong overdue.
And how do you know what Apple sees and knows? That's beyond idiotic.
post #92 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I already own 2 iPads and an E-Ink Kindle.
Can someone please explain why I'd need this? Or why this is Event worthy?

 

You don't need this.  An iPad is not an actual need, no matter the size.  However, many people may want them (yourself excluded of course).  Feel free to ignore all of the hoopla surrounding this, but please don't stir the pot with comments slamming it.  I too have no need for this product, but I must admit I am curious as to the specs, features and price and how they will compare to products currently in the market, especially the Nexus 7.  By the way, why do you have 2 iPads?  

post #93 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Was an event ever called for the iPod mini? NO.

They did have an event to showcase the iPod mini, and it was the most spectacular product of the day. The iPad mini might be the same thing but it won't be the only product they talk about which makes any lame duck argument you might try to finagle as you backtrack to a new argument.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #94 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

 

They need to show off the revolutionary sandpaper that will be included with this product including a Jony Ive artsy-designer video, or explain why it doesn't include sandpaper.   /s

 

This is in a way one of the first (possible) products that goes against something Jobs publicly passionately didn't like. By bringing it to market, Tim is saying they're willing to go in new directions where they wouldn't before. (You could count the larger iPhone screen, but they addressed that by still saying it could be used with one hand, which is the same logic for the original screen size, this is a different form factor altogether).

 

Also, and heck, Apple is one of the best marketing companies out there, what could generate more buzz than an Apple event and a 'brand new Apple product'?

 

Throw in a remote chance for a One-More-Thing AppleTV, new Macs, etc

 

I believe Jobs was actually receptive to the 7" screen size in his biography, but that it would not provide the "full experience" to the user (I forget the context, but I do remember reading something not totally negative regarding the size).  The more I think about it, I believe they are just branching out the iPad line much like they did with the iPod line after the original had become established.  Jobs was a great salesman and marketer, but I don't think he was as narrow minded as he was portrayed in the media.  He was just defending his new product and trying to get customers to see his point of view, like a good salesman would.  I believe that if this device does indeed come to market, that it must been on the table prior to Job's death, and that Tim was just following through, but I have no evidence to neither support nor refute this theory.

post #95 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Why- because it already exists. It's called the iPod Touch. Sure it's slightly larger but this is a lame, cynical attempt to compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus7 in time for Holiday sales. It's utterly laughable. It's not innovative, it's copying. For years iFans have slammed and dismissed this size but now you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Deplorable.
An iMac event would have been better - powerhouse computing anyday over an iToy.
And looong overdue.
And how do you know what Apple sees and knows? That's beyond idiotic.

Well you have basically two weeks to make your case and if the iPad mini is then revealed I hope you will disappear.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #96 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post


Why- because it already exists. It's called the iPod Touch. Sure it's slightly larger but this is a lame, cynical attempt to compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus7 in time for Holiday sales. It's utterly laughable. It's not innovative, it's copying. For years iFans have slammed and dismissed this size but now you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Deplorable.
An iMac event would have been better - powerhouse computing anyday over an iToy.
And looong overdue.
And how do you know what Apple sees and knows? That's beyond idiotic.

 

You're fucking insane. I'm sorry, there's no other way to put it. An iMac event? You're serious? You honestly believe Apple would make an event exclusively for an updated iMac? When was the last time they did that? And what on earth would make you think they'd be inclined to do so now? You'd have to be utterly disconnected from relaity, and really be completely obtuse, to think that they would do so. They may MENTION it at an event as a bonus to the main stuff, but in all likelihood it will simply be a website update, as it should be. What next, a Mac Pro event? Again, you're insane, and completely disconnected to what people give a shit about today. It's like you woke up from a 10 year slumber, enraged and frothing at the mouth at all the "iToys". Guess what- for most people, they're the future. It's where the money, excitement, consumer interest, developer interest, corporate interest, education interest is, etc. Mobile is the present and the future. Either accept that fact, or dont, but either way spare us from your asinine, mindless drivel. I don't even know what to say about calling making a similar screen size "copying". 


Edited by Slurpy - 10/2/12 at 10:26pm
post #97 of 98
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
You honestly believe Apple would make an event exclusively for an updated iMac? When was the last time they did that?

 

2007, when they redesigned it. So if it IS getting another redesign, it seems silly not to expect an event.

 

What next, a Mac Pro event?

 

Yes, that could very well be the next event chronologically. What, you think that Apple, who never talks about products early, who then talked about the Mac Pro early, WOULDN'T then give it an event? If it doesn't get an event, it's not getting redesigned. If it's not getting redesigned, it's not getting redefined. If it's not getting redefined, it should have been killed off months ago, as it would just be a death warrant to tell the entire industry to "wait for the 2013 update" and have it not be anything that couldn't have been given to us in 2012 when they wanted it.


Mobile is the present and the future.

 

Write an app for these mobile devices… on a mobile device. Make a feature film. Design a product. Record professional music.

 

They're not the "present". Not by a long shot. Too small, too weak, too stunted to be the present. Future's bright, though.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #98 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Write an app for these mobile devices… on a mobile device. Make a feature film. Design a product. Record professional music.

They're not the "present". Not by a long shot. Too small, too weak, too stunted to be the present. Future's bright, though.

 

You're taking a portion of his quote out of context. Put back the "It's where the money, excitement, consumer interest, developer interest, corporate interest, education interest is, etc."

 

I also think you're being pretty shortsighted. Even today, we have desktops in spite of having notebooks. We have workstations more powerful than desktops. Servers more powerful than workstations. Mainframes more powerful than servers. Supercomputers that wipe the floor with all of them. There will always be applications that need more power. When you need to step up to the next level.

 

But we still have many, many more notebooks out there than we do workstations. More servers than mainframes. More servers and mainframes than supercomputers.

 

And today "mobile", iPhones and iPads, are outselling MacBooks and iMacs by a huge margin. In fact, at the iPad 3 announcement Tim Cook revealed that Apple sold more iPads in Q4 2011 than any individual PC manufacturer sold of their PC devices in the same quarter. Double that when you include Androids.

 

The future is here, today. And if your sole criteria for denying that is the fact that you can't create an iPhone app using an iPhone, then you're missing the point, big time.

 

BTW, people are recording music on iPads. Professionally. And sketching and designing new products. And as to "make a feature film", Olive and Night Fishing were shot entirely on iPhones. As was a portion of the Avengers film. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported 'iPad mini' parts show front & back panels, LCD, nano-SIM tray